• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 379 Views, 48 Comments

Starting A Flame - Star_Shade



Follow the adventures of Dasher, as she joins the rebellion against Queen Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
2
 48
 379

Chapter [4] Breakdowns and a new friendship

“How is your candidate doing so far in training?” asked Shining Moon, starting off their weekly talk.

“She’s getting through it. It seems that Dasher struggles against the authority above her, talking back to the coaches. But I think she is getting used to the system we have,” said Moon Melody, after a brief pause.

“Has she made any friends? And are you still certain she has the potential to be a leader? I know that business the other day with the crates was a mess. Thankfully she was able to handle the situation and nopony was hurt, but I think she still has a long way to go,” said Shining Moon, beginning his usual ceremony of pacing.

“She seems resilient when it comes to making any friends, but I think that earth pony she saved has grown attached to her. If we push gently, Dasher’s attitude should turn around. When those two become friends, I think they will make a powerful team,” said Moon Melody, watching him.

“Perhaps, but our time is growing shorter. You and I both can feel the slow grip of Nightmare Moon around us. Our attempts have only slowed her progression. Soon, she will have all of Equestria under her hoof, and nopony will be able to stand up to her, ” continued Shining Moon. “That is why we need to accelerate our training and push them to the limit.”

“But is that wise? Sometimes the weak have an interesting way of defeating those that are strong,” replied Moon Melody whimsically.

“Maybe, maybe not. I do not think we can resolve our conflict by all sitting down and sharing a cup of tea. Nightmare Moon has gone beyond reasoning at this point. I mean, she left the moon in the sky! Yeah, she enchanted the land and us so that we can live, but her power continues to grow unchecked!” yelled Shining Moon, stomping his hoof. He sighed, his shoulders slumping. “All I can foresee in our future is a long and bloody civil war.”

“Does our future really look that bleak? I just hope we can be ready by then,” said Moon Melody, staring off into the distance.

“We may never be, but the dice have been cast. Our destinies have been wrapped in this. And to think we had the chance of a normal life.” Shining Moon chuckled sadly, shaking his head.

“That chance is long gone. We can only salvage what we have,” began Moon Melody, getting up to stand next to him. “Just because our lives have been changed doesn’t mean we personally can’t move on into other areas,” she said seductively, smiling at him.

“I know, but we cannot get sidetracked by our own selfishness. I know you want us to get married, but now is not the best time.” Shining Moon gripped her hoof gently, batting away her attempts. “Too many lives are counting on us, and a wedding would just complicate everything. When this is all over, if it is ever over, then we can try and pick up the pieces.”

“But will there be anything left?” said Moon Melody sadly. “Or will we drive ourselves into oblivion?”


Dasher could not fall asleep. I just wanted to show you some form of kindness for what you did. Those words had been eating away in the back of Dasher’s mind. Why had Moon Nettle said them? And why couldn’t Dasher stop thinking about them? She rolled over again in her bed, trying to find a comfortable position. Her muscles ached from the day's events, and the uneven military cot wasn’t helping.

Getting up, Dasher decided to stretch a bit. Making sure not to wake anyone else, she pulled away from her bed and stood up. Doing her normal routine, Dasher was just about to finish when her left ear twitched. She was able to pick up the sound of somepony crying a few bunks away.

Deciding to investigate, Dasher moved as quietly as she could. Finding the noise, she discovered Moon Nettle, with her back to the pegasus, crying softly.

Dasher hesitated, pawing at the ground. On one hoof, she could try to comfort the mare. But on the other, her own words were probably the reason for the distress in the first place.

However, her decision never came, as Moon Nettle rolled over and looked straight at her. Awkwardly, Dasher tried and failed to find an excuse of why she was standing there. Moon Nettle continued to stare at her, her face red and stained with tears. Finally, she broke the silence, saying, “Oh, it’s you.” There was no bitterness, no anger in her words.

“S… sorry, I heard you crying,” was all that Dasher could mumble out.

“It’s nothing,” replied Moon Nettle, turning away.

“Do you… want to talk about it?” asked Dasher, immediately regretting her words.

“What is there to talk about? I don’t know what I was thinking, joining this thing. I thought maybe I could make some friends, but no,” said Moon Nettle sadly. “And then, when you saved me, I thought, ‘There's your opportunity, Moon Nettle, don’t screw it up,’ but somehow, everytime I try, I fail. It’s like I am cursed or something.

“And you know the worst part?” continued Moon Nettle. “The worst part is when everypony is talking about you. Like an outsider, like somepony to be pitied. Sure they feel bad, but none of them ever do anything. I thought, since everypony talks like that about you, I thought I would break the mold, but nope.” Moon Nettle planted her face into her pillow, crying some more.

Dasher had never considered this. “I don’t know what to say,” she said simply.

“But you know how I feel, right? You know what it is like to not have a friend. That burning feeling of something missing inside of you. It eats you alive with the sense of no hope, and no pony to turn to when you're at your lowest point. I can’t be the only one who has felt like this. I just wish I could end it all,” said Moon Nettle seriously.

“No,” said Dasher, realizing what she was saying, “that won’t fix anything. I just…”

“Just what?” asked Moon Nettle.

“I just can’t lose another friend!” exclaimed Dasher. “That’s why I have been mean to everypony, including you, and why I haven’t tried. I think… I know that if I get close to somepony, that I will lose them too, and I can’t bear to go through that again.” Dasher slumped.

“Oh,” Moon Nettle said, recognition overtaking her features.

“I just had been so caught up in pushing others away, and your words reminded me… of my friend, and that is why I lashed out at you. I should have said something else. I know you only attempted to be kind to me. I just…” Dasher paused, sitting down and leaning against the cot, sighing. Moon Nettle continued to watch her.

“I guess what I am trying to say is… I am sorry,” apologized Dasher. “Do you… want to try again?” Joy immediately came upon Moon Nettle’s features.

“Yes!” she said happily, closing her eyes. Then Dasher turned and put on the best face she could muster.

“Then hi, I am Dasher,” she said, stretching out a hoof, which Moon Nettle seized.

“Hello Dasher, I am Moon Nettle. Pleased to meet you,” responded Moon Nettle, opening her eyes and smiling for the first time in a long time.

Author's Note:

Updated/edited v1.1, Like the last chapter, this one has been rewritten to pace better, I know that I had gotten rid of Zecora, but I plan on adding in a few chapters or so, but this (IMO) is much better than before. Also renamed the chapter to sound better. Moon Nettle is someone I can really resonate, as I struggle to make friends in general. Being without any good friends really pains me, and I try to reflect that in this character.