• Published 21st Oct 2019
  • 5,379 Views, 330 Comments

King: The Beginning - DanishDash



The big day is here, Celestia's son has been born! From moment Celestia laid eyes on her little Spero, she knew he would do great things. Follow him on adventures and as he grows up, find the answer to the question that still lingers. Who is his dad?

  • ...
13
 330
 5,379

Chapter 11

Author's Note:

We have now entered his foalhood era! New friends and adventures ahead!

Oh by the way, I found a plot hole in my story, but thankfully it is an easy fix. I know In the show Twilight and her friends were about 17. So if they have children already it means they got them at the latest at 18.

So to not make it to complicated I am just gonna say they were 27 when the show started.

I know, it's a cheap trick, sorry, I hope you can overlook the age logic. :scootangel:

Morning had arrived, Celestia stood out on her balcony, slowly raising the sun into the right position. Her graceful light bathed the land in her warmth and glory, and like always it was a beautiful sight to behold. Today was in particular important to her, because today, it was her son's birthday.

This day today it had been ten years since he came into this world, ten years since he came to this world and brought her the joy of motherhood. So that meant everything today had to be perfect!

The weather schedule was set to be a sunny day, with a few clouds to bring shade, but otherwise a nice sunny day. She had it all planned, out, but first things first, find her little sun prince and wake him up. It was one of the traditions she enjoyed, something that made her feel like just a mom and not a princess.

Her son would often make a mess in his room, toys scattered around, and even though they did have maids, she always wanted him to clean up his room by himself. Not dusting off, but picking up his toys and such. He never really complained, not more than any other young colt his age, so she simply found it amusing and happy she even got to experience things like this, even if it could be a frustration at times.

Celestia walked out of her suite, making her way down the grand hall of the palace wing reserved for them, and them only. Their suites were all located in the royal wing of the palace, though every bit of the palace was their home, this wing was strictly off limits to all who were not invited, which meant the royal family could be themselves and more relaxed in this part of the palace. Here they did not need to worry about some minister or noble who simply had to talk with them right this instant, no, here they could drop the crown, walk around in socks if they so wished, just relax and be off duty so to speak.

The wing housed the three suites of the royal family, Celestia's, Luna's and of course, Spero's. There was also a living room, dining room, two guest rooms and a small library and kitchen.

As she made her way down towards her son's room, she noticed her sister yawning as she too walked out from her room. "Good morning Lulu." Celestia greeted cheerfully.

Luna looked at her, smiling warmly, but still had tired eyes. "Good morning Tia.." She said and stretched just slightly.

"I thought you would have gone to bed already sister?" Celestia smirked, knowing full well she was still up to wish her son a happy birthday. Luna had quite the soft spot for her nephew, maybe it was because Spero had this habit of sneaking out whenever he could not sleep. He did not go far, just up on the roof of the royal wing.

Luna often found him there. They enjoyed chatting a little during those moments, watching the night sky she had created and flew a little around the palace, though not to far as he was still young and could not go for as long as a full grown Alicorn, yet.

"I would not miss wishing my nephew a happy birthday." She chuckled. "I am guessing you have a lot planned today?"

"Indeed. Other than the birthday breakfast I've planned and the greetings to the ponies of Canterlot, I was thinking taking him to Ponyville, he has not had an opportunity to go there since he was four." She smiled a little, hoping he might be able to go an explore without to much fuss. "Also later during the afternoon, Cadence and Shining Armor will arrive with Flurry Heart."

Luna chuckled amused that her sister, the picture of dignity and self control was almost squealing in excitement. "It seems you have everything planned out then, Tia. What about his lessons? Seeing his friends?"

"Oh, Brave Star and Alouette will be over later, I've made sure to invite them both over. Though I am sure Twilight will insist on giving them all a lesson today, I hope she won't make it to long though."

Celestia could not help but find it funny. Twilight, her most faithful student, had gotten a son. He was very much like Twilight in many ways, loved to read, skilled with magic despite his age. Celestia was happy their sons were able to bond so quickly when they first met.

To their little foal group was also Fleur's foal, a filly named Alouette. She looked as elegant as her mother, but had her father's mane color, she was sweet and very clever, that much was clear.

Last to their little group was Flurry Heart, Spero's cousin. She simply adored Spero, looking up to him and always happy to play with him whenever the family was together. Amusingly enough, Celestia had noticed a very tiny rivalry between Alouette and Flurry Heart, it was kind of adorable.

