• Published 19th Oct 2019
  • 5,361 Views, 212 Comments

The Dawn of a New Mission - ScorchingFlamesInc



For the first time in a long time, the cutie map summons a particular student of Twilight Sparkle to solve a friendship problem. The problem? Teach three familiar characters the power of friendship. It won’t be easy.

  • ...
11
 212
 5,361

Chapter 5: Answers

Luster Dawn quickly used an invisibility spell she learned in magic school to hide herself as Queen Chrysalis, Lord Tirek, and Cozy Glow all got on their hooves. She didn’t want to be noticed right away, and she wanted to learn about them more.

“Ugh... What just happened?” asked Cozy Glow, rubbing her head.

“Last thing I remember, those pathetic Princesses and Discord cast the stone sleep spell on us.” said Chrysalis.

“Makes sense if it was stone sleep. If it was the other stone spell, we could hear the reasons for WHY we’re here!” Tirek stated.

“Well, we’re free NOW! Maybe we could get out of here and thank whoever freed us. Maybe they could help us to conquer Equestria,” Cozy said, with high confidence in her voice, as if she thinks the other two villains will continue to work with her.

“What do you mean WE?!?!” Chrysalis said. “You all could have blasted Twilight instead of listening to her speech! INSTEAD, we got defeated AGAIN and TURNED to STONE!!!!!”

“Um... HELLO?!?! YOU didn’t do anything EITHER!!!” Tirek stated.

“OH YEAH?!?!? Well, YOU or Cozy could’ve snapped me out of it, OR you could have tried to attack her YOURSELVES!!!!!” Chrysalis rebutted.

“Maybe, if you had given ME more magic, I could have destroyed them ALL with one blast at ANYTIME!!” Cozy said. She then arched her back up, straining, before she regained her original posture. “W-WHY CAN’T I FLY?!?!”

“Um...” Luster spoke up. “I think I can explain everything...”

Luster Dawn suddenly appeared in front of the trio as she deactivated the spell.

“Obviously more than why you can’t fly, of course.”

“WHO in the hay are YOU?” Chrysalis asked, a scowl on her face as she pointed her hole-filled hoof to the unicorn.

“I am Luster Dawn. Twilight Sparkle’s student.”

“TWILIGHT SPARKLE!?!?!?!” Chrysalis yelled alarmingly, revenge and anger in her voice. She leaped at Luster and pointed her horn at the surprisingly brave-looking unicorn. Nothing happened.

Chrysalis lifted her head. “Wha-“ she pointed her horn at Luster again. “WHAT HAPPENED TO MY MAGIC?!?! Tirek, can YOU do anything? STEAL HER MAGIC ALREADY!!”

Tirek stepped forward next to Chrysalis’ left, leaving Cozy behind. He opened his mouth and inhaled. Nothing happened.

“I can’t do anything either!”

Cozy stepped forward next to Chrysalis’ right. “WHAT HAPPENED TO US?!?!” she asked in a commanding tone, stomping her hoof.

“If you don’t try to destroy me, I can tell you.”

Chrysalis opened her mouth to speak.

“And don’t think of physically beating me either. I have magic too, you know,” Luster said.

Chrysalis closed her mouth, before speaking again.

“I can just FLY out of here. Cozy may not, but I CAN!!!” Chrysalis arched up her back, and strained.

“You can’t fly either you know.”

“Sweet mother of... I CAN JUST RUN OUT OF HERE!!!” Chrysalis suddenly ran forward, laughing maniacally. Luster jumped out of her way, landing on her stomach. She rolled onto her back and saw Tirek and Cozy following suit.

All Luster did was grin.

“They’ll be back,” Luster said. “They’ll be back.”

***

It was already dusk. Luster sat on one of the logs, with the warm fire comforting her. She knew the villains would come back. At some point.
“AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!”

The sound of all three villains screaming suddenly echoed in the field. Luster turned her head to the left to see Chrysalis, then Tirek, and then Cozy, bursting out of the forest. Chrysalis stopped first, panting. Tirek once again stopped on Chrysalis’ left, and Cozy once again stopped on her right. Both were also panting. Luster couldn’t help but wonder if they were ALWAYS in that order when they were in a line.

The panting lasted for a minute. Chrysalis was the first to snap out of it. She cleared her throat before walking over to one of the logs. She sat on the one in front of Luster. She glared at Tirek and Cozy Glow. They took one look at her, before they ceased the panting, looked at each other, nodded, and headed over.

Tirek took the log on Luster’s left. Cozy took the one on the right. Now Luster was certain that where they place themselves is intentional. Wouldn’t hurt to ask. At some point.

Chrysalis said only one thing.

“Talk!”

“It would make sense if you asked me a question, first.”

“Listen! I’ve already been humiliated for the fourth time in my life, and we have nowhere else to go. Before we ran out of that... forest, we agreed to try and get answers from you if we had no choice but to stay here. After that, we would try to avoid you as MUCH as possible. Now talk! How long have we been in stone?”

