• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 379 Views, 48 Comments

Starting A Flame - Star_Shade



Follow the adventures of Dasher, as she joins the rebellion against Queen Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
2
 48
 379

Chapter [11] Unsettling perspectives

“Piper!” came a voice. “I asked you a question. Were you paying attention?”

“Ah yes, Miss Cheery,” said Piper, turning his gaze from the window to the teacher. Looking at the chalkboard, he did the math problem in his head. “Uh, X equals four?”

“Yes, thank you for solving the equation, but I asked you to close the window you were looking through. It seems like somepony wasn’t paying attention,” Miss Cheery remarked. Piper blushed and went to close the window. Returning to his seat, he focused back on the lesson.

“Psst, are doing okay, Piper?” whispered Starfall. Piper looked to the larger colt and smiled at him.

“Yeah,” replied Piper in an equally hushed tone, “just thinking about getting home and opening--”.”

“Boys! Please pay attention!” Miss Cheery called, tapping a hoof on her desk.

“We can talk at lunch,” Starfall whispered when Miss Cheery’s back was turned.


“Dude, you should have seen your face when you answered the problem. I think everypony in class was doing their best to hide their laughter.” Starfall chuckled, gesturing wildly with his sandwich in his magical grasp.

“Yeah, probably not my best moment. My mind has just been elsewhere today. You know that package that my parents are getting for my twelfth birthday? It’s supposed to come today!” Piper exclaimed.

“Wait, really. The package?” said Starfall, surprised.

“Yes! The package, which contains General Nightwing and troops. I can’t wait to open it. Imagine all the adventures we will have!” Piper squeaked enthusiastically.

“Yeah, that sounds amazing,” Starfall breathed, then went into a more militaristic position, puffing out his chest. “General Piper, leading his troops valiantly into battle. Facing off the most dangerous monsters that Equestria has ever known.”

“Quit it,” said Piper, playfully poking his friend. “Just because I am the general doesn’t mean you won’t play a part.”

“Of course! Who else will advise the great general? You aren’t the only smart one here,” Starfall replied.

“Yeah, it really stinks that you were never able to get into The School for Gifted Unicorns,” Piper mumbled.

“Yeah, but I can’t pursue too big of an education. I promised my parents on their deathbed that I would take care of Gnar,” Starfall said, crestfallen. His brother was two years younger than him, and he loved him with all his heart. Every day he felt the weight of losing his parents and having to take care of themselves.

“Hey, cheer up. You and I both know what it feels like to move from a big city to a small town like Ponyville. At least you have a sibling. It stinks being an only child and still being seen just as a little pipsqueak,” Piper huffed.

“At least you don’t have to share everything you get. Speaking of my brother, I need to go knock those two knuckleheads who are talking with him.” Starfall sighed, motioning to another table where Moon Gnar was getting into a heated conversation with two unicorns by the names of Snipper and Snailer Moon.

With the lunchroom alive with conversation. Starfall got up from his seat and walked to the three smaller colts. When Gnar saw his brother come over, he immediately stopped talking. They were too far away for Piper to pick up any of the words that Snipper and Snailer said, but a stern stare from Starfall hushed them. It seemed like just two words from Starfall made both immediately get up and move to another table.

Shaking his head in amazement, Piper watched in awe as his friend brought his brother over to their table. “Sorry about that, Piper. Just had to clear up something,” Starfall muttered. It seemed Gnar shared the same look of awe with Piper, as his face was stuck in an “o” expression. Starfall sat across from Piper, helping his brother up next to him.

“Uh, no problem. What did you say to them?” Piper asked, supporting his chin with a hoof.

“Oh nothing. Anyway, Piper, tell Gnar what package you are expecting today,” Starfall said.

“Huh? Oh yeah. I just ordered the newest figurine of General Nightwing. First in the production. Did you know that he was the son of one of the founding three pillars? He led the pegasus army in one of the greatest battles of all time,” Piper started excitedly. Gnar switched his gaze over to Piper, his eyes widening in wonder as he listened to the colt’s words.

“Yeah, and he was one of the smartest tactical generals to have ever lived,” Starfall added.

“Yeah, most of his troops were outnumbered by four or five to one ratio. Yet that didn’t stop him from achieving victory. He was one of the few pegasi that went hoof to claw with dragons. He was unbeatable on the battlefield,” Piper said proudly, clapping his white-brown hooves together.

“And you got a figurine of him?” asked Gnar.

“Not just his figurine, I think the set comes with a good chunk of his battalion!. It should come today, and me and Starfall will get to play with him as soon as school is over,” continued Piper.

“Maybe a few hours after school. I still have some work to do over at Mr. Dravenport’s place. After I am done with him, I can swing by,” Starfall said.

“Oh yeah, I forgot. Anyway, maybe you can come too, Gnar,” Piper offered.

“Yeah!” Gnar exclaimed happily.


“Do you ever think of what you want to do with your life, Piper?” asked Starfall at recess. The two sat at the top part of one of the playground sets overlooking the area. Foals of all ages laughed and played with each other below them.

