• Published 12th Oct 2019
  • 14,628 Views, 721 Comments

My Life As A Royal Changeling - Tangent



A middle aged brony finds herself inexplicably replacing Chrysalis as the new queen of the hive a few decades before a certain pony prophesy comes to fruition. Now the new queen must decide what direction to take the kingdom she inherited..

  • ...
22
 721
 14,628

Chapter 5

Mayfly blinked as she ducked her head into the throne room to see if Katydid was still inside with the new queen. Of the various possible reasons for one of her fellow royal attendants to be delayed in returning from serving their new queen, good and bad, discovering that their new queen was curled up asleep on the throne, clutching the missing attendant as if she were a pony foal's plush toy had not been even remotely on her list of expectations.

"Help?" Katydid requested quietly, trying to gently extract herself from the queen of snuggles.

Mayfly took in the scene, noting the details. She hadn't survived over ten years as one of Queen Chrysalis' personal attendants by being slow on the uptake. "I see that you served our Queen a sampler platter from the reserves."

"I thought it would be a good idea to offer a variety to see which ones she preferred."

"You do remember that our new queen was just born today, right?"

"Yes, but she's clearly past the nymph stage."

"Irrelevant," Mayfly shook her head as she picked up a fragmented crystal from the tray. "You just fed crystalized love to someling who has never eaten love before. What did you think would happen?"

"That she would cackle madly and make some proclamation about power?"

Mayfly thought back on some of Queen Chrysalis' previous meals and conceded that megalomaniacal rhetoric would not have been an unexpected response to a queen receiving an unfamiliarly high amount of love while feeding. "Fair enough. How many crystals did she consume."

"Just the one, but she ate all the gel samples first. She didn't touch the soups."

"I'll have Cicada return them to the reserves."

"Wait, where are you going? Don't leave me here!"

"Relax. I'm just going to get Junebug, Ladybug, and Ladybird to help me extract you from our Queen's loving embrace, and then you can help us move her to the royal bedchambers and put her to bed."

"What if you can't get her to let me go?"

"Then you get to sleep in the royal bed with our Queen."

"Meep!"

"Just remember that our new queen, for all her apparent advanced development, is a newborn," Mayfly warned. "Sully her innocence, and Meta Knight is likely to have your carapace processed into a heater shield.

"Meep!"

"Really, you're starting to sound like Honeydew's assistant. What was his name again? I think it was vial, flask, or something similar..."

"Mimimimimimimimimimi!"

"Yeah, I'm definitely seeing the resemblance now. Now hush, you don't want to wake up our Queen."

*O o O o O*​

As it turned out, even with the extra attendants on hoof, Katydid remained trapped in the sleeping queen's embrace as none of those present wanted to risk waking up their new sovereign.

"Please don't leave me!" Katydid pleaded desperately. "I don't want Meta Knight to kill me!"

"Oh?" Mayfly tilted her head curiously. "Who would you like to kill you?"

"That's not what I meant and you know it!"

"Fine, fine. Ladybug, Ladybird, you are on chaperone duty. Stay, observe, and make sure that nothing more inappropriate than snuggling occurs."

"But neither of us are on night shift!" Ladybug complained.

"You are now," Mayfly corrected as she turned and headed for the door. "Deal with it." And with that, Mayfly and Junebug left.

"So..." Ladybird glanced at Ladybug, "Think we can get some art supplies sent up? I think this would make a neat portrait."

"Please don't," Katydid protested quietly as she continued her attempts to extract herself from the queen's forelegs.

"Don't see how it would hurt to ask," Ladybug replied, ignoring Katydid. "I'll see if one of the guards will do a run for us."

"I hate you both so much right now," Katydid grumbled.

"Don't care," Ladybird stated.

"Do care. Think it's funny," Ladybug commented as she headed for the door to talk with the guards.