Luster cleared her throat.

“Well... my guess is... I don’t know. Princess Twilight never gave me a specific date when she told me about you. She only said ‘a while before my coronation.’ “

“Hold up. Hold up.” Cozy began. “Coronation?”

“Yeah. Princess Twilight has been the princess of Equestria for years. She was crowned before I was born.”

“Great! That’s JUST great!” The filly huffed.

“Any OTHER changes in Equestria?” Tirek asked.

“I was told all creatures used to live separately. Now, they all life in a mixed community. Yaks. Dragons. Changelings. You name them.”

“I see.” Chrysalis said, a low growl in her voice. “And WHAT convinced the Princess to free us?!? And why do we have to be stuck with YOU?!?!” Luster could have sworn Chrysalis’ eye twitched when she asked.

“Well...” Luster began. “It started earlier today. I got an important letter from the Princess telling me to meet her at her old castle. When I got there, she and her royal advisor, Spike, showed me this cutie map.”

“I think I learned about that map in school...” Cozy said.

Luster resumed her story. “The Princess then told me the origin story about the map and the castle.”

She pointed a hoof at Tirek. “She mentioned your attack, when they defeated you the first time by unlocking a chest from the Tree of Harmony, all that stuff.”

“That memory is still as fresh as day,” Tirek mumbled.

Luster continued. “When she finished her story, my cutie mark suddenly glowed. A projection of it appeared and floated above the Canterlot Garden, which is where you all were while you were imprisoned. After examining the place, we discovered that everypony who was exterminating the place of pests were gone. The only ones alive besides me, Spike and the Princess were... you. So, Princess Twilight and I decided to take safety precautions. We would send you three with me to a location where you will cause no harm. I chose here, since this field is surrounded by a forest that is even more dangerous than any forest in Equestria. The Princess then cast a few spells that freed you from your stone prison, along with restraining your magic and flight. She also sent me with some food, tents, and other supplies.”

Nopony said anything for about thirty seconds. Chrysalis finally spoke. She still had that growl in her voice.

“Well... I think that answers all our questions but one. Has the cutie map ever been in the... wrong range?”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Has it done anything wrong? Has it been wrong?”

“If it was wrong, or has done SOMETHING wrong, the Princess would tell me. How would it do anything wrong?”

“How long have you valued friendship?” Cozy Glow asked.

“A-a month.”

“Then this may or may not surprise you.” Tirek said. “We despise friendship. But that doesn’t mean we don’t know a thing or two about how it functions. You can’t force it.”

“Tirek is right.” Cozy agreed. “Why would the cutie map send you on a mission to FORCE friendship?!?! That’s not how it works.”

“You have to be WILLING!” Chrysalis said. “We would never be willing to accept friendship. We WILL stay here. But we will also try to show you just how unwilling we are to listen. And then, you will give up. Your pathetic Princess will soon discover that and give up too. She will come here, turn us back to stone, and you will both leave discovering the cutie map tried to make you do something that wasn’t right. Since you betrayed the map’s mission, you will be DISHONORED by the map! It will have considered you and Twilight giving up MUTINY! It may even have a sort of magic that won’t let you in the castle ever again!”

Silence. Luster Dawn sat there, processing all that has just been said to her.

“I... think it’s time to turn in.”

“I think so too.” Chrysalis said. The growl was gone, replaced by a tone of smugness.

Since the tents were behind Luster, she rotated herself on the log, careful to not get any splinters on her rump. She faced the four tents. The colors of the tents, from left to right, were dark pink, black, red, and light pink.

“Take your pick,” Luster said, still staring at the tents.

“Well, since it matches the color of my coat, I choose pink,” Cozy said.

“I’ll do the same. Red,” said Tirek.

“Black.” Chrysalis immediately said.

Luster sighed out of relief. Back at the castle, Princess Twilight had a room that was full of tents of many colors. Although she never knew why that room existed, she was thankful that it was there. She wasn’t in the mood for anymore bickering.

Luster heard the sound of moving, but she didn’t look. But she did see the villains enter her eyesight as they walked to the tents and opened the entrances, before all three of them looked back at Luster, smugly. Finally, they entered the tents and closed the entrances. Luster got up and walked to her own tent, using magic from her horn to lift the zipper and open the tent. She didn’t enter just yet.

Could it be true? she pondered. Is the map sending me here to FORCE these villains to accept friendship? No. It couldn’t be. Everything but what they said about the map is true. There has to be another way...

Then, Luster entered the tent and closed the entrance.

Author's Note:

I had to briefly look at other fanfics to figure out how to portray Chrysalis. I hope it worked well...

One of the biggest themes of this chapter is how people view reforming the trio. You can’t reform everyone and you can’t force friendship. Yes, I wanted the trio to reform. But they make a point in this story: you can’t force friendship.

Once again, feel free to list down any theories on what may happen in the story. And always let the Brony or Pegasister within conquer your creativity.


(I’m only repeating that because it’s my story motto).