• Published 16th Oct 2019
  • 34,256 Views, 4,533 Comments

Trust Once Lost - Greenhorne



When I agreed to be sent to Equestria I didn't read the fine print. I'm the wrong age, the wrong gender, and lost in the wilderness.

  • ...
134
 4,533
 34,256

PreviousChapters Next
Honesty

I woke up early again. As annoying as it was to have a bedtime, it seemed to leave me feeling more refreshed in the morning. A shocking development, I know. I was still apprehensive about getting out of bed, but this time I had a clear objective; my books. I could reach my book bags from the bed, but to switch on the lights I’d have to get out of bed and walk across the room. I had to tell myself that Applejack wasn’t a light sleeper, and, hopefully, my being an early riser wouldn’t make her think anything was wrong.

This would be so much easier if I had a reading light next to my bed. I was worried that if I asked for one then Applejack would think I was staying up all night reading, and then she might take my books.

Maybe I could ask for one as a nightlight - so I didn’t have to walk across the room in the dark?

No, no, Applejack could tell when I was lying. I wasn’t afraid of the dark.

The hardwood floor was cold on the bottoms of my hooves - why did they have to have a layer of skin on the bottom? My broken foreleg ached a little but it was getting better. I hesitated before pressing the lightswitch.

Please don’t wake anyone up.

Click.

The room was filled with an unmistakably incandescent glow - ponies didn’t have LED lights yet, it seemed. It was nostalgic.

Resisting the urge to run quickly back to the warmth of my bed, I walked slowly to keep noise to a minimum.

Overnight, the connection I’d been distracted from had crystalised. Magical Exhaustion. That was what must have happened to me at school - but if that was the case, why didn’t Applejack take me to the hospital? Was this a unicorn thing that Applejack didn’t know about so she wasn’t taking it seriously? That would be an awkward conversation. And how did I manage to get into a state of Magical Exhaustion without even trying to cast magic?

I checked the index of the magic textbook, but the only reference to magical exhaustion was in the section I’d already read. Nopony had told me much about the condition I had, I guess they didn’t want to scare me - that they felt the need to do that worried me greatly.

Was I going to end up like Bruce Banner? Forced to keep my emotions under control at all times to avoid ‘blowing up’? I... wasn’t very good at that, as much as I’d like to be.

I looked up Magical Exhaustion in the medical dictionary, but there was only a short definition.

Magic Exhaustion:
Magic Exhaustion is a condition where a pony’s mana pool is drained below the level necessary for their body to maintain vital functions. Magical Exhaustion is often confused with Magical Fatigue but the terms are not interchangeable. [Magical Fatigue see page 211]

There were many pages of medical definitions beginning with ‘Magical’, but even so ‘Magical Fatigue’ was on the very next page.

Magical Fatigue:
Magical Fatigue describes the symptoms associated with excessive magic use. Symptoms include headache, nausea, drowsiness and lethargy. Magical Fatigue is often confused with Magical Exhaustion, but the terms are not interchangeable. [Magical Exhaustion see page 209]

Maybe I didn’t have Magical Exhaustion then? I should have asked for a diagnostic and treatment manual. This would be so much easier with the internet. What was the other thing I heard them say? Oh yeah, magic surge.

Magic Surge:
Magic surge describes the involuntary outbursts of unstructured magic observed in unicorn foals. Magic surges are a normal and temporary part of a foal’s development and are very rare in foals beyond 18 months.

Well, that explained why everypony was so surprised, all my classmates probably saw me as even more of a baby now.

Next I pulled out the first aid manual. It was a spiral bound booklet rather than a full book, which made sense; a first aid manual would be something you updated frequently.

It was laid out in a familiar way too. The first page described an acronym which would be expanded upon in subsequent pages. It was a different acronym, but it shouldn’t be too hard to remember.

That reminded me that I still had to review my notes from last night to check my recall.

I hadn’t even thought about it when I packed the books away, but I’d put the sheets of paper inside one of the books. When I flipped the cover open, the pages were still there. So it wasn’t just books that were affected by the bag’s magic, but things placed inside the books too. Although so far I had only tried things made of paper.

Now that the idea was in my head I couldn’t focus on revising my anatomy notes. There was magic to be investigated.

After a few minutes I had a fairly good idea of what would work. A pencil? Yes. A hairbrush? Yes, even though the book wasn’t closed all the way. My pillow? No, presumably because it extended beyond the edges of the book.

I turned back to my notes, and despite my sloppy writing and cryptic notation style I found that I still remembered most of it. I had to refer back to the book for a few things, mostly figures or names of things.

“Mornin’ Sweetpea.”

I jumped slightly and my movement on the mattress was enough to dislodge Graymane’s Anatomy from where it was propped in front of me and, of course, it fell straight on my head.

“I’m okay.” I grumbled from underneath the book.

“Ya weren’t up all night reading were ya?”

“No.”

“It’s all right darlin’ Ah’m not tryin’ ta catch you out. Ah’m just glad to know there’s something that makes ya happy.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Fer what?”

“For making you worry about me.”

“Don’t say that darlin’, it’s mah job ta worry about you. Ain’t no sense in two ponies tryin’ ta do a one pony job.”

I pouted.

“That doesn’t even make sense. I’m not worried about me, I’m worried about you worrying about me.”

“Don’t go usin’ yer fancy book learnin’ ta muddy tha’ issue. Ah’ll do the worrying and y’all’ll do the... whatever it is that fillies are supposed ta do.”

“Have you forgotten how to be a filly?” I asked playfully.