As they came to the door that led to the prince's room, Celestia noticed a new face. It was a young Pegasus guard, her stance was stiff, especially after noticing the princesses. Celestia thought for a moment, the guard seemed to holding her breath, but then noticed she was taking very small sips of air now and again.

"At ease corporal." Luna said calmly, and the guard did as asked and relaxed her stance a little. "Has the prince awoken yet?"

The mare shook her head. "Not that I know of, your majesty. It has been quiet ever since my shift."

Celestia held back a small chuckle, newly appointed guards to her son's security detail always had one small problem when they began their first shift. "Tell me corporal, this is your first time guarding my son's room, is it not?"

"Yes mam, it is." She confirmed with a sense of pride.

Her princess smiled warmly. "Well then, let us begin the first lesson." She used her magic, gently pushing it open in case she was wrong, but she quickly realized, she was not. Indeed, the big window was open and the big bed was empty. "My son has a habit of sneaking out."

The guard looked into the room in alarm. "But I, I heard nothing." She stammered perplexed.

"I'm afraid that is the reason we know he is not there." Luna replied, smirking a little that her nephew had managed to avoid his guard's attention. "If he was still sleeping you would be able to hear the faint sounds, yes?"

The guard thought for a moment. Yes, indeed, when her shift first started her ears had noticed the small breathing, it was a sound that was hard to hear, but she was trained to pick up such things. She had simply tuned it out though, she had not noticed it stopping, a newbie mistake Spero was no doubt aware of.

Her squad mates had probably found it funny not to make her aware of Spero's escape tricks, probably to have a little fun and bid the newly promoted corporal welcome to the squad.

"Well, let us make haste to find the prince, shall we? I would not want him to be late for breakfast." Celestia said equally as amused as Luna, even though it was wrong of Spero to sneak out on his guard like that, but it was still a little funny.

"Y-yes mam, right away!" The young guard replied hastily and saluted before she sped off.

~~***~~

Normally he would wake up early, though today he had the morning off. His marefriend needed him at home, but with her mother moving in he was glad to finally go back to work. He looked himself in the mirror, same image as always. A dark grey Pegasus, scars across his face, a hole where his left eye should be.

Swift Strike sighed, he could see Spitfire on their bed, her stomach having grown larger little by little. It was not because she was getting fat, but because she was pregnant. It had come as a shock to the two of them, none of them had counted on it, even though they had plenty of sex.

The princesses had been delighted over the news, insisting that both Swift Strike and Spitfire took a long needed vacation, which was fine and all, though, it also made him think. He was the captain of the life guard, it had grown to almost 1.000 ponies, which meant he was due for promotion to commander and Hazel to the new captain.

It was a more of a secure position, one that Spitfire wanted him to accept, but.. It would mean Hazel would take over his network of spies, an issue he had not yet discussed with her or with Princess Luna. There had to be a solution to that, he did not want Hazel to be a part of that.

That just left the final problem..

He was going to be a father, and if he was the spy master, it would mean he would be at risk of having to take any fall that might be required, which meant his foal would not have their father around. Could he risk that?

To be honest, he didn't know anymore...

Spitfire and him had only gotten officially back together once she was stationed as the Wonderbolt Academy commander. It meant she would would have a permanent position, a good position that meant she did not need to travel around anymore, which meant she could be there to raise their foal.

She would want him to step down, take the promotion as commander and be a stable pillar in the family they would create. He hated the fact he could not give her a yes right away, tell her he agreed and yes, he would take the position and become the father their foal deserved. Swift simply could not, he felt bound to his job, like it was his calling, his sacred duty to keep the prince safe.

He would need to figure this out, for both of them, he owed them that much.

Looking down on the small table, he sat down and picked up a very fine eye patch. It was black, was pretty simple, only, that in front in the very fine symbols was three small blue crystals. They stuck out a little, but sort of worked like three new eyes to compensate for the one he was missing.

The gift, other than the large bonus and the medal, was the reward Celestia and Luna had granted him. Once put on, the crystals connected with his magical signature, giving him a new perspective of the world around him.

Now, he could not only see like before, but he could see the magical signature of every pony he was close to, even at times seeing their heat signature. This would help him see past illusions, even see through a changeling disguise and help him deduce certain things from the information he got from his new eyes.

It also made him more aware of the room, being able to see in a sort of weird new way, like he could see behind him without actually looking behind. He could simply read the magical signature and sort of see them mentally, it was hard to explain, and truth be told he was still getting used to it.

