• Published 6th Oct 2019
  • 2,915 Views, 97 Comments

The Sword of Harmony - milesprower06



The throne of Equestria has fallen. As the Storm Corps begins to spread out over the continent, the last remaining Alicorn Princess, Twilight Sparkle, must find a way to save what remains.

  • ...
10
 97
 2,915

Healing

It was supposed to be home, but it felt like the farthest thing from.

Twilight and Starswirl, accompanied by a small detachment of four Canterlot E.U.P. guards, silently made their way through the empty halls of the Castle of Friendship, branches and leaves crunching underneath their every step. It looked like an ancient jungle ruin more than anything else. Roots and branches had encroached on everything, as if it had spent centuries abandoned. But since she had returned the armor containing the Elements of Harmony to the Tree underneath the Castle of the Two Sisters, they had nothing to fear from the growth, and it could be cleared away with time.

There was quite an awful lot of things around the nation that would take time to deal with right now.

Her Castle of Friendship was one of the only structurally sound buildings remaining in Ponyville. The Everfree Forest had taken its toll on the town in the weeks it was left abandoned. It was heart-wrenching to see the town like this, but there wasn't a doubt in her mind that Starswirl unleashing the Everfree Forest and making the Storm King respond in a panic with his fleet, saved countless lives. Before she returned to Ponyville with Starswirl, she sent messengers out from Canterlot to spread the word of their hard-fought victory, and that help would be on the way to those that needed it.

Stepping up to the throne room doors, the six ponies pushed together, breaking the vines and slowly opened their way. There, Twilight stood and saw the Cutie Map, and how it was the only thing in the room that the Everfree growth had not touched. The seven thrones had been wrapped and entwined. She had to swallow to keep her emotions from bubbling over when she looked at the six thrones that wouldn't be sat in again. The last time she was in this room, they were all together just before the Friendship Festival.

She and Starswirl slowly walked around the table to the head, to her throne, and lit her horn up, burning away the vines that had overtaken it, and sat down. She fired a single beam of magic at the center of the table, and it flickered to life, the hologram of Equestria and beyond hovering millimeters above the crystal surface.

The alicorn's eyes scanned the map, surveying the clearest picture they would ever get of the destruction the Storm Fleet had caused. Bostrot. Haliflanks. Manehattan. Fillydelphia. Counting the dead would take weeks. Rebuilding would take years.

Thankfully, the northeast coast was where Tempest's rampage had been largely contained; with the Storm King panicking and desperate to hold his prize of Canterlot, and recalling nearly his entire fleet to attempt to burn back the Everfree Forest.

"Well," Twilight began, her quiet, sullen voice easily carrying to the other side of the room. "I think we can clearly see which areas need help the most."

"Your Majesty," The corporal of the E.U.P. squad began. "May I ask when you're planning on returning to Canterlot?"

Twilight's eyes rose from the map to meet the corporal's gaze.

"Who says I'm returning?" She asked, half-annoyed that he would make such an assumption.

"You're the last remaining alicorn princess, and Canterlot has been Equestria's throne for generations."

"Corporal, we've all been through a lot. But please don't assume where I will choose to rule from. If you think my reign will be from where my best friends and mentors were murdered, you are sorely mistaken."

The response had clearly flustered the guard.

"M-My apologies, Princess. I meant no offense."

"Rebuilding efforts in Canterlot are to be prioritized to homes, farms, and businesses. The only thing palace engineers are to do is ensure that roof isn't in danger of collapsing further. Other than that, the throne room is not to be touched for the time being, do I make myself clear?"

"Perfectly, Your Majesty." He replied immediately.

"Leave us, Corporal." She concluded.

The stallion gave a crisp salute, and turned and filed out with his squad, leaving the throne room to Starswirl and Twilight, who let out a sigh and slumped back in her throne.

The conjurer was being patient with the Princess of Friendship as best he could; he could tell that she had started to grieve, probably the moment she had finished Tempest off in the Foal Mountains. The only piece of good news she had received in the last couple days was that her mother and father were found unharmed in Canterlot.

"You think looking at these empty thrones is any worse than Celestia looking up at her sister in the moon every night for a millennium?" She asked Starswirl.

"I think that's a question only you can answer, Twilight." He replied.

"I never got the opportunity to ask her how she did it. How she made it through day after day after what she was forced to do to her own sister. Did she view herself as a monster?"

"I'm sure she didn't. She wasn't acting for her sake, but for the sake of everypony that counted on her and her sister. Just like you did what you did for everypony that has been counting on you."

