• Published 1st Oct 2019
  • 385 Views, 0 Comments

So Much More To Me - Split Scimitar



Fluttershy‘s new hobby involves studying an area’s native species and ways to protect them. Up next on her list of ecosystems: the flora, fauna, and merry weather of… Hawaii!

  • ...
 0
 385

No One To See, No One To Hear

*text*

“Hi Max, this is Fluttershy. Um, I hope it isn’t too much trouble, but I have something to ask you.”

“Hi Fluttershy,” I respond, “nice to talk to you. How can I be of help?”

“Hi Max. Um, I have a group that heard about your services, and I was wondering if we could fly with you, if that’s okay?”

“Absolutely! Please send me trip info.”

“Ok. I will get that to you as soon as I can. Thank you so much!”

“You’re welcome! I look forward to working with you.”

Today is a day I tend to dread but one that has to be done. I hate taking my weight and blood pressure because of excessive fat shaming that never really left. Here’s the moment of truth.

“Weight: 148.”

Not bad. Only a few more than listed on my pilot certificate and medical, which indicate 142; and more than on my drivers license, which indicates 135. Now onto the number I truly dread.

“138/75.”

“Ugh. My systolic is still high AF. At least it’s not as high as it used to be.”

A few minutes later, I take a good look at my garage. With an expedition that will surely involve some trekking, I pull some off-roaders out of my garage. I could send a Wrangler squad, but they’re studying birds, bees and flowers, not reptiles. Unfortunately, the same logic also applies to sending a G-Class platoon.

Just in case they advance book, I ask, “Hi Fluttershy, just curious, do you have any vehicle rentals covered? I can provide them if you’d like.”

Today, I make a run to the grocery store after cleaning out the fridge of expired food, leftovers forgotten, and some regrettable impulse buys resultant of grocery shopping on an empty stomach.

20 minutes after restocking my fridge, I pour myself a drink before settling in for a nice dinner of ice soup.

Just after 19:10, I finish dinner and start both the dishwasher and the washing machine. As I finish my daily gallon of water (it’s a desert thing), I start laundry and hope for a reply soon. I imagine she’s already asleep, so let’s hope I get a response before they need to leave in order to meet the minimum 4 hours notice.

Early the next morning, I wake up to find another text from Fluttershy, received at about 1 am.

“Hi Max, my group needs shuttling from Seattle to the four major Hawaiian islands: Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii. Also, my parents would like to join us across the ocean. They will be on vacation, but I’m not sure which island.”

“I can do that! When is your estimated departure date?”

“Next week, probably Friday, the 23rd.”

“Sounds good. Please keep me updated on any changes to the itinerary. Also, please ask if you will be renting vehicles or I can provide some as well. Thank you.”

A few seconds later, a response comes, “We would like to rent vehicles from you, and tentatively, our first island will be the Big Island.”

“Will there be any other pickup locations?”

“No. All of us will be leaving from Seattle.”

“Which airport will be easiest for you?”

“Seattle-Tacoma will be fine.”

“Okay! Tell your party members not to park at the garage. Your flight will be out of this address: *Signature Flight Support - SEA*”

I follow with a second text, “which island will your parents be visiting?”

“They haven’t decided yet.”

“Okay. How big is your group? So I know how many cars to bring.”

“There will be 8 of us exploring.”

“Thank you Fluttershy! I look forward to seeing you again!”

“Me too! 😊”

With a tentative departure date of Friday the 23rd, I have 3 days to get ready. A nice wholesome breakfast of 2 bananas, a mango, and an egg with turkey sausage precede my flight planning. Assuming our first stop is the Big Island, this should be a breezy breeze.

As it’s the end of February, this marks Rosalina’s transition to Maui. Since she makes quarterly trips to each office, she spends 4 months on each island overseeing their operations and filling in as a pilot should the need arise:
Maui from March-June
Kauai from July-October
Big Island from November-February

“Hey,” I text my wife, “Are you bringing more than your usual? Fluttershy chartered me for the end of the month, and lucky for us, she’s going to the Big Island.”

