• Published 16th Nov 2019
  • 2,182 Views, 34 Comments

The Archmage's Last Bow - Rytex



One would think that after the victory over Cozy Glow, Tirek, and Chrysalis, that everything would be at peace. Unfortunately for Twilight Sparkle and Nova Shine, Equestria's new Archmage, the world itself could now be in jeopardy.

  • ...
2
 34
 2,182

Ascendancy

The Archmage’s Last Bow
Chapter 01 - Ascendancy


I CAN’T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

In days long gone, the citizens of Ponyville would be easily startled by noises as loud as this one. Unfortunately, in the many years since Twilight Sparkle had moved to Ponyville, everyone was now almost too used to it. Even the Flower Sisters barely glanced over at the giant crystal castle on the outskirts of town before returning to their daily chores, without so much as a yelp or even a gasp.

A magical blast exploded from the castle, shooting up into the sky in a magnificent magenta ray as it shot out of a window, and vanished into the morning sky. Not long after, tongues of fire flew out after it.

This one did cause some unease around the town. Princess Twilight normally wasn’t so enraged as to throw fire or magic around unless it was something particularly heinous. Everyone remembered the day Tirek had destroyed her library, nearly killing Owliscious and destroying every last one of her books. That day, Twilight Sparkle had snapped.

So what had caused today’s outbursts?

At the opposite edge of town, a unicorn was trotting in on sore hooves, shining in the sun as the sweat in his coat glinted in the light. He was a white unicorn stallion, with a messy blue mane and tail, both of which were also a bit matted with sweat and were extra-disorganized after a morning of exercise, and he had a cutie mark consisting of a blue crescent moon surrounded by four blue stars. A glowing magenta earring stud, the same color as the magic that had streaked up into the sky moments ago, was attached to the base of his right ear, and he stared up at the crystal castle with bright blue eyes and no small amount of concern.

“It sounds as though your honey’s not having the best morning,” remarked a gruff Neigh Zealand voice from behind him. The white pony turned around to see a lean red pegasus with a dark brown mane and tail trotting up.

“That’s putting it mildly,” the white pony muttered, frowning. “You’d think with all the threats she deals with on an annual basis, she’d be better used to keeping control of things.”

“I wouldn’t know,” the Neigh Zealander shrugged. “One adventure with a murderous shadow mare was enough for me. I’ve rather enjoyed these last few years of peace and quiet.”

“He said, conveniently leaving out all of the bounty hunting contracts he’s taken up,” the white pony snarked, resuming his trot toward the town.

“Ah, shut up Nova,” the Neigh Zealander elbowed him.

“Never,” Nova Shine grinned.

The pair of them trotted into the town, with the occasional wave or chatter with the odd townspony. While Nova usually enjoyed getting the chance to talk with several of these ponies, it was a particularly stressful morning for someone important to him and he needed to return home as quickly as he could.

“How many more mornings like this do I have to go through, Sharp Eye?” he asked, as the passed town hall.

“Until your teacher says you don’t need them anymore, which knowing her--”

“--will be never,” Nova finished with a slight roll of his eyes. “Thank goodness the ceremony’s tomorrow. If I had known training to become the Archmage was going to be this strenuous and I’d be doing it for much longer, I wouldn’t have accepted Luna’s offer.”

“Oh yes you would have,” It was now Sharp Eye’s turn to roll his eyes. “Quit being so melodramatic. A little exercise never hurt anyone. ‘Sides, a healthy body promotes a healthy mind, which is something an aspiring apex of spellcasting should always want, eh?”

It didn’t take them longer to cross to the other side of town, with the great castle looming ever larger, and the School of Friendship sitting not far away to its northeast. Nova couldn’t help the small smile at the sight of it. Twilight really had found her element, hadn’t she? Teaching children from all over the world about the magic of friendship had always seemed like an obvious calling for her in retrospect, just as training to become the Archmage over the last four years had seemed an obvious path forward for him.

And here they now sat. She was weeks away from ascending the throne and taking over from Celestia and Luna, and Nova's own big day was tomorrow.

The great doors to the Castle of Friendship swung inward, revealing that both Starlight Glimmer and Spike had been pacing impatiently in the entrance hall.

“Oh thank goodness!” Starlight exclaimed, rushing over and practically dragging Nova away. “You have to help. She’s in one of her moods, and neither of us can get her out of it.”

Nova sighed patiently as Starlight and Spike dragged him toward the library.

“Have a good day, Nova!” Sharp Eye called with a wave. “See you at the pub tonight!”

“Looking forward to it!” Nova waved back, not even bothering to fight Twilight’s ward and Spike as they steered him out of the entry hall.

“Hope your morning’s gone better than ours has,” Spike grumbled “The tree keeps having to patch holes in its ceiling. I don’t think it’s very happy about it, and it keeps taking it out on me.”

“The tree is taking out its frustration?” Nova asked, giving Spike an odd look. “And it’s taking it out on you?”

Spike just reached over and took a small bite out of a nearby wall. Within seconds, a white flash of light had filled in the hole, and followed it up by growing a twisted crystal tentacle to whack Spike on the head, before retreating back into the wall.

“...today I learned my house is alive, after living in it for three years,” Nova said to no one in particular. Spike just gave him a look that was half “I told you so” and half pained wince as he rubbed the spot where the tree had retaliated. “Wait, why you in particular, though?”

“The tree’s been grumpy with him ever since Ember showed up and took a bite out of its trunk that one time,” Starlight answered, finally bringing him to a stop outside a set of double-doors that Nova was all-too-familiar with. “Seems to think he should get the short stick because his race happens to like eating crystalline mass.”

“It’s not even that good!” Spike tossed his claws into the air in frustration. “Gems taste good! Tree crystal tastes like cardboard!”

The tree, it seemed, did not like what he had to say, as another crystal tentacle whacked him upside the head for his comment.

“Yes, you’re really helping things!” Spike yelled at the spot on the wall that had antagonized him.

“What about Twilight, though?” Nova stood up straight, preparing to go in and see what the fuss was about. “What set her off today?”

Twilight let out a frustrated yell on the other side of the door just to punctuate his question. Starlight and Spike just glanced at each other nervously, and gulped.

“What are you two not telling me?” Nova glanced between the two of them, his eyes narrowing.

“Well, good luck!” said Spike, as he and Starlight hastily tossed him through the double-doors leading to the library and slammed them shut behind them.

“Hey!” Nova shouted, dashing back and trying to push his way out. “Ugh, it would sure be nice to have an apprentice of my own who would tell me these things!” he snapped, raising his voice so that it could clearly be heard through the door, which he tried to push back open. Unfortunately, it turned out the doors were locked behind him. While it would have been trivially easy to just teleport onto the other side, the sudden spike in energy around him, as well as the sound of something catching fire, caught his attention instead.

Indeed, Twilight Sparkle was not having a good morning.

Her mane was frazzled, with multiple visible split ends, her eyes were wide, she was glaring down at the large stack of papers that appeared to be haphazardly scattered around the desk she was sitting at, and her horn was smoking.

Yet the sight that drew his eyes, was a glowing blue light affixed to her ear, the twin to his own earring that marked their engagement. In the midst of the chaos of her appearance, it still looked pristine.

Oh, and now that large stack of papers was on fire while Twilight cackled madly. With a quiet sigh, Nova willed the winds within him forward, surrounding the pile of burning paperwork in a sphere of swirling air, and in short order, the burning pile of paper was extinguished as his winds deprived the fire of its fuel.

“All hail the Mad Queen?” he asked, stepping forward. His horn glimmered blue and the stack of papers were all squished together and then properly disintegrated, freeing up Twilight’s desk for more of whatever work she was there to do.

The insane laughter died immediately, replaced by an intense relief as he approached. “Oh thank goodness you’re here,” she practically galloped over to him and launched herself into his arms. “It’s been unbearable!

“I was only gone for a couple of hours,” Nova pointed out, thoroughly bemused. “Surely nothing you’ve had to deal with has been quite that bad.” He paused for a moment, remembering that this was the first time in a very long time that she’d had a freakout this bad. “...was it that bad?”

“Nova, love, do you know what kind of mail I’ve been reading?” She stepped back and reached into another pile of open letters that Nova hadn’t gotten, before pulling out a light aqua roll of parchment. An overpowering scent of cologne suddenly washed over him and he started sputtering.

“What--” he coughed, “--what is that?”

This, dear fiancee of mine,” she sounded completely and utterly resigned as she held it in her magic about an arm’s length away from her, “is a letter from a would-be suitor.”

“A--” Nova coughed again, “a suitor? Our engagement’s been public knowledge for--”

“--for three years now, yes,” Twilight incinerated that letter and mercifully cleared the air of the awful smell, before trotting back around to her spot and sitting back down. “Problem is, when you’re publicly engaged for three years and no wedding happens, ponies start to pretend it’s not actually a thing.”

