• Published 7th Oct 2019
  • 858 Views, 18 Comments

The Enchanted Library: The Secret Chapters - garatheauthor



Once there was a ghost writer, whose ideas were so profound, that they were not allowed to see the light of day. That is... until now.

  • ...
6
 18
 858

Chapter 1 - Why Twilight was really banished to the library

A cloud of smoke rose from the centre of Twilight’s library, wafting towards the ceiling in lazy little puffs of misty grey.

Yet, Twilight did not seem overly concerned by this development, choosing instead to glance over at the creature across from her.

“Do you mind passing that to me?” Twilight asked.

She was handed a glass vessel, crafted in a manner where a beaker-shaped chamber of water was connected to a long cylinder of glass and a small metallic bowl that contained a green and mystical herb.

Or as the foals called it, a bong.

Twilight pressed her lips against the cylinder and lit the herb, inhaling to fill the chamber with a slightly grey-ish vapour. She then removed the bowl of charred herb as the vapour was drawn right into her mouth and eagerly awaiting lungs.

She held onto this vapourish smoke for as long as she could, before coughing and releasing it into the library, sending up yet another cloud.

“Careful there,” Discord teased. “I’d hate to have to tell Celestia that I asphyxiated her favourite student.”

“You do that every other Tuesday, anyways,” Twilight said, smirking coyly.

“True, but I don’t exactly want her to know about our bedroom activities, either.”

Twilight chuckled; her voice left a little hoarse by the smoke. “Plus, I’m not really her student anymore.”

“Ah right,” Discord said, studying her. “You have wings now, you’re more of a junior associate these days.”

Twilight nodded and said nothing more, instead staring at her bookshelves with a half-lidded and slightly addled gaze. Her eyes were left reddened by the contents of the bong.

Discord reached over and snatched the vessel from her, enjoying his own little puff. And as he released his vapour, it crept towards the roof in the shape of a stampeding elephant.

“Nice trick,” Twilight said. “You’ll have to teach it to me someday.”

“I don’t think you could physically perform it, I’m afraid.”

“Why’s that?”

“It involves shaping and reshaping your lungs on the fly. Last time I tried that; it hadn’t gone so well for the pony involved.”

Twilight nodded before tapping a hoof against her chest. “Can I admit something to you Discord?”

“Of course, Twilight, dear. What else are friends for?”

“I kind of really hate the idea of being a princess.”

“Oh?” Discord cocked a brow. “And why’s that?”

“Like, I used to just be Celestia’s student and a part-time librarian. You know, spend my days either reading, working, or taking lessons from Celestia. Like sure, not the most rewarding life possible but still, it was nice and cozy, and honestly pretty easy. Now look at me, I have to attend meetings, and councils, and judge affairs of state.” She groaned. “It’s so freaking exhausting.”

Discord nodded, handing the bong back to Twilight who promptly took another massive rip, which she coughed out in her own, rather boring, cloud of vapour.

“Probably explains why you’ve been getting stoned a lot more lately.”

“Social anxiety is a bitch,” Twilight mumbled before glancing at Discord. “Thanks for bringing some weed, by the way.”

“Hey, any time.” Discord bit his lip. “Speaking of… do you have some bits to pay for it?”

Twilight winced. “Oh shit! Sorry, dude. I totally forgot to pick some up for tonight.” She grinned. “But you know I’m good for the money, right?”

Discord smiled a very unsure smile. “Yeah, yeah, totally. It’s just… you uh…”

“Uh, what?”

“Never paid me for any of the weed you’ve smoked,” he grumbled under his breath. “Like ever.”

“What was that?” Twilight asked, looking over at him with all the gravity and seriousness that a stoner could muster.

“Nothing, nothing, take another toke if you’d like. I think I’m good for the night.”

Twilight nodded and finished the bowl, cleaned the chamber, and slid the bong off to the side.

“But for real, dude,” Twilight said. “What I wouldn’t give to be able to take some time off, lounge in my library without commitments, and just veg with a good book or two.”

“And probably smoke a little pot.”

“I mean of course…” she said before wincing, “but uh… don’t tell Celestia that I’ve been smoking it, ok?”

Discord held up a defensive paw. “Your secret is safe with me. Neither Celestia, Luna, Cadance, or even Shining will ever have to find out that you’ve become quite the little stoner, dear.”

“Thanks, Discord, you’re a pretty great friend.”

Discord chuckled, shaking his head. “Don’t worry Twilight Stoner, I am well aware.” Soon a mischievous little smile formed on his muzzle. “In fact! I think I know of a way that you could enjoy some much-needed and completely commitment-free R&R.”

“Y-you do?” Twilight asked.

Discord nodded and snapped his talons, making Twilight’s eyes close as she fell into a deep slumber.

“When you wake up, you’ll be able to enjoy all the books you want,” he said before his voice dropped to a whisper. “And I can stop having my weed being used up by a little mooch who doesn’t pay her share.” He snorted. “Honestly, it sounds like a win-win to me.”


Twilight awoke and quickly cradled a hoof against her pulsating forehead. It ached with such violent intensity that she thought this was the end. This was how she was going to perish, waking up with the mother of all weed hangovers.

However, she was thankfully smart enough to not just succumb to her conditions. Hangovers may have been serious business but she knew how to treat them with ease.

First, she needed water and luckily there was a well just outside her library.

She got up, on shaky legs, and lumbered towards the exit. And just as she was about to reach it, she slammed into a solid wall.

“What the fuck,” she growled, rubbing her wounded snout.

As she looked up, she noticed the ripple of a magical barrier.

“What…” she repeated, placing her hoof against it.

The thin membrane of magic shimmered under her hoof.

That hadn’t been there yesterday.

No matter, she was a powerful alicorn and it wasn’t like this simple prank would hold her for long. She charged her horn and unleashed a barrage of magic. To her immediate dismay, this potent spell was taken in by the membrane, strengthening it as it took on a yellowish and gravely foreboding tinge.

Oh shit… this was chaos magic.

She scrambled back and towards her desk.

“Discord!” she screamed. “Get your ass out here, right this second!”

No response came.

As she reached the centre of her library, she noticed that a fresh tome had been left behind upon her desk. On it was the title, Balance of Payment.

“What the?”

Twilight opened it and the first page was littered with the phrase, this is your fault, written over and over again in a very angry looking and hastily scribbled red font. Clearly the author had some kind of grudge against her.

She grumbled under her breath and flipped to page two, and then three, and four. After the first page, the text was far neater, laying out how much weed she’d borrowed from Discord and what the monetary value of it was.

By the end of page sixty-nine, the last of the book, there was a grand total at the very bottom.

“How…”

How the fuck had she smoked over two thousand bits of Discord’s weed.

Author's Note:

Discord/Ko-Fi/Patreon/Twitter