“No. I don’t think I’ll be bringing more than my usual.”

“Okay. Well, if you want to, I can stay a while with you. Fluttershy’s charter is for a group of hers. They’re studying the local ecosystems on each island.”

“Oh cool.”

“See you soon?”

“Yes.”

With that, I do something a little unorthodox and pack 3 Audi Q5’s for Fluttershy’s Expedition, one of which is for her parents. As for me, I do the playful thing and pack RDKL 5, one of my many Lamborghini Aventador, one of my earlier models of the type. Now it’s onto an airplane.

A group of 8, plus Fluttershy’s parents leaves us at 10 tentatively. Not that I’ll have an issue with capacity, but given that we have 4 cars in tow, I need something with range and payload.

Well, I’ve got nothing else more to do here, so I guess I can be in Seattle a day early.


“Seattle Center, Airbus 202HA level at FL360.”

“Airbus 202HA, descend via the HAWKZ Seven arrival, expect hold at KNGDM, WRUSL, or Battle Ground.”

“202HA, Roger.” “Arrival brief, HAWKZ Seven into Seattle-Tacoma; Klamath Falls transition. From Klamath Falls (LMT), track 334° at or above FL240 to KNGDM, WRUSL and Battle Ground (BTG). Then track 334° to cross PTERA at or above FL220, then track 336° to KRIEG, then on track 343° to cross HAWKZ at or above 12,000 at 270 knots. Standby for north or south flow. Descend at Mach number until we reach 280 knots, then maintain 280 knots indicated (KIAS) until slowed by the STAR, which would be… HAWKZ’s 270 knot limit.”

“Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Information Hotel. 2048Z. Wind 100 at 16. Visibility 9. Scattered 4,100, broken 5,500, overcast 11,000. Temperature 8, dewpoint 2, altimeter 30.10. ILS runway 16R and ILS runway 16L in use. Landing and departing runway 16R and runway 16L. Notices to Airmen: numerous cranes unlighted and lighted, flagged and unflagged in various quadrants. Taxiway T closed between C and P. Advisory: all VFR aircraft contact clearance delivery prior to taxi. All aircraft read back hold short instructions. Advise controller on initial contact, you have information Hotel.”

“Information H copied, south flow into SeaTac. South flow via HAWKZ Seven: from HAWKZ, track 023° to LIINE, then track 022° to PIKEZ between 12,000 and 15,000, cross at 250 knots. Then track 001° to COFAY, then track 351° to BREVE between 10,000 and 11,000, maintain 250 knots. Then track 350° to NETTZ at or above 8,000, cross at 230 knots. Then track 344° to KWEST at or above 7,000, thence to VASHN, cross at 6,000, maintain 210 knots. From VASHN, track 344°, expect radar vectors to the RNAV (RNP), ILS, or visual approach as directed by ATC. Arrival brief complete.”

“Airbus N202HA, Seattle Center. Hold as published at Battle Ground, FL220. Report established in the hold.”

“Hold as published at Battle Ground, FL220, will report established, 202HA.”

As I reprogram the autopilot for the hold, I get a text from Fluttershy.

“Hi Max. Um, would you mind coming here a day or two early? I need your help with some things.”

“I’m actually on my way to Seattle now!”

“Oh, wonderful! Thank you Max!”

“Of course, Fluttershy! I’ll text you when I land.”

“Okay.”

A few minutes later, as I shallowly intercept BTG at 22,000, I have to comply with hold speed limits, which for me is 265 knots. Setting that on autothrottle, I reach Battle Ground just as I receive further instructions.

“N202HA, descend in the hold, maintain 10,000.”

“Down to 10,000 in the hold, 202HA.”

I set the autopilot and monitor for any anomalies. In no time at all, as I complete one circuit in the hold, I report, “Seattle Center, Airbus 202HA established in the hold at Battle Ground, FL182 descending in the hold to 10,000.”