“Have they forgotten we’ve tried, though?” Nova asked, feeling no small amount of indignation well up in him. “The first one had to be called off because of Tirek, then we had to postpone again when you all were foalnapped by Chrysalis,” he felt a familiar pang inside of him as he remembered how far the queen had fallen, and of the statue currently adorning the Canterlot Gardens, “we had to call it off again after that whole Storm King deal… how long is it going to be delayed now that we have an Ascendancy and Coronation coming up only a few short weeks apart?”

“Nova, honey,” Twilight sighed patiently, neatly sorting through the large pile of papers, separating them into letters from potential suitors and actual documents she needed to see, “you are preaching to the choir. The only way to get them to stop sending most of these letters is to just get married already.”

“I know, and we’re trying!” Nova let himself fall sideways, laying on the hard yet cool floor, which felt sublime against his sweaty barrel. “Still don’t understand why we can’t do a quiet, private ceremony.”

“We’ve been over this,” Twilight incinerated the pile of suitor letters, and set about her work on the documents that actually demanded her attention, letting out a relieved sigh as actual bureaucracy crossed her desk. “It’s an old Unicorn Kingdom law. Ponies in public positions, such as princess or archmage-in-training,” she glanced over at him meaningfully, “are required to host a wedding to which the state must bear public witness to. All private or other such weddings are considered null and void in the eyes of the law. This was done to prevent ambitious ponies from foalnapping someone, forcing a wedding, and then it legally holding up.”

“I can think of about a hundred different ways someone can abuse that system, one of which happened about six years ago at your brother’s wedding,” Nova pointed out.

“I don’t think the unicorns had to worry about changelings back in Dream Valley,” Twilight stamped her hoof on a letter, before sliding it into a folder of some kind. “But anyway, the point is, as I’ve told you before,” she gave him an annoyed look, “we both are legally-required to have a public wedding before we are considered husband and wife in the eyes of Equestrian law.”

“That’s such a stupid law,” Nova complained.

“I don’t disagree, but what can I do about it right now?” Twilight asked, before stamping something else and filing it away. “Our teachers are the ones with the real political power. All we have to do is wait out a few short weeks, and then I can repeal that dumb old law, and we can have ourselves that nice, quiet ceremony you want so much.”

“What if we had a private ceremony in front of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna before that, just to be married as far as anyone who matters is concerned, but then had a ceremony later before or after you repealed that law?”

Twilight smiled ruefully. “I asked Princess Celestia that after the foalnapping incident. I’m afraid we’re just gonna have to wait it out. Unfortunately, a wedding between the Archmage of Equestria, who also happens to be the heir to one of the most influential families in all of Equestria, and the soon-to-be Ruler of Equestria isn’t exactly a low-key event.”

“Ugh,” Nova grumbled.

“So, when do you want to leave?” she asked. Stamp, file, repeat. “After all,” she looked up and gave him a very proud smile, “tomorrow is the big day, and we’ll need to be there tonight.”

“I dunno,” Nova sighed. “Aegis is supposed to pick us up this evening, but he was mum on exactly when.”

“Sounds like you’ve got some time on your hooves,” Twilight returned her attention to her work. “You going to enjoy that lack of responsibility for your last day as the Archmage-in-training?”

“You know it,” Nova grinned, before gesturing toward the Everfree Forest. “Was gonna go visit some old friends, hang out with Trixie, maybe mess with my fiancee while she packs everything for our three-day trip to Canterlot...”

Twilight just smiled and lightly shook her head. “Four years later, and you’re still the same silly pony who asked me to marry him.”

“Eeeeh,” Nova bobbed his head from side to side, “I mean… mostly?”

“Well, in all the important ways,” Twilight clarified. Stamp, file, repeat. She glanced up at him momentarily, before returning to her work. “Just remember, you’re gonna be expected to take this job seriously.”

“Hey, you know me,” Nova shrugged, before turning away to glance out of the library window at the beautiful morning. “I’m good at taking things seriously when they matter.”

The town had really grown on him over the last several years, and now it was looking like he was going to be moving back to Canterlot at long last, fourteen years since he had last lived there.

Well, sixteen, if one includes the two years he spent in the past.

However, Nova was fortunate that he turned away. Twilight had looked up to meet his eyes, mouth open to say something, but apparently thought better of it and went back to her work.

“So, we staying at my parents’ place, or yours?” he asked, glancing back at her.

“Neither,” Twilight replied. Stamp, file, repeat. “Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have bedrooms reserved for us at the home they’re staying in while the castle is being rebuilt.”

“Wait, bedrooms? Plural?”

“Mm-hmm,” she reached back and touched the earring adorning her right earlobe. “Even though we’re engaged, we still have courtesies to observe, especially since we’re guests of the Princesses, and not either of our parents.”

“Aww,” Nova sighed, rolling his eyes. “Oh well. Just one night.”

“Two,” corrected Twilight, still focused on her work.

“Anyway, I need to get moving,” he stretched, fighting off a yawn. “Gotta get cleaned up and want to get a trip into the forest and back in before it’s time to go. You gonna be alright now?”

“Yes, I think so. Finally cleared out all of the unnecessary suitor letters. Get started packing before you leave,” Twilight advised as he started to walk out. “I left a list for you on the bed. Not too many things, but it never hurts to be prepared.”

“Knowing your lists, I’ll be sure to ignore half of the suggestions because I don’t think surprise bugbear attacks will be happening in the midst of the ceremony,” Nova said, stepping out, but not before giving his fiance a fond smile. “I’ll let you get back to your work, love.”

Few things in the world gave Nova Shine quite as much pleasure as the way Twilight always smiled when he called her that. It was a tender smile, Something that always brightened her day and always made helped her through a difficult situation. Just the sight of a smile like that always gave Nova an equally-tender grin of his own.

“Go on, then,” she waved him away. “I’ve got a lot of work to do for my big day here in a few months, too.”

“I’ll be looking forward to being right there in the front row,” Nova affirmed, before he stepped out, shutting the door behind him.


The Everfree Forest was actually quite lovely in broad daylight, when the beasties inside weren’t trying to murder you, or evil shadowmares were trying to stick a knife into your back. Nova had started frequently making trips to and from certain parts of the forest not long after his relocation to Ponyville. No one knew why, except for Twilight. But Twilight remained tight-lipped about it.

And so to Beatrix Lulamoon, it was quite a surprise when she was invited along for the day.

Trixie just stared at Nova after he’d asked her, standing in the doorway of her wagon and completely oblivious to everything else around her following the question.

“You want Trixie to join you on a trip through the Everfree Forest?” she asked, making sure what he’d just asked her was not some sick practical joke. If it was, she would not hesitate to slam her wagon door in his face.

“That’s what I’m asking, yeah,” Nova nodded, the magenta glow of his engagement earring clashing quite brilliantly with his blue hair. “Come on, it’ll be fun.”

“‘Fun’,” Trixie said, her voice icy, “does not exactly describe Trixie’s experiences in that forest.”

“What, you afraid of the big bad Ursa Minor?”

“You do recall,” she snarled, dropping the stage act, “that I was held hostage by that Envy mare in the forest for the better part of three months, don’t you?”

That disrupted Nova’s mood, and he frowned.

“I… yeah, I do, but… I mean...” he trailed off lamely.

“You forgot, didn’t you.”

“No!” Nova protested, giving her an annoyed look. “Can’t really forget something like that. It’s just…” he sighed, “I need a unicorn to talk to who’s going to be staying here in Ponyville when Twi and I move back up to Canterlot. Starlight wouldn’t understand, Sunburst wouldn’t even want to step into the forest even if he knew what was in there, and I’m not sure Rarity is staying in Ponyville for long either, given she seems to be packing things. Don’t mistake that for meaning you were my last choice, but… well...”

Trixie’s frown deepened.

“I know it’s not exactly your favorite location in the world,” Nova continued, “but… I’ve also got something I want to show you.”

One of Trixie’s eyebrows arched at that. This was rather unlike Nova. Whenever Nova wanted to show anyone anything, he always made a performance of it. Something dramatic, with flair that even the greatest showmare in all of Equestria could be a mite jealous of.

And now, all of a sudden, he was acting coy?

“Fine,” she said, retreating into her wagon to grab her hat and cape. “Whatever it is, it had better be worth it, Novus.”

“No promises,” Nova replied from outside.

Trixie hid a smile. Moving to Ponyville to live around Starlight had been one of her better decisions. Sure, she had some sour memories of the town, but everything since had been nothing but uplifting. And now she was making plenty of money working a real job that she was actually good at! Why hadn’t she gone into student counseling before?

