• Published 12th Oct 2019
  • 1,150 Views, 114 Comments

Logan and Carol; The Wolves of Equestria - JNKing

  • ...
7
 114
 1,150

Siren Arc Pt 5: Old Wounds

Author's Note:

Hello again,

Finally managed to get this out. Even then, I'm not fully sure how well this works. :applejackunsure:

Logan's going up against two foes that beat him before, and I'm hoping his moment of weakness doesn't play too much as him giving up hope for good. He picks himself up, like usual, but even badasses like him need a little assurance now and then. :twilightsmile:

Let me know if I can improve this in any way. And thanks again for reading.

Logan’s hands dove into his pockets, bringing out his ear plugs, but Luco kicked him in the shin, knocking him down. With a quick pinching sensation, Logan’s ear plugs were yanked from his fingers, as Luco rolled away with another kick to his chin. Logan’s back hit the wall, while Luco landed on Blazy’s back, the dragon-turned-dog struggling to support the man’s weight, but grinning as if it was no trouble. The deranged human then showed off, not one pair of ear plugs, but ten pairs, all nestled between his fingers.

Logan’s blood ran cold. “The others…” he whispered.

“I wouldn’t put much faith in reinforcements,” Luco admitted with a shrug.

The lead siren – the one with the afro – clapped at Luco’s performance, which he gave a quick bow to.

“You know, I was curious about when we’d get to meet face to face,” Afro said. “Ever since that fight in the cafeteria, I was curious about the two of you.”

“How’d you even find this place? Unless…” Logan glared at the blue one. “She WAS bait after all.”

Sonata shrugged. “Well, to be fair,” she noted, rubbing at her neck. “It wasn’t in the plan to lose my gem.” She gave a particular glare at the pink Siren, who turned away with a scoff. “Although, I don’t feel as hungry as I used to,” the girl added, before her stomach grumbled. “Scratch that; I’m hungry for something other than negativity and anger.”

“Aw, my poor little siren,” Luco cooed. “After we deal with these pests…” He fished a wallet out of his pocket. “Free tacos; on me.”

The blue one gasped in glee, only for the other two to hold her back.

“One thing at a time, Sonata,” the leader insisted, her gaze focusing on Luco. “Right now, I’m more curious about you.” she noted, walking over to Luco and resting her arm on his shoulder. “You have to love humans, eh, 'Logan?'” Adagio noted with a cackle. “Selfish, short-sighted and oh-so-easy to manipulate.”

“Well, it also helps that you have something I need, Adagio,” Luco said. He laughed at the look of shock that crossed Adagio's features. “Oh, surprised? I’ve known about you three for a while.” He winked at Logan. “Nicked the band playlist on my way out.” He pointed at each of them. “Adagio Dazzle.” He pointed at the pink one. “Aria Blaze.” He pointed at the de-powered Siren. “Sonata Dusk.”

“But you were tied up!” Logan protested. “How…?” Then he noticed Blazy whistling – howling? – softly to herself. “Ugh…” Logan growled.

"N-No matter," Adagio tried to say grandly. "He's at least not a threat." She turned her eyes to Logan, who had tried to draw closer to the tied-up Carol. “Not like you,” Adagio noted, sniffing the air with a smirk. “No, nothing like you.”

“Yeah,” Sonata noted. “Isn’t he that source of magic we sensed way back when? Y’know, the one that drew us to the high school, and could possibly bring us back to Equestria so we could make Equestria adore us…?”

Aria shoved her. “Shut up, Sonata!” she hissed.

“Hey, don’t be pushing around the cinnamon bun!” Luco snapped, jumping to Sonata’s side. Adagio and Aria stared at him before glancing at each other in worry, allowing Logan to creep another step closer to Carol. He could hear bustling from upstairs, but with the knowledge that they were completely unprotected, Logan only felt fear and nervousness clash against his focus on getting to Carol.

However, Adagio noticed the noise as well. Her grin widened, even as Logan crept closer to her.

“Either way," Adagio said. "You've been a rather sudden thorn in our sides, 'Logan.' An interesting one, I'll admit, but it's time to get you and your little friends out of the way.”

Logan stood his ground. “Not gonna happen.” He growled.

“Oh, careful, Low-gee-loo,” Luco noted, waving his ear plugs teasingly “Your voice may be the counter spell, but it’ll be a little hard for you to counter anything with a brain turned to soup and no trumpet.”

Logan pressed his fingers into his ears.

“I don’t need hands or my powers to kick your non-existent tails,” Logan snarled, crouching into probably the weirdest battle stance he had ever taken, what with him trying to plug his ears while looking menacing.