“N202HA, Roger. Portland altimeter 29.89. As there is flow into Seattle-Tacoma, can you accept a potential diversion to either Boeing or Paine?”

“Affirm, 29.89 at Portland, 202HA.”

“N202HA, roger. I’ll add that to your flight plan.”

A few minutes later, we reach 10,000, which signals me to start my descent checklist.

-Weather: checked. Will check again closer to approach.
-Arrival procedure, briefed.
-Lights: landing, wing pulse, taxi lights on below 10,000.
-Speeds: approach at 145, Vref 140, touchdown at 135. (All speeds 5 knots high in case of windshear or excessive crosswind component.)
-Spoilers: armed.

Descent checklist complete.

“Airbus 202HA, upon reaching 10,000, EFC 10 minutes.”

“10 minutes at 10,000, will report established, 202HA.”

A few minutes later, as I check on the cabin pressure, I get another text from Fluttershy.

“Hi Max, I won’t be home until later tonight. Do you want to have dinner somewhere?”

“Um, I’m not sure yet. I’m not hungry right now, and I’m stuck in a hold because of traffic. Hopefully I can get on the ground soon. I’ll let you know.”

Right after I send the text, I report, “Seattle, Airbus 202HA level at 10,000.”

“Airbus N202HA, roger. Continue on the HAWKZ Seven, thanks for holding.”

“Continuing on the HAWKZ Seven, Airbus 202HA.” Set speed 250 or below.

“N202HA, contact Seattle Center on 125.6.”

“125.6, Airbus 202HA.” “Seattle Center, Airbus N202HA, level at 10,000, HAWKZ Seven.”

“N202HA, Seattle Center, Roger. Can you accept the RNAV RNP approach for 16C?”

“Affirm, 202HA.”

“Airbus N202HA, descend via the HAWKZ Seven to VASHN, cleared RNAV RNP Z runway 16C approach, VASHN transition. Maintain 180 knots or less passing SEGAW.”

“HAWKZ Seven to VASHN, 180 or less passing SEGAW, cleared RNAV RNP Z runway 16C approach, Airbus 202HA.” “Approach brief: RNAV RNP Z RWY 16C into Seattle-Tacoma International. Primary navaid WAAS enabled GPS, free of anomalies. Approach track inbound 164°, 9,426’ of runway available. Touchdown zone elevation 430’, airport elevation 433’. VASHN transition: from VASHN, crossing at 210 knots, track 344°, descend and maintain 5,000 to RAYUU, then descending right turn to SEGAW at 3,700, cross at or below 210 knots, but we have a 180 knot speed restriction; then descending right turn to PINTR at 3,200’, continuing the descending right turn to EPUDE at 2,200. From EPUDE, track 164°, if we don’t have a glideslope or glide path, descend and maintain 1,900 to cross SODOE, our final approach fix and glideslope intercept. Thence, follow glideslope to RNP 0.12 DA of 758.’ If, at intersection of glideslope at 758’, the environment or appropriate lighting is in sight, descend to 530’, normal maneuvers and normal descent to land, otherwise go missed. Missed approach procedure, climb to cross ZIVDI at or below 2,000, then track 163° to 5,000 direct MILLT and hold, climbing in the hold as necessary. Approach brief complete.”

“Airbus 202HA, contact Seattle approach on 133.65.”

“33.65, Airbus 202HA.” “Seattle Approach, Airbus 202HA, HAWKZ Seven to VASHN, RNAV RNP 16C.”

“Airbus 202HA, Seattle Approach, Roger.”

Below 230 knots, set flaps 1.

Approaching VASHN, 210 knots or less.

“Airbus 202HA, 1 mile from VASHN, contact Seattle tower now on 119.9.”

“Over to Seattle tower, thanks for the help, Airbus 202HA.”