And even though Starlight was easily her best friend, and Aegis was her best stallion friend, and Mudbriar and Sunburst were her best stallion non-coltfriend friends, and Maud was her best earth pony friend, there was always a special place for Nova. Was it annoying that he was going to marry the goody fourshoes? Most certainly, but she never minded making time for her close friends, and he was no exception.

“Alright, let’s do this,” she stepped out wearing her usual getup. Nova had summoned his own Knight Master cloak, or whatever it was called. It was a sharp thing, not gaudy like her star-spangled cape. Simple, flowing, and a deep navy blue, held together at the neck with a sapphire brooch. And also unlike her cape, it was practical. She’d seen Nova use it to teleport, seen him use it to turn invisible, seen him use it to shield himself from spells...

Apparently the goody fourshoes had one too, except hers was a bright gold, given she had been Princess Celestia’s student and all, but she never wore or used it. Something about it being a historical artifact and something else about clovers.

“So,” Trixie said conversationally as they trotted their way through the town toward the path to the forest, “tomorrow’s your big day, huh?”

“Yep,” Nova grinned, but Trixie didn’t miss the very slight note of nervousness in his voice that betrayed the brave face he was putting on. “Four years of training, and tomorrow I become the Archmage.”

“Really, I honestly could not be happier for you,” Trixie replied, beaming as well. Given their… complicated history, to see Nova reclaim what was inadvertently taken from him by her father felt like the last vestiges of injustice from the incident at Celestia’s School were finally being given closure. “After everything you’ve been through, you deserve it.”

“Thanks,” he said.

They were now entering the forest that had haunted her nightmares for several months after the madness of four years ago. Even as the sunlight of the afternoon gave way to the dank gloom, she couldn’t help but suppress a shudder.

“You alright?” Nova looked back at her.

“Fine,” she said, before shaking her head vigorously to get her head in the game. “It’s not for very long. So, where’s this thing you want to show me?”

“This way,” he said, leading her along the path that led towards the Castle of the Royal Sisters.

...and also the Everfree Vaults.

“We won’t be going far in,” Nova promised her. “Just far enough to maybe say hello to Steven Magnet, but then we’ll be back out.”

“How do you do this?” she asked, looking every which way. “There are manticores, cockatrices, pukwudgies, Ursa Minors, and Ursa Majors in here, not to mention all of the general chaotic magic that the forest is responsible for, and yet you go on little strolls in and out like it’s nothing.”

“This forest was my home for a year and a half,” Nova replied. Trixie didn’t miss how distant his voice got when he said that, how nostalgic he sounded. “Even now, I could show you where my old house was. Not there anymore,” he added, “but I still could show you the spot.”

“Is your house what you’re showing me out here?”

“Nope,” Nova shook his head, pushing through a thick patch of brush, being gentlestallionly enough to hold a branch open for her to pass under. “It’s something… else.”

They ventured deeper into the forest, past the river where Steven Magnet lived, though he was nowhere to be found. To her surprise, as soon as they passed the river, he veered left and started to lead her along it.

“Aaaaand,” he said, a few moments later, “here we are.”

They had emerged into a clearing that stood in absolute contrast to the forest around it. Around the U-shaped area with the river forming the far boundary, the thick jungle of the forest loomed, with the many threats of the forest and what lay beyond.

But not here. Here, the world was quiet.

The ground looked well-maintained. The grass was kept to a short height, there was a faintly-glowing blue clover over on a tree around the edge. no doubt one of Nova’s making so he could remember where to find this place. The main attraction of the clearing, however, was the two weathered headstones sitting close to the river.

“Believe it or not,” said Nova, trotting over toward the two weathered stones, “this used to be a little grove of trees. Used to come here all the time. Yet here we are, over a thousand years later, and the trees are all around us and not here.” He let out one tiny chuckle. “One of nature’s little ironies.”

“What is this place?” Trixie asked, drinking in the sights, smells, and sounds around her. “Is this where you always go?”

“One of the places, yeah,” Nova nodded. He tapped one of the headstones, before looking down at the ground under it fondly. “This is what I wanted to show you. This little grove is where two ponies that meant a lot to me back then are buried.”

His horn shimmered blue and a field of silvery-grey flowers sprung up at the base of the right stone, from her perspective. She noticed that the color of the roses almost seemed to perfectly match Aegis’ coat color, but a lot of ponies were grey, so it didn’t mean too much.

“This grave belongs to General Steelshod, one of the most dedicated stallions I ever met. He was Captain of Princess Platinum’s Guard when I first met him, and at first, we didn’t get along, but… well,” he smiled fondly, “we kinda grew on each other, I guess.”

He stepped over to the other grave, where a twinkle of his horn later, a bed of lavender flowers grew out of the soil. The lavender shade was familiar… too familiar.

“Why are those roses the same color as Twilight’s coat?” she asked.

“Because, Trixie,” Nova’s smile grew positively tender as he stared down at the patch of earth beneath his hooves, “this is the grave of Lady Clover the Clever. The mother of my namesake, identical in appearance except cutie mark to Twilight Sparkle, and…”

Trixie glanced back up at him, just in time to see him wipe a tear from his eye, though he tried to hide it. She’d never seen Nova in so personal a mood before. Was he seriously trusting her with all of this?

“...and she was just as important to me as Twilight is now,” he added softly, trotting over and giving the headstone a fond rub.

He stared down at the headstone for several long moments, his eyes misting over. It was such a personal moment, not even Trixie would interrupt it. Nova Shine sharing personal moments with anyone besides Twilight and Princess Luna were a rarity as it was, but now he was sharing one with her. He sniffed sharply, and returned to his senses after a long moment.

“Anyway,” he cleared his throat, “since I’m going to be living in Canterlot soon, I’m not going to be able to take frequent trips into the forest to maintain this place. I know it’s asking a lot,” he said, slowing down, clearly aware of the baggage this place held for her, “but I’m asking you, as a friend, if you would be willing to check in from time to time and make sure everything’s well kept.”

Trixie took a deep breath.

“Novus, you know I hate this place,” she said, and she could almost see Nova deflate just a fraction, though that was the opposite of what she actually wanted. “After all, you know that not far from here at all, I was held prisoner by Envy. It’s not got the best of memories for any of us, let’s be real,” she kicked at the ground idly playing with a stray rock just under her hooves, “but this place clearly means a lot to you. I don’t think I’ll be able to do it every day like you do--”

“Only most days,” Nova corrected.

“Still,” she continued, “I can probably ask Zecora or something. I’ve kind of got responsibilities now. Be honest, could you ever see Trixie with actual responsibilities a year ago?” she asked, grinning.

Nova couldn’t help the small smile that crossed his face.

“But… yeah, I think I can do that,” she said softly. “I may hate this forest, but it clearly means a lot to you.”

“Thanks, Bea,” Nova trotted over and gave her a quick side-hug.

“Stop that,” Trixie ducked out from the hug. “And don’t call Trixie ‘Bea’. Only Aegis can call Trixie ‘Bea.’”

“Alright, alright,” Nova chuckled. “Speaking of Aegis, how’s things between you two?”

Trixie couldn’t help but frown just a tad, but shrugged. “Same old same old, really. Kinda hard to spend time together when one’s a guardspony up in Canterlot and the other’s a full-time counselor, part-time performer down in the valley. But,” she smiled, “we make time. We were actually going to go on a date after your Ascendancy. Just like when the goody fourshoes was coronated, remember?”

“How could I forget?” Nova smirked. “Aegis insisted it wasn’t a date, but well… you remember how insistent I was that Twilight and I had nothing going on way back when.”

“Oh, do I,” Trixie grinned. “What was the phrase? ‘Just balls up and ask her out already’?”

“Well, I did,” Nova replied, using his magic to clean some dirt off of the grave of the general. “And, well… it was the best decision I ever made.”

“Even more than accepting the position of the Night Apprentice?” she asked. “Even more than deciding to become the Archmage?”

“I didn’t decide to become the Archmage,” Nova corrected. He was now removing every tiny bit of grime he could find from the general’s grave. Trixie recognized this tic of his; he was getting into the perfectionist state he tended to get in when he was approaching an uncomfortable topic. “Luna offered it to me one night and I accepted.”

Trixie stared at him as he went about his work. That didn’t sound good. The slight nervousness earlier, the sudden brusqueness now.. What was eating him?

“Do you want to be the Archmage?” she asked tentatively.

“I do,” Nova replied curtly, but he almost sounded as though he didn’t believe it himself. She’d never picked up that energy-sensing thingy he had, much less his apparent lie-detection superpower, so she couldn’t confirm it was a lie, but...

“Better question, then,” she amended. “Do you think you are ready to be the--”

“Fuck no!”

Trixie now had a front row seat as Nova Shine collapsed onto his haunches, holding his head between his hooves, and was starting to hyperventilate.

“I’m not ready for this! How could I be ready for this? I‘m about to step into this position that my namesake and our ancestor both held, that many ponies have served in and did amazing things, and I am not fucking ready!

