• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 379 Views, 48 Comments

Starting A Flame - Star_Shade



Follow the adventures of Dasher, as she joins the rebellion against Queen Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
2
 48
 379

Chapter [13] Daring escapades

“Alright, now to find my brother,” said Starfall. Moving to hide behind a nearby small hill, they watched as a group of six hooded creatures move to stand just outside the forest’s edge. “Five escaped and went into the forest. Find them! We leave none behind,” came the gruff voice of their leader.

“I don’t think we can take on three. We bought the girls as much time as we could, let’s just hope it is enough,” Piper whispered.

“Yeah. Look over there!” Starfall gestured to the playground. They watched as the creatures corralled a group of young foals into pens. “Look how many of them there are.”

“I think that’s at least a hundred of those creatures here. How did we not notice them?” exclaimed Piper, dismayed.

“They must have been scouting the area. I think I see Gnar in one of the pens,” Starfall replied.

“We have no chance against all of them. Come on. We need to make our way to the Sweet Apple Acres,” said Piper. Starfall looked at his friend with a pained look.

“I can’t leave my brother. I promised on my parent’s deathbed that I would take care of him. You go and make your way to the farm. The only way I can think of protecting him is to give myself up, and be with him,” began Starfall, getting up from their hiding spot.

“No! There has to be another way!” Piper cried, pushing him back down.

“What other way? This was all planned. I must make sure my brother is okay. I can only hope that we stay together,” Starfall choked up. “You don’t have any promises to keep. Go make sure the girls are alright. Keep them safe as best you can. Promise me that? And if you somehow escape, do your best to find a way to free the rest of us.”

“I promise,” mumbled Piper, crying. They hugged, and Starfall got up and left the treeline. Piper watched as his friend presented himself to the huge group.

“Hey look over there! Silly colt ‘prolly thought he could take us on, huh?” called one of the guards, as Starfall feigned an attack before getting knocked out. The hooded ones dragged his limp body away.

“I will get you free,” Piper whispered, heading back into the Everfree.


Finally arriving at the farm, Piper looked around. Checking for any indication he was being followed, he made sure to wait a few minutes behind a tree and listen. Hearing nothing , he quickly walked over to the simple house close to the barn. As Piper knocked, he began to feel light headed. Stars started forming in his vision. Shaking his head, he knocked harder. He thought he could pick out a voice, sounding far away. Was it just him, or was it hard to stand? He checked his bandage with a hoof, his vision blurred. Leaning against a rail to stable himself, Piper brought a hoof closer, inspecting it to see the red of blood. His vision darkened. “Now who in tarnation is knocking at my door at this time of the night cycle? Moon Bloom, you better not have been sent home early,” Applejack Moon called, opening the door. Expecting her sister, she gasped, finding a colt passed out, bleeding on her front porch.


Waking up with a beating headache, Piper groggily checked his surroundings. Had he been captured? Feeling underneath himself, he ran a hoof over a soft, leathery surface, a couch? Remembering his injury, he peaked beneath his blanket to see a second white bandage looped through his leg and onto his back. The original bow that had belonged to Moon Bloom was still there, a few pieces of pink peaking out. His ears rose. He froze when he heard someone moving in another room. Looking around, he took stock that he was in a house.

With another clanking noise, probably coming from the kitchen, Piper tried to sit up. He groaned in pain as his back sent a lightning strike of agony along his body. Lying back down, he felt another wave of nausea hit him. Tentatively poking the roof of his mouth with his parched tongue, he attempted to bring moisture back. Smacking his lips, dehydrated, he clenched his eyes shut as his headache dutifully reminded him of its new home inside of his head.

“Here, this should help, sugarcube,” said a voice. Applejack Moon crouched and gave him a cup of water.

“Thanks,” croaked Piper, eagerly taking the drink.

“Now I know a lot has happened, but can you tell me why you showed up to my house, bleeding out on my doorstep? And why ya have mah sister’s bow tied around your waist?” asked Applejack Moon.

“Wait, so your sister isn’t here?!” exclaimed Piper.

“Afraid not. Was she supposed to come here?” Applejack Moon said.

“Yeah. The school was attacked. The hooded ones attempted to foalnap all of us. Me, my friend Starfall and the girls escaped. We had to part ways because Starfall wanted to go back and save his younger brother, Gnar. Sadly, there were too many of them, and Starfall gave himself up in order to stay with his brother,” said Piper, turning his face away from her. A couple of tears fell down.

“And the other three were supposed to come here? Why?” continued Applejack Moon.

“I don’t know. Your sister suggested it. Maybe she thought you could help us,” Piper muttered dejectedly.

“I told her to keep quiet about that, but yeah, I could have helped you. I am in contact with important ponies that are working against the Queen,” said Applejack Moon, shaking her head and pursing her lips.

“Wait, really? Why don’t we go to them!” Piper exclaimed.

“Yeah well, I kind of fell out with them. I wanted to keep my sister safe, and I didn’t want to risk getting in trouble. But that doesn’t matter. Right now, I bet they will want to talk with you and ask you what is going on. Tell them everything you know,” Applejack Moon finished.

