• Published 19th Oct 2019
  • 2,621 Views, 56 Comments

From Grass to Bedrock - Animatorsnake



Steve is the last Crafter, he’s built many things, he’s defeated many foes, explored as far as he could see… but there’s one thing he hasn’t done – explore another world.

  • ...
2
 56
 2,621

Chapter 3 - Royal Introductions

Equestria, Ponyville; Golden Oaks Library; Evening

Steve retold everything about himself, his world, and any other details Twilight was curious about. They would have continued to be honest and it wasn’t due to Steve being tired, but living with a baby dragon and being the protege of the princess means to have proper management of your time. With what notes she has taken already, Twilight went upstairs to get some shut-eye, the message she sent to Celestia having gotten a reply recently.

My dear Twilight,

I like you to bring this being called Steve to Canterlot, your friends can come along with you; come tomorrow morning and I’ll have my guards transport you to the castle, this “Crafter” is under an interesting situation.

From, Princess Celestia

“I guess we have to stop for now, but thank you for answering my questions, maybe once we come back from Canterlot we can do some tests relating to your powers,” said Twilight. “I had Spike set up a temporary bed downstairs for you, we’ll leave once the sun rises, goodnight Steve.”

You have a good rest too.

After that, Twilight went upstairs to her room, Steve soon went downstairs himself, holding a torch to see, Steve saw a mattress, a blanket, and some pillows. Even though Steve was in a different world, he wasn’t as trusting of sleeping in the dark, so placing a torch to light the room, Steve pulled the blanket to cover himself and laid on the bed. Unlike beds from his world, the bed of this world didn’t have that strange affect of changing night-to-day immediately, but the moment he laid down and closed his eyes, a sense of peace befell him, putting him in a deep sleep.


Equestria, Canterlot; Canterlot Castle, Luna’s Tower; Midnight

Luna’s return from her thousand year banishment had its obvious effects to all of Equestira, there was still some mistrust with her and the populace of today. This hasn’t stop her from helping those with nightmares and doing her job as princess.

Seeing as tonight – as always – she hasn’t received any petitioners, Luna decided to go through the dreamscape to find any ponies who had any nightmares and there was quite a lot in Ponyville. Most likely has to do with that spirit of chaos doing.

Luna has gone through several nightmares in Ponyville already, each involving Discord in some way. As she was finishing her latest nightmare, she was ready to head off to the next one when she noticed a particular dreamer.

Hmmm, this dreamer seems… different.

Curious Luna approaches the dreamer’s manifested entrance, unlike the dreams of those in Equestria, which took the form of that pony’s interests, their cutiemarks or personality, this dreamer was different; instead of the expected entrances, it was just a simple regular door – the door itself was made of an oak material, the handle wasn’t designed for those with hooves, and there was a cross-wooden section that was used as a glassless window.

“How particular...”

Luna used her magic to open the door and entered inside, for awhile a bright white light blinded her, then soon the light dimmed and what she saw amazed her. “By the stars...”

It was a vast open grassland, in the distance were endless forests in one direction, a desert sprinkled with cacti, dense jungles, another forest coated in snow and further beyond were mountains of varying heights. The one key similarity all of these places have was that they have a blocky look to them, even the leaves were just blocks of leaves.

In the middle of the grassland was a single hill with a single tree, she could sense the dreamer of this place there. Approaching the hill, Luna felt the grass of this strange world, the blue skies as blocky clouds gently floated by, this world was peaceful and held a sense of wonder to it.

Once she was at the top of the hill, she spotted an interesting creature, it was tall as a minotaur, wore a light blue shirt, blue jeans, and what appears to be gray footwear. He had dark brown hair, dark skin, small nose and mouth… and blue eyes. Wait a minute.

It was at that moment Luna realized her mysterious dreamer had awoken, he was gazing at her for a long while, surprisingly there was no shock in his eyes but a sort of curiosity instead. Soon he slowly moved his upper body up and began to stand to his full height, facing Luna. She realized Steve was taller than she imagined, she was nearly close to her sister’s height without including her horn.

“You are quite big… Who are you?”

The creature continued to look at Luna then at it’s surroundings, then opened it’s mouth. “Wait, wasn’t I at Twilight’s basement sleeping, how am I back in my world?”

The shock on the creature was sudden, it reached up to it’s mouth then throat. “I’m… talking… HOLY NETHER I’M TALKING!”

“Calm down, you are dreaming,” said Luna.

