• Published 7th Oct 2019
  • 871 Views, 18 Comments

The Enchanted Library: The Secret Chapters - garatheauthor



Once there was a ghost writer, whose ideas were so profound, that they were not allowed to see the light of day. That is... until now.

  • ...
6
 18
 871

Chapter 5 - Sometimes a sinkhole is actually a sinkhole

“Rarity, we’ve been at this for hours now,” Applejack said. “Maybe we should take a break and try again in the morning?”

Rarity shook her head, marking yet another tree with the Timberwolf’s claw. “I can feel it, Applejack. We’re getting close to finding Twilight’s library. I’m certain of it.”

“You figured out the whole sinkhole thing and I’m sure that we could find it tomorrow with a good night’s sleep and some fresh eyes. Lickity split.”

Rarity pursed her lips, surveying the sky. It was getting pretty close to morning, the stars starting to fade as the blackness of night slowly gave way to blue.

“How about one more sinkhole? If we don’t find anything there, then we can try again tomorrow night, hmm?”

Applejack looked around and let out a helpless sigh. “Fine. I know better than to try and convince you. Just don’t go complaining when you’re too tired tomorrow night.”

“Deal.”

Together, the two of them continued forward, marking trees as they pressed ever deeper into the seemingly endless Everfree. It took maybe another half an hour before they came upon the next ‘sinkhole’.

Rarity surveyed it for only a moment and was just about to leap in when Applejack held a hoof across her chest, stopping her.

“How about you let me go?” Applejack offered.

Rarity frowned and huffed in a very indignant but ladylike fashion. “Why?”

“Because you’ve been leading the charge all night, and I outta take my turn every once in a while. Plus, I don’t want you spraining your hoof or anything. They might not be sinkholes but they can still be a pretty nasty fall and your hindleg is only recently mended. Last thing either of us wants, is you needing to be hauled out of here on my back.”

Rarity bit her lip and looked at the hole, feeling the air gush into its seemingly endless gaping maw. A nice touch of authenticity by Discord.

“Fine,” she conceded. “You may take the lead on this one. Though if you do find the library, I demand the right to be the first one in.”

Applejack nodded, touching the tip of her hat. “Scouts’ honour.”

And with that, Applejack stepped back and took a deep breath.

“Here goes nothing,” she mumbled.

She bound forward and leapt high into the air before falling into the depression.

Except…

She kept falling and falling and falling, her screams growing fainter by the second.

Rarity stepped towards the edge and looked down, blinking in disbelief.

“Applejack,” she whispered. “You alright down there?”

SPLAT!

Author's Note:

Discord/Ko-Fi/Patreon/Twitter