• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 2,495 Views, 69 Comments

A Lady Fit for Royalty - Fillyfoolish



Ever since Rarity knew she was a filly, she knew what it meant to be a lady. Her prince would sweep her off her hooves any moment now, if only she were a little more lady-like. That's what she tells Twilight, anyhow.

  • ...
8
 69
 2,495

Epilogue

Dearest Princess Twilight,

I write to inform you of a high crime committed against me: grand theft of a priceless payload. A thief, I insist, stole my heart. If you seek further proof, I have painstakingly enumerated the evidence against this deranged criminal.

First, the suspect: a young alicorn mare with a heart-melting smile, dreamy giggle, and a phenomenal taste in friends. This mystery mare entered my life the better part of a decade ago – no doubt plotting her crime from our friendship’s inception – and a few weeks ago delivered a kiss on my lips in my own home.

I did nothing to warrant such a kiss, but coming from lips like that, I burned to kiss her back – evidence that her amorous corruption of my sense of judgement had completed. Thus I add corruption and conspiracy to the charges I press against her. Preferably in bed, speaking of what I would like to press against her.

Truly, this mare must be punished for daring to interrupt my single life of self-loathing, sexual repression, and romance novels. I managed just fine before she had the audacity to question my internalized bigotry and the allure to force me to answer.

Indeed, this cunning, beautiful, intelligent, adorable, and frankly magical mare is now convinced she is my marefriend, mostly because I told her as much after kissing her right before we made love. She deserves to punished for a crime so heinous, ideally with a fine of no fewer than five dozen kisses, which I am willing to administer per my civic duty.

I also humbly request that she bring me hoof-in-hoof to the snootiest Canterlot socialite ball she can find, if only to ensure her punishment serves as a deterrent to the population, a warning that no matter how much disdain they might feel towards ponies of different inclinations, self-acceptance is beautiful and love will prevail. Ideally – to ensure the punishment is maximized – she would be put in the humiliating position of telling my former idols that the Princess of Friendship is bisexual and dating a mare.

Do make sure you really enunciate the “mare”, really get some m’s in there. Then you can mention I’m trans, and if they have problem with trans ponies, they’ll have to deal with you.

I mean her, of course.

I contend this mare is one of the finest I have ever laid eyes on, and one of the warmest I’ve had the privilege to befriend, not to mention the prettiest I’ve dated. Also the only one, but none of those scoundrels need to know that.

In fact, she is such a charmer that you may feel ill-equipped to punish her adequately. If so, I insist the matter be escalated to Princess Cadence – neigh, the Royal Sisters themselves must intervene to catch this bandit. Preferably by sending embarrassing photos from her fillyhood. (My return label is attached for your convenience.)

I implore you to rectify this situation at once, Princess. I have every confidence in your success.

Love,

Rarity Belle Sparkle

P.S. I bought handcuffs like you asked, darling. Are we still on for 9pm at my place?

Comments ( 22 )

This was a cute read, very nice. :raritystarry:

Though, it might be because I haven't read the first half in a while, but how, exactly, is Rarity Trans?

10285051
Thank you for reading!

It's possible I should have made it more clear in the first half - this was my first venture into longer stories and I'm still getting the hang of structuring/pacing/etc - but it was indicated obliquely throughout, e.g. "If only I had been born with fabric instead of a sewing needle, if only. What simplicity that would bring – to be accepted as a lady for simply existing, never having to prove myself." from Love Sickness. "Passing as a cis mare" from Hangover (part I - should be one chapter but I digress).

The overarching idea was "Rarity is trans; Twilight is not. Rarity transitioned young and blends into prejudiced Canterlot society but internalized strict heternormative ideas of ladyhood, afraid if she were not a perfect lady in the eyes of high society she would lose her social status. Twilight's a princess and can do what she wants. Rarity is gay but doesn't tell anyone because she is afraid and somewhat in denial; Twilight is bi but doesn't realize until now because she's as dense as her volume divided by her mass. Rarity is a hopeless romantic of the group; Twilight relies on Rarity for boyfriend advice. Which is a real pickle when Rarity has her own lavender feelings to work through... and a laundry list of internalized *phobias to overcome."

All of the above should be there but maybe doesn't shine thru as well as I would've liked. Oh well; I'm more happy to hit Complete than anything at this point tbh.

10285111

Rarity transitioned young

Ah, that was the only thing I had missed then. Thank you for the clarification. It was a lovely story that I enjoyed thoroughly.

10285118
Thank you! The out-of-universe bit is esentially all the trans stories on the site are *about* coming out and transition. I wanted to write a story with a trans protagonist dealing with the issues that can persist even if you pass.

10285123
Well, it was a good story, despite me missing that detail. I thought it was more about coming out as homosexual, with a dash of social class stigma. In either case, you captured that feeling well, of being unfairly ostracized by the thing you want to be most.

An interesting look inside the mind of a Rarity. Thank you for sharing it with us.

10285297
Thank you for reading!

Comment posted by Fillyfoolish deleted Jun 15th, 2020

Fantastic job with this story! Glad things worked out in the end.

Your frantic and meandering narration does a great job getting us in Rarity's head as she struggles against her immense nerves and self-hatred. It really doesn't help for Rarity's nerves that Twilight is pretty thick when it comes to love. Yes, Rarity was definitely talking about Pinkie Pie that entire time, Twilight.

I was surprised to see that Twilight already knew that Rarity was trans. From how Rarity treated that fact, I figured she kept that a secret from everyone.

Also,

I write to inform you of a high crime committed against me: grand theft of a priceless payload. A thief, I insist, stole my heart.

(God, this is way before your time, isn't it?)

Very lovely stuff, Filly. Rarity had gorgeous narration and her problems were conveyed in a way that made them authentic to who she was. I can’t remember the last time a story on the site dealt with internalized issues in this way. It’s good to see that remedied.

The sequel hook is also very nice.

10285667
Thank you!

I mean... as I was writing this I was assuming the { M6, Sweetie Belle, parents } knew but nobody else did. It seems sort of implausible that she would get to this point with Twilight and not have told her, but I admit it's not at all indicated in this drift. (Originally the story *started* with a coming out scene but that was deleted as you might recall for being boring exposition.)

And... yes, probably is.


10285704
Thank you!

The sequel is your favourite of https://www.fimfiction.net/user/251940/Frost+Flower/stories :duck:

Goddess, but you really can write Rarity. It's over the top in the best. Possible. Way, if you'll pardon the cliché. And a trans character to boot! Not a cliché, trite caricature of one either, but one struggling with someone that easily could've been ripped from my own life. This was truly a joy.

I don't always make my way back to this fandom, but for pieces like this I'm glad I still check my feed. From a filly who would've been asleep a while ago if not for this, thank you so much for sharing.

10293439
Thank you truly for the kind words.

I love this, thanks for writing it.

10301225
no NO! this dosnt end here, cuffs have be bought the stories just picking up

they are just sooooooooo cute
Thank you for writing this story, it's great

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

This story does so many things well, and with deep thought, that so many others take for granted or accomplish offhand. So few put in the hard effort like this, when the rewards are so innumerable!

Phenominal story! I loved it all the way through. Your narration as Rarity is a real treat and wonderfully done.

11602737
What a lovely comment to wake up to! Thank you very much :raritywink:

Login or register to comment