Though it probably wasn’t his ridiculous stance that the Sirens started to grin at.

Despite Logan trying to plug his ears, he heard Adagio say faintly, “Who said anything about kicking our tails?”

Logan tilted his head, before Aria and Sonata unchained Carol. However, before the girls could open their mouths, Carol threw herself forward, smacking her head on the floor.

“Carol!” Logan yelped, racing to her side. But her eyes were glassy, and fluttered shut.

“Don’t… wake me…” she mumbled. “Not gonna… fight you.” She smacked her head again, and went still.

Adagio tsked. “Aw, she doesn’t want to play,” she pouted.

“Well, if she won't...” Aria noted. "Someone else will.”

At that moment, the door burst open. Logan turned as the Humane Six and Twilight raced in, completely unprotected.

“Guys!” he screamed. “Don’t…”

But he was cut off by Rarity’s scream.

Before Logan could explain, a bat slammed hard into his head. Luco jumped over his body with a cackle. Just as Rainbow Dash moved to stop him…

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh, you didn’t know that you fell.

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh, now that you’re under our spell!”

Logan curled into a ball, pressing on his ears. The girls similarly tried to block out the sound, leaving Luco, Blazy and Sonata free to skip out. Blazy tried to take Spike with her, but the dog buried himself under Twilight, and Blazy was forced to follow Luco with a childish pout. Though Logan didn’t get much of a chance to watch.

We've got the music,
Makes you move it
Got the song that makes you lose it
We say "jump", you say "how high?"
Put your hands up to the sky

The song pressed against his blocked ears, leaking in through even the tiniest space. As Rainbow Dash looked up, Logan gasped as he saw her eyes flash green.

“Block your ears!” he pleaded. “Don’t listen to their…”

Suddenly, he remembered Carol. He spun around, but the hound was still out cold. Her eyes briefly fluttered open, then shut again.

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh
You didn't know that you fell
Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh
Now that you're under our spell”

Carol curled into a fetal position, pressing her claws against her ears. Logan dared to hope that she could resist. But then… a new voice cut into his ears.

“Fantastic!” Twilight’s voice growled. Logan spun to see Twilight glaring at him, her eyes flashing green. “Because you can’t listen to a single thing I tell you to do, you brought the Sirens here!”

Logan gaped at her in horror. He even saw her own eyes widen in horror underneath her expression of anger. The Sirens had gotten past her magic after all. Logan wanted to calm her down. But as he opened his mouth…

“Hey, I destroyed the gem,” Logan snapped. “There’s only two of them thanks to me.”

“Oh, right,” Twilight snapped back, despite the fearful look in her eyes. “Because that’s your solution for everything; destroy, punch and bite! You know, it’s no wonder the Celestia of this world hates you!”

Logan laughed, unable to hold back the negativity that had festered in his chest for the sun alicorn. “Oh, that is cute; you think I care what any version of that tyrant thinks of me,” Logan snarled.

“Are you honestly still mad at her?” Twilight demanded.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Logan shot back. “She killed my mother!”

Listen to the sound of my voice
Oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh
Soon you'll find you don't have a choice
Oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh
Captured in the web of my song
Oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh
Soon you'll all be singing along
Oh-whoa-oh

“Twi, Logan, enough,” Applejack said, trying to keep her ears plugged. “That-there Siren magic is making ya say these things. You guys are supposed to be friends!”

“Maybe,” Twilight snapped. “But I’ve had it with this insufferable grudge he’s got against my teacher.”

“And besides,” Rainbow Dash growled, her ears sadly unsecured. “You’re one to talk about being friends, Applejack, considering you argue with me every time I try to make our band look good.”

Applejack spun around, her eyes flashing as even she fell to the music.

“You keep hogging the spotlight every time we try to play!” Applejack insisted.

“I’m just trying to make sure my band rocks as hard as it can,” Rainbow Dash refuted.

“OUR BAND!” Fluttershy growled.

“Land sakes, Rainbow Dash,” Applejack growled. “It might have been your idea, but it ain’t just yer band!”

“Guys…” Sunset pleaded as the three dissolved into fighting. Logan noticed with relief that her ears were still plugged. She held up the tub of ear wax left over.

“Rarity?” Sunset tried to turn to the white girl, but…

“I seriously can’t believe you’d have something this depraved!” she was screaming at Pinkie.

“I was going through a phase!” Pinkie snarled back defensively. “Besides, you had one too.”

Rarity gasped in horror. “How dare you… I never…” Rarity sputtered in anger.

