• Published 7th Oct 2019
  • 2,443 Views, 64 Comments

The Unbroken Spear - Jamis



Atreus has climbed many mountains they were not always high, they were not always mountains. One thing is for certain, this mortal's will shall not be broken.

  • ...
8
 64
 2,443

23. Surprise to No One pt.2 (electric boogaloo)

Atreus walked through the gate, he had talked to the few officers that were managing the city’s patrols. One or two incidents, nothing they couldn’t handle with ease. He walked to the event hall with his spear still strapped to his back. He decided now would be a decent time to visit the party and find the elements, ‘They should have had enough time to enjoy the party without me butting in, now I can join them without distracting them from the party. My presence would be distracting if I had gone earlier. Maybe it would help if I still didn’t stand out like a unhammered nail. Though I suppose growing a tail is out of reasonable expectations.’ As he mused the two guards that had accompanied him left to be reassigned.

“Hey,” Atreus turned his head to look at a boy, he had a few purple scaled features on his face and hands. It took a moment for the man to realize why the boy looked familiar. The boy had been with Twilight before and after the return of Nightmare Moon. He spoke again, “I don’t remember your name,“ he scratched the back of his head and chuckled awkwardly, “and I don’t think we have ever spoken but, I’m Spike. I’m Twilight’s assistant.”

Pantheon smiled behind his helmet and replied, “Yes, I remember now. You were there when we returned from the forest.”

“Yeah, I was real worried when I couldn’t find Twilight but when she came back she told be about the fight it sounded awesome, if scary.” The dragon shuffled awkwardly for a moment, “I know she told me your name but it has been months, could you remind me?”

“Ahh, apologies,” Pantheon took his helmet off and placed it under his shield arm, “My name Atreus, though only my friends call me that. Most call me Pantheon.” The warrior crouched a bit, as he moved placed his shield on the ground and his left hand Took the helm from under his right arm. Now free, he extended it to meet Spike’s. The boy shook his hand with a decent amount of strength for someone his age.

Pantheon put his helm back on and returned his shield to his hand. “Well nice to meet you. What are you doing here, and why you with those guards? I asked another guard earlier and he said they were ‘Night guards’. To be honest I don’t know how I haven’t heard about all the stuff that has be happening in Canterlot, even in Ponyville we should have heard about something like a new guard force.”

“Quite the slew of words you have sent my way. I was with the Night guards because I am a part of them. As for why you haven’t heard about that, I would assume Luna and Celestia are trying to ease the populace into accepting them. The majority of them are batponies.” Atreus’ answer caused Spike to tilt his head.

“Why would that matter?” the two of them had started to unconsciously walk to the hall.

“What was your first thought when you saw them?” the pair continued forward.

“Well,” Spike seemed guilty for a moment before speaking, “I thought they looked scary, but I asked a guard and he said they were good so I decided to come talk to you to learn more.”

“Hmmm, yes well. While you were smart and didn’t act on your fear in a bad way. Fear is still a strong force and pe-ponies can do many things when they are afraid. It is best to have the rest of Equestria outside of Canterlot be slowly exposed to them.” Spike nodded slowly.

“I guess. Say did you answer why you were here or did I miss that, you checking on the gala or something?” the warrior nodded.

“I am here to see the elements, I have not seen them since our first meeting I am sorry to say. I was hoping to talk with them before they leave Canterlot. I suppose meeting you properly is something I had not expected. I am glad non the less, you smart for someone your age. Quite curious and intellegent.” the complement caused the young drake to brighten up.

“Thanks! Though I think I have some bad news for you.” now curious himself Atreus looked at the ‘baby’ dragon.

“Oh, and why is that?”

“Well, I tried to talk to most of them and they were doing their own things, Twilight was trying to talk to Princess Celestia. But the princess was busy greeting guests. Apple jack was trying to sell apple goods for some reason, you know pies and stuff.”

‘As a fellow aspiring baker, I am proud.’ Atreus secretly thought. Cause we all know his real profession is baking bread, or summoning it from the stars. One of the two.

“Fluttershy was talking to animals without much success,Rainbow was talking with some Wonderbolts, I couldn’t find Rarity.” The dragon sighed at that sentence, “And Pinkie was being Pinkie in the middle of the hall.” Spike sighed, “I was about to leave when you came into view.”

“Leave? To where?” at this point they had stopped moving and were at least ten feet from the doors to the hall.

The concern while not missed by the dragon was quickly stomped by an idea, “Hey, wanna come along? Since the girls are busy I could show you all the best places in Canterlot. And to end it we can go to this place called PonyJoe’s which makes the best doughnuts in Canterlot.”

Atreus paused for a moment and looked at the doors, ‘Busy. I guess I was wrong, they still need some time to themselves. And Spike needs a companion, if only to supervise him if nothing else.’ Pantheon returned to the smiling dragon, ”Very well I’ll join you.”

