• Published 23rd Oct 2019
  • 2,319 Views, 143 Comments

Dear Diary - KitsuneRisu



These are the final pages of the diary of Fluttershy, collected from her home and from the waters of the pond by her retreat. We hope she returns to us soon.

  • ...
3
 143
 2,319

20th of March, 1129, Wednesday (cont. 3)

20th of March, 1129, Wednesday (cont. 3)

Oh! Late entry!

Rainbow came back. Really late, but she flew in, face pale, sweat dripping off her hooves. I’d never seen her like this before!

She thrust an old, dusty book into my hooves, telling me with quaking voice to take it and burn it. She told me that she was going to take the object that she found and fly it to a volcano and drop it in.

That sounded so incredibly unlike her.

Of course, I stopped her, calmed her down with a bit of tea, and asked her what was going on.

She told me she had been in the library for a while now. Looking and searching and seeking. And finally she found a book that was covered in cobwebs and faded yellow, written entirely by hoof that had a very strange story inside.

The story was about a pony who once lived in town much like mine, a pony who wrote books. One day, she was visited by a friend who gave her a gift. The gift then whispered the world to her and she vanished into the sea.

And the scary thing, Rainbow told me, was that the story said that it would happen in ‘ten days from now’ and it ended with:

‘You can not save them, Rainbow Dash.’

This, of course, made no sense to me. I was never a very brave pony who enjoyed scary stories, but this one seemed to be quite tame and quite lacking in detail.

But Rainbow assured me that somehow, she knew exactly what it meant. But she didn’t know what it was about.

She said it was like ‘seeing the edges of things’ or something like that. At that point, Rainbow had descended once more into a frantic mess of nerves and shallow breathing.

I had to be sure, and so I asked Rainbow to show me the story in the pages. But try as she might, she couldn’t find a single hint of the story.

All that was left in the book were strange scratchings in a language that was unknown to either of us, and maps and drawings of odd shapes that I can’t quite identify but seem oddly familiar. They almost look like shadows of shapes in the dark. Like cut-outs of reality that keep no edge and no form.

I told Rainbow that she was exhausted from three full days of busy searching. The silly girl didn’t even realise it had been that long. The spookiness of the library must have gotten to her and conjured up strange stories and frightening glimmers.

She went to bed. I told her we’d sort this out in the morning. And we shall!

As for the book and her stuff, they’re here with me now, next to me on my nightstand. I think she might be acting in haste, and until I find out what she’s so frightened about, I don’t think I should go around destroying whatever last clues we have

Okay

That’s weird.

I’ve totally forgotten what Rainbow came here for.

I’m also very tired. I’ll definitely ask her tomorrow.

Yes, let me get some sleep.

The way the moonlight bounces off the strange carved stone thing is honestly quite peculiarly beautiful.