• Published 30th Oct 2019
  • 1,460 Views, 96 Comments

She Kills Monsters - chiko



After losing her sister, Rarity buries herself in her work. Just as lost, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, armed with a personal Ogres & Oubliette's module, try to help the seamstress open more than just her boutique.

  • ...
3
 96
 1,460

Into the Unknown

The trio of adventurers sat around Rarity’s desk. The only adult in the room couldn’t help but get cold feet. Would playing a children’s game really change anything? She was just wasting her time. She had dresses to make and clients to satisfy. The set-up alone seemed to be eating up her morning.

Her desk, which was normally filled with fabric and dress sketches, had now been cluttered with sheets of paper and the map of an unknown land named Belle Reve. Rarity inwardly chuckled. It wasn’t all too subtle.

“First things first,” Scootaloo said, grabbing a folded sheet from the book. “We have to make you a character.”

“A character?”

“We’ll be here all day if we start from scratch,” Apple Bloom noted. “She’ll make a good spellcaster. Maybe a mage? We could use a healer.”

Scootaloo scribbled down on a sheet of paper. “Good call. Now for your name.”

“My name’s as good as any,” Rarity said, missing the faux pas of her statement entirely.

“No it ain’t,” Apple Bloom snapped. “You gotta make a character who isn’t you. That’s the whole point of these games. You can be anyone you wanna be.”

“Preferably with a weird and exotic name,” Scootaloo added. “Like Susan or Karen.”

Apple Bloom pushed a sheet of paper with a crude drawing of a knight on it. “I am April Smith, a level twenty two paladin who loves her some ale and a good tavern fight.”

“And I’m the mightiest barbarian ever to wreak havoc on the land,” Scootaloo jumped in and pounded her fist on the table. “Villagers everywhere flee in terror when they hear the dreaded name of the Warrior Brute Scott.”

“Scott?”

“My friends call me Scotters,” Scootaloo said with a smile. “So, what’s your name fellow adventurer?”

Rarity took a moment to consider it. “Renee. It was the name of this heroine in a book I absolutely adored as a child.”

“Stealing ideas from the things you read,” Scootaloo remarked. “Classic.”

Apple Bloom passed over the half finished character sheet with generic but forgiving stats all around. “You are Renee the Enchantress. You’re an elf druid, who prides herself in the rigorous study of magic as well as aesthetics.”

“We can figure out the rest of your backstory later,” Scootaloo said with a hand wave. “Right now, we need to show you how to play the game.”

“Scootaloo's gonna double playin' a DM and her character, okay?” Apple Bloom said. “She’ll describe what’s going on, you say what you’re gonna do, and I’ll walk you through the dice rolls and what they mean.”

Rarity nodded. “That would be appreciated. Thank you.”

Scootaloo cleared her throat. “We begin our campaign in a dense woodland. Your memory is hazy. You don’t recall who you are other than your name and that your pointed ears make you an elf.”

Apple Bloom giggled. “Nice.”

“Um,” Rarity rubbed her nose. “Where am I?”

“Roll for perception.”

“So ya just take the dice, and if…”