Letting out a small sigh, he placed it over his missing left eye and tied it in place. Already he felt the magic move through him, sensing everything in the room and even a little beyond. Without looking at Spitfire he could see her magical signature, sense her presence and the one growing inside of her.

He smiled a bit, turning over to the bed and trotted over, Swift made sure not to make to much noise as he did not want to wake her up. He came close and leaned down and kissed her cheek. Before he could move away however, she placed a hoof on the top of his head.

"Kiss me like you mean it you dork.." She mumbled, sounding like she was still sleeping.

"You should sleep." Swift whispered before leaning in and kissed her softly.

"Mmmh~." She enjoyed the kiss, letting their lips message one another for a bit before they pulled away. "I'm not going to see you for hours.." She said and opened them. "So I want to make sure you know that despite being an idiot, you're my idiot."

"Thanks." He smirked and kissed her again. "I'll see you this evening."

"Mhmm.. Give my best to the birthday prince." She mumbled and closed her eyes yet again.

"I will."

~~***~~

The morning wind felt so nice, when his mother's sun warmed the air just right and bathed the city in it's light, that was the best time for a morning flight. Spero loved to fly, the feeling of the air moving through his white feathered wings, it was pure freedom.

Unfortunately he could not go very far, he had to stay within the borders of the palace walls, which sucked, big time. He'd never understood why his mother made such a big fuss over having a guard, not that he minded most of the time, but, Equestria was one of the safest places in the entire world. Even the city, the most secure location in the kingdom, so why did he have to stay here?!

He landed on the roof of one of the many towers of the palace, looking over the valleys, seeing the long river cutting it's way through the landscape like a snake. The rising sun made it sparkle and reflect the yellowish light, making it look like a river made up of pure crystal. This was the land his mother and aunt watched over, this was his home and the kingdom he would one day watch over and protect, just like his mother.

Taking a deep breath, puffing out his chest a little, he felt a small sense of pride in knowing his family had been a vital part in keeping all of this safe. Not to mention some of his own teachers had been great heroes, defending the kingdom against villains like Discord, Chrysalis, Nightmare Moon, king Sombra. They've even reformed the changelings! King Thorax was a great ally and he was always fun at whatever galas there was at the palace. Spero loved seeing him transform, it was the best way of playing pranks!

Yes, this was his kingdom, his subjects, and he would protect them from all evil! Just like his mother and aunt, just like the heroes of old and of course one cannot forget, the element bearers! He was gonna be a gallant king, a hero of justice, and the bravest of-

"Hey watcha doing up here?!"

"AAHH!!"

SMACK!

"OW!"

Spero was so startled that he turned with around with such speed that he forgot he stood right next to a flagpole and banged his head into it.

"Oooh, that's got to hurt.. Are you okay?"

Spero laid on his back, holding a hoof to his head, feeling the stomping pain move through his head like a sledgehammer. As it vanished little by little and he heard the mare's voice again he slowly opened his eyes again, only to be met by a pair of big green eyes.

It took him a second to figure out what was going on, but soon enough he saw it was a young Pegasus filly, hovering above him as she examined him with a small smirk. She had a light blue coat and a rainbow colored mane and tail, funny, just like his flying instructor, Captain Rainbow Dash.

"Hellooooo? You in there your royal princely highness?"

She tapped his head with her hoof, though he quickly swatted it away. "Yeah, i'm here!"

"Oh good! For a second I'd thought you might be hurt." She smiled satisfied and landed down on the roof just as Spero started to sit up, still rubbing his hoof against the sore spot on his head.

"Who are you? I've not seen you here before.." He said and finally stood up on all four hooves.

"Me? Oh, I just wandered away from my guide, it's my first time here." She grinned mischievously. "Saw you flying around, figured I've come join you, see if you're as fast as I've heard." A note of challenge was in her tone now, her eyes narrowed and her grin widened.

Spero could not help but grin back. "What's your name?"

"For now you can call me Dawn, if you beat me then I tell you my full name~." She said like it was some great reward. Though Spero was more than happy to accept that challenge. Dawn looked around for a bit and then nodded to herself. "Alright, let's go one time around the palace and back here?"

"Sure, ready?"

"Set."

"GO!"

"GO!"

Both foals ran to the edge of the rooftop and leaped into the air, spreading their wings and started to speed off. The Light blue filly laughed as they both picked up speed, turning as they followed the walls of the palace. She was certainly confident in herself and her flying, but Spero could see it wasn't entirely without merit.

