• Published 27th Mar 2020
  • 5,409 Views, 166 Comments

Eric Sparkle and the Locket of Prophecies - Skywalker215



A little boy named Eric ends up in Equestria after making a magical wish for a better life and a family.

  • ...
6
 166
 5,409

Chapter 14: The Talent Show/The Grand Galloping Gala

Three months went by and it was May, the spring season was in full swing. Applejack and Smokey were now dating, same with Rarity and Jasper. Eric was feeling excited yet unsure, since today was Twilight’s birthday. As he was helping Pinkie and the others decorate the interior of the castle, Eric kept thinking about what gift he should get for his mom, until an idea came to him.

While Eric and the others were getting ready for the party, Storm treated Twilight to a birthday lunch date at the cafe. They were sharing spaghetti with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese. While they were eating, they unknowingly grabbed hold of one in unison. Twilight and Storm gently bumped their faces while slurping as if they were kissing each other on the lips, their eyes widened in response. They slowly chewed their noodles and gently pulled back with slight embarrassment, blushing heavily.

“That felt.... kind of nice,” Twilight giggled.

“You’re telling me,” Storm agreed.

An hour later, Twilight and Storm were finished eating and they went for a stroll back to the castle.

“Thanks for treating me to lunch, Storm,” Twilight said.

“Anything for you, Twily,” Storm replied.

At the castle, Eric and the others finished decorating and Spike noticed Twilight and Storm coming their way.

“Here they come, everypony, places,” Spike said.

Everyone went and hid as Twilight and Storm entered.

“SURPRISE!!!” Pinkie and the others shouted as party favors and confetti cannons were going off. There was also a banner unfurled saying, “Happy Birthday Twilight” on it.

“Happy birthday, Twily,” Storm said.

‘Thanks, Storm,” Twilight replied.

Everypony that was present wished Twilight a happy birthday, and she opened up all her gifts but one. The last one was from Eric.

“Happy birthday, mommy,” Eric said as he gave her his gift.

Twilight opened her last gift revealing a flower vase and a card, both saying ‘World’s Best Mommy’ on it. She gave Eric a big hug and nuzzled him, then said, “This is the nicest thing you’ve ever done for me, thank you, sweetie.”

Soon enough after socializing and eating cake, the party was over. Eric and Twilight did some nighttime reading before going to sleep.

Two days later, Eric and his class were making final preparations for the school talent show. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, along with Pip and Rumble noticed Eric feeling a little down and unsure.

“Ya okay, Eric?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Is something wrong?” Scootaloo added.

“I’m okay, I’m just a little unsure about the show is all,” Eric replied.

“What are you planning to do for the talent show?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Is there anything you’re good at?” Rumble added.

“I’m good at magic, but I don’t think I can do it on stage, besides, I’ve never been in a talent show before,” Eric replied.

“No need to be nervous, you should give it a try,” Sweetie Belle said as she kissed Eric’s cheek.

“Maybe there’s something else you can do.” Pip added.

“Well, I am good at singing, as far as I was told, I guess I’ll give it a try,” Eric replied whilst blushing.

“That’s the spirit, buddy,” Rumble said.

Once evening came and all the preparations were finished, the talent show was about to begin, and Eric had his song ready.

While Eric and the other CMCs were waiting for their cues, Snips and Snails were performing their magic act, soon followed by Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon with their dramatic act, then Pipsqueak, Rumble, and Featherweight with their comedy act. Soon it was time for the Cutie Mark Crusaders to perform their musical act, Sweetie Belle was ready on the piano, Apple Bloom had her fiddle at the ready, Scootaloo was on tuba, and Eric was ready to sing.

(All credit for this song go to Disney/Pixar and Randy Newman)

Once Eric and the three fillies finished the musical act, everypony present in the audience gave their applause. Then it was time for the awards. Cheerilee came on stage and went to announce the winners, “The first award goes to Snips and Snails for the best magic act. The second award goes to Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon for best dramatic act. The next award goes to Pip, Rumble, and Featherweight for best comedy act, and finally our last award goes to the Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Eric Sparkle for best musical act.”

The audience cheered with a final round of applause.

“Good goin’ Eric! You too, Apple Bloom,” said Applejack.

“That was awesome, little buddies!” Rainbow Dash said to Eric and Scootaloo.

“Lovely piano playing, Sweetie Belle, beautiful singing, Eric,” Rarity said.

“I’m proud of you, sweetie,” Twilight said to Eric as she hugged him.

“Way to go, sport,” Storm added.

Eric also received much praise from his friends from Canterlot and Whitetail Woods, who also came for the show.

A week later, it was May 21st. Spike had a sensation, he then burped up a message from Princess Celestia. There were two tickets for the Grand Galloping Gala.

“Twilight, you have a message from Princess Celestia!” Spike called out.

Twilight took the scroll, it read:

Dear Twilight and Storm,

I am requesting your presence in Canterlot in three hours in order to help make preparations and help in planning the Grand Galloping Gala, I also cordially extend invitation to Eric Sparkle, plus one guest.

Yours truly, Princess Celestia

Eric was reading a Daring Do book in his room when Twilight came in.

