• Published 1st Oct 2019
  • 385 Views, 0 Comments

So Much More To Me - Split Scimitar



Fluttershy‘s new hobby involves studying an area’s native species and ways to protect them. Up next on her list of ecosystems: the flora, fauna, and merry weather of… Hawaii!

  • ...
 0
 385

Not Just Shy

Thanks to everybody helping out, we get loaded with an hour to play with. I use the time to zone in and take one last look at weather models. With ground power plugged in, I start my preflight inspection by checking all the lights.

Microchips takes a liking to the cockpit and asks if he can sit in the right seat. I approve as long he doesn’t touch anything for obvious reasons.

When my exterior check is done, I check to make sure everyone is settled before I make my final prep for departure. The area is cleared, the stairs are retracted, and the boarding door is closed. With no one making any additional efforts other than getting comfortable in the first class seats, I get on the horn and say,

“Alright, I know all of you want to head straight to sleep, and from all the island hopping you may know the safety features of this aircraft inside and out, but I am required by law to brief you every time, so please do direct your attention to the monitors for the following demonstration.”

Once I queue the video, I prep the cockpit for startup and clear the area again. When the video finishes, I get back on the horn and finish my spiel with,

“We’re expecting about 5 hours and 35 minutes enroute to Seattle. Weather in the Emerald City is expected to be about 57° with calm winds and a marine layer when we land. Expected high is gonna be about 71° and there’s a good chance for some sun later in the day. Once again, 5 hours 35 minutes, thanks for choosing to fly with me, welcome aboard.”

With that, I turn off the cabin lights and Initiate engine start procedure.

2 alight and stable. Let’s move up the ramp so we can avoid blasting things.

“Līhu’e traffic, Mālama ‘Āina 1, out of Sunshine, taxiing SE, correction, SW on A to runway 3, Līhu’e.”

“Lihue Airport, Lihue, HI. Automated weather observation: 1012Z. Wind 020 at 13. Visibility 10. Sky condition few 4,200, few 6,800, scattered 7,200, few 9,200. Temperature 23 Celsius. Dewpoint 19 Celsius. Altimeter 29.91. Remarks: density altitude 1,200.”

Taxi checklist/run up checklist. Combined to avoid jet blast on the ramp.

Lights: beacon, nav, taxi on.

Flight controls: free and correct: rudder, elevators, ailerons, spoilers all check.

Flaps, set to 3.

Trim, set for takeoff.

FMS: programmed, will get clearance from HCF.

Taxi and run-up checklists complete.

When I reach the hold-short for runway 3, I announce,

“Līhu’e traffic, Mālama ‘Āina 1, short of runway 3, awaiting IFR clearance.” “Honolulu Center, Mālama ‘Āina 1, IFR to Seattle-Tacoma.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, cleared to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport via Direct FRAKR, Direct ZIGIE, A331, ZAGER, A331, SEDAR, then as filed. Cross FRAKR at or below 10,000. Departure frequency will be 126.5, squawk 0126. Clearance void 30 minutes from now.”

“Cleared to SeaTac via direct FRAKR, Direct ZIGIE, A331, ZAGER, A331, SEDAR, LATAY, HAWKZ Seven Arrival. Cross FRAKR at or below 10,000. Honolulu Center 126.5, squawk 0126, void in 30 minutes, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, readback correct.”

“Talk to you soon!”

Since we’re stopped, I decide to check on all of our passengers. A quick peek and walk up the first class cabin, I close the curtain, and head back. A runway check and review of the departure procedure precedes my last call on frequency,

“Līhu’e traffic, Mālama ‘Āina 1, departing runway 3 to Seattle. Aloha ahiahi.”

Short field procedure. Hug the edge of the runway to maximize all 6,500’. Brakes set. Throttles spool up. Temps, pressures check. Advance to takeoff power.

Throttles set, release brakes, rolling.

80 knots.

V1

Rotate.

V2

Positive rate, gear up. 500 feet, heading 125. Autopilot engage.

Flaps up.

“Honolulu, Mālama ‘Āina 1, off Līhu’e, 2,800 climbing 10,000, turning heading 125.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, Honolulu Departure. Radar contact 3 miles East Lihue airport. Proceed direct ZIGIE, climb and maintain 10,000.”

“Position checks, direct ZIGIE, 10,000, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

As the FMS controls the autopilot, I monitor the airplane as we climb up to our cruising altitude of FL350.

When we reach cruising, I check my watch against the airplane’s GPS clock. Not that there’s a discrepancy, but the wrist device does a local time conversion without the extra brainwork. That said, that point is completely invalidated even with the advent of onboard WiFi that can work over water.

At our halfway reporting point, I finally break and head for the lavatory. I turn up the radio in case we get paged. Hoping we don’t, I take care of business and head back to the cockpit just as a ping from SELCAL comes in.