And the Nova Shine, unflappable Nova Shine, who had a sarcastic one-liner ready to go for any given situation, who had stared down Nightmare Moon without a flinch, who had bested even Envy and had faced Sombra, broke down entirely and started crying.

Trixie didn’t know what had happened. One minute he was yelling and hyperventilating, and the next here he was, with his face buried in his hooves, sobbing miserably.

“I’m n-not ready for this, Trixie!” he bawled. “I’m nowhere near as good a wizard as N-Nova Shine the First w-was, or Star Sw-wirl, and I’m exp-pected to just jump r-right in and do amazing things!“

Acting purely on instinct, and off of things Twilight Sparkle had told her about their time of courtship, Trixie dashed over and just hugged him from behind.

The move startled Nova, possibly because she had just ducked out of a much more indirect hug only moments before. He was still breathing too quickly and too lightly, but at least he seemed too surprised to be crying.

“Got it all out?” she asked gently.

“No,” Nova shook his head and pawed at his eyes. “I’ve got s-several more weeks of anxiety backed up, if you’re gonna b-be here to deal with it.”

“What are friends for?” she asked, still holding onto him. “Why haven’t you told anyone else about this? Surely Twilight, Luna, and Celestia would listen if you didn’t think you were ready.”

“I did tell them!” Nova threw his hooves up into the air. “I’ve told them multiple times now. They all just assured me that it was nerves, and Luna even promised to ease me into the position so that I wouldn’t be overwhelmed. That did help a bit, but it still doesn’t change the fact that--”

“That you feel like you don’t deserve it,” Trixie cut in.

Nova nodded, shuddering as he did so. “I don’t, Trixie. I really don’t. I haven’t done anything special, have I? They’re just doing this because my fiance is about to become ruler, and they need me to be a fit match for her.”

“It sounds like you have a textbook case of Imposter Syndrome,” Trixie let go and scooted over to sit beside him, as the pleasant rushing of the river sounded throughout the grove. “I don’t suppose there’s any point in asking if you know what that is, since Twilight Sparkle’s probably made you memorize the entire dictionary, right?”

Even in his frantic state, Nova couldn’t resist a chuckle, but he shook his head.

“Really?” When Nova shook his head again, Trixie let herself enjoy knowing something Nova didn’t for just a moment, before elaborating. “Imposter Syndrome, Nova, is when somecreature thinks that any success or accomplishment came because of luck or coincidence, rather than because they genuinely earned it, no matter what their actual level of skill is. And as you may suspect,” she smiled ruefully as she recalled those days, “I had a problem with it, once upon a time.”

“You did?” Nova asked skeptically, finally looking over in her direction. “The mare who’s got enough self-confidence to speak in third-pony had a self-confidence problem?”

“I still do,” Trixie admitted, letting the smile vanish. “I’m like you, actually. I’m supposed to be the heir of the Lulamoon family, the heir to Star Swirl the Bearded’s legacy,” she said in a mocking high-pitched voice, “that whole thing. When I was still a full-time performer, all I could think about was that the applause I got wasn’t because I’d earned it, it was because they knew who I was and were making me feel better because of who my family was. And now, when I’m the Student Counselor, sometimes I just wonder if Starlight only gave me the position because she felt bad for not making me her Vice Head Mare.”

Nova just watched her, with the occasional sniffle.

“But, well,” she shrugged, “if Twilight thought I was a bad fit for the job, she would have told Starlight. We may not be able to stand each other, but if she can show that kind of faith in me, then I can show that kind of faith in myself.”

“Yeah, but you’ve actually proven you can handle it,” Nova pointed out. “What have I done?” Trixie opened her mouth to answer, but Nova cut her off. “And don’t say ‘Oh, you’ve trained for the last four years.’ Seriously Trixie, what have I actually done to warrant a promotion to this position?”

“You… you defeated Envy.”

“Yeah, with your and Twilight’s help. And we barely survived that battle.” He shook his head. “And ever since, I’ve been fucking useless.”

“That’s not true and you know it,” Trixie refuted, but Nova persisted.

“It is, Trixie. Think about it,” he threw a hoof into the air. “When Tirek attacked, I wasn’t able to help because I was one of the first ponies he stole magic from. I still have nightmares about that,” he added, tearing up again. “Being helpless, and without any magic to rely on… but that was only the beginning. I was kept on the sidelines when Starlight came after Twilight. I was left completely alone when Chrysalis kidnapped everyone, and I was too late to come and help you guys save them. I was one of the captured ponies during the Storm King’s invasion. Star Swirl didn’t even want my assistance when they went to save Stygian--”

“You weren’t an Element of Harmony, though!” Trixie cut in. “Star Swirl wanted the Elements to help defeat Stygian.”

“Yes, and he still let Starlight come along,” Nova spat. “Not me, not the stallion he had known in the past. I was left here in Ponyville when the magic disappeared again, and I still have nightmares about that night too! When Sombra invaded, I was one of the ponies he mentally enslaved. And when Tirek, Cozy, and Chrysalis attacked only a few weeks ago, where was I?

“...I don’t know,” admitted Trixie, capitulating.

“Helpless, without magic once again, because Tirek came across me in Canterlot,” Nova answered. It broke Trixie’s heart to hear just how broken he sounded when he said that. “I’m supposed to become the Archmage, and to marry Twilight in the next few weeks. I’m supposed to be the pony that Twilight can rely upon in times of crisis, and I’ve done nothing to prove that I can.”

He wiped his eyes, sniffling.

“Ever since we defeated Envy, I’ve been nothing but a constant casualty, or left on the bench.”

“Those weren’t your fault,” Trixie stated, in the most commanding voice she could muster. It was hard to enter “princess mode”, since it meant she would have to channel the goody fourshoes, but Nova needed it now more than ever, and she wasn’t going to back down. “What you’ve just told me is that you’ve been in the wrong place at the wrong time every time something has happened. Nova, did you at least fight?”

“Of course I did!” he answered, looking insulted at the implication. “You think I was just going to lie there and take it!?”

“Then it sounds to me,” she said, letting a light sing-song quality sneak into her voice, “as though you were one of the first targets they went after, or that you were left alone because they didn’t want to get on your bad side.”

“What do you mean?” Nova’s eyes narrowed suspiciously.

“When Tirek attacked, you said you were one of his first targets, right?” He nodded. “I remember the peacekeepers saying he deliberately sought out the most powerful unicorns he could to absorb their magic first. That’s why he hung around Canterlot. You having your magic taken so soon fits you in with that crowd.”

“Or I could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, like you said,” he countered.

Trixie sighed impatiently. “Look, just…” Her horn flashed pinked, and Nova found himself gagged by a white handkerchief. “Shut up and let me finish encouraging you.”

“Mmph!” Nova glared at her. She ignored him.

“Okay, so you were among the ponies Tirek wanted to neutralize early last time. Sounds like he remembered you this time, since you said you got neutralized pretty early again,” she continued, putting two and two together. “Anyway, chronologically, Starlight was after Twilight for disrupting her village plans, so you were never going to be involved with that one. Then there was the Chrysalis business, which I honestly have no idea why you were left alone. But it doesn’t matter, we still got everyone back safe and sound. I couldn’t begin to understand the relationship between you and Star Swirl, so I’m not gonna comment on that one. The Storm King managed to imprison everyone except Twilight and her friends, including all three other Princesses, me, and Starlight, don’t forget. Cozy was trying to get Sparkle and her friends out of the way, but didn’t care too much about anyone else unless they snooped too deep into her plans. And finally, Sombra enslaved everyone, not just you. Twilight and her friends were simply away from Sombra when he used his spell. And as I said before, Tirek must have come after you again because he knew you were just as powerful as last time.”

Nova just stared at her, not even trying to get anything through the gag in his mouth.

“Look,” Trixie sighed, reaching a hoof over and draping it over his shoulder, “you’re one of my closest friends, alright? Even though we don’t hang out like me and Starlight do, or have the same relationship as Aegis and I, or you and Twilight have, I still think of you as one of my closest friends. It hurts me to see you like this, and I’m sure it hurts Twilight even more. So please,” she felt herself teetering on the edge of breaking down as well, “talk to us. I’m not one yet, but I’m going to be studying to become a certified counselor, now that it’s my job! If you need someone to talk to, I’m always here for you, Novus.”

Nova leaned into her hug, resting his head lightly on her shoulder at that.

“It’s a good thing we’re out here alone,” Trixie observed. “Twilight might get a little jealous if she saw this.” Her horn shimmered, and the gag removed itself.

“Then I suppose it’s a good thing she’s well aware of what we have.”

“Oh, Nova Shine,” Trixie covered her mouth in faux-shock, “are you coming on to me? Why, you’re an engaged stallion, and I’m an attached mare!”