“Alright! Come on I know where to start first!” Spike continued to talk and while he was listening somewhat he was also thinking.

‘I’ll meet the girls once they come to get Spike, besides I want to know what a doughnut is.’

...

Luna had finished her meeting with the smiths and decide to walk back to her room. She felt tired though she only assumed that she felt that way from all her meetings. The lunar diarch lay on her back on her bed, ‘Three meetings in one day, not fun.’ She laid down but didn’t sleep for a while her empty mind sharpening after some rest.

Her empty thoughts turn to the gala, it was still happening and she didn’t have a reason beside not wanting to be stared at by proud nobles who didn’t like her. ‘But, did I thank my saviours. Show my appreciation, get to know them, anything? Atreus has told me things about them and he only spent some scant hours with them. Their personalities, talents, professions, and lives. I need to see them, to thank them at the very least. Not like I-‘ Luna’s thoughts were interrupted by loud crashes and bangs. She frowned and sat up quickly straining her ears to listen. Nothing, faint sounds from the party, incomprehensible to her ears.

Luna quickly ran out of her room and to the event hall, sure she could have teleported but she didn't know what was happening. Teleportation may have got her there faster but she needed to know the situation first before jumping in. If she did teleport in without knowing she could be in trouble. She got to the doors at last and a disaster came into view, toppled pillars and destroyed tables, the whole room was clear except for a few guards. "What happened here!" Luna's shout was loud but not a in her Royal Canterlot Voice™.

"The few guards who saw the reason for the destruction said it was an accident." a solar guard spoke up. After explaining the series of events that took place Luna wondered whither all that could possibly happen so close together. After that she asked if anyone knew where her sister was. The answer was that the guests had evacuated, and her sister had been gone after that. She spoke to a few more guards to ensure the mess was scheduled to be cleaned and repaired.

'I should still find her if only be sure she is fine. Celestia has to have a reason to leave.' Luna continued to give orders to ensure she could leave without causing the castle to be left hanging.

...

"So hows the doughnut?" Spike asked, his excitement clear. Atreus had his helmet on the counter and his shield laid against the front of the wall of the counter.

"Hmmm, rather sweet but none the less excellent. My compliments Mr. Joe, your pastries are quite good." the unicorn who owned this doughnut shop smiled. He had a white apron on and a small white hat. His hands were clean though his apron showed signs of his work.

"This really the first time you had a doughnut? You seem quite familiar with sweets and baked goods." Atreus nodded as he finished the pink frosted chocolate confection.

"I eat with the princesses, I have sampled many things in the months I have been in Canterlot.” Spike and Joe looked at one another then Pantheon.

Spike was the first to speak up, “You eat with the princesses?”

“At first it was because I was a guest, after I joined the night guard as Luna’s personal guard. We continued to do so because it saved me time, if I had to eat elsewhere when Luna did it would give me little time to do so. Since she initially only had me as a guard, we spent most of the day together leaving no time for a shift switch. Getting back to the meals though, the princesses also enjoyed the company and conversation as valued well as my input.” Atreus explained, Spike nodded along like it was the most normal thing in the world, Joe seemed confused.

“You spent all day with Princess Luna? How come, why were there no other night guards. I have seen a bunch of them, even months ago.” the unicorn’s question was met with a nod from Spike.

“Most of them joined on one day, I’m sure you heard about that Mr. Joe?”

“Oh right.” the unicorn chuckled at the now present memory, he spoke, “I remember now, yeah. All those batponies showed up in robes and hoods. I heard their all moon worshippers.”

“Initially yes, but I believe now that most of them have met Luna, they see her as more than a goddess or object of worship. Now she is their leader, and to at least a few, their friend.”

“So... what about now? How does your day usually go?” Spike asked curiously as he leaned his arm against the counter.

Pony Joe placed his arms on the counter and leaned on them, it was a slow night and this was interesting. Atreus thought for a moment before he answered, “My day usually starts with some exercise, now that Luna has other guards I can leave her to sleep while I get up early. After my exercises I meet the Princesses for breakfast and either follow Luna or see to my own paperwork. I am in the most unique position in either of the guard forces. I am training and in charge of some units while we train new officers. Most of my day is either working or still spent with Luna. At the end of the day I maintain my equipment and go to sleep.”

“What about your free time?” Spike asked innocently.

“I don’t really have any.” Spike and Joe looked at him as if he just grew another head.

“What do you mean, your a guard, I know guards pay isn’t luxury but you are high level shouldn’t you have at least some time to spend. I mean don't you have most of your necessities covered why do you need to get so much money?” Joe was starting to doubt if anything about this guy made sense, next he was gonna say bread comes from the stars and cutiemarks are a bad name.

“I’m not payed, I have not had a need for pay. And it never came up.” the shop was silent for a a bit.

“Isn’t that, wrong? Not being payed for your work?” Spike asked Atreus confused.