“Dunno. Maybe when I get my cutie mark, I can figure out what I can do,” Piper said. “What about you?

“My life hasn’t really been going great. No thanks to Dawn Lighter,” Starfall muttered sourly.

“But your whole family tried their best to find a cure! Your brother and your mom even went to the official Canterlot library to search. Some things just can’t be helped or fixed,” Piper said, shrugging.

“Maybe, but if I was smarter or had been a little older and gone to the school, I could have saved them. I shouldn’t have put my trust in Dawn Lighter to help my parents,” continued Starfall.

“I know that it can be hard. But I am sure she was super busy and just forgot about you.” Piper patted his shoulder.

“Forgot about us, yeah. Because of her ignorance my parents are dead,” Starfall growled.

“And I am sorry about that,” Piper said quietly.

“But that doesn’t matter now, at least I have my best friend with me.” Starfall smiled, perking up. Looking around once more, he noticed a certain hooded creature surveying the area. “Hey, look over there.” He pointed. “Do you see that thing? Isn’t that one of the Queen’s ‘hooded ones’ or something?”

“Yeah, you are right. What is it doing here?” Piper craned his neck and cocked an eyebrow, curiously scanning the shady figure up and down.

“Dunno, let’s check it out,” said Starfall. As the two descended, Starfall shimmying down a poll, Piper going down a slide, they grouped back together to look around. Yet their search proved futile.

“Huh, it must have left,” Piper remarked.

“Yeah, guess so.” Starfall nodded, though a spark of suspicion remained in his eyes.


With only a few minutes left for recess, the two looked around, trying to find something to burn the time. They came upon five ponies talking with each other, three of which faced the other two. “Hey look, it’s the CMC,” said Starfall.

“And Moon Bloom,” said Piper, his eyes going starry. It was not secret between the two that they each had a crush on the crusaders.

“They look like they are fighting over something. Should we go over to them?” Starfall asked.

“Are you crazy?! What if I say something stupid?” sputtered Piper.

“Come on, you need to be more fearless. Just treat them like a normal pony.” Starfall winked at him.

“Fine, let’s go see what is happening,” Piper said. As they walked over, they could pick up some of the conversation.

“--plus she isn’t even cool anymore! I bet she locked herself in that nature pony’s house and won’t come out till she dies of old age,” snarked Moon Tiara as the two colts drew closer.

“That’s not true! Mah sister told me she had tuh leave Ponyville for something important!” replied Moon Bloom in defense.

“I don’t believe that. I bet your sister is lying to you just so she doesn’t have to tell you the truth of what kind of pony Dasher is now,” continued Moon Tiara smugly.

“Did you just call mah sister a lier!?” exclaimed Moon Bloom, stomping her hoof in indignation.

“Yeah, I bet she doesn’t trust you ‘cus you're too nosy in others' business. What was Dasher even to you anyway? She was known to be the laziest pony to have ever lived, and what kind of name is Dasher? Like a pack animal or ugly beast of burden kind of name,” said Moon Tiara, curling her lip.

“It’s not nice to speak badly about a pony who isn’t here to defend herself,” Piper called as the two stepped beside the crusaders.

“No one asked for your opinion, blank flank,” Moon Tiara countered.

“Everypony’s opinion is important. As it seems, the four of us value his opinion just as much we value yours,” said Starfall smugly, gesturing to the crusaders.

“Yeah, nopony should be left out!” Moon Bloom cried. Piper blushed slightly at her words.

“Whatever, we have more important things to do. Later, blank flanks. Come on, Moon Spoon,” Tiara grumbled, marching off with her friend following in her wake.

“Thanks, guys. Those two can be annoying sometimes.” Moon Scoots beamed at them.

“No problem,” replied Starfall, blushing a little. “I am guessing they were picking on Dasher, since she hasn’t been seen for a long time?”

“Yeah, we haven’t heard anything from her. I asked my sister, and she told me she left Ponyville,” Moon Belle commented.

“Weird. Maybe she knows something we don’t?” Piper offered.

“I doubt it, she liked to tell me certain secrets she found. I remember when she first learned of Miss Cup’s pregnancy and wanted to prank Mr. Carrot,” giggled Moon Scoots, remembering the fond memory.

“I don’t know. Something strange is going on. I mean, it’s been six months since the school year started. Maybe I am just on edge after seeing that hooded one,” said Starfall.

“You saw one today? Did you see what was under the hood?” asked Moon Bloom curiously.

“No, me and Starfall were at the top of the playset when we saw it. It was surveying the area or something. It’s probably nothing.” Piper waved his hoof. Though Starfall felt differently, absently stroking his chin in thought.

“Well, no need to be paranoid. It’s not like something bad will happen or anything,” Moon Belle said nonchalantly. Then the bell rang, signaling the end of recess.

Author's Note:

So I am re-uploading these last three chapters so that people can know that I am working on the story more. I highly recommend re-reading this entire story over, as I have added like, another 5K words of content.