“Oakland, Mālama ‘Āina 1.” I page as I readjust the volume.

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, Oakland. Just wanted to let you know that you’re the only one traveling on A331 at this time. Weather reports would be appreciated.”

“Roger, right now, at 5 miles east of ZAGER, negligible turbulence, inflight visibility greater than 50 miles, no clouds within a 15 NM radius. Temperature at altitude, Flight Level 350, minus 40. Remarks: perfectly moonlight ocean night.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, roger.”

A few minutes later, I head for the galley to grab a drink. Finding the lights, I switch them to the lowest setting, which adjusts the mood lighting from purple to a mellow but still deep and bold blue, pretty much matching the shirts of the cabin crew of the airline this plane used to fly for. On the ceiling, bold fiery orange mood lighting very obviously meant to emulate lava slowly comes to life, and to my surprise not able to wake our sleeping pax.

I grab a can of Diet Coke since I can’t be bothered to find anything else, and just as I return to the cockpit, I receive a message on my LinkedIn.

Hello Mr. Scimitar,

My name is Torque Wrench. I am a mechanic who is currently pursuing her Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) certification. The reason for my inquiry is because of Ms. Applejack recommending me to you. Attached is my resume along with a letter of recommendation from my previous employer. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Torque Wrench
C: (xxx) xxx-xxxx
E: Torque.Wrench@TownOfHopeHollow.net

“A recommendation from Applejack? I have a good feeling about this one. Let’s take a look at her résumé.”

The more of it I read, the more impressed I get. “I like this girl. I’d love to meet her!”

Double checking our distance to our next reporting point, I pull out my iPad and attach my keyboard. Pulling up her LinkedIn message, I type out a reply,

Hello Ms. Wrench,

Thank you for your message. I have received your resume and eagerly reviewed it throughly. While I appreciate your very impressive resume, may I ask what kind of work you are seeking with me? I understand you are currently pursuing your Airframe/Powerplant certification, but are you inquiring about working on my automobiles, airplanes, or both?

I am very impressed with your resume, please don’t misunderstand me, and I would be honored to meet you and conduct an interview. However, I would just like some clarification on what kind of mechanic work it is you seek. Please send me your schedule and we can work from there.

Thank you very much, I look forward to meeting with you.

Sincerely,

Split Scimitar “Max”
ATP - AMEL
Commercial/Instrument - ASEL
Complex, Tailwheel, High Performance, High Altitude
Aerobatics - Advanced

Complete list of type ratings available upon request.

I tune Seattle’s ATIS in COM2, since at this time of year, I can expect some morning fog as I mentioned earlier. Of course, I’m not gonna be able to tell until I get closer to the coast, but I can’t assume anything.

“Oakland, Mālama ‘Āina 1, position report.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, Oakland, go ahead.”

“Oakland, Mālama ‘Āina 1, reporting SEDAR. Next report LATAY in 20 minutes.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, roger.”

When I finish the Diet Coke, I quickly head to the galley to dispose of it, and just as I emerge from the cockpit door, a figure is standing up at the back of the first class cabin. I take my last sip and pause in front of the cockpit door.

Just as I reach for the cabin lights, the airplane encounters a small pocket of unstable air, which sends my hand straight to the cabin lights switch. Glad it’s mood lighting and not actual blinders, I quickly flip the switch back, but in the brief time the lights illuminate, they reveal Fluttershy staring at me with a very unusual look on her face.

Not really thinking much of it, I toss my empty can, spiffy up the clothes I’m wearing, and return to the cockpit.

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, contact Seattle Center now on 125.6.”

“Over to Seattle, thanks for the help, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

“My pleasure.”

“Seattle Center, Mālama ‘Āina 1 level at FL350.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, Seattle Center, Good morning. Possible radar return 4 to 6 miles southwest of point KS06A. Coordinates 46 degrees North, 125 degrees West.”

“Standby, looks like… yes, it is us. Position checks, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, roger. Descend via the HAWKZ Seven Arrival landing north, expect ILS RWY 34C CAT II.”

“HAWKZ Seven north flow, expect ILS 34C CAT II, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

As the FMS automatically changes the autopilot bugs in accordance with the arrival procedure, I brief the arrival anyway.

“HAWKZ Seven Arrival into Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, LATAY transition, landing 34C. From LATAY, track 059° to AAYRR, MEA 12,000, then track 062° to HAWKZ, MEA 10,000. Cross HAWKZ at or above 12,000 at 270 knots. From HAWKZ, track 023° to LIINE, then track 027° to FOOTT between 10,000 and 12,000 at 250 knots. From FOOTT, track 030° to GOALZ at or above 8,000, then track 032° to SONDR, cross at 6,000 and 230 knots. Arrival brief complete.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, contact Seattle Approach on 133.65.”