“Ah’m not that old!” Said Applejack. “Ah just... Ah had a lot of responsibilities when Ah was yer age.”

Her tone in the last part of the sentence put a lump in my throat. Her parents. Of course she wouldn’t have had a normal childhood. Damnit. Why did I have to say that?

“Do you want to talk about it?” I asked gently.

“What?”

“It must have been difficult,” I explained, “Having so much responsibility forced on you at a young age.”

“It weren’t that bad,” said Applejack, “Us Apple’s stick together. After mah folk’s passed it was hard fer a while, but we managed.”

“Do you regret not being able to do all the things other fillies your age were doing?”

“It weren’t as bleak as all that,” Said Applejack, “Working on the farm is what Ah was meant ta do after all.”

She looked back fondly to the mark of three apples on her flank.

“Oh, ok.” I said, cutiemark magic was something I wasn’t really equipt to discuss.

Applejack saw the serious look on my face.

“Green, do you want ta talk?” Asked Applejack. “About... before ya came here.”

“I-” It hurt to swallow, “No.”

I’m tricking everyone. I don’t deserve this.

“I’m sorry.” I said.

“Fer what?”

“For-” I hesitated, “For not being honest.”

Applejack tilted her head.

“‘Bout what?”

“I don’t know.”

Applejack remained silent and waited for me to continue. I broke eye contact and just tried to keep talking.

“I told everypony I don’t remember what happened, but I do. Or at least I think I do.”

I tried not to focus on what I was saying, what I was risking by telling her this. I felt cold and numb, and like I needed to go to the bathroom.

“I’m afraid that if I tell ponies they’ll think that I’m crazy. And I’m even more afraid that I might actually be crazy.”

Applejack took a step towards me.

“Ah reckon if ya really were crazy ya wouldn’t be worried about it.”

“That's not how that works.”

“Ya seem pretty sure about that.”

I flinched.

“Darlin’ it’s not goin’ ta get any better if ya don’t tell anypony.”

“Before I came here, in my past life, I don’t know exactly how it works,” I said, “Before all that, I was a nurse.”

Shut up, shut up, shut up! You’re going to ruin everything! You can’t take this back.

“At yer age?”

“I was older, well I guess not chronologically older, but I was considered an adult in that society.”

“At the hospital, you said yer parents weren’t ponies. Yer really sure about this aren’t ya.”

There it was; the doubt. She didn't believe me, and I already knew Applejack couldn’t keep a secret. Now everypony would know I was nuts.

I’d gone too far to pull back now. I took a breath.

“What if none of this is real?” I questioned. “If I pull on this thread, everything could unravel. I’ve lost everything, can’t I just pretend this is real?”

“Pretend what’s real?”

“You, Applebloom, Equestria, magic. I want to pretend that I deserve everything you’ve done for me. I want to keep pretending that I really am that lost little filly you found in the Everfree, but... It hurts.”

“Yer not a filly?”

“I am a filly now.” I said. “I can’t deny that but - ugh. I don’t know.”

“So ya weren’t lost?”

“I mean, yeah, I was lost.”

“Yer a lost little filly that needed help. Ya do deserve help, Green, and no secret ya were hidin’ could change that. Don’t ya feel better now that ya’ve let it out?”

“No, I don’t.” I said. “I’ve been lying to everypony to get them to help me. I let everypony think something really terrible had happened to me, but it hasn’t.”

“So how did ya end up lost in the Everfree with a broken leg?”

“I don’t know.”

I expected her to pounce on the logical inconsistency but, of course, she could tell that I was telling the truth.

“Ta me that sounds like something real terrible.”

“You all think someone was trying to rape me.”

My eyes were screwed shut as I cringed at what I’d just said. I didn’t hear what Applejack said next. I heard the noises, but my brain wasn’t processing them into words. I felt her climb up onto the bed next to me and start to brush my mane with her hoof.

“Stop!”

Applejack’s hoof recoiled.

“You’re supposed to hate me! I lied about everything, I’m not a r- a victim, I’m not a real filly,” I sobbed, “I don’t even like apples!”

“Wha’da’ya mean ya don’ like apples?”

I facehoofed. Of course Applejack would pick out that one.

“Green!”

“I’m sorry.”

“Fer what?”

“For...” I hesitated a moment, “For hitting myself?”

“Yer apologisin’ ta me,” Applejack said slowly, “Fer hurtin’ yerself.”

“I don’t want you to worry about me. I don’t want you to feel like you have to care about me. It doesn’t end well.”

“Well then Ah guess you’ll just have ta stop being so adorable.”

That was so off script it threw me for a loop. She was not supposed to say that.

“I’m being serious.”

“A mite too serious ah reckon.” She tousled my mane. “Y’all need ta relax ‘fore you give yerself an ulcer.”

She definitely wasn’t supposed to tell me to relax. You do not tell someone who’s panicking to just relax!

As ill advised as that theoretically was, taking a step back to mentally critique Applejack’s bedside manner gave me enough emotional distance to get my emotions back under control.

“So, uh, what’s for breakfast?”

Applejack sighed.

“Why don’t ya like apples?”

“I dunno, I just don’t.” I said. “Never have.”

Author's Note:

New Art by Crimson Wolf in chapter 2

If you want to see more art in this story you can donate to my Ko-Fi. All funds raised will be used to pay for art commissions.

Let me know in the comments if you have a particular scene you want to be illustrated, or an artist that you recommend. If you ARE an artist and you're reading this, even better! Comment below or DM me a link to your commissions sheet.

PreviousChapters Next