• Published 21st Oct 2019
  • 5,379 Views, 330 Comments

King: The Beginning - DanishDash



The big day is here, Celestia's son has been born! From moment Celestia laid eyes on her little Spero, she knew he would do great things. Follow him on adventures and as he grows up, find the answer to the question that still lingers. Who is his dad?

  • ...
13
 330
 5,379

Chapter 5

It was the topic of the officer's messhall, Swift Strike had skipped a rank and become the captain of the prince's life regiment. The regiment was at this point still small, but since they would build up their forces slowly along with the growth of the prince, Swift Strike took care to only appoint those he trusted, carefully vetting every single guard.

He needed them willing to do what was needed in securing the future king, making sure they were loyal and devoted to their duty. Of course he made sure they were not fanatics, but he needed to be sure of they could follow orders and carry them out without hesitation. For now, the regiment was barely a regiment, only 100 ponies strong, enough to be a company, but nothing more. For now, they were a regiment only in name.

This did not render them useless however, Swift Strike demanded the kind of skill only the Royal Guard would have, and if they did not have it, they would get it. Most of all he demanded loyalty, them being fewer meant he needed to keep the quality up, make sure they would be able to handle any sort of situation, which meant endless drilling and training.

Princess Luna had recommended him for this position, along with captain Shining Armor. Now he was the prince's captain, the captain of the future king if he lasted that long, and he intended to. He knew Princess Luna would want him to go beyond the line of duty, to go beyond even the rule of law, if it meant protecting the prince. Princess Celestia would not approve, not at all, but this was why he was chosen, he was prepared to take the fall and do what was needed, always.

"Captain."

A voice suddenly called to him. Swift Strike turned and came face to face with the former captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor. He saluted and then bowed his head.

"Your majesty."

Shining armor scoffed and then smirked. "Shut up, don't call me that, it's hard enough to get used to it back home. So don't you dare."

Swift Strike smirked as well and looked back out on the training field, watching his newly formed regiment train. "Sorry, guess i'm still getting used to you being a prince and all, not sure how I should address you."

"Well, in private I would like you to just relax, i'm not much for titles." He said and looked out on the newly formed regiment as well. "They are impressive."

"Going to be the best." Swift Strike replied. "Though I assume you are not here for them, so what do you want Shiny?"

Shining sighed, his old friend knowing his motives before he could even speak of them. "I came to.." He hesitated. "To tell you to be careful.. The princess has given you a longer leash than any other officer. You need to be able to control your, temper.."

Swift Strike scoffed. "I know what I am doing.."

"Swift, if I had not stepped in back then you would have killed him." He said firmly. "You were out of control."

"So why did you recommend me then? And what is this Yakshit about you writing a recommendation in my service record?" Swift Strike did not need to look at his old friend to know he was frowning. "Cut the crap, you wanted me here because of my willingness to break a few rules, and muzzles if need be." He turned to Shining with a serious look. "I'm doing the job you and the princess want's me to do."

Shining had no real argument, once again his friend showed his intelligence most ponies did not think he had. To most, he was a brute, a thug, it was like then during school too, ponies underestimating him because of his rough edges.

"Swift, that is not why I recommended you, but you are right.. I did write it up when I found out princess Celestia was pregnant.." He admitted.

"Then why?"

"Because you're clever." Shining said. "You're observant, your brutal streak did not play the biggest part in the decision making as you might think. Yes, you break rules, yes it is a vital part of it, but you know how to read ponies, despite not being a noble you are the best I know who can gather intelligence. Being a spy, gather information, being able and willing to act on it, those are the skills that got you this position."

Swift raised a brow. "And break some muzzles?"

Shining sighed, he could not deny that. "Yes, and that.."

"So you're fine with me being willing to take the fall if I do go to far, despite acting on the orders of the princess herself?" Swift smirked as he saw the uncomfortable look on Shining's face.

"It's not that I am fine with it, I just know we can trust you.." He said, a hint of shame touching his voice.

Swift rolled his eyes. "All for the crown Shiny, if protecting it means ponies like me must do bad things then so be it. We have enjoyed peace for so long, we both know it is not gonna last, i'm pretty sure the princesses realize it too, which means the future king must be protected. I'm willing to risk it all if it means we are ready for that day.."

Both of them grew silent, watching the guards who wanted to do what was needed. The common pony would never be able to understand it, which was why the crown could not be seen as being involved in this. It was sadly the way it had to be, it was just the reality of life. Some ponies needed to sacrifice in order for others to live their lives in peace and have the luxury to feel outraged about these sort of things.

"It's not fair, I'm sorry it had to be you.."

"Don't be." Swift said. "It's our job Shining, you and me knows that. We each have our part to play, I am simply playing mine, and trust me.." He looked to his friend. "I intend to bring fear into those who would hurt our prince..."

~~***~~

"Come on sweetie, you can do it." Celestia said encouragingly as her son tried to stand up and walk. He had attempted several times by now, getting closer and closer of making it.