"The last thing I said to them was how I'd be better off without them." The Princess confessed.

"They knew how you truly felt. That's why they came there to help you. Even best friends make mistakes sometimes." The Pillar told her as tears began to silently fall from her eyes.

"The way Tempest looked at me... The way she trembled, the pure, abject fear in her eyes as I stood over her... It was one of the most satisfying things I have ever seen in my life. And yet, at the same time..." Twilight paused, feeling a painful knot in her stomach. "...I never want to make anypony look at me like that ever again." Twilight confessed as she started to cry.

"Twilight..." Starswirl began as he pulled the weeping mare into a warm embrace. "It was never going to be enough. No matter how quickly or slowly you brought them to their ends, no matter how painful you made it... None of it would have lessened the losses you have suffered. The only thing that helps with healing is time, and sometimes not even then. You are a pony, nothing more. It doesn't matter if your magic can barely turn a page in a book, or if you can manipulate the cosmos with a fleeting thought, you are still an imperfect pony with hopes and dreams and fears just like all the rest of us, and you used them to save what we all had left. Nopony can possibly ask any more of you, not even yourself."


Twilight stood on the path in front of her castle, listening to the approaching train from the Crystal Empire. Three days had passed since she and Starswirl had returned to town, and now she felt the time had come to ask for volunteers to return and help rebuild. Shining had gotten their message, and said they'd be departing very early this morning, with instructions to come to the castle when they arrived, but he hadn't exactly mentioned how many were coming back. She supposed she expected them to start trickling in slowly from each direction, but what she saw come around the corner made her heart creep up to her throat.

Marching a dozen ponies wide, with Mayor Mare front and center, was a block of easily 200 ponies coming down the main road. The front row was holding large parade flags; Equestria's National Flag, Ponville's flag from the Equestria Games, and what caused her tears to spill over, flags embroidered with the cutie marks of the Elements of Harmony, the three Princesses, and even one patterned for Spike. Though they marched through the dilapidation of their homes, their faces were determined and proud as the approached the Princess of Friendship standing in front of her castle.

"Ponyville, halt!" Mayor Mare commanded, grand-marshal-style. "Where do we start, Princess?" She asked, holding the Equestrian flag proudly.

Twilight took a deep breath and smiled at all of them as her tears continued.

"I..." She paused, sniffling, taking a step towards them. "I don't even know where to begin. This town opened me up to the incredible magic that friendship is. I know a lot of us have lost cherished loved ones, and even more of us still are waiting to hear from distant friends and relatives. I know that there are quite a few ponies who are wanting me, expecting me to take my place in Canterlot, but Ponyville helped in so many amazing ways to make me the leader Equestria needs me to be today, and that is a decision I won't even approach until this town is back on its feet. I know... I know that's what my... My friends would have... would have..."

Twilight couldn't find the will to finish her speech as she broke down in front of the crowd, and Mayor Mare firmly staked her flag in the ground, and without a word, came forward and embraced the princess, followed immediately by another, then two more, then three. When the grieving mare was completely surrounded, another layer was started behind that one. It quickly became a group hug two hundred ponies strong, as the twelve flags blew prominently in the morning breeze.


Shining Armor, Sunburst, and Starlight made their way up the steps of the Castle of Friendship, which was looking better and better with each passing day. When Twilight had sent word that the tracks had been cleared of the Everfree growth and repaired, Shining called for volunteer Ponyvillians to return and begin the rebuilding process, after they had abandoned their homes for nearly a month. He was taken aback when not a single one chose to remain in the Crystal Empire. He decided to stay for a few days with Flurry and help set up a considerable encampment behind the castle, as nearly all of the structures in Ponyville weren't safe to inhabit. Word quickly reached Canterlot, and the surviving Ponyvillians from the Friendship Festival immediately made their way down the mountain to help, bringing nearly the entire surviving population together again. With nearly one thousand volunteers ready and able to help with repairing, tearing down, and rebuilding, Shining was ready to put bits down on Ponyville looking as good as new within a year; sadly the same couldn't be said of metropolises like Manehattan and Fillydelphia. But the important thing to remember was that healing was happening across the nation. He was relieved when he heard that his mom and dad were both confirmed safe in Canterlot a week ago.

He knew his little sister was trying her best to put on a brave face for her subjects, but she was still grieving for what she had lost in the attack on Canterlot. It was a hard road, but he hoped it was one she would one day reach the end of.