He gave his wings some more powerful flaps and started to get ahead, but it was only for a short time. The filly flew above Spero and then dived right in front of him, glancing back at the young prince once to stick her tongue out teasingly before she left him in her cloud trail.

Or so she thought.

Spero was far from done with her yet, he quickly moved up the, down again. gaining some speed with a little help from gravity. This time it was his turn to dive in front of her! "H-Hey!"

The filly called, pouting, but he could see it was just in good fun. They flew side by side, fighting to get ahead of the other. Spero was not sure when this was, but at some point they had stopped looking ahead and had started to glance at each other, both grinning and held challenge in their eyes.

Almost by chance, Dawn looked ahead, just for a second, but it was enough to make her eyes widen. Spero looked ahead as well, just in time to see they were speeding towards one of the towers. Her turned, moving his hooves to push Dawn out of the way, only to be met by her hooves.

She had gotten the same idea, so instead of pushing just one out of the way, they smirked and pushed each other out of the way. They just barely managed to miss the tower that now passed between them, but they did it!

When they met on the other side, they laughed and flew around one another. It quickly became less and less of a race and more playful tricks in the air around one another. Soon enough they landed back on the roof, both of them still laughing. "That was so awesome!" Dawn screamed in excitement. "I was all like, 'oh no!' And you were like, 'buck!"

"Then we both were like, awesome! And pushed each other out of the way!" Spero agreed and the two foals jumped around still feeling the excitement rushing through them. "That was so cool!" He laughed, but then found it strange as he suddenly noticed he was the only one laughing now. "Hehe.. Dawn?" He opened his eyes to look at her, she was sitting on her rump, her ears down, looking nervously at the roof they were standing on. "Dawn what's wro-"

"Ahem.."

Spero froze, then slowly turned his head to look behind him. There, looking very, VERY angry stood Rainbow Dash, captain of the Wonderbolt Rapid Responds Team.

Spero quickly turned around so he stood next to Dawn."Oh, uhm, hey capta-"

"Hey mom.."

Dawn cut in before Spero could even begin to explain. Though it was what she said that made Spero's eyes go wide in shock! He looked at Dawn, then back at Rainbow Dash, then back at Dawn again.

"Oh.. That explains a lot.." He looked back at Rainbow Dash. "Uhm, we're sorry?" Judging by Rainbow's expression he could tell that unlike them, his weak apology was not gonna fly here.

~~***~~

Well, if there was one thing that was worse than Twilight's insane amount of homework, then it was the disapproving look of his mother. Celestia stood beside her sister Luna, looking down on the two foals that both had their heads low and their ears back.

Rainbow stood right behind her daughter, holding a stern look of disapproval as well. Though she let the princess handle the talking, because it would pale in comparison on the talk she was gonna give Dawn later when they got home.

"Spero, one thing is you go out early and sneak out on a guard, but another one is you flying recklessly around the palace. Both of you could have gotten hurt making that crazy stunt." She said calmly, but still firmly as only a mother could.

Spero knew better than to try and argue with his mother. "I'm sorry mom... We did not plan on it, honest, we just, you know, wanted to race.." He didn't want to make it sound so bad, and he would not argue if she wanted to ground him, but it seemed today was his lucky day.

"Since it is your birthday, I let it slide just this once." Celestia said, a small smile slowly appearing on his mother's face, which meant he was safe, at least for now.

"Oh it's your birthday?"

WHACK!

"Ow! What was that for?!"

Dawn asked, but was quickly silenced when Rainbow Dash gave her a small whack on top of her head, nothing hard, but enough to get through to her stubborn daughter.

"You're still in trouble young lady." Rainbow said firmly, giving Dawn a stern look that quickly made Dawn frown and look down once again. "Sneaking away from me when I told you to stay close and NOT wander off on your own. Flying up to the towers and doing a dangerous race with the prince that almost got you both injured."

There was silence for what seemed like a full minute, but then Celestia's warm voice broke it. "Now now, I think both of them understand the seriousness of it, and I think they both will remember to be more careful in the future." She raised an eyebrow at them both. "Right?" Both foals quickly looked up and nodded. "Then I see no reason to let this ruin our day."

Rainbow sighed. "If you say so princess.. Though we are still going to involve your father." Dawn groaned, but did not protest.

"Though you did miss breakfast, Spero." Celestia continued. "So why don't you take Dawn with you to your room and I have something sent up, for you both."

