• Published 1st Nov 2019
  • 3,940 Views, 606 Comments

Sweetie Belle - Hogwarts Exchange Student - Georg



Sweetie Belle is about to go on the educational experience of her lifetime at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. In exchange, Theodore Nott is going to have a Seventh Year beyond any of his expectations. In Equestria.

  • ...
7
 606
 3,940

1. Sending Day

Sweetie Belle - Hogwarts Exchange Student
Sending Day


Uncounted mages, wizards, warlocks, dragons, druids, illusionists, necromancers and such swear that they know how to control magic, bend it to their will, and force it to do what they wanted.

They’re all wrong.

Only a few of the most powerful know the truth.

Magic just appreciates the attention.

Oh, there are rules where if a practitioner of the art were to wriggle his eyebrows just right while putting a pedal extremity forth and speaking a certain phrase, magic will bring a fire into being, but then again, the same practitioner will happily open a container of food for their pet when subjected to a plaintive ‘meow’ and nose-rub while not seeing the parallel at all.

It was a blind spot which most wizards were (of course) blind about, particularly the type of wizard who attempted to reach for unattainable power by warping and twisting magic into painful shapes which it did not like.

However…

Even the most insane wizard has certain lines they will not cross, crypts they will not open, or spells they keep locked away, not only against their multitudinous enemies, but against any allies they might have also. Remember, they are not the only creatures in the world who desire power, and one universal truth of the power-mad is a reluctance to share.

And a second truth is: once they are gone, what they have locked away remains.

This is why when heroes arise to battle the forces of darkness and cast them down into destruction, they should be very careful afterward instead of celebrating their victory. Sometimes, what lies in wait for them is worse than what they just defeated.

After all, the deeper darkness is very patient.

And hungry.

- - Ω - -

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry had been tattered and battered over its thousand years of existence, with generation after generation of alumni adding to the enchantments that layered its walls and protected the students inside. The end result of Lord Voldemort’s destruction a few months ago had been an enormous reshuffling of the ancient protective wards, both from the destruction rained down on the castle during the assault and the vigorous rebuilding afterwards. Every living wizard and witch who had ever walked its halls wanted to return, some merely to be comforted at the final death of the Dark wizard who had terrified them all for so long, others simply to help.

Regardless of their talent or ability, the school welcomed all of their assistance, and in the end, even the most stubborn members of the school council determined that Hogwarts was as well-defended as ever. Even a budding student of magic knows better than to mix two small spells for fear of them interacting in an explosive fashion, but these far wiser and older heads had no problem layering enchantments of vast complexity against the older spells until not even the wisest or most senile of their lot could make heads or tails out of the result.

Once the dust had settled and the final enchantments laid against the foundations, Headmistress McGonagall returned to work with all the confidence of a fireworks saleslady in the middle of a raging forest fire.

Despite her age and experience, she did not understand just why Hogwarts had not gone up in a whoosh of flame before the reconstruction was all over, but of course, one does not need to understand something to influence it, or the race of mankind would have died out centuries ago when confronted by the race of womankind. Sometimes, all that was needed was a little compassion, a few flowers planted along the southern beds, and long hours spent listening to the creaks and groans of the ancient structure while nodding on occasion. It was something which McGonagall had already puzzled over for every year she had been a teacher at Hogwarts, and becoming a Head of House had not enlightened her any more. Now that she had gained the title of Headmistress — which included a patched pointed hat which would have constantly fallen down over her eyes if she had dared to wear it — she was just as much in the dark as ever.

What was worse, the whistle of wind through the ancient structure and the pops of thermal expansion and contraction were starting to make sense, but only when she was focusing her attention on other school-related tasks, such as sending letters.

“Wyvern, Jill.” After the short list of names, a reluctant silence settled into the headmaster’s office, mostly muted due to the various whirling or burbling pieces of wizardly knick-knacks and oddments which the current Headmistress had not seen fit to remove, and which provided an uncomfortable reminder of the fate of the last two headmasters.

Most of their portraits remained silent with the elderly witches and wizards dozing in their chairs, but Dumbledore’s picture frame remained stubbornly empty, most likely as a sign that she should trust in her own instincts instead of consulting what he would call ‘an old fool who has already made enough mistakes for two lifetimes.’ Despite her best efforts, her eyes traced to one side where there was an empty spot that Minerva McGonagall had determined would never hold Headmaster Snape’s portrait as long as she drew breath. Someday whatever small fraction of her spirit was left behind would reside in her own portrait on that wall, and having Snape glowering at her elbow through the rest of her afterlife was not anything she really wished to contemplate in this tense time.

The Heads of Houses had gathered to oversee the task of sending out Letters for the next school year, just the four of them around the hulking oak monstrosity of a desk that even Dumbledore had cursed over when a sticky drawer refused to budge. The human companionship was needed for all of them, far more than ever. They never could have gotten through this one simple task without each other’s assistance, although one other thing was on all of their minds.

Voldemort is dead. What now?