“Eric, Princess Celestia has requested mine and Storm’s presence in Canterlot and has invited you and your friends to the Grand Galloping Gala,” Twilight said.

“What exactly is the Grand Galloping Gala?” Eric asked.

“It happens on this day every year to celebrate the completion of Canterlot, where ponies or other creatures in your case go to socialize and dance,” Twilight explained.

“But, mommy, I’ve never been to party that big and important before. What if I mess up? Besides, I don’t know how to dance.” Eric replied.

“Oh, come on, sweetie, a dance would be nice. Besides, we can practice after I bathe you, brush your hair, and have Rarity make you a suit,” said Twilight.

“Do I really have to bathe? I’ve never had anyone but Ted or Lacey brush my hair,” Eric asked.

“Yes, sweetie, you have to. I want you to look your best for the Gala.” Twilight said.

Twilight and Eric went into the bathroom, she closed her eyes as he undressed and got in the tub. Twilight turned the water on and began washing him from hair to foot, freshly scrubbing. Once Eric was finished bathing, Twilight dried him off and he redressed.

“Hold still, sweetie,” Twilight said as she began brushing Eric’s hair. Once his hair was all brushed, Twilight and Eric went to the Carousel Boutique. Once there, Rarity took his measurements.

“I’ll have your suit ready before you and Twilight leave for the Gala.” Rarity said.

Eric then bumped into Jasper and Smokey, who also got their own tickets to the Gala. They were also looking to have suits made for them. Soon, Holly came into the boutique.

“Hi, Holly,” Eric said.

“Hi, Eric,” Holly replied.

“I’ve got our tickets for the Grand Galloping Gala,” said Eric.

“The Grand Galloping Gala? What’s that?” Holly asked.

“You’ll find out when we get there,” Eric replied.

The two went up to Rarity’s workroom.

“Hey, Rarity, would you care to make a dress for Holly?” Eric asked.

“Of course I can, darling,” Rarity replied sweetly as she began taking Holly’s measurements.

Soon, Eric’s suit and Holly’s dress were finished. Eric’s suit was red with blue buttons, a white sash on the waistline and a blue undershirt and cravat. Holly’s dress was green with flower designs.

Hours later, Twilight, Storm, Eric, and Holly were in Canterlot as the gala was about to start. Storm was wearing a dark blue uniform with lighter blue stripes on the sleeves, a red cravat and red epaulettes.

“I must say, it’s been very nice having both of you take over some of the planning responsibilities for this year’s Gala,” Celestia said.

“Anything we can do to make it easier on you,” Twilight replied.

“You can count on us,” Storm added.

“Thank you, Twilight. I am quite looking forward to just enjoying the Gala for once,” Celestia said before the fanfare played.

“Announcing the spirit of chaos, Discord, and his guest, the, uh...” the announcer said as Discord whispered in his ear, ”The Smooze!”

The green blob came up and everypony gasped.

“Good evening, everypony! What a glorious affair!” said Discord.

The Smooze then slurped up a trumpet.

“He does have a yen for shiny things, the rascal,” Discord said.

Seeing his hand was gooey, he wiped it on the announcer’s suit.

“Gross!” Holly exclaimed.

“Discord, did that thing come out of your nose?” Eric asked while grossed out.

“Eric, be polite,” Twilight said in a firm tone.

“Yes, mommy,” Eric replied.

“We’ll take care of this,” said Twilight.

Twilight and Storm went over to Discord and went to have a word with him.

“What are you doing here with... that?!” Twilight said in a hushed tone.

“Now, now, now. The Smooze may be an “it”, but it’s an it with a heart of, well, blob.” Discord replied.

“This night is extremely important to us, Discord. Keep it under control!” Twilight said through gritted teeth.

“This is also supposed to be a date for Twilight and I, so you better not mess this up for us,” Storm added.

“Yes, yes, yes, of course. Tell me, have you seen Fluttershy anywhere?” Discord asked.

“I think she’s over there with her new friend,” Storm replied pointing to her and the mare called Tree Hugger.

“We’re here! We’re here! We made it to the Gala!” The CMCs said in unison.

Eric noticed Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle in their dresses.

“You look pretty, Sweetie Belle,” Eric said.

“Thank you, Eric, you look great also,” Sweetie Belle replied sweetly.

Rarity and Applejack came in, with Jasper and Smokey by their sides. Japser was wearing an elegant royal blue dress robe with a white bowtie, whereas Smokey was wearing a dark brown formal southern style jacket with a black stetson hat.

Eric and Holly, along with Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo met up with Nightshade, Zuni, Marina, and Slapstick. Nightshade was wearing a light gray suit with a blue bow tie. Zuni was wearing a traditional multicolored Jamarecan dress, with a beaded necklace. Marina was wearing a blue ocean patterned dress with a pearl necklace. Slapstick was wearing a dark red suit and dress pants with a silver bow tie.

“That’s a nice dress, Apple Bloom,” Nightshade said, “You look beautiful in it.”

“Thank ya, Nightshade,” Apple Bloom replied sweetly.