Both of the foals smiled. "Thanks mom! Come on Dawn!" Both of them ran out, leaving the adults to themselves.

Luna chuckled a bit at them and then looked at the two mothers who also seemed amused. "So, who won?"

"I'm pretty sure if they had stayed focused on the race... My girl would have won, no doubt." Rainbow grinned and sent Celestia a teasing look.

Celestia held her head high, but could not hide her smirk. "I am confident my son would have left your daughter in the clouds if he wasn't such a young gentlecolt." Both of them started to laugh a little, having sort of expected this ever since Dawn came into the world.

~~***~~

"Wooow, it's so big." Dawn said, her eyes wide with wonder as she looked at the splendor of the palace.

Spero grinned a little. "It's just a hallway, come on, my room is this way." They walked for a bit, passing a guard or a servant now and again. "So, you never told me your name?"

"You didn't win." Dawn smirked.

"I didn't loose either." Spero shot back.

Dawn giggled a little and shook her head. "Okay, that's fair.. Well it's... Rainbow Dawn." She looked a bit nervous, blushing a little as she suddenly seemed more interested int he floor than their conversation. "But just call me Dawn, okay?"

"Uhm, sure." Spero agreed. "You don't like being called Rainbow?"

"Well.." She looked ahead again, smiling a little. "My mom is awesome, she's the fastest flyer in Equestria!" She said that with so much pride, just like the kind he had for his mom and her roots. "Though.." She frowned a little. "I don't want ponies to compare me to her all the time.. I like my name, and I love my mom, but until I beat her, I just want to go by Dawn."

"When you beat her?"

She smirked and looked at him with the same confidence she showed when they raced. "One day, I will beat her in a race, then I'll be the fastest pony in Equestria, then.. Then..." She trailed off a little. "Anyway.." She clearly did not want to speak more of the subject, certainly not to a colt she'd just met, and he could understand that.

Thankfully they came to the door of his room, giving them a new topic of conversation. "This is my room."

"Looks like a door." She replied with a grin.

"Oh, haha, yea, the door to my room then." He smirked and used his magic to open it. As soon as it was opened however they were met with two foals inside yelling out a greeting.

"Happy Birthday Spero!"

"Happy Birthday Spero!"

Both of the foals stepped back, a little startled, but the colt and filly simply smiled. Spero then laughed a bit. "Hey guys! I thought you would come by later!"

"We were!" Brave Star, Twilight's son, laughed and adjusted his glasses. "But princess Celestia had sent a letter to my mom, saying it was okay if we came earlier."

"It was the same for my mother." The filly, named Alouette, replied. She then noticed a second filly standing outside the room. "Oh? Who's this?"

"Brave Star?" Dawn asked and walked in.

"Dawn?" Both the foals seemed surprised to see one another. "What are you doing here?"

"Thanks a lot, I snuck in if you must know." She said almost proudly.

"She came with her mother and then wandered off." Spero corrected.

"Hey!"

"I didn't know you two knew each other." Spero said and looked at the two of them. Then again it made perfect sense, Twilight and Rainbow Dash were both friends and heroes of Equestria, so of course they knew each other.

"We see each other from time to time when our moms come together." Brave Star explained. "Though it is not very often."

"I had no idea you knew Spero, why didn't my mom introduce us!" Dawn groaned and stomped her hoof on the floor.

"Perhaps because she thought you did not have the right... Etiquette?" Alouette suggested, not meaning it in a mean way, but she could not help but smile slightly.

"What was that?!" Dawn asked and looked at her.

"Wow wow, easy!" Spero said and hurried over to Dawn. "It's okay, Alouette did not mean you didn't have manners or anything, but.. Uhm.. What did you mean Alouette?"

Brave Star facehoofed. Alouette however quickly continued. "Oh, forgive me, I did not mean to say that, I just thought you seem like the type who liked more wild things, maybe your mother thought you might not like hanging out here in the palace?"

"What?! There's free food and I get to hang out in these fancy rooms." Dawn smirked and walked around the big bed room, checking out some of the toys, the enchanted ceiling that made it look like the sky. "This is such a cool room!"

Spero could not help but to smile. "Thanks, my mom and my aunt designed it themselves. At least that's what I've been told." He said and noticed the small table filled with some breakfast, for all of them. Seemed like his mother was a step ahead of everything, like always. If she was not the princess of Equestria he would think she was a witch.

It seemed the day was going to be quite interesting, first he met a new friend, then later he would go to Ponyville, who knew what the rest of his day had in store for him?