Nova chuckled, a welcome change from how depressed and vulnerable he had gotten over the last several minutes. “You know what I mean. She’s well aware of how close we are.”

“Aegis too,” she added, before smirking. “He told me there’ve been times where he’s felt like a third wheel whenever the three of us are in the same room.”

Nova sniffed again, but this was closer to a laugh than a cry. Nova’s moody self wasn’t something new to her, and she knew from personal experience and some chats with Twilight that he could go from completely morose to suddenly as bright as ever, but usually whenever he did so, he was masking it so others felt better.

“Look,” she removed her arm, but rested a hoof on his near shoulder, “we both know that this talk didn’t magically cure you.of your issues, or suddenly grant you the confidence in yourself you need to take this job. So please, come talk to us. To me, to Sparkle, hell, go talk to Maud for all I care! She and Mudbriar really are great listeners. But you need to talk to someone.”

“Alright,” Nova dipped his head.

“Promise me, Novus,” she insisted.

“Alright. I promise.”

Pinkie Promise.”

“Is that really necessary?” Nova asked, annoyed.

“Yes,” Trixie replied evenly.

Nova sighed again. “Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my-- ouch!”

“Like Sparkle, like Novus,” Trixie smirked as Nova rubbed at the eye he had accidentally poked. “She never seems to get it right either. Alright,” she got back to her hooves and offered one to Nova to help him up, which he took. “We’ve gotta get back to Ponyville. I know you and the Council have one last little romp later before Aegis picks us up.”

“Thought he was coming back after dropping us off,” Nova furrowed his brow.

“He doesn’t know that he’s not yet. I don’t need to bring anything else with me, given Father lives up there, so all he has to worry about is one more pony to carry, and trust me,” she smiled proudly as she talked about her macho coltfriend, “he can carry five ponies in one carriage all by himself, so three, or two if Sparkle decides to fly separate, should be no big deal.”

“Well, three and a baby dragon, if Spike doesn’t fly, but cool. It’s a double-date.”

“Oh, Nova, you really are coming onto me!” She punctuated it by sidling up and pressing into him, just enough to normally make ponies uncomfortable. But Nova, who could apparently stonewall Princess Celestia herself, didn’t exactly elicit normal responses.

“Oh, perhaps another time,” he sighed wistfully, not shying away, but not reciprocating. “You see, I find that I have the most peculiar attraction to lavender coats, horns, and wings all in one package.”

“This is why I love hanging out with you,” she exclaimed, stifling her giggles. “Maud and Muddy don’t know how to laugh, Sunburst gets flustered easily, and Starlight is just so serious a lot of the time. Honestly, you and Aegis are breaths of fresh air in the wisecrack department, and Aegis is from Brayton! Deadpan humor is his whole thing.”

“There will be plenty of that on the flight to Canterlot then,” Nova promised, with a smirk of his own. “I can promise you that.” He let out a deep breath that seemed to ease untold amounts of tension as he visibly sagged. “Thanks, Trixie. I…” he swallowed, “I think I’ll take you up on talking to you more in the future. Twilight’s gonna have a country to run, so she won’t be there all of the time.”

“Hey, you’re always welcome in my wagon, and at the school,” she assured him. “Anytime, anywhere, anything for a friend.”

Nova brightened at that, and they trotted off back to the town, enjoying each other’s company the entire way. Nova had always appreciated Trixie as a friend, but never more than he did now.

They never noticed the red pair of eyes watching them as they trotted away.


It was late in the afternoon when a golden chariot landed outside the Castle of Friendship, pulled by only one pony. Nova watched from within as Lieutenant Aegis unhitched himself from his ride and trotted over to the door. A few quick knocks, the opening of the door, and the two friends were hugging it out.

“Aegis!” Nova exclaimed, slamming a hoof several times into his armor-covered back. The pegasus stallion was broad-shouldered and muscular, the build of a typical guard, but the lieutenant’s armor he wore lacked the uniformity enchantment that usual Peacekeeper armor had, so Aegis’ steel-grey coat and black mane were easily visible under the plate, and his grey eyes brightened considerably when seeing his old friend.

“Nova!” Aegis repeated, doing the same, though Nova felt his hits considerably more than he figured Aegis did.

“Ow,” Nova winced as they let go, before reaching back and rubbing at the throbbing spot. “You didn’t have to hit so hard.”

“You didn’t have to try to thump my armor at all,” the guardspony said, before readjusting the pieces of plate. “This isn’t about Spurs finishing ahead of Arsenal three years in a row is it?”

“It might be,” Nova answered, trying his best to put on a mysterious, impassive smile. The effect was ruined when Twilight trotted in, with three suitcases color-coded carried in her magic. Nova had successfully talked her out of bringing the twelve (four for each of them) that she’d wanted to bring, but he was sure that just meant Twilight had just stuffed even more than necessary into each bag.

Hard to see why. None of them regularly even wore clothes, and the Ascendancy was supposed to be a clothes-free event.

“Your highness,” Aegis said, giving a quick bow to Twilight.

“Aegis, I’ve told you this four times already. You don’t bow to me.”

“It’s kind of a courtesy the position is supposed to observe,” Aegis replied, helping her spread the suitcases around the rather large chariot for even weight distribution. “You could order me not to bow under threat of banishment to Tartarus, but I’d still have to, per position regulations.”

“I remember when Shining was bowing to Cadance every time he saw her in public,” she clambered onto the chariot and leaned against one of the sides, giggling at the memory as Spike flew out of the castle and onto the chariot as well. “She would do this silly salute every time she saw him in public until he finally stopped.”

She punctuated the statement by snapping to attention and making an exaggerated saluting motion, puffing out her chest, sucking in her lips, furrowing her brow, and even going to far as to stand as tall as she could.

Nova blinked. Funny though it was, something else had gotten his attention.

“You’ve gotten taller,” he noticed, trotting over to stand next to her. Sure enough, where Nova had been a solid few inches taller than her on his return now the top of her head came to just about eye level when she was standing at her tallest.

“I have?” she asked, blinking quickly, before comparing to him again. “Oh, wow, I really have.”

“Is growing not normal for alicorns?” Aegis asked, starting to hitch himself back up to the chariot. “I mean, I always thought you were eventually going to grow as tall as Princess Cadance at least with enough time.”

“Alicorns grow to accommodate the amount of magic our bodies contain,” Twilight replied, rubbing around her breast unconsciously. “If I’m growing, then I guess it means my connection to magic has gotten stronger lately. After how the battle against Cozy, Tirek, and Chrysalis ended, it doesn’t surprise me at all,” she added with a shrug, before giving Nova a catty grin. “I hope you enjoy your last few months of being the big spoon.”

Spike fake-gagged and Aegis let out a snort. Now that they were all loaded, it was time to go. Spreading his wings, Aegis cracked his neck, bent his knees, and--

“Wait! The Great and Powerful Trixie demands that you wait!”

--and almost fell forward as one last pony came galloping up and full-speed, her cape flapping in the wind behind her, one of her front hooves pinning her hat to her head, and with no bag in sight. Trixie leapt the last few meters of space, landing quite gracefully in the space in the chariot that Spike had been standing in only moments before, had Nova not snatched him out of the way with his magic just before she jumped.

“Ah, Trixie thanks you for not leaving her here, Aegis. It’s good that she can always count on you to wait for her,” she stretched, almost-certainly intruding into Twilight’s space intentionally, before she leaned over the front of the chariot and gave her coltfriend an affectionate pat on the back.

“I thought I was coming back to get you,” Aegis replied, looking thoroughly bemused, but pleased all the same. “We could have had the whole night sky to ourselves.”

“Trixie wasn’t going to pass up a chance to show off how strong her coltfriend is in front of Sparkle.” She glanced over to Nova and gave him a wink. Nova rolled his eyes. “And besides, this means that once you’ve dropped them off, we have the whole night!”

“I suppose that’s a fair assessment,” Aegis said, shrugging. “Hold on, we’re about to take off.”

After steadying himself and bending once again, he pushed off with a powerful flap of his wings, and they were off. The normal silhouette of Canterlot was missing from the side of Mt. Canterhorn, and it felt very odd to look up at it and not see the gorgeous palace that Princess Platinum had once built.

Once they were clear of the ground by several yards, Spike took to the skies too. Nova couldn’t help but admire just how well Spike took to the air after gaining his wings. It had taken Twilight several weeks to properly get the hang of flight; it took Spike all of three days.

“So, feel any better after our talk in the forest?” Trixie asked, now stepping away to give Twilight some space, though she made no move to allow Twilight to stand next to her fiancee.

“You two had a talk in the forest?” Twilight asked, glancing between them.

“Yes, Sparkle, and it’s a good thing you weren’t there,” Trixie said, her voice gaining that melodramatic quality as she pressed herself up against Nova. “Your dear coltfriend suddenly came onto Trixie in the woods, but Trixie is a mare devoted to her macho coltfriend, and despite Nova Shine’s irresistible charm, she resisted,” she added, giving her a smug grin.