Logan looked at her in silent regret. Twilight too. But the magic wasn’t just making them mad at each other for no reason. Logan could feel the resentment and anger that had lay festering in his gut for Twilight and her precious teacher; feelings he had thought were long buried since he got Carol back. But the music brought them to the surface with barely any effort; like a laxative for emotions and bottled up feelings. And sadly, it seemed just as effective on Twilight.

“I want to know why you can’t figure out that Celestia isn’t your enemy,” Twilight continued. “Yes, she made mistakes, but those mistakes happened over two years ago. You need to let go!”

“And why should I listen to a word you say,” Logan snapped back. “You don’t know the first thing about a mother’s role; you traded your mother for Celestia!”

“I DID NOT!” Twilight screeched.

“YES, YOU DID!” Logan barked back. “You’d understand why I can’t forgive Celestia otherwise. She killed my mother! No matter what she does, I can never forgive that! That’s not just a ‘mistake,’ Sparkle!”

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh
You didn't know that you fell
Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh
Now that you're under our spell

“Please stop!” Sunset pleaded.

“I write songs too,” Fluttershy argued with Rainbow Dash. “You just never listen to me!”

“Rainbow Dash knew,” Pinkie was arguing with Rarity. “She even liked it!”

“That’s a lie, and even I can tell!” Rarity snapped back.

“It happened TWO YEARS AGO, Logan,” Twilight screamed. “You need to LET IT GO!”

“NEVER!” Logan snarled back. “I can’t believe I ever trusted a self-absorbed, greedy little human like you!”

That briefly stopped the arguing from the other Humane Five, but it also drew their ire.

“Hey, what’s wrong with being a human, mutt?” Rainbow Dash demanded.

“Oh, nothing,” Logan fumed, sarcasm and fury mixing like a cocktail in his voice. “I love you guys so much; all of you have your heads so far up your own egos, that if you hand out some green paper to some con artist having a pity party on the side of the road, you’re suddenly a hometown hero!” He stuck a finger in their faces. “All you discount apes do is ruin the lives of everyone else, and you don’t care about anything but yourselves!”

“We didn’t ruin your life, Logan Wolfe,” Rarity snapped. “Don’t blame us for problems we didn’t cause!”

“Yeah,” Rainbow Dash snapped. “Some of us don’t even know what happened! And with the way you act, I personally don’t even care!”

“Then what are you even doing here?!” Logan growled at her, pointing at the door. “GET OUT! Get out of my home! Get out of my life! Just… stop being human; just leave me alone!”

“It’s not your home!” Pinkie screamed. “It’s mine!”

“You wanna test that theory?!” Logan growled, raising his fists before Twilight jumped in.

“Stop it!” Twilight screamed. “Now you listen to me, Wolfe,” she said, turning on him. “You are not kicking anyone out of their own house! If I wanted to leave you here for the rest of your life, I could do it! You are not in control here! The only reason we’re in this mess is because you can’t sit still and think through your actions for one moment because you're angry that Celestia is stronger than you!”

Logan scoffed in disgust. “Oh, is that what you think this is?” he demanded.

“Yes!” Twilight snapped. "Two years may have passed, but you’re still just a scared little colt, lashing out at everything around him because he thinks acting like an angry jerk hides just how sad, terrified and pathetic he really is!”

“Well, at least I actually try to do something instead of just sitting back and thinking myself crazy,” Logan shot back. “If it wasn’t for me taking the incentive, you’d just sit back, whimper and mope while people like the Dazzlings, Sunset and Tirek took over everything! If they win, it’s your fault!”

“I’M NOT THE ONE WHO…” Twilight tried to scream before…

WHAP! SLAP!

Logan and Twilight’s heads snapped sharply to the right. Logan spun, finding that, for the second time in this world, Sunset had slapped him. Yet her cyan eyes weren’t narrowed in fury. With nothing but a pointed finger, she explained exactly why she wanted the others to stop.

Everyone froze. With a slow, creeping chill, they all noticed green mist swirling around them, wafting out of the basement. The singing had faded.

Logan swore before bolting to the door.

The door was locked, but Logan, Carol, Applejack and Rainbow Dash smashing it together broke the lock. The group surged up the stairs, only to see the front door swinging closed.

Logan bashed it open just in time to see the Sirens backing out of the driveway in Rarity’s car. Luco was behind the wheel, and Sonata was cuddling with Blazy. Behind them… Logan shuddered as he saw wings coming out of Adagio and her crony’s backs. Adagio was leaning out the window, letting her wings flare, while the crony was scrunched unhappily inside, her wings taking up too much of the back seat.

