• Published 19th Oct 2019
  • 5,350 Views, 212 Comments

The Dawn of a New Mission - ScorchingFlamesInc



For the first time in a long time, the cutie map summons a particular student of Twilight Sparkle to solve a friendship problem. The problem? Teach three familiar characters the power of friendship. It won’t be easy.

  • ...
11
 212
 5,350

Chapter 4: Settling In

After her mentor vanished, Luster Dawn stood still for a minute and pondered what to do for preparation. She didn’t know when the villains would wake up, but if she was gonna teach them friendship, they should know how good-spirited she is. Will it do anything to convince them to consider the power of friendship? Definitely not. But it was a decent way to pass the time.

First: tents. Luster didn’t have a lot of knowledge of setting up tents since she spent most of her time at magic school. She did go camping ONCE after she made friends, but she wasn’t the one to set up the tents.

Still, worth a try.

Luster opened the first tent bag and dumped out the contents. A small, thin booklet was the last thing to fall out. Using her magic from her horn, Luster levitated the booklet to read the title.

TENT SETUP MANUAL

“Well, at least I have instructions...” she mumbled to herself.

It took a few tries, but twenty minutes later, Luster set up a perfect tent. Fortunately, setting up the rest of the tents was quicker and easier. The setup for the last tent only took five minutes. Not bad.

Luster backed away to acknowledge her work. Luckily, all the tents were different colors. That way, nopony will be confused about which tent is theirs and which tent isn’t.

Luster opened the large box of sleeping bags and put one in each tent. She noticed a large black cloak in there as well it had a note.

Give this to Tirek.

-Princess Twilight

Not wondering why Princess Twilight wanted her to give Tirek a cloak, Luster put the cloak in the red tent. She assumed that Tirek would pick the red tent to sleep in.

Next: Where to cook and eat. Luster knew that her location would prohibit searching for food, since nopony would enter the forest. She opened the food box to check if there was any food that needed cooking. There was. There were plenty of frozen hayburger patties, along with a couple apple pies and other goods as well. After opening the third box, she saw a bunch of cups, straws, plates, and silverware. After some more digging, she also saw a grill grate and spatula at the bottom for the hayburgers. Bonus! Luckily for Luster, she could easily use her magic to hold the grate above the fire and also hold the spatula to flip the patties.

Luster put everything back in the box and then searched the field to see if there were any large logs or rocks on the border of the forest to make the cooking area. Luckily, she found enough rocks to make a fire ring and four logs to make the seats that surround the fire.

Now, she just had to put the rocks and logs in their places.

Luster successfully made a fire ring by pulling out a patch of grass to make a circle, before using the rocks to surround that grass-free area. She then placed the logs close, but not far from the fire, so she and the villains could be warm.

Again, she admired her work.

“Sheesh. Maybe I should have got a cutie mark in camp setup. This is amazing.” Luster said to herself.

“Oh, I bet it is! I bet it is indeed!” a voice said. “It’s nice that you set up a campsite. However, I would be surprised if this setup immediately convinced the villains to listen to your friendship lessons.”

Luster recognized the voice. She only met the owner once or twice, but she knew who it was.

“Discord?”

POOF

The master of chaos himself suddenly appeared out of nowhere, wearing camping getup.

“Yes, yes. It is I! Discord! My, I love what you’ve done with the place! It totally SPICES up the field, don’t you think?” said Discord, a floating pepper shaker appearing and sprinkling pepper on the field by itself.

“Why are you here? How did you know I was here?”

“Well, since you ask...” the pepper shaker disappeared and the camp outfit Discord was wearing vanished too. “How I knew you were here, I will never tell. But the reason why I’m here is to tell you this: I have done evil deeds too. I’ve nearly took over Equestria twice. And yet, I was given the chance to reform! It wasn’t easy for Twilight OR dear Fluttershy, but I soon came around. Sure, I joined Tirek at some point, until I came around again!”

“What made you reform? The first time?”

Discord stood silent for a few seconds, before he cleared his throat and began telling his story. A projection of the events appeared as Discord started speaking, changing video clips as his story carried on.

“Well, my precious Fluttershy was in the process of reforming me, but as the fiend I was, I decided to mess with her. Pretend. Manipulate. At some point, she called herself my friend. I was happy to hear that, because I never had any friends. But I still did chaotic things to Sweet Apple Acres, such as turning a flood occurring there into ice. Fluttershy and her friends tried to stop me, but I refused... until I realized I would lose the only friend I had. So, I stopped, and decided to change my ways. That is, until Tirek got me to join them.” the projection immediately vanished when Discord finished his story.

“So... should I become their friend immediately or...”

“Luster, listen... these villains are different than me. THEY are gonna be a bigger challenge. ESPECIALLY Chryssie over there.” Discord, pointed at the unconscious former changeling ruler and continued. “I am not sure if they require the same methods Fluttershy used to reform me. They may say no to your friendship offer, or not feel as overjoyed about making a friend as I did. All I’m saying is, it’s gonna be tough.” Discord’s arm suddenly grew buff before shrinking again.

“So... what do I do?” Luster asked.

“It’s your friendship problem, not mine. Now, I got to go. Fluttershy and I are going to a new tea store that opened in the Crystal Empire! She really wants to go there and try some tea and sandwich samples.”

Discord held up his talon, ready to snap.

“Have fun with your friendship mission,” Discord said, waving goodbye with his lion paw.

POOF

And Discord was gone.

Luster Dawn was silent. Discord had a point. Would they even accept friendship like Discord did? Or would they treat the situation differently?

Luster Dawn sat down to ponder some more about the situation, until a faint sound caught her attention.

She suddenly heard faint moaning from behind her. Luster stood up and turned around, only to see the bodies of the three villains moving.

They were waking up!

Luster Dawn took in a deep breath, and then exhaled.

“Let the friendship mission begin!”

Author's Note:

Well. Discord was there. I tried to be decent with his performance. (Jeez. People always say this stuff when they write about Discord. Authors are rubbing off on me.)

Once again, feel free to list down any theories on what may happen in the story. And always let the Brony or Pegasister within yourself conquer your creativity.