Nova rolled his eyes and lightly shoved her off of him. “I just went and showed her the grove I always go to.”

“Oh, the one with…?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah, that one,” Nova nodded. “Figured I could trust her to keep it maintained. Gonna be a little difficult to do that when we move up to live in Canterlot full-time in the near future.”

Almost as though he realized that that meant for the first time, Nova felt a sudden pang of pain and sadness well up in him, and he glanced back at the disappearing town below, and even chanced a glance into the distance, at Neighton far away. It wouldn’t be the final time he left the valley-- even after he moved he would still visit, no question-- but it was as though the moment was really starting to dawn on him.

Everything was changing. His old life was about to truly be behind him, and his new life as the Prince-Consort and Archmage loomed ahead of him. Once again, he felt a pang of dread inside of him as tomorrow fast approached.

A hoof touched his shoulder, and he looked over to see Twilight giving him a sympathetic look. “I know,” she said softly. “I’m going to miss this place too.”

Not even Trixie was brave enough to disrupt that moment, even as they passed the clouds and they obscured their view of their home.

“So, where am I dropping you two off at?” Aegis asked, leveling the chariot out now that they had reached something of a cruising altitude. Canterlot was just barely visible on the horizon, with the lights of the untouched Lower Canterlot shining on the mountainside, while the relative dimness of Upper Canterlot was almost unnerving.

“The Princesses said they were currently staying someplace close to the main branch of Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns,” Twilight squinted ahead, before pointing toward an impressive cathedral-looking building, far in the distance. “Just drop us off at the school down there, I’m sure we can find them.”

“By your order,” Aegis reached up and saluted, before directing the chariot toward the distant cathedral building. “You ready for tomorrow?” he asked, glancing back at Nova.

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” Nova answered honestly. He didn’t miss the concerned expression Trixie sent his way, nor the unreadable one Twilight had. Spike, however, took the opportunity to fly down and land on his back, startling him somewhat.

“You’re gonna be an awesome Archmage, Nova!” he patted Nova on the neck. “Just let me know when you want to drop a meteor out of the sky, so I can come watch.”

“I don’t think I’ll be doing that anytime soon, Spike. Sorry to disappoint.”

It wasn’t technically a lie…

The flight was mostly quiet after that, though with the occasional chatter from Trixie or Spike as they got bored. Aegis wanted to focus on the flight, Nova was stewing in his emotions about tomorrow, and Twilight simply seemed to be enjoying staring at the countrysides around her.

“Head’s up,” Aegis called after several minutes. “We’re gonna be landing soon. Hold on.”

The chariot approached the school, before aiming downward and pulling to a stop at the steps of the school. The moment they landed, the door opened and two large, unmistakable figures trotted down to meet them.

“I told you they’d come here, Tia,” Luna gave her older sister the smuggest grin she could. “Nova Shine never passes up a chance to sit in the shadow of his ancestor.”

“Very well, Luna, here are your ten bits,” Celestia replied, with a small pouch appearing in a flash of golden light and a hoofful of gold coins floating out of it and into Luna’s outstretched hand. “How was the flight?”

“Uneventful, ma’am,” Aegis saluted. “Permission to return the chariot to the yard, and spend the evening with my marefriend?”

“Granted, Lieutenant,” Celestia nodded.

Aegis waited until they had taken all of their luggage out of the chariot, before he gave Nova a somewhat ironic salute. “See you tomorrow, Nova.”

“You too!” Nova called after him as Aegis took off, and he and Trixie vanished as they flew back toward the city.

“You didn’t have to meet us here,” Twilight said, picking up the three suitcases in her magic. “We know where you two are staying.”

“What, and pass up a chance to enjoy the evening with our two favorite ponies out of everyone in Equestria?” Luna asked, arching an eyebrow.

“Luna, you can’t just go around saying things like that in public. Not until she has all the power, anyway,” Celestia admonished, gesturing at Twilight. “Even if it is true.”

“Have Shining, Cadance, and Flurry gotten here yet?” Twilight asked, wondering if she’d get to see her BBBFF that night. Nova wondered if he’d get to see his BSBFF while she was at it, as well as his future niece.

“They arrive tomorrow morning,” Celestia answered, before tapping her chin. “Though with Flurry starting to gain a lot more conscious use of her wings and magic, she’s hit that age where she might delay them even longer…”

“Just us tonight,” Luna replied, sidling over to Nova and draping a wing over his back. “I wanted to be there for my old apprentice the night before his big day.”

Old apprentice? Nova scoffed. “I’ll have you know I’m quite young, thank-you. And I’d happily be your apprentice for the rest of my life if you offered.”

“Ever the devoted Night Apprentice,” observed Celestia, with a touched smile. “When we move to Silver Shoals full-time, won’t you please come and see us? A seaside village is all fine and good, but our lives would be just so dull without the two of you in them.”

“What about me?” Spike asked from Nova’s back, before taking off and flying in front of Celestia with his back turned to where they were walking. “Can I come visit you too? When I’m older, of course,” he added hastily.

Celestia chuckled, reaching over and petting him on the head. “Yes, of course you can, Spike.”

“In such a time of great upheaval and change,” Luna said, a note of dramatics in her voice, “it is always nice that we can have these nights of peace, free from what the future brings.”

“Even Trixie could learn a thing or two from you, Princess Luna,” Twilight shook her head. “You just have such a way with saying dramatic things… No wonder Nova likes his theatrics so much.”

“I do try,” Luna grinned back at her.

“Just think,” Celestia looked up at the starry sky. “In just a few short moons, everything will be behind us. You will be well into your new lives, and we will be well into our own. It’s honestly a bit nerve-wracking. It has literally been centuries since I last had no duties.”

“Are you not going to take on new Night Apprentices and Faithful Students?” Nova glanced over. Luna shook her head.

“Neigh, Nova Shine. We have decided to leave that to you.” Nova’s insides gave an uncomfortable lurch. “We have agreed not to take on any more students for some time, and as such it will be up to the two of you to take any Faithful Students or Night Apprentices you so choose.”

“Shouldn’t the Night Apprentice be the student of the Princess of the Night?” Nova asked, dismayed. Why was so much being heaped on him so soon?

“You do not have to call your student the Night Apprentice, if you wish,” Celestia pointed out. “You can call them whatever you want. What matters is that they’re an apprentice you have chosen. Should you decide not to take one, then that is your decision. But traditionally, archmages do train their successors when the time has come for their retirement.”

“Just something to think about,” Luna pulled Nova close. “But we can leave all of that for later. Tonight, we relax, and we enjoy ourselves. Tomorrow, we have a ceremony, and the day after that, Nova Shine’s new life begins! Tonight is a night for celebration if you ask me!”

“I’ll only be in the mood for partying if me and Twi get to share a bedroom. We should be married by now for goodness sake,” Nova huffed.

“I believe that was the plan, was it not?” Luna glanced over to Celestia with a small amount of confusion. “Two bedrooms, one for the two of you, and one for Spike?”

Nova and Twilight both stopped dead in their tracks, looking at each other sheepishly. Nova slipped out from under Luna’s wing in the process, causing both of their teachers to look back in surprise.

“Don’t tell me the two of you assumed we were splitting the two of you up in the name of a courtesy that literally no one observes anymore,” Princess Celestia suppressed a chuckle. “Oh Twilight, when I told you that you really must stop reading those musty old books, it’s gratifying to hear you never stopped.”

“Old habits,” Twilight shrugged sheepishly.

“Nevertheless, I think Luna has the right idea,” Celestia smiled fondly over at her younger sibling. “Tonight is a night to celebrate the years behind us. Let’s stow the bags at our temporary home, and let’s go and enjoy Nova Shine’s last night as merely the Night Master!”

“Hear hear,” Luna repeated, ushering Nova forward again.

And even though tomorrow’s shadow loomed over him, Nova found that the company of his former teacher, his wife-to-be, and one of his great friends proved to be a welcome rest from the terrors that lie beyond.

But tomorrow was only a dream away.


WHAT WAS I THINKING!?

Nova paced outside the double-doors in front of him, hearing everything on the other side, and feeling as though the world around him were spinning.

He wasn’t ready for this, how could he be ready for this!? How was he supposed to be the one unicorn in all of Equestria that the entire field of magic fell to!?

How was he supposed to live up to a mantle that Star Swirl himself had once held!? That Nova Shine I once held!?

Leaning on the wall next to the doors, however, Knightmare Frigoris watched Nova pace with an amused expression on his face, the definition of contrast next to the panicking Nova Shine. The thestral as wearing the usual armor of Luna’s Knightmare Brigade, and his orange eyes slowly oscillated back and forth as Nova trotted to the end of the hall, turned, and trotted back, turned, and did it again.