It had been almost three weeks since his birth and he was finally getting strong enough to walk by himself. The nice summer weather was perfect for this little afternoon practice, here in the garden, under the apple tree and near the small pond. It was Celestia's favorite spot, a place to relax and be in private. She laid on the blanket, her back against the strong apple tree, looking to her son who kept struggling.

This was one of the moments she cherished most, just being here, alone with her foal. Here she could be Tia, not Celestia the princess, but simply a mother and a mare.

Spero kept standing up, refusing to stay down for very long, his wings fluttering each time in frustration whenever he failed. Celestia could not help but to giggle, his stubbornness and his refusal to get help was a mark of true royalty. Not only that, but it reminded her a lot of.... Him...

She quickly pushed the thought away, she was here, with their foal, no use on dwelling what could have been or on the why and how. Spero needed her to be there for him, she needed to give the love she knew his father would want.

He finally managed to stand, using all his willpower to do so as he started to take one step, then the next, and the next. Celestia beamed with pride, holding a hoof to her mouth in order not to squeal in delight and thus breaking her son's focus.

Instead, she sat up, holding out her hooves, gently cheering him on. "That's right, you are doing so great. Come to mommy, come on then."

Encouraged by his mother, Spero started to walk towards her, each step making him more confident. Celestia felt a tear running down her cheek as her little foal came closer and closer, then finally as he reached her she scooped him up and hugged him.

"That's it! You're such a big boy, mommy is so proud of you!" She held him up with her hooves, above her head. Spero giggled in delight as he by reflex spread his beautiful white wings. Even though he was only a few weeks old, he displayed such determination and curiosity for the world around him. Putting her lips to his tummy, she started to blow and giving a loving raspberry. Spero kept laughing and giggling as he squealed and moved all his limbs in attempt to escape his mother's assault.

She moved him down and hugged him once again, just enjoying the moment and the feeling of her son as he nuzzled himself into his mother's fur. Here they stayed for quite some time, simply enjoying the quiet relaxing garden, here, under the apple tree they could simply be a family.

~~***~~

Swift Strike moved down the hall of the barracks, all his belongings had been moved to his new quarters, since he was now a captain for a whole new regiment, it meant he was privileged to an apartment in the upper part of the barracks. He did not really care for such things, but it came with the rank, and it be a nice work space.

When he opened the door he was greeted with a large living room/office, with all the luxuries he needed. A door to the side led to a bathroom and the one next to it led to the bedroom. On the other side of the room was an open door leading to the kitchen, a nice place to cook and dine, but Swift had a feeling he would be ordering outside food a lot.

The most impressive thing however was the big wooden desk at the far end of the room, it faced towards him and had a chair behind it. Behind the chair was a nice big window from where he could see the parade grounds, typical officer home, here he could watch the common guards, all of which would be saluting him.

He stepped inside, closed the door and thought he could have a nice and quiet evening. Those hopes were dashed however as a voice from the couch spoke up. "So, you finally made it to captain?"

Swift sighed, first Shining now, her.. "I'm not in the mood Spitfire." He simply said and walked past the couch, ignoring her look as she sat up. She was wearing her blue common uniform, not the skintight flying suit that was, he had to admit, very pleasing to the eye.

"Gee, nice to see you too." She said and stood up to follow him. "What crawled up your butt?"

"I'm tired, so say your piece and go.. How did you get in here anyway?" Swift asked and placed his saddlebags on the desk.

"You be surprised how far a signed picture can get you." She smirked and trotted up beside him. "Relax, I just came to say congratulations, didn't think you had it in you."

Swift sighed and turned around to face her, though he hardly realized how close she was standing and so their noses almost touched. Yet, neither of them moved away from the other. "I thought you were to busy running the Wonderdorks to think of me anymore."

Spitfire made hurt expression, though he could tell it was fake. "Why, Swifty, if I didn't know better I say you are still pissed you can't join."

"Pfft." Swift Strike snorted. "Unlike you, I wanna serve and to be of use, not just on display."

"Is that a bad thing?" She said and pushed him a little, smirking. "You can't deny you have always liked what you saw." She winked at him before she turned around, letting her tail move up under his chin and then made a flick. She walked over to where a small cabinet with liqueur was put. "Anyway captain, I figured we could drink to your new position."

Swift sighed, trying his best not to blush as he felt Spitfire's tail move against him. "I am on duty tomorrow." He said, but it was a weak protest, one that Spitfire would ignore. She pulled out two glasses and some Flyby whiskey.

Spitfire let out a small whistle. "Flyby? You sure got the good stuff." She smirked before she put it all on the coffee table before she sat down.

Swift Strike was getting kind of annoyed, he knew her well enough to know like Shining, she hadn't just come for a social visit. For now however, he played along and sat down next to her as she poured the whiskey. They moved the glasses together and took a sip each, enjoying the burning sensation. "Buck.." Spitfire said satisfied.

"Spitfire, why are you really here?" Swift asked tired of playing this games with the both of them.