“I’m… dreaming?” The two look at one another, until the creature gave a thoughtful look before having a sudden realization on it’s face. “That’s right, I went to bed in the basement of Twilight’s… so I guess this must be a dream, well first time dreaming, especially in another world, no surprise something strange would happen.”

The things this creature said were strange, but instead of thinking it over she instead asked the dreamer itself. “Sorry to intrude your dream, but I am Princess Luna, Ruler of the Night, Princess of the Moon, and Watcher of Dreams. I saw signs of a strange dreamer and investigated… you mentioned young Twilight earlier, are you an acquaintance of hers?”

The creature faced Luna and paid full attention to her. “Yep, I met her after a misunderstanding, I’m staying at her place until morning… So, if this is a dream… I wonder...” The creature extended it’s hand and suddenly a cookie popped into existence.

It appears he has a good control of his own dream, he must have a very strong will to do that.

“Sweeet! LET THERE BE COOKIES!”

Like that, cookies starting popping into existence from his hands, until the creature sat down and munched on them. “Would you like one too Luna?” Luna found the creature’s somewhat odd but easy-going attitude relaxing, laying down beside him, she too floated a cookie to herself and ate it.

“Hmmmm, it has a slight cocoa flavor to them, don’t they,” said Luna.

“Yeah, thet’re made from cocoa seeds from the jungles of my home!”

Luna examined the jungle she spotted earlier and faced the creature once more. “I see, so this is your homeland… I am sorry earlier, but I haven’t gotten your name, who might you be?”

“Steve… long story, but I’m not from here...”


Some time later…

“...And that’s how I got here, in this dream, talking to you,” said Steve.

Both Luna and Steve were now sitting on some chairs and a table made by Luna, enjoying one another talk, mostly Steve explaining his recent situation of coming from another world and appearing in this one. Right now, Luna was enjoying some mushroom soup from Steve’s world that he made appear while Steve had – oddly enough – a metal bucket of milk. The milk bucket would have more milk appear with each drink Steve had.

He must have quite sturdy bones to drink that much amount of milk. “So Steve, you had quite an interesting day and seeing you will be soon coming to Canterlot soon, it would be wonderful to meet you in person.”

“Yeah, me too, though the me there than here are a little different, you’ll see what I mean once you meet me in person.”

Luna wasn’t certain what Steve met, but she had to leave soon, she still had her duties to do and luckily not a lot of time went by for the Crafter and alicorn. Standing up, Luna said her farewells and left through the same door she used to enter Steve’s dream the first time.

Steve watched his newest friend leave and decided to spend his time doing something else to past the time – build. Unlike how he regularly builds, Steve had several interesting abilities in his dream, making some certain blocks appear, he floated up to survey the area. “Now… what to make?”


Equestria, Ponyville; Golden Oaks Library; Morning

The moment the sun began to rise, Steve woke up earlier than planned by Twilight’s estimates, taking his torch back, Steve made his way back upstairs. Heading up, he noticed that Spike was up earlier today too and was cooking breakfast.

Hearing the sounds of somebody entering the kitchen, Spike turned around to find Steve there. “Oh, hey Steve, was just making breakfast, we’re going to be having pancakes seeing as you mentioned to Twilight that your omnivorous, so pancakes is one of the few things you can eat with the two of us,” said Spike.

Steve nodded in agreement to the food choice, seeing as food wasn’t ready yet, he went back to where all the books upon shelves were kept; scanning each shelf, Steve checked which book would peak his interest until he came upon an interesting book in particular. Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone, hmmm…

Finding a place to sit, Steve sat on the armchair couch and opened the book to read, later, Twilight soon woke up and as she made her way downstairs, she found Steve reading halfway though the first release of the Daring Do book series.

“I see you’re reading Daring Do, she’s amazing,” said Twilight. Steve nodded, before returning to focus solely on its pages.

Spike soon peeked into the living room to find Twilight awake now. “Oh you’re awake Twilight, well breakfast is ready,” said Spike.

Both Twilight and Steve joined Spike for breakfast, there were three types of pancakes Spike made, gem-filled pancakes for Spike, then some chocolate-chipped pancakes and plain pancakes for Steve and Twilight. While the chairs were designed for ponies, Steve managed to comfortingly sit on his, eating the pancake – mostly by hand than with the small utensils.

“Those were some delicious pancakes Spike, well we should get ready to go soon, we’re going to go to Canterlot by train with the rest of the girls. Spike you go get Rarity, I’ll head to Pinkie’s then Applejack’s, Steve if you could head to Fluttershy and ask her to get Rainbow then meet us back at the train station, we’ll all meet up there.”