For now, he was wondering why she had specifically asked to see him, Sunburst, and Starlight, who had been called down from overseeing recovery efforts in Canterlot. When they stepped through the front doors into the main foyer, they saw how improved everything was, with dozens of ponies currently in line for lunch in the dining room; cooking in firepits out in the camp was no longer a necessity once they got the kitchen equipment back up and running in here.

After heading up the stairs, they turned and went down the hall to the throne room, which had been remarkably improved as well. There at her throne, sat Twilight, and in front of her on the table, rested the Bewitching Bell of Grogar, the notches and patterns of it glowing a bright yellow against the dark green surface.

"Hey there, Twiley." Shining greeted, and she looked up from her current paperwork and gave them all a weak smile.

"It's nice to see you all again. Thank you for coming."

"What can we do for you, Twilight?" Starlight asked, as they stood on the opposite side of the table, facing her.

Twilight took a deep breath, then looked at each of them before speaking.

"What I am about to ask each of you, is entirely your own choice. And this is probably the most important question I will ask any of you in my life."

She paused, and motioned to the Bewitching Bell.

"This is entirely too much power for one pony. I did what I had to in order to bring the conflict to a quick and decisive end before we lost even more innocent lives, and it shook me to my core, especially when I blew up half a mountain in anger. I will keep it if I am absolutely forced to, but you are the closest family and friends I have left."

She slowly stood up from her throne, looking each of them in the eye.

"Will you let me share this magic with you? Will you help me take up their mantle? Sunburst, you are wise beyond your years, and your knowledge brought us a beacon of hope when we had little else going for us. Will you take the responsibility of Prince of the Sun?"

The stallion's eyes widened, speechless at the offer, but he gave a determined nod.

"Starlight, you are one of my greatest successes, and dearest friends. You helped me and saved me in my hour of need. Will you watch over the ponies of Equestria as they dream, and become Princess of the Night?"

Swallowing her tears before they spilled over, Starlight nodded.

"I would be honored, Twilight."

Lastly, she turned to her big brother.

"Shining, I hope I'm not being too bold in saying this, but I truly believe if the worst happened as it has, that Cadance would want nothing more than for you to take her place. You are a loving brother and father. Will you take Cadance's place as guardian of the Crystal Heart?"

He smiled proudly at his younger sister.

"Willingly, and proudly." He replied.

Sniffling, tears fell from Twilight's eyes as she smiled proudly at each of them. She took a deep breath, picked up the Bewitching Bell, and stepped up on the table, walking over to them. As she stood in front of them, they each closed their eyes, and prepared. The Princess of Friendship held the bell out towards them, and the bell expelled the magic it held, with light gold, dark blue, and light blue auras of magic flowing over to Sunburst, Starlight, and Shining Armor, respectively. What started as a slight tingling sensation grew to incredible surges, and each of them had to concentrate to stay on their hooves. Each of them began glowing brighter and brighter, and as the last of the magic touched their chests, they exploded in a flash of white light, so bright that Twilight had to take a step back and shield her eyes.

When she saw that enough of the light had died down, she lowered her foreleg from her face, and saw the three of them standing exactly where they had been. Only now, they were astonishingly studying their own, and each others, new pairs of wings.

"Alright, Twiley, one question; how long did it take for you to get used to these? Because, clearly, I have to get used to it faster." He sneered in a tone that could only denote undying sibling rivalry.

Chuckling for the first time in over a month, she jumped down from the table and pulled them all into a group hug.

"Thank you... Thank you all so much." She cried.

Author's Note:

I would like that ending to stand as proof that I am not above accepting bribes from Larson.

I knew I could make it work, and honestly, twenty bucks is twenty bucks.

In all seriousness, thanks for reading. I'd like to personally think that Tempest is one of the most poetic deaths I've ever written, but I'll let all of you be the judges of that.

Again, thank you very much for reading!

-Miles

Comments ( 43 )

That was a nice story, though in my personal opinion, was over entirely too quickly. Personally I would have stretched it out to 30k as a minimum, and I have no doubt such a plot could easily break 100k and not feel unnecessarily long if done correctly. But that's just my two cents.

This was a wonderful ending to a great story. Thank you.:twilightsmile:

9878527
I'm rarely the best at fluff, and I was afraid it would effect the quality of what's here.

9878543
I’m not a writer, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I feel like what you’ve done is that you simply went from major plot point to major plot point with very little to connect them. For example, Twilight and Co. simply went straight from the Crystal Empire to mount everhoof in (from our perspective) an instant.

You could have filled chapters with their travels alone. Maybe they had to evade the storm king forces looking for them. Also, this journey would give Twilight enough tome to properly think about what happened. The guilt from the last thing she told her friends. How she’s the last princess. Develop her anger toward Tempest.

We never really got to see how Starlight properly feels about the whole situation. Would she try to rein Twilight in, or want revenge with her. Maybe Sunburst could try to be a voice of reason.

All this, just between the Crystal empire and mount everhoof.

So much more could have been added in my opinion, and I’m just a little sad because I feel like this story has so much potential.

I guess you could rewrite it if you feel like that’s a good idea.

9878574
I've never rewritten things I've already posted, but I get what you're saying.

It was originally going to be just the oneshot of "A Kingdom For Her Horn", simply a bad-ending hypothetical of the movie.

Then as my mind goes places during work, I started to think 'what if Twilight was able to find a way to fight back?'

I knew going in that the lack of fluff would probably be the story's greatest flaw, but I wanted to share what I had thought up.

I've been writing for 30 days straight leading up to the finale. This was just the last six days of that.

Good Story imo. some parts are a bit rush, but overall, very good.

"The way Tempest looked at me... The way she trembled, the pure, abject fear in her eyes as I stood over her... It was one of the most satisfying things I have ever seen in my life. And yet, at the same time..." Twilight paused, feeling a painful knot in her stomach. "...I never want to make anypony look at me like that ever again." Twilight confessed as she started to cry.

This.

9880144
Thanks.

Yeah, as the days pass, I'm viewing the lack of fluff as this story's biggest flaw.

9880384
Will there be a sequel?
Even if it fast forwards time?

9881864
Not sure. I'm leaning towards no for the time being.

I'm preparing my next Fizzlepop story for release tomorrow morning, because that is clearly what my readers are voting for me to post.

9881867
I don’t mind I just found them today and they are awesome

9881870
Glad you're enjoying them. Next one will be the longest yet, just won't be released all at once.

Comment posted by The Ohvist deleted Oct 16th, 2019

9931773
Wait, did they, or did they NOT TRAVEL underwater? Because from what I REMEMBERED - they were shot from a canon, and shattered mid-air. The closing chapter of the film. Also, Twilight herself said - her last words were that she'd rather not have such friends. It was right before Twilight was caught alone.

9931792
Yeah, Twilight shouting at Pinkie is the last she saw her friends in this alternate take.

9931822
So they DO know of Capper and Skystar? Becasue Twilight shouted at her "friends" after trying to steal the Pearl of Tansformation, basically the last location they visited, before being back in Canterlot.

I sniffled.
I swallowed a lump in my throat.
I cried.
Bravo! What a wonderful and powerful story you have told!

9965165
Thanks for reading!

I'm currently wondering if I want to do another piece to this storyline.

9965292
I would encourage you to! See what else Twi does to move on, how the others adjust to Alicornism, things like that.
Anyway, Thank you for writing it!

Right in the feels:fluttercry:

Did I miss something, or is Flurry as dead as the rest? I missed a lot, and I don't know if I will go back and read the rest. Just from what I have read.

9976631
No, Flurry is alive and well.

I'm willing to admit I've never been your biggest fan. I only started following you because of A Precious Rainbow. However, you've finally written another story to rival that.

9997510
That's exactly it. It's the official name of the royal guard.

What a sad story. But I feel you've either neglected or forgotten a minir but VERY powerful character who should've most DEFINITELY played a role in this. Namely because his very special somepony had just been killed.

Discord

10501382
I've said before that I really have no idea what to do with Discord narratively because he can just snap problems away. I'd rather omit a character entirely than give them a subpar treatment.

10501467
Idea!! How's this for a twist to the plotline? Discord had been watching all of the lovely chaos that was happening while in his realm and enjoying every second of it...up until the girls (ie: Fluttershy) were gassed by Tempest. Seeing the very real and imminent danger they were in, he swooped in and snatched them away to the 'safety' of his realm. Then, with a few milliseconds to spare, he decided to both give Twilight Sparkle a 'lesson in friendship and leadership' in his own way by creating a series of perfect replica statues of the girls, which is what crashed and shattered in front of Twilight. Sadly, he wasn't able to swap out the Princesses before Tempest Shadow destroyed them.

He then left Twilight Sparkle believing that her friends had all died and sat back to watch how she reacted. Then he essentially kept the girls hostage in his realm as he let events play out until he felt the opportune time for their return had arrived.