She sighed. "Fine, listen, I don't know what your pal Shining told you, but I am gonna say my piece." Her expression became serious. "I know you well enough to figure out you got this position because of your... Unique, skills.." She looked to his flank, his cutie mark had been burned away, there was no fur there, or a mark, simply scars. "Special talent.."

"So what's your point? Shining has already given me this speech." He grumbled.

"Just shut up you idiot." Spitfire snarled. "I came to tell you that I think you should back out, refuse the position."

"What? Why?" Swift Strike had not counted on hearing that when he saw her.

"Because of your special talents, don't you think you're going to be used? Being a secret enforcer? I'm pretty sure that's why you got the job." Spitfire said with a stern look. "I don't want you to be used like that, and knowing you, you are ready to take the fall if it ends badly."

At first, he really had no idea what to tell her. How did she know all this? Did she really know him that well? Then again, it was not like they didn't know each other VERY well. "It's my duty, I was fully informed what this position meant, I know the risks and i accept them."

This time Spitfire glared for real. "Don't be an idiot, you're just gonna throw your entire life away if you buck up? Swift, think about it, you be the scapegoat." His face and resolve remained unchanged, she then sighed. "You're an idiot.." Spitfire simply stated and took another sip of her drink.

"Sure, but I was told I was hired to keep the prince safe, I will do that the best way I can. I do what I feel is right, not matter what the consequences to my personal life... Or relationships.." He said bitterly and took another sip.

This earned him another glare from Spitfire. "That is not the same thing you arrogant asshat!" Putting the glass away she stood up on the couch and leaned closer to him, her angry eyes looking straight into his. "I followed my dreams, you knew what I wanted, you were the one who couldn't handle it!"

Now Swift Strike was glaring back at her, putting his own drink away and pushed his forehead into hers as they continued to glare at one another. "So when you applied and got accepted behind my back, that was all to surprise me was it?!"

"I did that because I knew how you would have reacted!"

"Yeah, so you dated me with the knowledge I would not be happy with you going away for months on end! Not happy with my marefriend being little more than a showmare!"

Her eyes lit up in anger. "You joined the army you prick! You never consulted me on that decision, what if you would have been called away on patrol duty, then you would have been the one away for months. Oh, but I guess that is not the same thing?!"

"I did it for my country, to serve! To be a part of something that REALLY matters!"

"The Wonderbolts matter, Swift, they matter to me!" She hopped down on the floor and turned to leave. "I should have known, you're still the most arrogant, hypocritical, self-loathing bastard you have always been. That's what this is really about Swift, you want to fall, you want to be punished, locked away or Celestia forbid, banished. You live in pain, that's when you are the most happy, when you're the one in pain." She started to walk towards the door.

Before she reached it however she noticed him coming up behind her, she glared, not in the mood for anymore of his bucking excuses and justifications. She turned around, her hoof swinging to punch his smug ass face. She felt him block the punch with his hoof.

Their eyes locked, both glaring at one another, both of them silent, until, he actually spoke the words she had not heard for years. "I love you.."

This took her aback. "W-what?"

"Yeah, you heard me." He kept his glare on her and he started to walk towards her, forcing Spitfire to back up. "You're the most beautiful, amazing, and annoying mare I have ever met." She kept glaring at him, but started to blush as he said all of that with such conviction, and she knew he was never one to say anything he didn't mean. "And I want you, right now."

She glared back him, her blush only growing, she would be lying if she didn't miss him, his strong body against hers. Still, he was the worst at flirting, really. "Is that how you ask a mare to bed you? Still so direct, no tact.. You're an idiot.."

Swift snorted. "Like you have never been direct and cut to the chase."

Sighing a little she shrugged. "Fair enough." She pushed against the door with her hind leg, moving her body quite forcefully into his, pressing her lips to his as they both fell down to the floor.

He rolled them around, grabbing her hooves and pinned her down to the floor with her hooves above her head. Their lips never parting for a moment as she struggled a bit beneath him. Moaning, she felt his strong body against her, holding her down as her own strong body fought against him.

Their lips parted as he started to move the kisses down her muzzle, then down her neck. She in the meantime managed to free her hooves and wrap them around his neck, pulling him closer as she stretched a bit, allowing him more access to her.

Finally, she had enough, pushed him hard so he would get off and then proceeded to jump him, her turn to be on top. She looked down at him while she started to loosen the black tie of her uniform. He in the meantime started to unbutton the blue jacket.

Smirking a bit, she tossed the tie to the side. "So tell me, captain. Still think i'm the most annoying mare you have ever met?"

Swift nodded. "Yes, you really are. Still think i'm a prick?"

"Oh yeah." She nodded, then smirked and leaned. Their lips met for a quick peck. "I also still think you're the biggest idiot I have ever met."

They both looked into each others eyes for a bit, then without another word, they moved in and continued the kiss, letting their desires drive them for the rest of the night.

Author's Note:

Yeah, so this chapter was more about Swift Strike and then a sweet moment with Celestia and Spero.

Tune in next time when we get closer to the rise of Tirek! :O