“Delicious!” Adagio declared to them happily. Sonata huffed, rubbing at her neck unhappily.

“First stop?” she asked Luco.
“Tacos, Siren, on the double,” he declared. “And then, we can discuss my little ‘business proclamation.”

Logan leaped onto the hood of the car, but with a quick twist of the wheel, Logan spun the car like a top. Logan’s human form lacked his claws, and he easily slid off the hood and tumbled into the sidewalk on the other side. With Aria giving Logan’s group a rude gesture, they sped off, leaving the group standing on the driveway in a state of shock.

“My car!” Rarity wailed, briefly racing after them, only to stop with a hopeless wail as they zoomed around the corner and out of sight.

“What… just happened?” Carol mumbled, stumbling out of the basement and rubbing a welt on her head. “Why…?”

Logan gasped and raced to her side. "Carol, are you...?" he grimaced at the welt on her head.

"I'm alright," Carol tried to assure him, even as he deflated. "Seriously, Logan, I'm fine."

"You would be if I had been there," Logan mumbled.

Carol tried in vain to comfort her pack mate, while Sunset looked at her friends sadly.

“It’s like Logan said,” Sunset realized. “It’s not healthy to conceal your feelings from each other.” She turned to the others. “Ever since the Rainbooms started, there have been small things getting to all of you; Rainbow Dash’s ego. Rarity’s obsession with fashion.” Sunset looked at Logan and Twilight. “And when you two got here, I was just so happy I wouldn’t have to solve this on my own… that I didn’t wonder if you had problems back where you came from. If Logan's grudge against the Princess wouldn't cause problems with one of her greatest students." Sunset bowed her head. "I didn’t say anything because I didn’t feel like it was my place. Not when I was still new to the whole ‘friendship’ thing.” She looked down at Logan. “I still have so much to learn. But I do know now that if you don’t work out even the smallest problems right at the start, the magic of friendship can be turned into something else.”

Twilight slumped next to Logan. “And I never realized all that was happening under our noses,” she whimpered.

“Not just their noses,” Logan confessed, looking at Twilight.

Twilight looked up at him to see him shivering.

“You were right,” he whispered.

Twilight looked up. “Huh?”

Logan rubbed his forehead. “Ever since what happened with Tirek… I feel… weaker.”

“Who?” Fluttershy asked, as the others grouped around him.

“A… monster,” Twilight explained for him. “He was stealing the magic from our land.”

“I thought I could stop him,” Logan admitted. “And I couldn’t. I lost…” he looked down at his arms, tension tightening his muscles as he tried to flare his lightning without success. “I lost my magic. And nothing felt worse. Not even when I took on a dragon, and he nearly killed me.”

Fluttershy gasped in horror.

“And part of it was because of Luco,” Logan added, a growl entering his throat. “What I said… I know you guys weren’t at fault, but you’re easily the first humans I’ve ever befriended, and even then, that’s only because you look and act like the friends I made in Equestria.” He gave a sad scoff. “You guys looked on us like we had all the answers. That we were saviors coming to make everything right; and I wanted to be that. I wanted to prove Tirek and Luco didn't break me."

"And I didn't want to let any of you down," Twilight added.

"But…” He shook his head and hid behind his arms. “But we don't have all the answers,” he finally admitted. “Heck, for all my experience? I never beat Luco. I couldn’t even beat the Sirens without help. And now that they’re working together?” He shook his head. "You guys kept looking at us like we had all the answers... and we don't."

Twilight covered her head with her hands. "But I wish we did," she added sadly.

The girls stared at him in horror. Logan bowed his head, wishing he didn’t have to see the hurt and fear in their eyes. Their terror at his display of weakness.

“But... come on, Logan,” Rainbow Dash sat closer to him. “You’ve done so much already.” She gripped his shoulder. “You’re the Lone Wolf of Equestria.”

He wasn’t moved.

“That’s the thing,” he admitted. “’The Lone Wolf dies, while the Pack survives.’ And, tell me this, Dash.” He looked at her. “Can you really say that you don’t have any doubts?”

Her silence was her answer. Logan nodded sadly and looked away. Carol, however, pulled herself up.

“’The Lone Wolf dies, while the Pack survives,” she said softly. She looked up. “But you’re not just a Lone Wolf,” she insisted. “You have a pack.”

Logan looked up as the others rose up as well.

"That's how you beat the Sirens before," Carol insisted. "And that's how you'll beat em again."

Sunset offered him a hand.

