• Published 9th Nov 2019
  • 527 Views, 8 Comments

TITANIC SINKING IN REAL TIME THE FULL NOVEL - Sunny Meadows



Amber Spark takes a trip abroad on The Titanic to be by her dying Husband's side. Fate however, has something else in mind for she and her young daughter Evening Breeze.

  • ...
5
 8
 527

CHAPTER 6 EVENING BREEZE BRAKES THE RULES FOR LOVE

My Mother had been twenty-six when the Titanic sank, by the time I reached that age myself, I met the future Father of my daughter.

One of the main rules that was established after we became Merponies was that I could never go above sea level again. I disobeyed this rule and it changed my future forever.

One day I told my Mum I’d be back soon after hunting for fish for our dinner. Our stocks were running low and this was one of my chores. It was a big haul and it wasn’t unusual for me to be gone for day on end. I told her not to expect me back for at least ten days or so.

I justified this lie by reminding myself that we did indeed need some more fish but if I’m completely honest, I had ulterior motives for this outing.

“That’s a good idea Evening Breeze,” my Mother coughed. “I so appreciate you going on these food runs. I’m getting much too old for such chores. Go and bring us back as much fish as you can.”

“You know Mum, remember when I said that I hated fish?”

“Yes, I recall it was never your favourite.”

“Well, ever since I became a merpony I’ve been loving it. Sorry I ever doubted you about that. You were right all along. Fish are delicious.”

“Oh! Thank you Evening Breeze!” she said in surprise.

Her body shook as she was caught up in another coughing fit.

“I’ll be back after ten days. Now just lie down and rest,” I instructed her.

“Thanks Evening Breeze.”

“A good meal will do wonders for your health. Hopefully it will help with that nasty cough of yours.”

“I just hope you make it back before it’s too late. I really don’t feel good at all,” my mother said tiredly.

“Oh no Mum,” I replied, feeling concerned. “I’ll do my best to be back swiftly – maybe even a day or two earlier.”

My Mother wished me well on my journey and drifted off to sleep. I swam away to the sound of her snoring softly.

After I was far enough away, I started to swim up instead of across. I cast a spell to change my tail back to hind legs and I teleported myself to the shores of a sandy beach.

“Ahh…it’s good to be a pony again,” I said quietly. I had taught myself this spell in secret but had made it so that it would only last for nine days. I knew how strong the temptation would be to permanently remain on the land and I didn’t want to get so caught up in being a pony again that I forgot my cherished Mother.

She would never survive if left alone. I had calculated that any more than ten days alone would be risky in regards to my Mother’s health. Nine days means that I’ll be sure to make it back to her on time.

As I walked along the beach I realised I wasn’t alone. A beautiful Stallion was trotting along the coastline. Not yet being used to having four legs again, I accidently bumped into him.

“Oh! Oops…sorry,” I said bashfully.

“Hee hee, that’s alright,” the stallion replied kindly.

My necklace had fallen off my neck and lay upon the sand. As I bent down to retrieve it the stallion got to it at the same time. Our hooves touched one another. We giggled over the shared moment and looked at one another’s faces.

“I guess this now makes us friends,” he said flirtatiously.
“I guess it does,” I replied back happily.

The stallion laughed and smiled. He told me of a small and warm pool of water that was a little further along the beach. I agreed to go with him for a while.

What followed was a nine day love affair that was unlike anything I had ever experienced before. We laughed, we cried, we stayed up late talking every night. The two of us soon fell deeply in love. I held back however when it came to truth about who I really was.

My Mother would be devastated if I ever revealed our secret and I would never betray her like that.

On the eighth night, my stallion took me to his favourite restaurant. Having been so caught up in our love affair, I had spent my whole time focusing on myself. As I tucked into a delicious lobster, it occurred to me how much my Mother would love such a delicacy. Feeling panicked, I quickly counted up the days in my head and realised that tomorrow I must return to the sea.

“My stallion,” I said with a tremble in my voice. “I’m afraid that this will have to be our last night together.”

“But why?” he said in surprise, a hurt look flashing across his face.

“There’s just somewhere else I have to be,” I said regretfully.
My next words almost got stuck in my throat.

“I’m sorry to say that we will probably never get to see each other again.”

“But I don’t understand! Are you unwell?”

“No…no…it’s nothing like that. I just have ponies that need me…I have to return to my home.”

The stallion looked appalled and his next question almost broke my heart.

“Are you married?” he spluttered out.

“Oh no! Of course not! I have never felt like this about anypony!” I assured him.