“Seattle-Tacoma international Airport, information Juliet. Wind 150 at 12. Visibility 10. Sky clear below 12,000. Temperature 10, dewpoint 1, altimeter 29.90. ILS runway 16L and ILS runway 16C in use. Landing and departing runway 16L and runway 16C. Notices to Airmen: numerous cranes unlighted and lighted, flagged and unflagged in various quadrants. Taxiway T closed between taxiway C and taxiway P. Advisory: all VFR aircraft contact clearance delivery prior to taxi. All aircraft read back hold short instructions. Advise controller on initial contact, you have information Juliet.”

“Seattle tower, Airbus 202HA, at VASHN, RNAV RNP Z 16C.” Reduce speed to 180.

“Airbus 202HA, Seattle tower. Confirm you have Juliet?”

“Affirm, 202HA.” Set flaps 2.

“N2HA, roger. Number 2 for landing behind an Alaska 737, report them in sight.”

“In sight, 2HA.”

“N202HA, roger. Caution Airbus A320 landing parallel 16L, number 2, runway 16C, cleared to land.”

“Cleared to land 16C, number 2, Airbus 202HA.”

Level at 5,000’, to RAYUU, below 210 knots.

Passing RAYUU, 180 knots or less to SEGAW at 3,700.

At SEGAW, lower landing gear.

At PINTR, set flaps 3.

Speed now to 160 knots. Vref 140 knots.

Crossing EPUDE, set flaps full.

“Alaska 1, exit at N, where’re you parking?”

“C9.”

“Alaska 1, cross runway 16L no delay, Ground .7.”

Rolling out of the curved portion of the approach, final descent/before landing checklist.

-Landing Gear, down.
-Flaps, full.
-Speeds: Vref 140 knots, short final 135, touchdown at 128.
-Spoilers: armed.
-Auto brakes: set to medium.
-Nosewheel steering and antiskid switch: on.

Final descent/before landing checklist complete.

Capturing the glide slope, follow it down to minimums of 758’.

1000.

100.

50.

40.

30.

20.

10.

Touchdown. Spoilers up, brakes on. 2 in reverse.

45 knots. Disengage reverse thrust.

“N2HA, continue all the way to the end, right Q, ground .7.”

“Q exit, ground .7, Airbus 202HA.” “Seattle ground, Airbus 202HA, taxi Signature.”

“Airbus 202HA, Seattle ground. Taxi Signature via Q.”

“Signature via Q, Airbus 202HA.”

A big aircraft in the extremely limited space available, I order fuel and pay a not-unusually exorbitant fee, since I’m overnighting an airliner at SeaTac.

Nevertheless, after I back out RDKL 5, I get a ramp pass before calling Fluttershy.

“Hello?”

“Hi Fluttershy, it’s Max. I just landed, so where can we meet?”

“Um, I’m at work right now. Can we meet at 1:00?”

“No problem. Just let me know when you’re available.”

“Okay.”

“Talk soon!”

“Bye Max.”

“Bye.”

Sounds like I’m pretty early, so I head for my house in Mercer Island and unwind slightly. Of course, even though I only added about 20 minutes of flight time, it is still kind of stressful having to adapt to a change in flight plan. Nevertheless, all in a day’s work.

About an hour later, after I get my daily walk in via treadmill, I have a drink and head out for a small meal when Fluttershy finally gets back to me.

“I’m on my lunch break now, so where would you like to meet me?”

“Where do you work?”

“I work at the animal shelter in Snoqualmie.”

“Snoqualmie city or Pass?”

“The city.”

“Ok! I’ll meet you at work!”

“Okay. There’s a nice Indian place I always go to. Pinkie Pie recommended it when she visited me a while back!”

“That sounds really good!“

“Perfect! Here’s my address.”

Thanks to CarPlay, I enter it in maps and it immediately syncs, and as soon as I get maps up on display, I give it a loud run through 1st, backfiring through 2nd and 3rd.

I-90 gives me no trouble, but once the last of the lanes for Seattle metro traffic close, and the highway becomes two lanes, I settle in with a nice cruise of 72 for the 45 minute drive to Snoqualmie.