It was the question she saw in all three of their tense faces, from Flitwick who had taken to cultivating the arrangement of his mustache and toupee one hair at a time to Pomona Sprout’s packages of Fitwell’s Fading Fudge which she constantly tried to press upon all of her fellow teachers. Even Horace Slughorn had developed a faint redness to his nose and reeked of firewhisky at the most inappropriate times of the morning.

“So,” said Slughorn. “That’s it, I suppose. Twenty students in the whole First Year class at most, and I doubt if two or three will be Slytherin. That is if any of them actually show up.”

“You can’t really blame the parents,” said Professor Sprout, who had silently twisted one of the fudge wrappers into a foil flower while listening to the short names being read off.

“They blame us, or at least some of them do.” Minerva raised her wand and let the desk do most of the work, duplicating the introductory letter and list of requirements for each of the young wizards or witches who would attend Hogwarts for their first time in a few weeks. “I can’t say I blame them for it one bit. It’s human nature, after all. I doubt if the Wizengamot has half of the same members as I saw just last year, what with all of the resignations and accusations.”

“And deaths,” said Flitwick, in a most unexpectedly grim tone for his squeaky voice. “The goblins are restless, for starters, and a number of the forces who defied Voldemort to assist our side are quietly chafing at what they see as an inadequate amount of appreciation for their sacrifice. Remember Dobby.”

He paused and placed his wand on the old desk with the faintest click of ancient wood against wood. “A house elf died to save Harry Potter. Very little has been said about what happened at Malfoy Manor, but a house elf attacked a wizard and took his wand, that much is certain. Without that willing sacrifice, The Boy Who Lived would have died.”

“There were many sacrifices in these past dark days.” Professor Slughorn’s voice was strained, nearly trembling. “So many of us.”

“Not only wizards and witches.” Flitwick stretched out one long-fingered hand, a legacy of his goblin ancestry, and tapped the handle of his wand. “Dobby’s death brought repercussions nobody expected. The timid house elves of Hogwarts rallied to its defense, raising arms against the attackers and shedding wizard blood in the process. All of the major wizarding Houses have house elves. Every one of them. What would become of our world if they decided to pick up wands to shape it, instead of being shaped by it? All of the wizarding world could be shaken to its foundations.”

The old professor’s lips grew thin. “Worse, or better in some regards, is the way other forces reacted to Dobby’s death. Dark wizards have fled to places they considered to be relatively safe, only to be found slain in the most gruesome of fashions. I understand why the students are afraid. They are not alone.”

“It’s not just the new students who are reluctant.” Professor McGonagall took a different stack of letters off the sideboard of the desk and placed them on the table between them. “So many of the older children need time to recover, to grieve for their losses, or try to forget. I’ve gotten no end of letters from some of our best and brightest students. The young may recover faster from loss, but this violence in the heart of what they thought to be a safe harbor strikes right at their hearts. The main hall will be so empty.”

Professor Sprout placed her folded foil flower on top of the pile, where it took root and began to bloom. “As long as a single student wishes to return to Hogwarts, I’ll be here to teach them. Remember what Dumbledore said. While we may come from different places and speak different tongues, our hearts beat as one. That unity is threatened if we retreat, if the families of wizards across the land turn inward to hide instead of joining together. Minerva, I know you’ve talked about sending the students to other schools, but where would you send them? Durmstrang? They’re in a worse tizzy than anywhere else with the loss of their Headmaster. Beauxbatons might take them, particularly if Hagrid were to do the asking, but they’d be isolated, never accepted as fellow students. And Ilvermorny?” Professor Sprout rolled her eyes. “They’d be dressing in breach-clothes and running half naked around the forest.”

“The Americans are not that bad, Pomona,” scolded Professor McGonagall mildly. “Besides, it would only be for a year while we…”

She trailed off, absently looking up at where Fawkes was quietly preening. There had been almost a noise of some sort, a settling of stones deep in the castle structure that caused a light breeze to blow in from the open window, and a voice that might have said something she could have understood if she were a building too.

“While the school crumbles, and the wizarding world becomes more disjointed,” said Flitwick. “The World Quidditch Cup has been cancelled and reinstated so many times until I’m not sure even Kingsley Shacklebolt is going to be able to bring it off. It will not be any easier to open the school after a year, or two, or even three. Hogwarts lives because wizards are united, despite our differences. Wizards from all over the world have learned far more than simple spells and charms here. They have learned to compete against each other while working together, purebloods and the lowest of muggleborn in concert. They may squabble and fight just like our founders, but they form unbreakable bonds that surpass any mortal expectation. Send the children away and there is no reason for the school to exist at all.”

Professor Slughorn plucked a piece of fudge from the open box and began opening the foil wrapper. “Well, there’s one student I wouldn’t mind sending away. It’s always the quiet ones with the best scores who are the most dangerous. You can’t tell what they’re thinking, and when they’re in my house, that’s never good. He’s coming back this year to finish up his N.E.W.T. examinations and heavens only knows what else he’s up to.”