Can you imagine Twilight's reaction to seeing her friends stumble into her castle just as she was finishing up that first lesson with her students? How would Ponyville, Canterlot, and the rest of Equestria react to this inexplicable resurrection of 6 supposedly deceased heroes?

Just an idea. Feel free to use or discard at your pleasure. I just ask for credit where credit's due IF you use it.

10501533
I doubt I could retcon that in any kind of believable way.

There were funeral services. Their families have also grieved.

And Discord doing that would just be a whole other level of cruel.

10501534
Exactly. Discord is quite cruel at times, even if it's watered down a lot because it's a kid's show. Not to mention just how brutal and cruel YOU were to write this story as it is, so you really don't got much of a leg to stand on in my opinion.

Plus, him doing this AFTER all of the fuss and funerals and during their mourning phase is PRECISELY the perfect time for him to spring his little practical joke on everyone. For that is exactly when and how he can cause the most chaos and discord possible for everyone involved.

But, if you're TRULY that committed to not using this idea, then fine. It was only a suggestion after all.

10501551
I mean I kinda get it, but it's a whole lot of effort that would be instantly nullified. Mainly the throne room memorial.

10501556
Oh, I get that too. But I'm not saying that such efforts need to be invalidated. After all, while they may not have REALLY died that day, they could still be considered catalysts to Equestria's eventual victory because it galvanized Twilight into taking new and serious action. Besides, the Princesses memorial is already blatantly the REAL centerpiece of that memorial.

Think of it as that one flag-raising photo that was made famous during the Pacific campaign of WWII. None of those men who were caught in the photo raising the flag actually died and it's still considered a major icon of victory for the US. As well as numerous other memorials all over the world that celebrate some great victory or deed or whatever, that DIDN'T necessarily end in tragedy.

I'm starting to ramble. Sorry about that. Anyway, my point being that I feel your making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. Yes, there will be some confusion, anger, despair, and joy, but that is what Discord does and likely why it's so hard to be his friend. But I digress, it's your story.

10501584
Not sure I'll do anything with it. But I'll put it on the back burner.

10501587
Well, that's all one can ask for, I suppose. Thanks for the discussion at least!

If you ever wanna brainstorm on possible story ideas, just let me know! :scootangel::twilightsmile: I've always got some new ones to spare and usually time to share:pinkiehappy:.....or is it the other way around? :pinkiecrazy::derpytongue2:

10501593
Honestly I've wondered how I would do a Tempestlight (Tempest x Twilight) shipping story.

10501598
Hm...well, I guess it depends on what kind of story you wanna write. Just a common peaceful Equestria story, some kind of crisis that they need to endure, or did you wanna go a bit more original? Because I've already got an idea for something similar to what happened in this series.

Where the Storm King triumphs, but betrays Tempest. Twilight and her friends escape, saving Tempest in the process, and are forced to create a resistance movement and/or army to battle against the Storm King's rampaging forces. During this, in an effort to earn the group's trust and show her newfound loyalty, Tempest takes it upon herself to train them (Twilight specifically) in how to ACTUALLY fight and lead in battle and wars. Basically, Tempest tries to make them into warriors as they begin the long and slow process of taking back Equestria.

I've even got some ideas for a battle scene against a besieged castle that the Stormguard (or the Resistance, if you want) are trying to take, that could go quite well for this idea.

How's that for a story?

10501621
I was kinda going for a peaceful Equestria story, kinda like a "fall for the teacher" kind of approach.

I've always imagined that Tempest is at least a year or two older than Twi.

10501630
Hm....I might have to give that a bit more thought.

Although, even if you want the more peaceful version, I still feel that Tempest trying to actively train Twilight in self-defense is the best way to go. Especially if you want the whole 'falling for teacher' angle. Of course, it could even be a two-way exchange here. Tempest teaches Twilight combat, Twilight teaches Tempest friendship. So, by that regard, 'falling for teacher' could apply to either/both of them.

10563895
Yes, I like Tempest, and this is my only story where she meets a fate such as this.

Other than that, I've been writing stories about her almost since the movie came out.

This was a good read. Short and sweet with a happy ending. All characters behave how they are presented in the show, and the world is undoubtedly canon. I’d definitely recommend it for anyone looking to dip their toes into an MLP adventure epic, but a bit intimated by the 50k+ word novels. This one will definitely scratch an itch and yet have you craving more in just under 20k words (including the one-shot).

11306561
There's another sequel if you want to keep going.

11306566
Oh! There is! Even better and this one looks like it will focus on Twilight healing after the loss of her friends and mentors. I’ll definitely need to check it out.

Login or register to comment