“Okay, I see…” he replied, looking relieved but still confused.

“I’m so sorry,” I told him sadly.

Then we kissed. The emotions between us were so overwhelming that I quickly teleported away before he saw my tears. I arrived back onto the beach, to the spot where we first met.

I took one last look around me and jumped back into the sea. It felt uncomfortably cold. I cast the merpony spell and then teleported myself toward the location of the iceberg. The exact iceberg that brought down The Titanic over twenty-three years ago.

After I got my bearings, I looked down toward where my hind legs had been and was surprised to find myself feeling happy that my tail was back. As I swam back toward home, I attempted to collect nine days worth of fish along the way. This was no mean feat!
I felt bad that my rush to collect fish was to hide the fact that I had lied to my mother – but at least she’d still enjoy a good feed.

After I returned to the ship, I went in search for my Mother and found her in our cabin.

“Mum! Mum I’m back!”

“Evening Breeze?” my Mother said groggily, awakening from a nap. “Aren’t you back a day early?”

“I wanted to be a day early to ensure that I wouldn’t arrive back too late,” I explained.

“Oh Thank you Evening Breeze.”

“I bought you some fish!” I announced proudly. “And lots of them too.”

I showed her the huge pile that I had collected and she asked if she could have some straight away.

“Of course you can!” I stated happily.

We set about preparing our meal and I fried up a generous portion for her to devour. I was hopeful that the fish would make her stronger.

“There you go Mum.”

She thanked me appreciatively and tucked into her meal. Between bites, she declared them the most scrumptious fish that she’d eaten in years.

“That was so good,” she announced after she’d had her fill. “You should have some yourself.”

“Ha…thanks Mum,” I replied and gratefully finishing the leftovers. “These are extremely tasty. Even I do say so myself!”

I felt relieved that I had gotten away with my little lie. My Mother remained unaware of my deceit. Until two months later…

One day, whilst relaxing in the grand ballroom, my Mother looked at me with confusion.

“Evening Breeze,” she said tentatively. “You are looking a little different recently. Are you feeling okay?”

“Yes. Why wouldn’t I be?” I said blushing. I had been daydreaming about the stallion and I wondered if this was showing on my face.

“You’ve been acting differently for over a month. In fact, ever since you came back from that large fish haul.”

I recalled the lie I had told her back then and ironically that lie turned into another. I had been keeping an even bigger secret for weeks now.

Not long after saying Goodbye to my love, I had been surprised to discover that our affair may have resulted in my becoming pregnant. I hadn’t been sure but just that morning I had noticed the change in my body. I was wondering if my Mother had noticed it to.

It was time to come clean.

“Youre right Mother,” I told her gently. “In fact, there’s somting you should know. There’s a reason why I look and feel different.

“What do you mean?” she replied in confusion.

“Do you remember how you felt when you were carrying me?” I asked nervously.

My Mother’s expression changed from absolute bafflement to sudden comprehension.

“What? No…” she spluttered, the shock of what I was saying taking over. “How is this even possible?”

I just looked at her speechless.

“You’ve been to the surface haven’t you Evening Breeze!”

“Wait Mum, wait…I can explain…” I stuttered, worried that she was angry.

“It’s okay, I’m listening Evening breeze, you naughty little mare.”

Her face was expressing shock bit I also detected a hint of happiness.

“Oh Mum…I met a wonderfully kind stallion when I went above. He had been walking along the beach and we bumped into one another.”

“Go on…” my Mother encouraged me.

“Alright…well after we met, we spent every moment together for almost nine days. But don’t worry, I never told him of my true identity. It seems our love produced a little miracle however,” I said, placing my hooves on my belly.

“Alright Evening Breeze, as long as you didn’t tell him about us.”

She then asked me about the spell I had used and I promised that it was only that one time. I thanked her for her understanding and was happy that she did not seem mad at me.

I wanted to talk more about my pregnancy but my Mum noted that we were once again running low on food.

“I need time to process all of this Evening Breeze. These last few weeks with the last bounty you collected have left me well fed and feeling much stronger. How about we both go off to collect some more fish together so that we can both be alone with our thoughts.”

I agreed and we each left separately.

After we returned, my Mother enveloped me in a hug and told me she was excited about the up and coming arrival.

I returned to our cabin that night as I left my Mother to take care of the fish. I placed my hooves once again on my belly and suddenly knew what I would call my little one.

Sunny Meadows.

“Don’t worry Sunny Meadows, you will arrive safely into this world. That I can promise you…forever.”

I pictured her little body developing in my own and felt true peace.