“It seems my little sister’s got a special somepony,” Applejack said to Rarity.

Meanwhile, Hydia, Reeka, and Draggle, along with Hot Shot, Thundercracker, and Skywarp teleported into the castle gardens. They managed to put a cloaking spell on themselves and trotted into the castle. Once inside, they deactivated the cloaking spell and began their search for the Crystal Mirror.

Eric and his friends barely noticed the gorgons and teenage colts and went to find out what they were up to.

“Mommy, Storm, I think there’s something suspicious going on here, my friends and I are gonna check it out,” Eric said.

“Eric, sweetie, I see nothing to worry about, everything’s fine,” Twilight replied.

“Trust me, I know something’s up, I just know it,” said Eric.

“Twily, we should let Eric trust his instincts, it’s helpful for me as a knight of Equestria, and for you as well,” Storm said to Twilight.

“Just be careful, sweetie, and stay where we can see you,” Twilight said to Eric.

“We will,” Eric replied.

Eric and his friends followed Glacio’s minions until they got to the hallway outside the quarters. Hydia, Reeka, Draggle, Hot Shot, Thundercracker, and Skywarp met up with a white unicorn stallion with a blonde mane, and a compass rose cutie mark.

“You six better have a good reason for coming to the castle uninvited and during the gala without any tickets or formal attire,” the royal pony said.

“Forgive our intrusion, Blueblood, the master sent us to go looking for the Crystal Mirror,” Hot Shot replied.

“Glacio also sent us to check on your progress,” Skywarp added.

“Where in the castle is the mirror?” Thundercracker asked.

“My cover-ups of your operations are going smoothly, and last I heard, the mirror was in the Crystal Empire, try looking there,” Blueblood replied.

Eric and his friends stayed out of sight and went back to the gala before anyone noticed they were gone. They noticed everypony was near the stage as Discord was about to attempt stand-up comedy.

“Check, check, check. Is this thing on? Good evening, fillies and germs! I just flew into Canterlot, and wow, are my inter-species parts tired!” Discord said on the mic.

Everypony was silent, except for Eric and his friends who ended up laughing.

“I’ve only got these tiny mismatched wings, and even I can fly better than Twilight Sparkle! Am I right? Pchoo!” Discord said.

“Hey!” Twilight retorted, Storm grumbled at this, while Celestia giggled.

“Uh, well, perhaps you’re into more observational humor. Did you ever notice how you always materialize out of thin air? Why not thick air? What’s the deal there?” Discord asked.

Once again, the only ones laughing were Eric and his friends.

“Tough crowd, at least somepony is amused,” Discord remarked.

“What is he doing?!” Twilight asked.

“I think they’re... jokes?” Rainbow Dash replied.

“None of us get them, except for Eric and his friends,” Storm said.

“Maud! Jokes!” Pinkie said.

“My favorite,” Maud replied.

“You might be a Ponyville pony when an ordinary night on the town ends in a lesson about friendship! Knock knock! You’re supposed to say “Who’s there?”! This is the most basic of jokes!” Discord said.

He then took a mallet and smashed the melon, causing it to splatter. Again, Eric and his friends were the only ones laughing.

You’re the most basic of jokes,” Maud said. Everypony laughed at Maud’s remark.

“Good one, Maud!” Pinkie replied.

Eric saw a bright glow and noticed the Smooze creeping out the door. He trembled and held on to Twilight’s back leg.

“What is that?!” Twilight said.

“M-m-mommy, m-my f-friends and I are gonna.....go to the garden,” Eric said while shaking.

Eric and his friends, including Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, managed to escape the Smooze into the garden. Eric and Nightshade each picked a rose. Eric got one for Sweetie Belle, Nightshade got one for Apple Bloom, and Slapstick got one for Scootaloo.

“Thank you, Eric, you’re really sweet,” Sweetie Belle said before she and Eric shared a kiss.

“Thank ya, Nightshade,” Apple Bloom said to Nightshade before they kissed.

Scootaloo and Slapstick also shared a kiss.

Soon the Smooze/Discord’s jealously incident was handled, Eric and his friends went back inside.

“Sweetie Belle, you want to dance?” Eric asked.

“Sure, Eric,” Sweetie Belle replied.

Eric and Sweetie Belle started dancing together.

“Shall we, Twily?” Storm said.

“Of course, Storm,” Twilight replied.

Twilight and Storm began dancing, Rarity danced with Jasper, Applejack danced with Smokey, and Slapstick danced with Scootaloo.

Apple Bloom and Nightshade were mingling with Zuni, Marina, Slapstick, and Holly.

“I wish Pip was here,” Zuni said.

“You’re telling me, Zuni. I wish Rumble was here so he and I could dance.” Marina replied.

They decided to go hang out with Rainbow Dash, Pinkie and Maud Pie. Everypony kept enjoying themselves until near the end of the gala.

Author's Note:

The latter portion of this chapter takes place during the 'Make New Friends But Keep Discord' episode.

Just two chapters left.

The images of Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie are special courtesy of Magister39

The picture of Apple Bloom is courtesy of illuminous

The image of Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo is courtesy of CloudyGlow