“Several of the students who otherwise would have graduated are returning for their exams and to provide assistance,” said Professor McGonagall, flicking her wand to lay out a number of letters on the table. “You should be grateful. They will provide a semblance of order among the other students.”

“Or a bunch of Weasleys' Wildfire Whiz-bangs dropped into the fireworks box,” countered Professor Slughorn before popping the chunk of fudge into his mouth and chewing with a very dissatisfied expression.

The rustling of envelope stuffing at the table stopped and Headmaster McGonagall picked up the stack of addressed letters, ready to be delivered to the Owlery and out to the students. That is all of the letters except for one addressed to a First Year, which had not found an envelope.

“Strange,” said Flitwick as he reached for the letter, only to pull his hand back and give a short nod to the headmistress. McGonagall scooped up the letter instead, giving it a short perusal and stopping at the name.

“Sweetie Belle? It’s spelled differently than Katie, so it could be a different family.” She passed the letter around the circle of teachers for each of them to examine, but all of them were just as baffled.

“The castle magic has never sent an incorrect letter,” said Flitwick. “Ever. Not since the founding of the school. Rowena Ravenclaw would never stand for it.”

They were all still puzzling over the errant acceptance letter when there was a flare of light and heat, then suddenly there were two phoenix sitting on Fawkes’ perch, one of which was slightly smaller and more colorful than the other. They exchanged a series of calls and clicking beaks, rubbed their necks together, then began to chirp and click back and forth like two old women who had not seen each other in weeks catching up on gossip.

“Oh, bloody hell,” said Slughorn. “There’s two of them now.”

Flitwick picked up his wand and gave it a flick, causing an unnoticed letter to swoop up into the air from under the perch and land on the table in front of McGonagall, although all four teachers gave it a long and slightly disconcerted stare.

To: Headmaster, Hogwarts School for Witches and Wizards. Most urgent.

“I still feel like I’m reading somebody else’s mail,” muttered McGonagall while using her wand to open the envelope and remove the letter, keeping the rest of her comments to herself. There were quite a few sheets of thick paper inside, and as she finished one, she passed it along to the next head of house, until they all were engrossed in the reading.

“Preposterous,” scoffed Slughorn. “Most probably a prank from that Weasley fellow.”

“Doubtful,” said Professor McGonagall. She floated over a quill and settled down at the desk to write a response, under the assumption that the new phoenix ‘Philomena’ could be coaxed into returning a letter, if bribed with one of the Weasley Wizard Wheezes candies that Fawkes found so tasty. “If not, we may have found a solution for your Mister Nott. How would you feel about an exchange student in your classes.”

Slughorn merely frowned and grumbled. “In exchange for what kind scheming, plotting, conniving weasel?”

- - Ω - -

One month later

“I still can’t believe it, Sweetie!”

Three young ponies danced around the room, their clattering hooves on the crystal floor making a racket loud enough to nearly overwhelm their exuberant voices. It was the last time they would be together for a while, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders (with marks) were making the best of it. They had eagerly cheered and chattered around Ponyville when Sweetie found out about her new scholarship, thrilled at the party Pinkie Pie put on for her, talked all the way to the Crystal Empire on the train and most of last night during the sleepover, and had just a few minutes before Sweetie was scheduled to leave on her strange new adventure.

“A whole year! You get to help ponies from another whole world with their cutie mark problems for a year!”

“Girls!” trilled Rarity, taking a quick peek into the room from the hallway. “Do try to control yourselves. Twilight and Princess Celestia are getting the mirror set up now, so you only have a few more minutes to…” Rarity’s nose trembled and a thin trail of tears added to the smears tracking down her smudged mascara. “I’m fine,” she asserted with a tremor in her voice. “Princess Celestia says you will be back for Hearth’s Warming, and—” there was a quiet sniff that certainly would be denied “—I can wait that long.”

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo exchanged looks, then gave Sweetie Belle a hard push in the flank that bumped her into Rarity and a subsequent crushing hug between both unicorn sisters.

“We’ve got this.” Scootaloo held up a book and waved it around. “Twilight says this book is just like the one she exchanged with Sunset Shimmer. We can write every day and tell you all about our cutie mark projects and you can do the same.”

“Yeah!” cheered Apple Bloom. “It’ll be just like you’re around the corner, and Philomena can carry packages back and forth if’n you need some fresh apples or anything.”

After wiping away some more not-tears, Rarity suppressed the quaver in her voice enough to ask, “Are you sure you don’t need any more luggage? Or a few more gemstones? I mean only one saddlebag for an entire year? What if they wear clothes where you’re going? I could send—”

“You already tried to get me to take luggage,” said Sweetie. “The chariot couldn’t get off the ground, remember? Besides, Celestia said all I need is a few gems to buy personal stuff while at school.”

“Yeah!” said Scootaloo, punching the air with one hoof. “You’re even getting a ship.”

“Ah don’t think that’s what a scholarship is,” said Apple Bloom.