• Published 1st Oct 2019
  • 712 Views, 120 Comments

Nightmare Night - Dreadnought

  • ...
2
 120
 712

Chapter 25: Sematary

Solemnly the Apples gathered at the top of the hill. Their tears mixed with the rain that fell upon that cold, October day. They looked down upon the freshly dug grave with a wooden marker.

"Ah think we all should say somethin'," said Applejack.

"Eeyup," confirmed Big Mac.

Sugar Belle began, "Though the days we shared were few, I will always treasure our time together."

Big Mac took a deep breath, "I've known her most of my life. Ah always knew this day would come, but - " He choked and couldn't finish. Sugar Belle wrapped him in a loving embrace.

It was Applejack's turn. "I love ya. Nothin' will ever change that. You made all our lives better."

Apple Bloom stepped forward, "Ah -" She wiped her eyes. "Ah - " She turned and galloped down the hill toward the farmhouse.

Applejack started to follow, but a hoof on her shoulder gave her pause. "She needs tah grieve in her own way," said Granny Smith.

"Eeyup," confirmed Big Mac.

Granny Smith turned toward the grave. "Ah remember when Pear Butter brought you home. You were the cutest puppy Ah ever laid eyes on...."

One week later...

Sugar Belle laid another stack of pancakes upon Applejack and Big Mac's plates. She glanced over to see Apple Bloom's plate still had its untouched pancakes. The shot a glance to Applejack and Big Mac.

"Apple Bloom," Applejack said, "ya need to eat yer breakfast."

"Eeyup," added Big Mac.

Apple Bloom looked at her plate. "Ah ain't hungry. Can Ah be excused?"

"Of course dear," said Granny Smith before anypony else could reply.

"Ah'm goin' to mah room," she said. Apple Bloom walked out of the kitchen with her head hung low.

Silence reigned for a long time.

Finally, Applejack said, "She's really upset."

"Eeyup."

"What are we going to do?" asked Sugar Bell.

Silence returned to the kitchen.

Later that day...

"Welcome and greetings my friend,
I hope you have some time to spend."

"Eeyup." Big Mac entered the tree, and Zecora closed the door behind him.

"Do not be meek,
Here you may speak."

"Well, Ah'm here looking for help."

"Awe, I'll see what I can do,
Please tell me what troubles you."

Big Mac sighed. "Apple Bloom's real upset over Winona. She hardly eats and is sad all the time. Ah can't stand to see her so upset. Is there a potion that will bring Winona back?"

"I do not know a brew,
Perhaps acceptance will have to do."

"Please, there must be somethin'," he pleaded.

"Legend speaks of a cemetery full of dread,
Where it is possible to raise the dead."

"Really?" he looked hopeful.

"Yes, but I advise against this act,
It is not to late to retract."

"Ah've got to do it."

"This act may bring harm,
To your family and farm...."

Later that afternoon...

Applejack pulled the wagon up the hill. Nearing the crest, she came to a dead stop. Over by the barn was Apple Bloom... playing with Winona?

She hurriedly raced over to her brother. "Is that Winona?"

"Eeyup."

"What?"

"Ah brought her back," he said simply.

"How?" she demanded.

"Ah buried her in the pet cemetery in the Everfree."

"You did what!"

"Buried her in the pet cemetery."

"You know that anything brought back is tormented and brings terrible harm upon those it loved!"

"Er - " he said guiltily.

"Did you bring anything else back to life?"

In the distance, Apple Bloom yelled, "Mama! Papa!"

Author's Note:

Writing Zecora is maddening.

Dreadnought