“33.65, Mālama ‘Āina 1.” “Seattle Approach, Mālama ‘Āina 1, HAWKZ Seven.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, Seattle Approach, 9 miles from SONDR. Continue on the HAWKZ Seven, passing SONDR, cleared ILS RWY 34C CAT II Approach. Maintain 6,000 until established.”

“HAWKZ Seven to SONDR, then cleared ILS 34C CAT II, 6,000 until established, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

Below 230 knots, set flaps 1.

“Approach brief. ILS RWY 34C CAT II into Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. Primary navaid I-TUC Localizer on 111.7, received and verified by our equipment. Approach course inbound 344°, 9,426’ of runway available, touchdown zone elevation 387, airport elevation 432. SONDR transition: from SONDR at 6,000, intercept the localizer and expect a glide slope interception with it to LORIE, 14.2 DME on the localizer, cross at 5,000, then follow localizer to ODBOE, 11.1 LOC DME, cross at 4,000, thence to TIFYS, 6.1 DME, cross at 2,400, our glideslope intercept. If at any point prior to TIFYS, we receive the glideslope, follow glideslope to ILS SA CAT II minima of 487’ and 1200 RVR. If we pass TIFYS without interception, go missed. As this a CAT II Approach, if we cannot verify that we have touched down on runway 34C within the first 900 feet, go missed. Missed approach procedure: climb heading 345 along Seattle radial 341 to COYLA, 4.7 DME from the Seattle VOR at or above 3,000, then continue heading 345 along Seattle Radial 341 to 5,000 direct MGNUM and hold, 12.7 DME from Seattle, at the intersection of 12.7 DME from Seattle along radial 341 and Paine (PAE) radial 164. Approach brief complete.”

“Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, information Kilo. 1605Z. Wind 020 at 4. Visibility minus 1/4. RVR runway 34R 1,000 feet. Fog. Sky condition overcast 100. Temperature 3, dewpoint 1. Altimeter 29.71. ILS Runway 34C And ILS Runway 34R in use. Landing and departing runway 34C and runway 34R. Notices to Airmen: runway 16R/34L closed. Taxiway T closed. Various cranes lighted and flagged in various quadrants. Advisory: all aircraft departing from general aviation parking expect holds on the ramp due to arriving traffic. All VFR aircraft contact clearance delivery prior to taxi. Read back all runway hold short instructions. Advise on initial contact you have information Kilo.”

“Seattle Approach, Mālama ‘Āina 1 has information K.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, roger. You’re currently number 4 for runway 34C. Reduce speed to 170 knots.”

“170, Mālama ‘Āina 1.” Below 210 knots, set flaps 2.

“Seattle Approach, Southwest 3534, gone missed.”

“Southwest 3534, roger, fly the published missed.”

“Published missed, Southwest 3534.”

“And Southwest 3534, I have a specific request from tower. You ready to copy?”

“Affirm, 3534.”

“Southwest 3534, upon reaching the hold at MGNUM, can you do a continuous climb in hold to determine the top of the fog layer?”

“We can do that, Southwest 3534.”

“Southwest 3534, thank you. I appreciate that.”

“No problem!”

“Horizon 2250, contact Seattle tower now, 119.9.”

“19.9, Horizon 2250.”

“Delta 1587, maintain 170 knots.”

“170, Delta 1587.”

Below 200 knots, set flaps 3.

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, passing SONDR, contact Seattle tower, 119.9.”

“Tower at SONDR, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

With a few minutes before we reach SONDR, I tune the ATIS again.

“Seattle-Tacoma International Airport information Kilo…”

“Perfect, no changes.” “Seattle Tower, Mālama ‘Āina 1, K, 2 miles from SONDR, ILS 34C CAT II.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, Seattle tower. Are you fully established?”

“Affirm, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, roger. Runway 34C, number 2 behind a Delta 737, cleared to land.”

“Cleared to land 34C, number 2, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

“Horizon 2250, exit at H, cross runway 34R no delay, B, where are you parking?”

“H, cross 34R, parking at… C16.”

“Roger, Horizon 2250, H B, ground .7.”

“H B, contact ground, Horizon 2250.”

1000.

200.

Runway lights and ALS in sight, continue on the approach.

100.

Minimums! Minimums! Continue.

50.

40.

30.

20.

10.

Touchdown. Shy of the thousand-foot markers. 34C verified. Spoilers up, brakes on, 2 in reverse.

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, exit at F, hold short of runway 34R.”

“F exit, short of 34R, Mālama ‘Āina 1.” “On behalf of your Southern California based flight crew, welcome to Seattle. The local time is 9:02 am, with weather 40 degrees, fog, and very slight southerly winds. Please wait until we have come to a complete stop and the seat belt sign has been turned off. Baggage can be claimed planeside at the bottom of the exit door. Please wait until the all-clear has been given before claiming your baggage and please do not attempt to claim your bags before the all-clear has been given. As this is the termination of our flight, please do ensure you have all personal belongings with you. Certainly has been a pleasure serving you this past week, and we hope to see you again on a future flight. Thank you for choosing us for your travel needs, welcome to Seattle.”