“I suppose I can talk to the princesses about getting some form of pay, I will have to spend some time outside the castle after all. If only because others wish for me to come with them. And money is useful in these sort of situations.” Joe was about to butt in before Spike spoke.

“I’ll cover the doughnuts with my allowance this time then, you can get me next time around.” Pantheon nodded before Joe spoke catching both of their attentions.

“Twilight Sparkle, haven’t seen you in a long time.” the group turned to meet the group of girls standing in battered dresses and gowns. Spike ran up to Twilight.

“Hey how was it guys, you guys seemed to be enjoying yourselves from what I saw?” the group was about to answer when they found another voice enter the conversation.

“Judging by the state of their dresses I would say something happened.” the girls turned to see a familiar and distinct face, “Everything alright? Did something happen?” the group saw Pantheon, his helm and shield missing but the spear was still strapped to his back. His new armor shone with the rest and his face was one of ready concern.

“Oh! Nothing else is going to happening if that is what you are worried about, but we do have quite the story to tell.” Twilights words switch from reassurement to confusion, ”You know its good to see you but what are you doing here Atreus?”

“Oh! He was going to see you guys but I told him you were busy and so I showed him around Canterlot.” Spike jutted happily.

“Why don’t we all sit down, since the situation is either done or not urgent you can all tell us about it.”

...

“Wow that sounds like the worst night ever!” Spike exclaimed. The eight of the had settled down around a large combination of tables, chairs dragged from other tables. Each had a plate either filled fully or partially with doughnuts.

“It was!” the girls groaned, they quickly burst into laughs from their own response.

“I hope the princess won’t be too mad about us ruining the gala.” Twilight spoke and everyone except Pantheon had their expressions transform into ones of worry.

“It was not intentional, and it was exiting so she will forgive you.” Atreus reassured them, ‘she seemed keen on making the party not boring, and they accomplished that.’

“What do you mean by exiting? Why should that matter?” Rarity cut in with her own question. Before he spoke he saw Celestia entering the door and smiled.

“Ask her yourself?” the girls and Spike turned to see where he gestured with his hand.

“Princess Celestia!” the unison in their voices made it almost comedic.

“Princess! Sorry about the gala. We-“ Twilight was cut off by Celestia’s smile.

“What are you sorry for? The gala has become boring and honestly terrible, I was happy that you and your friends attended. Because that was the best gala ever! You breathed some life and character into the event.” the girls suddenly felt proud and happy, their smiles were wide. The Alicorn then turned to the grown man at the table, “Well looks like you beat me to joining the after party Atreus. I didn’t see you at the gala though? How did you know they would come here?”

“They came to myself and Spike, he was giving me a tour of Canterlot’s best locations. This shop was on the end of the list, I suppose he saved the best for last.” a chuckle came from Joe at the counter.

“Ah, well that makes sense. And here I thought you had tracking magic or something.” as if by some sort of random quirk of fate Luna burst through the door.

“Sister! I found you! I had to track your magic! Why did you leave the castle in disarray?” the girls would have laughed if they were not struck by Luna’s appearance, in both senses. She had changed in the months since they had last seen her. She grew taller, her height coming to be below Celestia but taller than most. Her mane was flowing like Celestia’s, stars floated in the strands. Her figure also seemed to change, she was totally different yet unmistakable. “Ah, hello.” her confidence suddenly gone in the face of their stares. “Good to see you all, I don’t think I did this when we met but thank you for what you did. You saved me and I’m grateful. Is there something or-“ luna was quickly bombarded with questions and attention from the six girls, most of it curious. All while Celestia and Atreus had small smiles.

...

The group was sitting at a healthy ten, all of them talking before a voice popped out fro the others. “Ah that reminds me, hey princesses is it true you guys don’t pay Atreus?” Spike asked honestly. Upon hearing this they paused before both both rubbed their temples.

“We forgot to pay him...” Luna groaned.

“The amount of paperwork and calculations...” Celestia mumbled, “so much unpayed time.”

“Thats only if he wants pay and he hasn’t asked.” Luna pointed out, they turned to the man in question who answered.

“Having some money handy could be useful in future, for buying donuts for example. You don’t have to pay for my previous time though. Just save yourselves, and myself, the work.” he mumbled the middle as to hide it some. “Oh, speaking of money. I need to purchase some costume fit clothes, would you mind Miss Rarity. This is my only set and-“ he didn’t finish the sentence as the air seemed to darken.

“You have been wearing one pair of clothes for months?” her voice was deeper if only slightly.

“The fabric has magic in it, it won’t smell or become dirty but I could use some new clothes for-“ he didn’t finish that sentence as Rarity slammed down fabric she pulled from somewhere on the table.

The lights seemed to be dimmed for a moment and her eyes were dark, hidden beneath her brow and mane, “Where are the castle’s seamstress rooms?”

Author's Note:

Tell me any errors. Thanks. One more thing,











:moustache:.

Thank you that is all