“Yeah. When can we go? We were kind of hunted,” Piper said sheepishly.

“As soon as my brother returns. He went into town to go see what is happening.” The mare shrugged.

“That may not be a good idea. These hooded creatures were pretty serious, showing no mercy to their victims,” said Piper, shivering slightly.

“My brother can handle himself, but if you are right, then we need to move soon. I’ll write a letter for him, you rest now, ” said Applejack Moon, getting up and leaving the room. Finding nothing else to do, Piper wriggled down, got comfortable and fell asleep again.


“Psst, wake up Piper,” whispered Applejack Moon, shaking him lightly. Piper groggily opened his eyes, looking around. It seemed like he had slept for only five minutes or so, but looking at the time revealed that he had rested for three full hours.

“What’s happening?” he whispered back.

“Those darn creatures have the house surrounded, cutting off our escape. They really, really want ya,” said Applejack Moon.

“But why me? I am just a normal colt from Trottingham. Why am I important?” wondered Piper. Feeling much better, he moved to get up.

“Hush now. We need to move. Follow me,” said Applejack Moon. The two moved through the house, doing their best to make as little noise as possible. As they crouched, Piper momentarily saw a few family pictures and heirlooms hanging from the walls. If he had time, he would have asked about some of them. Yet Applejack Moon beckoned him over to a door that swung open to reveal the basement.

“Why are we going into the basement?” he asked.

“We installed a tornado shelter a while back. We can use it to escape,” Applejack Moon said. Descending the stairs, she didn’t bother turning on any lights, as the room was aglow with moonlight. Continuing their journey, they came upon the tunnel that led outside. Doing their best to continue sneaking away, they came to the door which opened into a clearing.

“You sure we won’t get spotted?” whispered Piper as he watched Applejack Moon stick her head out.

“All clear, let’s go!” hissed Applejack Moon, stepping out. Closing the door behind them, cringing slightly at the small noise it made as the bar slid into place, Applejack Moon peered around again. Grabbing Piper and ducking to the earth floor, she held a hoof over his mouth and pointed to a hooded creature sweeping the area. Waiting until it passed, they continued to slink across the ground, hoping beyond hope that they made no sound.

Picking up the pace again, Piper suddenly felt another jab of pain in his back. Trying to mask his grunt, he tripped and landed down hard. The sentry swiveled its head, noticing the two ponies frozen in place. Just before Applejack Moon could reach it, it let out a yell. “Over here! They are making--” was all it got to say before Applejack Moon bucked it.

“Run!” Applejack Moon yelled, looking around before noticing Piper still prone on the ground. Sprinting over to him, she hoisted the colt over her shoulders and made a beeline for the forest. Bobbing her head in full gallop, she could hear cries of warning coming from all around her, following her in the trees. Doing her best to weave and dodge, she just hoped she was going in the right direction.


Pausing only for a moment to catch her breath, Applejack Moon looked around. Her ears swiveled, picking up the multiple forms still chasing her. They were probably only a couple hundred meters away from her, so she only had a few seconds to rest. Checking the unconscious Piper again, she grimaced at the bandage now undone, leaking precious amounts of blood down her sides. She inhaled as much air as she could, before starting her marathon pace again.

Finally reaching the familiar spot, she supported her weight against a tree and gasped a few times. Frantically looking around, she recognized the designated teleportation spot and tree. She knew it was against protocol to bring known enemies so close to the spot, and that the magic could be traced, but she didn’t care.

Doing one more sweep to make sure she was somewhat alone, Applejack Moon strained her ears for anything, and heard… nothing. Coming to the tree, she banged it three times. A metal grate in the bark slid across, revealing two eyes staring back at her from within the tree. “Code words?” said a monotone voice.

“Uh… Requesting access to the huggermugger. Entry level one!” Applejack Moon exclaimed. “And make it fast! We are being chased.”

“You know the rules, we can’t let somepony in if there are others viewing,” said the voice.

“Then send one of your agents over here! I have a foal with me!” Applejack Moon stomped her hoof.

“Very well. Sending reinforcements,” the voice said.

Applejack Moon heard a crack. It seemed like the remaining hooded ones had found her and Piper. Putting her back to the tree, she laid Piper behind her softly. Watching as the creatures circled her, she took her final stance, ready to buck any of them that came near. Two immediately ran to her. She twisted and bucked the first, sending it sprawling off. She ducked the second’s attempts at pinning her and sent it on its way.
Three more were upon her. Dodging a right hook, she punched and pushed, but she couldn’t take both simultaneously. The remaining three drew closer. She tried to return their kicks, but the wall of mass was too close. Getting her legs swept from under her, she grabbed Piper. Bringing the colt closer to her, she attempted to shield him with her body. The last thing Applejack Moon could remember was the sound of one of her ribs being broken, and the crack of magic in the air, before she succumbed to the raining assault.

Author's Note:

And thus the little finale of my three part run. I wouldn't be surprised if we get more POV's of Piper in the future. :trixieshiftright: But anyway, I really want to thank EverfreePony for helping me with editing the story.