Stop at the marked hold short for 34R, short of taxiway E. After landing checklist.

-Flaps, spoilers: retract.
-Strobes, landing, pulse lights: off.
-Transponder: Squawk VFR: 1200.

-Taxi instructions: F, short of runway 34R, hold short is short of E. We’ll expect a crossing of 34R, then E to B, all the way down to Q, then cross 34R again and taxi to Signature.

After landing checklist complete.

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, cross runway 34R, E B Q, hold short runway 34R. Ground .7 on B.”

“Cross 34R, E B Q short of 34R, ground on B, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

Merge onto taxiway E, all lights on crossing the runway, then lights in accordance with the after landing checklist. Right B, join the lineup for runway 34R.

“This fog is so thick, the reported RVR seems generous.”

“Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, information Lima. 1652Z. Wind 010 at 5, visibility 1/4. Fog. Sky condition overcast 100. Temperature 4, dewpoint 1, altimeter 29.72. ILS Runway 34C and Runway 34R in use. Landing and departing runway 34C and runway 34R. Notices to Airmen: runway 16R/34L closed. Taxiway T closed. Various cranes lighted and flagged in various quadrants. Advisory: all aircraft departing from general aviation parking expect holds on the ramp due to arriving traffic. All VFR aircraft contact clearance delivery prior to taxi. Read back all runway hold short instructions. Advise on initial contact you have information Lima.”

“Hawaiian 21 Heavy, Seattle tower. Visibility 1/4, no reported RVR. Can you depart under these conditions?”

“Standby, Hawaiian 21 Heavy.”

“Seattle Ground, Mālama ‘Āina 1 on B short of G, to Signature.”

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, Seattle Ground.“

A few moments later, the beauty of a Hawaiian A330 roars past us. I, though secretly breath-taken, let out a “whoo!”

When the wake dissipates and I try and peek ahead at the next departure, I breathe a sigh of relief as the fog starts to lift, or at least, around the runways.

There are now 6 aircraft ahead in the queue plus the line up and wait. Three of them are past Q, so hopefully I can sneak behind them.

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, cross runway 34R behind the departing traffic, hold short runway 34C, arriving traffic.”

“Cross 34R at Q, short of 34C, Mālama ‘Āina 1.”

Lights on across 34R, then off in accordance with the taxi checklist short of 34C.

“Mālama ‘Āina 1, cross runway 34C, Q to Signature.”

“Cross 34C to Signature, Mālama ‘Āina 1, thanks for the help!”

“You’re welcome! Great day!”

Parked. Seatbelt sign off. Shut down. Ground power on the way.

Disarm door, air stairs on the way.

Once set against the door, I give the all clear to deplane then head to the back to get the cars and bags.

One Q5 out, parked next to the stairs. All bags claimed, switcheroo. Rinse and repeat, all bags claimed. No discrepancies. All passengers can go home happy.

“How long will you be here?” The lineman asks.

“Probably about an hour or so.”

“Do you need fuel?”

“Yeah. 3,000 gallons. 1.5 a side.”

“Got it!”

“Thank you!”

After I head in and pay all my fees excluding the fuel, I grab a quick drink and find Fluttershy waiting for me in the lounge.

“Fluttershy? You don’t have to wait for me. I’m heading home once I’m done here.”

“Oh, that’s okay. I’m waiting for a call, and I’d rather take it here.”

“Oh, okay.”

“Umm, Max. Thank you so much for doing this for us.”

“You’re very welcome. It’s been a real pleasure.” I say extending my hand.

Fluttershy however, sees my hand and shakes it, but immediately pulls me into a hug.

“Thank you!” She whispers as I return the embrace.

“Glad I could be of help.” I say as I relax, almost nervous to sink my head onto hers.

Oddly though, when I prepare to let go, she doesn’t. I loosen my grip and see if she’ll follow, but still nothing.

“You’re like a pillow, Max.”

Completely broadsided by her comment, I retract in shock, which causes her to let go.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” She blushes. “I didn’t mean it like that.”

“No, no,” I insist, “it’s fine. It’s just been a long time since I’ve been called a pillow.”

“If that was offensive, I’m so sorry I said it!”

“Don’t even trip. The last person to call me a pillow was my sister. And that was when I was in middle school.”

“Aww!” She smiles brightly. “Well, you are.”

“Thank you, I appreciate that.”

“Oh, that’s my call!” She says just as her phone vibrates in her pocket.

“Aight Imma head out.”

“Come back soon! I’d love to do a weekend together or something.” She shouts before she returns to her call.

“I’d love that.” I call back as I head for the front desk to check out.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment