• Published 30th Oct 2019
  • 1,468 Views, 96 Comments

She Kills Monsters - chiko



After losing her sister, Rarity buries herself in her work. Just as lost, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, armed with a personal Ogres & Oubliette's module, try to help the seamstress open more than just her boutique.

  • ...
3
 96
 1,468

The Palm Reader

The duo entered the tavern. It was past noon, yet the inside remained dark. Sketchy patrons lined the walls and the bar at the other side of the room. The barmaid, a woman with fiery hair, looked up from the sleeping figure on her counter and met eyes with the pair.

"Where's my money, April?" called the woman behind the counter.

Even behind her helmet, April's sheepish grin was obvious. She swiped the small bag from Renee and hurried to the counter, dumping it off. "Are we straight, Sloane?"

The barmaid smiled as she counted the shining coins. "Yeah, we're settled."

April's shoulders sank. "Good. We can get started on next month's tab."

The lump on the counter began to stir. "Count me in." It groaned. "You owe me one, April."

Sloane shook her head. "No more drinks until you pay your tab, Scott. You're a mercenary. Just do a job, you lazy brute."

Scott rises. His grin is rogueish as the stubble on his cheeks.

The brute laughed as he stretched. "I'm good for it. When have I ever let you down?"

Sloane raised her brows.

April sat at the bar and gestured for Renee to join her. "Sloanie, Scott, meet my new friend, Renee."

Scott gave her an awkward salute.

Sloane waved. "Pleasure to make your aquantance."

Renee made note of the necklace around Sloane's neck. "Cute charm."

"Thanks," Sloane said, turning around and filling a glass. She passed it to April, who took it in greedily.

"A bowl of today's soup would do me good," April said, wiping her lips. "Want one, Renee? She's a mean cook."

"I'm also a palm reader." Sloane rested her arms on the counter.

"She's the best," Scott said, scratching at his short hair. "It's like she can read into your soul."

"It's a neat party trick." Sloane gestured for her to come closer. "Want one?"

Renee figured it was worth a shot to unravel her own tapestry. She leaned forwards on the counter and held out her hands. Sloane grinned as she removed her gloves.

"Your past?" Sloane asked, circling Renee's right hand with her finger. She did the same with the left. "Or potential?"

"Past." Renee swallowed.

Sloane nodded before tracing the lines on her palm. "Your life line's broken."

"What does it mean?"

"It means, strife, loss, an irreversible change." She looked to the other hand. "Not good. It's present on both palms."

"Am I going to die?"

Sloane laughed.

They met eyes, and a strange light filled Sloane's. Her expression dropped. "You have a sister. There's an near insurmountable gap between you both. It's not too late to reach understanding. Even now."

Scootaloo, can you not?

This is what your sister wrote. There's even a drawing of her palm.

Oh.

Sloane took Renee's other hand, the potential. "I sense adventure in your future. Self discovery. Understanding."

"Adventure?" April asked. "Count me in."

Scott got on his feet. "Where do we find it?"

Sloane smirked. "It will find you."