“It may not be a classic pack,” Sunset admitted. “But it’s gotta be better than going it alone.”

Logan smiled, and took her hand, letting her pull him up. He turned to Twilight, and knelt to her level.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “For what I said, and…”

“I’m sorry too,” Twilight said. “I guess I… never realized how much those feelings were affecting me until the Sirens brought them to light.” She looked him in the eye. “Celestia… means a lot to me. But, I can't force you to forgive her. Not for something like... that."

"Should we even...?" Rainbow Dash tried to ask, but Applejack waved her off.

"That topic is best left alone, sugar cube," Applejack replied, before grimacing. "And... I'm sorry for what I said."

As the Humane Five exchanged apologies, Logan nodded in understanding to Twilight's apology.

“And I understand your feelings for Celestia," Logan replied to Twilight. "Even if I can’t share them.” He offered his hand. “Can we still work together?”

Twilight chuckled, but took his hand. “It’s how we’ve gotten this far, right?” she said.

Logan nodded, and shook her hand before pulling her up. When he turned back to the others, his voice was gruffer. More confident. More assured.

“Alright, guys,” he declared. “No more moping. I may not have beaten Luco before… but that’s gonna change tonight.”

“That’s what I’m talking about,” Rainbow Dash cheered, as the others cheered in glee as well.

“So, how’s it gonna work?” Applejack asked.

Logan took the ear wax tub and started kneading more plugs. "First things first," he said, "We're not walking into another battle unprepared." As he kneaded, he turned his eyes towards Twilight. “Sparkle?” he asked. “Got any ideas?”

Twilight gazed in the direction of the school. “Well,” she noted. “With us out of the way, they’ll probably want to get Principal Celestia back under their control as soon as possible. They have to know that we freed them. Though, now that they have Luco with them…” she pondered before turning to Carol. “Has Luco always played fast and loose with sides? I mean… what does he get out of this?”

#

The soundof battle, wolf on man.

Anger, violence, clan on clan.

The roar of a crowd, to a victor’s cry!

That’s my lullaby!”

Luco ended his song with a bow to the Sirens. Adagio and Aria were watching, unimpressed, while Sonata looked up from a massive pile of soft tacos to give a thumb up.

Ignoring the miffed or confused looks of the other patrons, Luco rolled off the table, landing next to Sonata.

“So, what d’you think?” he offered. “I get you girls back to Equestria, and in exchange…” he picked a taco up off Sonata’s plate and tossed it. Sonata gave a brief mournful cry as Blazy caught it and ducked out of sight, before Luco handed her a replacement taco.

“You lot get the combatants in my future tournaments raring to go. You already specialize in getting negative emotions out there. It’s the perfect way to get friends fighting friends.”

“So, that was what that fight in the cafeteria was all about?” Adagio asked. “You just made them go from arguing to punching each other?”

“It’s not like those people don’t have a good reason to punch each other,” Aria noted. “Or get punched.”

“Plus, their emotions were so much spicier,” Sonata added, before pulling out another taco stuffed with habaneros. “Though, not as spicy as these babies.” She tossed it into her mouth with a smile. “So much better than emotions,” she crooned in awe. “I’m almost going to hate going back.”

“Oh, my sweet little cinnamon bun,” Luco assured her. “I’ll make sure you get to enjoy both sides of dieting.” He turned back to Adagio. “What do you think? Lots more space; people who adore you, a job that pays well, and all the emotions and tacos you can eat.”

Aria hummed. “It’s not a… bad offer,” Aria noted, but Adagio shoved Aria back.

“I’m the one that makes decisions around here,” Adagio insisted. “And I say that this world will adore us first! If we do go back to Equestria, it will be after the whole world is so dependent on us, that they come crawling after us, begging for us to come back.”

Luco raised his hands. “Okay,” he said. “I can tell that you’re trying to compensate for something.” He quirked an eyebrow. “I know for a fact it ain’t the hair,” he added with a laugh.

Adagio fumed at him, before rising up with a soft smirk.

“You’re a bold man, I’ll give you that,” she admitted.

“Adagio…” Aria, whined, but the leader stomped her foot, keeping Aria in her seat. Sonata sighed and focused on her food.

“But you’re a fool if you think I’ll barter and play second fiddle to a mere mortal,” Adagio growled.

Luco leaned back with a grin. “Mere mortal?” he asked, grabbing another taco and tossing it to Blazy, who stayed in sight this time, glowering at Adagio. “Now, I take offense to that.”

“Not for long,” Adagio promised, her gem beginning to glow. “Because soon… you’ll be under our spell…”