• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 2,498 Views, 69 Comments

A Lady Fit for Royalty - Fillyfoolish



Ever since Rarity knew she was a filly, she knew what it meant to be a lady. Her prince would sweep her off her hooves any moment now, if only she were a little more lady-like. That's what she tells Twilight, anyhow.

  • ...
8
 69
 2,498

The Love Hangover

A purple alicorn stood over a grassy field in front of me, glowing a stunning pinkish aura well-complemented by the cerulean ambiance. She bore a delicate haute cauture dress with multicolour jewels embroidered on a subtle violet fabric, a colour palette blending well with her glow. She outstretched her wings regally, a silly smile painted over her lips in adorable contrast with the royalty she exuded. She was picturesque, and with a natural beauty surpassing that of the dress and sky alike, she was the paragon of pure-hearted poetry through my heart and through my eyes.

She gazed at me fondly, catching me off-guard with the infinities of two purple misty eyes, focal points of her painting and protagonists of her epic poem. Entranced by the breathtaking sight, I leaned forward on instinct, compelled to close the gap between myself and the most exquisite mare in Equestria.

We each outstretched a forehoof, wrapping our hooves together in a pretzel of romantic affection. I beamed, acutely aware of the warmth of her hoof, a special somepony eveloping me in love.

Staring longingly at me, the mare said, “I love you, Rarity. You’re my best friend in the world, and as a scientist, there is so much I wish to discover about you. But for now, one question would suffice. I would to like to know…” She trailed off, lost in my enchantment as much as I was in her hers. She squeezed my hoof, the jolt of pressure surging through my body and bouncing off the walls of my tummy like fireworks. I squeezed back, mischeviously hopeful my return of the gesture would return the effect. Judging by her subtle frozen shiver, it did.

She closed her eyes and inhaled. After a meditative pause, she returned her beautiful eyes to their rightful owner, moi, and though she ensured our shared touch was unbroken, she knelt down to ask the six words for which I have waited for a stallion since I was a filly. Time slowed to a halt, then sped in the wrong direction, leaving me woosy in the backwards time travel of my heart as she asked the question of my dreams.

She squeezed, tears welling. “Rarity Belle, will you marry me?”

“Yes!” I cried, overwhelmed by the moment. “Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!”

Twilight beamed at me, her breath robbed by my answer. I did worry, perhaps there were not enough “yes”s in my response to adequately satisfy my love for her. But yes, a million times over, only for Princess Twilight Sparkle. “Yes.” I cooed, “Dearest Twilight, I love you so much.”

“I love you, too, Rarity!.”

I raised my eyebrows suggestively and proclaimed, “I love you more!” I leaned in and kissed her, finding myself torn between screaming in excitement and happiness-turned-tears.

“Rarity!” she exclaimed, scrunching up her features adorably to reveal a cute hint of dimples on the outlines of her cheeks. Teasing aggravation in her voice but nothing but bliss in her physique, she chided, “Not everything’s a competition!”

“Ah?” I pressed my muzzle against hers and giggled as the snout-to-snout contact lit her cheeks aflame, her eyebrows curled up peacefully. “You’re not just saying that because, deep down–” I smirked with lips almost touching hers– “You know I’m winning?

“Rarity, I–” Her words were cut-off by a kiss covering her lips. “Mmf!”

She faded into black along with the atmosphere, soon replaced by tens and hundreds and thousands of copies of Princess Twilight Sparkle, all love-struck with smiles reserved to me in every corner of my vision. Inundated by her multiplying presence, I was overwhelmed by the desire to kiss each and everyone a million times until…


I woke up, grinning like a filly, finding myself clutching my pillow in my hooves and pressing it up against my chest as I lay under a sloppy set of sheets, keeping my eyes scrunched for one more minute before dawn would sweep me away.

The last few moments of the dream played back in my memory, and I absentmindedly squeezed the pillow tighter, absorbed in my memories and momentarily unaware of cuddling with an inanimate object. Ah, what wonderful memories they were, whether real or imaginary hardly mattered at the hour. Twilight Sparkle, smiling like a filly. Or was I the smiling one? No, it must have been both of us. Just happy-go-lucky Rarity centimeters away from an overjoyed Twilight.

Twilight. It was always her, wasn’t it? Now, now, I do believe my dreams reflect my innermost wishes and wants, worries and fears. As such, despite the previous night’s wonderful skirmish with the imaginary friends of my mind’s design, I choose to believe – by faith and faith alone – that I do have dreams involving ponies other than Twilight Sparkle.

Admittedly I cannot remember any, but I’m sure they must be there! What kind of a pony only dreams about a single one of her friends, and Twilight Sparkle of all ponies?

A pony with an unbridled love for Twilight Sparkle, that’s who.

Um. Right. Um. Ladyhood. Heterosexuality if not by truth by force. Canterlot norms. Passing as a cis mare and leaving deep stealth. Not falling in love with my platonic friends.

Let me, ahem, clarify. What kind of pony only dreams of one mare due to her itsy bitsy filly crush on a certain Sparkle, Twilight?

A pony who by no stretch of the imagination could be me, for I was a lady. Perfectly conformant to the sacred institution of ladyhood that patterned my life and dominated my thoughts.

I was a lady, at least until my memories from the night prior slowly played back within me. Amid the recalled emotional turmoil I recognized a soft breathing unsynchronized against my own, halting my breathing at the recollection of one last memory.

Biting my lip, I peeped my eyes open and sure enough beside me, the “pillow” cuddled between my forehooves was in fact the most beautiful sleeping bit of lavender I had ever laid eyes on. Not that I have laid my eyes on terribly many beautiful sleeping mares, but I’m sure if I had, she would be the most the beautiful.

My beautiful just-got-dumped female best friend who I definitely didn’t have the slightest tinge of crush on, alone with me, wrapped in my hooves, snoozing in my bed.

Oh, ponyfeathers.