Nodding, the three headed out, Steve making his way to the cottage he remembered passing yesterday which was Fluttershy’s home. Taking a better look of the place, there were small holes and birdhouses within the trees near the cottage; Steve could feel the lives of dozens of creatures nearby, all eyeing him with varying emotions, but most commonly curiosity was above it all.

Steve stood before the door to Fluttershy’s, raising his fist and knocking on it twice. At first there was no response, but after hearing the door unlocking Steve waited as the door opened slightly, peeking out was Fluttershy. Seeing who it was, the shy mare made a quiet eep but still kept the door ajar to look at Steve… well, kind of.

“Um, hello there Mr Steve… is there a reason why you’re here… not there’s anything wrong with that...”

Twilight was summoned by the leadership of this kingdom, she told me to tell you, that if you could call Rainbow Dash and to meet her and the others at the train station.

Fluttershy understood and after getting out and closing the door, she made her way to where Rainbow’s place was; seeing her leave, Steve made his way to the train station where he soon spotted everyone else except Rainbow and Fluttershy.

Waiting for the two pegasi, once they arrived everyone got on the train to Canterlot; once settled, everyone chatted with one another, this left Steve by himself as sat by himself in the train cart.

The Crafter gazed at the changing landscape, the far-reaching grass plains, the luscious forests, and magnificent mountains, all of it was there for him to witness. I wonder if they’ll let me strip mine those mountains?

“Hey Steve, hey, hey!” Turning to face the one trying to get his attention, Steve was facing Pinkie who was hopping toward him, then sitting beside him. “You were with Twilight and all and I was wondering when’s your birthday, then I want to prepare a welcome party for you after Canterlot!”

That sounds nice… but I don’t really have a birthday or rather I don’t remember when it was… time works differently in my world than it would yours… how about the day I arrived be my birthday.

“Really!? Well, I suppose making the day you came here can be your birthday,” said Pinkie.

After that talk with Pinkie, the rest of the train ride was spent silently watching the landscape change until the train finally reached its destination. Slowing to a stop, Twilight, her friends, and Steve made their way to Canterlot Castle, the citizens of Canterlot stared at Steve, some curious, while the usual response was for ponies to snootily bring their snouts up.

Steve was just as curious as the ponies who gazed at him, examining the surrounding city of its various buildings, the mix of white marble, gold and purple roof tiles and windows made an interesting site to the Crafter.

Reminds me of when I used nether quartz to make blocks of quartz that one time… made a small shrine out of the stuff… don’t know why though, just felt like it.

As they neared the castle, a pair of guards stationed at the gates to the castle saw the group approaching, one of the guards spoke to Twilight, looking at Steve than back at her. “Hello Miss Twilight, we know about your visit to the castle today, but might I ask who’s that with you?”

“Oh, he was also called to come and meet the princess, he’s a friend,” said Twilight.

The guard nodded and gestured to his fellow guard to open the gate and as the guard reached for a lever for the gate to open. Once it fully opened, the group headed toward the castle, following Twilight as she knew the way to the throne room.

Reaching the giant doors of the throne room, the doors opened and entering inside, they saw Celestia with Luna beside her. Standing before the throne, Celestia stood up from her throne and approached her student.

“Twilight my dear, so glad to see you,” said Celestia, giving her a wing hug.

“You too princess, I also brought my friends and Steve too,” said Twilight.

Seeing everyone here, Celestia invited everyone to enjoy some tea in the royal gardens, heading there, the group sat around a table with the garden just outside.

“So Mr Steve, while my student has explained so far about what you are and your current situation… I like to ask you my own questions if you are alright with that,” said Celestia, sipping a cup of tea.

Steve nodded, as he pulled out his journal and was ready to start writing down his responses.

First off, your abilities remind me to another reality-bending being… by any chance do you think a being called Discord summoned you here and have you ever encountered him before?

Don’t know who this Discord is, but I was brought by a strange rainbow portal, nobody by the name of Discord brought me to your world.

Seeing as her suspicions of Steve being a result of Discord’s shenanigans being answered, she didn’t have to worry that this was another one of his tricks. Moving on, how far does your abilities extend exactly, what exactly can and can’t you do?

Well, I know I can still do what I usually do back in my world, but so far I still know as far what you know; I had the ability to store items in what I like to call my personal storage, I can stack blocks to a certain extent – in my world – and if I stack three blocks on top each other and break the lower two, the third one will stay afloat – unless it’s gravel, sand, or something.

Interesting, you mentioned to my student that you have a strange ability to come back upon death to the place you slept or… the place you first “awoken” within your world. Do you think it’s possible you can do the same here?

Steve stayed quiet or stopped writing as he gazed at the blank page of his journal, until he continued to write. “While that is an interesting question… I don’t think I would like to test that theory, there are other things I can do that requires certain items. When drinking cow’s milk, I can cure myself of any and all kinds of affects – poison, withering, negative potion effects, and so on – though I can only do so with an iron bucket oddly enough. Another interesting ability is when I sleep in a bed-

“Hold on, you didn’t mention this to me, I remember you could come back upon death when sleeping in a bed, but what else can you do?” asked Twilight.

Well, I can change the time, specifically if it’s night, I just go to sleep and it’s morning immediately afterwards.

Everyone looked at Steve with varying reactions, until Spike spoke next. “Whoa… you can do that.”

“NO HE CAN’T! It didn’t change into morning when he went to bed last night, so that means he can’t do that,” said Twilight, her mane going wild.

You seem to forget that it was a bed you set up for me, not one made by me, usually items I make or interact with have a lingering affect from me. Remember when I broke a piece of your ceiling and the rest of the house didn’t collapse.

“...He does have a point Twilight, that bed wasn’t made by him and he did do the impossible that one time.” Twilight was speechless but gave up after learning that one incident with Pinkie and her Pinkie Sense.

“Well, I do have more questions but thank you for answering them, you may stay in the castle for awhile until you and your friends are ready to return home Twilight. It was nice meeting you Mr Steve, I hope you enjoy your time in our world and I’ll see if there’s a way to get you back home.”

“Thank you princess, but we’ll head home now,” said Twilight.

“Right after we do some shopping!” As Rarity headed to the market district of Catnerlot with Spike, the rest of Twilight’s friends explored Canterlot. As everyone left, Steve stayed behind as the princesses still needed to speak to him.

Yes, is there something you need princesses?

“Actually, no, but there is something we can give to you,” said Luna. Reaching with her magic, she summoned an interesting item, an amulet with the symbols of the sun and moon on it. “This here is a telepathy amulet created by myself and my sister, just for you. Having to write down on your journal can be quite time-consuming, not to mention you will run out of pages in time.”

Oh don’t worry, my journal is another item affected by my abilities, I can constantly turn a page infinitely, unless I will the book to be considered complete – free pages forever!

“That is quite a useful ability, but I believe this would be more helpful for you,” said Celestia.

Levitating the amulet to Steve, he wasn’t sure how to wear it as he wears his armor through his inventory, but looking through his inventory, he noticed a new equipment box appeared, shaped as a necklace, right beside his wear he puts his helmets on. Slapping the necklace there, soon the necklace vanished from his right blocky hand, coalescing to appear around his neck.

Seeing this, the two sisters were amazed, then the two smiled and awaited Steve to use his gift. “So, how is it?”

...Pretty fine I guess,” said – or rather thought – Steve.

Luna and Celestia heard his voice in their heads, the voice of Steve sounding exactly how Luna heard it in his dream. “It works sister, something we made together has helped our new friend,” said Luna.

“Indeed Luna. Now Steve, this necklace works by using your mind, so if you wish to speak to certain ponies, simply think who want to speak to and they’ll hear your thoughts. There is a limit of roughly three to five meters, the farther they are, the harder it is for your thoughts to reach them and the limit of those that can hear you is up to six to ten, again the more people you think of, the more it’ll sound like gibberish.”

Thank you for giving this to me, I’ll always keep it on me,” said Steve.

“Well while wearing it isn’t necessary, seeing those clothes of yours might answer as to how you handle your day-to-day activities… Might I suggest you clean up and get a fresh set of clothing here in Canterlot or ask Rarity, she’s a seamstress from Twilight’s letters,” said Celestia.

Well alright but I never worn anything else before and never taken these clothes off… they don’t really smell and I never seen them torn up before.

Another one of his abilities I see…

“Still, change your clothes Steve, I worry Rarity might ambush you and force you to change,” said Luna, giggling.

After receiving his gift, he waved goodbye to the two princesses, soon he met up with Twilight and after exploring Canterlot, meeting the others at the train station and headed back to Ponyville, Steve thought of his future plans in staying in this world… and what he find and do whilst here.

Author's Note:

Steve received a wonderful gift from the princesses and the discovery that his abilities may not be as limited as he thought. With the ability to speak - mentally - Steve will soon discover more about this land he's in and more about his soon to be discovered hidden capabilities.

Thoughts/Narration/Written Messages:
Celestia
Luna
Steve