Across from him, leaning on the other side of the door, Aegis was just shaking his head at the panicky antics of his friend. His typical Peacekeeper Lieutenant armor had been replaced with something he and Shining Armor had both called the Dress Metals, a much finer, more showy, less-protective armor for special occasions. Apparently it was restricting, because he was having a hard time turning his head to watch Nova go.

“She really has had an effect on you, hasn’t she?” Aegis observed, in more of a statement than a question.

“Who?” Frigoris asked, in a soft cool voice.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Aegis answered, with a smirk. “She used to have panic attacks like this all the time, and Nova was the unflappable one. And now, as I understand it, Twilight is the picture of serenity with the coronation is on the horizon. Meanwhile, Nova is over here about to have a heart attack.”

“I suppose he is nervous at the prospect of becoming the Archmage,” Frigoris mused, cracking his neck slightly. “You may want to calm yourself, Lord Archmage,” he added, glancing at Nova. “Mother is about to call you inside.”

“Mother?” Aegis tilted his head.

“Princess Luna,” Frigoris answered, straightening up and taking a position on the left of where Nova would be.. “We may be creations of Nightmare Moon, but she is still our mother, no matter the name or colors she wears.”

“Cool,” Aegis said, standing up and trotting over to Nova, before giving him a hard slap across the face.

“OW!” Nova yelped, wincing as he realized it could have been loud enough to be heard inside. “What was that for!?”

“Calm down, for fuck’s sake!” Aegis ordered, glaring into his eyes. “You’ve faced down Envy, you can handle this.”

“I… I can’t th--”

Aegis slapped him again.

“Stop!” Nova rubbed at his sore cheek, wincing a little. “No amount of slapping is going to make me more ready.”

“No,” Aegis agreed, “but it will get you to get it together. You can worry about whether or not you’ll live up to anyone’s standard tomorrow. Today, however, put on a brave face, step inside, and become the Archmage, Nova.”

Nova stared into Aegis’ face, furious and ready to tell him off…

...only to let out a deep breath, raise his head high, and lightly brush away Aegis’ hooves.

“You’re right,” he said, stepping in line beside Frigoris, with Aegis taking the other side. “I can panic later. For now… well,” he grimaced.

“It’s time,” Frigoris said, standing tall, as Aegis did the same. Nova mimicked them, raising himself up to his full height, just in time for the double-doors to swing open.

It was an inspired decision, to have Nova’s ascendancy to be here, of all places.

With Canterlot Castle under reconstruction, they’d needed someplace to host a ceremony such as this, but more importantly, it needed to be in Canterlot. It was Professor Hoofman and Tantalus Lulamoon who came up with the suggestion, something that had actually caused Nova to cry just a little bit (though he would never admit it).

Nova, Frigoris, and Aegis stepped into the same lecture hall that Nova had once taken his entrance exam in. Fourteen years since that fateful day, and here he was, reclaiming his destiny in the very room in which he believed had once been stolen from him. The lectern and whiteboard had been removed, leaving the room oddly bare, despite the many places to sit along the tiers that worked their way down.

Everyone in the room turned to look at him as he and his two escorts strode into the room. Despite the hammering in his chest, and the slight wobble in his legs, Nova led the procession down the aisle, down to the space in the center of the room where four Princesses stood, as well as his father, Tantalus Lulamoon, Star Swirl the Bearded (whom Nova was amused to see was wearing the robe and hat with the bells attached), Thomas Hoofman, and Severus Neighsay.

Nova had never met Neighsay before, but he had helped save his fiancee’s life during the most recent attack on Equestria, and before when everyone’s magic was stolen, even if he tried to shut down Twilight’s pet project before that. So in his eyes, Neighsay was a welcome sight.

Nova didn’t take the time to look for familiar faces in the crowd, though he couldn’t help but chuckle when Shining Armor had to snatch Flurry out of the aisle before she could fly to her mom. Nevertheless, he could feel everyone in the room. Trixie was there, as was Starlight, Spike, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, and Fluttershy. Sharp Eye was close by as well. Balanced Budget, Lightning Lance, the Neighton ponies, they all were there, hanging toward the back. The Council of Gentlestallions were all seated around Big Mac, with Turner and Thunderlane actually stamping their hooves in approval as he walked in.

But Nova just sucked in a deep breath and continued down to the open space.

“Ponies, dragons, changelings, and every creature in attendance today,” Princess Celestia said, beaming down at Nova as he trotted up to her, with Luna and Twilight on both flanks, and Cadance on Luna’s other side, “we are here to witness the ascendancy of a new Archamge of Equestria, the first Archmage in over six-hundred years. The pony that has been nominated for the position is Night Master Nova Shine, son of Shimmer and Ray Novus, the heir to the Novus family, and the fiancee of Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

Celestia placed a gentle hoof on his shoulder, and the effect it had was immediate. Nova felt his quaking cease immediately, and the facade of confidence he was projecting started to feel like far less of a facade.

“Nova’s effect on Equestria cannot be understated, in ways everyone is aware, and not aware,” she continued, looking past him, but he couldn’t help but feel as though the words were meant for him more than the gathered audience members. “For instance, few are aware of his escapades in the time before a united Equestria. Nova played an integral role in bringing al three tribes together to unite them under the banner of Equestria, and he played an equally-vital role in defeating an old enemy only a few short years ago.

“It was Nova Shine whom my sister chose to make her first Night Apprentice after her absence, and it was Nova Shine who graduated from his apprenticeship faster than almost every previous Night Apprentice or Faithful Student before him. And in the time since, while it is true that my own former student and her friends have done fantastic things, keeping Equestria safe from threats within and without, Nova Shine has been quietly training to take up this mantle, a mantle that we now believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is ready for.”

Celestia withdrew her hoof and stepped back, as did Twilight, Cadance, and Luna, leaving him at the true center of the open space. Alone in a crowd, as it were.

“The Ascendancy Committee is comprised of several prominent figures in the field of magic,” Twilight said, her voice clear and in full lecture mode, which was fitting given the room they were in. “Lord Ray Novus and Lord Tantalus Lulamoon were selected because of their own knowledge and prestige in the field of arcanology. Doctor Thomas Hoofman was selected due to his position as the headmaster of Celestia’s School For Gifted Unicorns. Chancellor Severus Neighsay was selected due to his position of authority within the E.E.A., and Lord Star Swirl was selected by reputation. It is time for the committee to cast their votes. While it is true that four of these five ponies have a positive and personal relationship with Nova Shine in some way,” Twilight added, giving a quick glance over in Nova’s direction, as though she could sense this was running through his head, “these votes are cast with physical or verbal evidence for their approval or disapproval in the event of a personal bias or conflict of interest, to ensure that such votes or ballots may be disputed on valid grounds.”

Twi, did you actually memorize the law or regulation or whatever this was written on verbatim?

“With that in mind,” she continued, holding out a hoof toward them, “it is now time for the Ascendancy Committee to make their vote known.”

She lowered her hoof and stepped back, in line with Luna and Celestia, as everyone turned to look at the five unicorns standing off to Nova’s right. The first pony to step forward was Nova’s father.

Ray Novus surveyed the room in his spectacles, and gave a small smile, before producing a small foldier, with several documents inside, and laying it at his feet.

“As Lord of the Novus Family and as the candidate’s father, the evidence I provide is a compilation of results from recent magical assessments to gauge a unicorn’s potential, and Nova’s results therein. The methodology used is also described, in case there are any challenges to the impartiality of these assessments. In short, however, my vote is aye.”

A couple of the ponies in the room, by the sound of things it was Turner and Pokey Pierce, let out whoops and stamped their hooves in approval.

Ray Novus stepped back, and Tantalus Lulamoon stepped forward, his hard and angular face far softer than usual, and with a wrinkle or two starting to appear on it. Nova had to wonder how quickly age was catching up to the ponies of his generation. His father, too, looked like his mane was a fair amount greyer than he remembered, on second glance.

“As Lord of the Lulamoon Family, the evidence I provide is his pair of personal diaries, one from his time in the past, translated with his help from the encryption and cipher he once used, and one from his contemporary tenure as the Night Apprentice.” His horn flashed a very pale blue, and two leather-bound books appeared in front of him. Nova felt himself smile fondly at the sight of both of them. Oh, the memories… “Within, one may find his recollections and experiences from his time as Princess Luna’s Night Apprentice, showing the lessons he has learned, the trials he has overcome, and personal insights he has had. My vote, based on what I have read from them, is aye.”

The whooping came back, and there were a few more ponies that sounded their assent. “Hear hear!” Nova heard from one of the Neighton ponies. It could have been Mayor Budget, but he wasn’t entirely sure.

Tantalus stepped back and Professor Hoofman stepped forward, his white beard shining in the room’s late afternoon sun as it shone through the window. He, too, presented a file with several documents within.

“As Headmaster of Princess Celestia’s School For Gifted Unicorns, the evidence I provide is the full inquiry into the incident at this very school fourteen years ago, in which Nova Shine took his entrance examination for this school, achieved a perfect score, and yet was omitted from the list of accepted fillies and colts due to bribery. I have also obtained the testimony of the former headmaster Nocturnal Glow,” Hoofman’s voice suddenly raised and he addressed the crowd. “Have I presented the results of the inquiry in a manner consistent with the final findings based on your intent, Headmaster?”

Nova looked back to the audience in time to see a navy blue stallion stand up. He was a very old stallion, with a heavily-wrinkled face, a large pair of glasses, and a mane that had gone pure white with time. He nodded his head at Professor Hoofman, before turning to look Nova Shine directly in the eyes. “You have indeed, Headmaster Hoofman,” he said, his voice soft, but firm. “I say it is finally time we cleansed this stain on the school’s history. I fully support the ascendancy of Nova Shine and affirm that my inquiry’s findings have been presented in accordance with my intent. You will find my signature of endorsement within the document.”

Nova felt an odd stinging in his eyes, and had to look away before anyone saw him lose his composure.

“Very well,” Hoofman continued. “My vote is aye.

Ray and Tantalus were the first to clap this time, and Nova didn’t miss how they seemed to subtly shift closer to each other as they did so, but the entire room exploded into applause this time. Nova had a majority, but he knew that wasn’t enough. The committee would only pass a recommendation based on the votes to the Princesses, and they were supposed to deliberate and decide based on who dissented. And unfortunately, the two most influential members of the committee, with far less personal bias, were about to speak.

First, Severus Neighsay. The E.E.A. chair stepped forward, brushing back his black mane as he did so.

“As the chair of the Equestria Education Association, I submit my evidence for the ascendancy of Nova Shine. I offer no physical evidence, as my co-committee members do. Rather, I offer evidence from my experiences with Nova Shine. Although we have not met face-to-face before today,” he and Nova met each other’s eyes, “I have been watching him from afar ever since Princess Sparkle opened her school in Ponyville. I have only recently come to appreciate what the magic of friendship can provide to all of us, and to all creatures,” he admitted, his head reflexively bowing as he said it, “so my original intentions for keeping an eye on things were not quite as noble as you should expect. Nevertheless, I always held a high opinion of Nova Shine in his role of teacher, whenever he was called upon by his fiancee to do so. While it is true that, unlike her immediate circle of friends, Nova Shine is not a full-time teacher at the school, he seemed to have a very natural way with foals, and he seemed to be an excellent teacher when he was there, even when I was searching for reasons to have the school closed down.

“One of the duties of the Archmage is to lead Equestria forward in the education of the many fields of magic, and based on his own experiences, as well as his abilities when handling foals and teaching, I believe Nova Shine is capable. My vote is aye.

Nova let out the breath he didn’t know he had been holding. The applause was even louder than last time, now. Four out of five in favor.

But the last one...

The applause died immediately as Neighsay stepped back, and Lord Star Swirl stepped forward, the bells on his clothing jingling ever so slightly, but they seemed to sound like cathedral bell tolls in the room’s silence.

Nova knew what everyone else did. While the say of the other four had some pull, even if three of those had a large amount of personal bias, they were nothing compared to a stallion whose very name needed no introduction. Star Swirl could have been a one-pony committee, had he wanted to be.

“Let us all be honest,” he began, his voice carrying throughout the lecture hall, “my voice and my vote will carry the most weight from among this committee. After all, it cannot be denied that I need no introduction. I taught Celestia and Luna everything they know, and I served as Equestria’s first archmage, for a brief time. Should I vote neigh, then there is a considerable chance that the Princesses will deny Nova Shine the position. Had all four of my compatriots,” he gestured down the line, “voted neigh, and had I voted aye, the Princesses could very well have chosen to take my word over the other four. Thus, it can be reasoned that it falls to me to decide whether or not the stallion presented before us is worthy and capable of the position.”

He took a deep breath as he and Nova locked gazes. His expression was unreadable, and Nova was wondering how this was going to play out. He hadn’t had much interaction with Star Swirl since Star Swirl’s return with the Pillars. They’d had a brief reunion, but then he always seemed to be busy, outside of the occasional time taken to aid Nova in his training.

“I first met Nova Shine over one thousand, two hundred sixty years ago,” Star Swirl continued, now addressing the crowd directly. “I knew almost immediately that he was from another time than the one we were currently in. After all, who better to recognize a time-traveller than the one who pioneered time magic? And despite this, his accomplishments impressed even me. Everything Princess Celestia said was true. Nova played an integral role in bringing the three tribes under her banner. Nova played a very large personal role in ensuring the unicorns came round in particular, as he saved Princess Platinum from the clutches of Sombra and the traitorous Silas Silverblood.”

The memory of a young changeling queen went through Nova’s mind, but with that came the image of a snarling statue as well, and he couldn’t help but frown at the painful pang in his gut.

“In recent times, I haven’t interacted with Nova as much as either of us would have liked,” he continued, giving Nova an apologetic glance. “Unfortunately, our duties do call us to different paths. However, I have taken part in Nova Shine’s training personally at times. And in each lesson I have given him, he took to it with exceptional speed. He has demonstrated every quality I believe an archmage should bear. An aptitude for learning, the humility to recognize when one is wrong and defer to the more knowledgeable, and most importantly, the perennial drive to improve beyond his current state.”

He smiled.

“I can think of no better pony for the position.” Star Swirl drew himself up to his tallest height. “My vote is aye.”

The applause was reaching a fevered pitch. Nova just shook his head. It seemed he and Trixie both inherited their taste for theatrics from their common ancestor. Nevertheless, he was not out of the woods yet.

Star Swirl turned to the four Princesses. “The committee unanimously recommends that Nova Shine be promoted to the rank of Archmage of Equestria.”

Nova saw Twilight tense slightly. Perhaps she was just nervous that now she was going to have to play a part again. He, too, felt a sudden wave of anxiety wash over him. This was it! Princess Celestia, however, nodded her head in that authoritative way, and stepped forward once again.

“Princess Cadance, Princess Luna, Princess Twilight, do any of you have any objections?” she asked, glancing back at the three of them.

And all three of them stood resolute, each one watching Nova with expectant smiles.

“Very well,” Princess Celestia dipped her head after what seemed to be an eternity. There was a flash of light, and Nova felt something soft drape itself across his back, before a polished onyx brooch fastened itself to his neck, bringing with it two ends of a cloak. “At the recommendation of the Ascendancy Committee, and with no objections from any acting princesses…”

She drew herself up to her tallest height, placed a hoof upon his head, and spoke in a voice that shook Nova to his very bones despite its tame volume.

“I, Princess Celestia, with Princess Luna, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, and Princess Twilight Sparkle, do hereby name the unicorn Nova Shine to the position of Archmage of Equestria.”

The dam broke. The room wasn’t exactly small, but it was still cozy, which only magnified the explosion of applause and cheers from the gathered ponies as Archmage Nova Shine turned to face them on shaking legs. Confetti streamed from the ceiling after a quick snap of the fingers from Discord. Balloons and streamers shot everywhere from a party cannon that had been hidden somewhere no one saw. A banner even magically appeared on the ceiling, saying “Congratulations, Archmage Nova Shine!” in what was clearly Rarity’s hoofwriting. Nova, however, was paying more attention to everyone’s individual reactions.

Shimmer looked to be on the verge of tears. Trixie and Aegis were among the most enthusiastic applauders, beaten out only by Pinkie Pie. Frigoris was nodding in approval. The Council and his Neighton friends were whooping and whistling. Spike was cheering and flying loops in the air. Night Light and Twilight Velvet were all smiles, as was Shining Armor. Even Flurry was clapping along, though she looked quite pleased that she was doing what everyone else was.

Outside the hall, observing the scene by peering through the crack between the doors, was a mare. A unicorn mare with red eyes, a maroon mane and tail, a green coat, and a gleaming ruby pendant closed around her neck.

The mare watched as Nova Shine stepped down and began to chat with the other ponies of the room with the ceremony officially finished.

“Many congratulations, old friend,” Envy muttered to herself, before sinking into the shadow and whisking off for parts unknown, with the ponies inside blissfully unaware.

There was only one pony among all of them who didn’t share in the explosion of approval. One pony who felt that the wrong choice had been made, but had refused to speak up out of fear of ruining the moment that everyone had worked so tirelessly to prepare for.

And he was now wearing the Archmage’s cloak.


Nova Shine, Twilight Sparkle, Celestia, Luna, Trixie Lulamoon, Aegis, Sharp Eye, Star Swirl the Bearded, and Bright Gleam

In

The Archmage's Last Bow