• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 21,283 Views, 1,681 Comments

Inner Demons - Azure Sandora



On her 21st birthday, Twilight reads a prophesy that starts a downward spiral into her own darkness.

  • ...
129
 1,681
 21,283

Chapter 7

Chapter 7: The Beginning

Rainbow Dash decided to spend the night with Pinkie Pie at the Cakes. They were both still really upset by what happened at the library, but Rainbow Dash knew that Pinkie Pie was a lot more sensitive than she was, so she was a lot more upset. Rainbow Dash was just angry at Applejack.

At the time, Rainbow Dash was resting on a small cloud she brought into Pinkie Pie's room (Pinkie was the only one to let her bring them into her room) trying not to think about it.

"Dashie?" Pinkie Pie said softly.

"What's up, Pinkie?" Rainbow Dash asked, not turning to Pinkie Pie.

"Do you really think that Twilight is evil?" Pinkie Pie asked. Rainbow Dash turned to Pinkie Pie about to ask if she was joking, but then saw just how serious she was with that question. Her mane, while it hadn't completely straightened, had lost some of it's bounce. It actually looked really nice, but the sad expression on her face took away from her beauty.

"Pinkie Pie," Rainbow Dash said getting off her cloud and walking over to her friend, "Remember when Discord attacked Ponyville, and put all of us under his weird spell? Applejack became a lier, Rarity got obsessed over a rock, you became a brooder."

Pinkie Pie giggled slightly, "I was gray," she said to herself in a child like fashion.

"Fluttershy became a bitch, and I actually deserted you guys in the middle of the fight," Rainbow Dash continued, "but Twilight fought for us. She didn't give up on us, so we can't give up on her."

"What if she does turn on us, though?" Pinkie Pie asked, "Are we really going to have to fight her?"

"Hell no!" Rainbow Dash shouted, "I don't care what Applejack and Twilight say, I'm NOT fighting my friend! I've spent more time with Twilight than anyone last year, and she doesn't have an evil bone in her body!" Pinkie Pie still seemed really upset, so Rainbow Dash wrapped a wing around her, "If it does come to that, then we'll just have to beat some sense into her."

"So we are fighting her," Pinkie Pie said sadly, looking down. Celestia, as cheerful as Pinkie Pie was normally, when she got depressed, it was a downward spiral from there.

"Perhaps," Rainbow Dash said raising Pinkie Pie's face to hers, "but not to kill her. If we do have to fight her, then I'm fighting her to save her. I just wish I had an idea of what the hell is going on. But unfortunately, the only pony who knows everything is Twilight, and I don't think we're going to get anything out of her."

"Try again!" Pinkie Pie said suddenly, shocking Rainbow Dash.

"Pinkie..."

"Please, Dashie, try to reach her! I don't want her to become our enemy!"

Rainbow Dash didn't see any reason to try again, but Pinkie Pie seemed to believe in her. Looking into her big, emotional eyes, Rainbow Dash couldn't consciously say no. She could never say no to Pinkie Pie.

"Alright," Rainbow Dash said with a sigh, "Tomorrow morning, I'll go down and talk to her."

Pinkie Pie instantly perked up, "You will?" she said happily.

"I'll do everything I can. Just, promise me that you won't stop smiling, okay?"

"It's a Pinkie Promise," Pinkie Pie said, "But you have to Pinkie Promise not to give up."

"Got it," Rainbow Dash said smiling. The two friends stood in front of each other and began doing some sort of ritual.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly! Stick a cupcake in my eye!" they said gleefully, followed by session of laughter. They embraced each other, fell to the ground, and looked into each other's eyes. As the laughter died down, Rainbow Dash's heart began to race a bit, as it often did looking at Pinkie Pie. Her eyes, her mane, her laughter, her perfect curves, all combined into what Rainbow Dash considered the perfect...

WHOA! Where was THAT coming from? Rainbow Dash instantly got up and ran over to her cloud.

"Um, see you in the morning Pinkie!" Rainbow Dash said quickly. She didn't turn to Pinkie Pie to see her expression. She just closed her eyes and tried to force the images out of her head. She wasn't...that! She couldn't be.

So why did she have such weird thoughts about Pinkie Pie?


Darkness. All she saw was darkness. She felt like she was falling down a bottomless pit of darkness and despair. She kept her eyes closed, afraid to open them.

"It's so lonely here..." Twilight said sadly, "Applejack... Fluttershy... Rainbow Dash... Pinkie Pie... Rarity... Spike... help me..."

As she said it though, the realization hit her. They wouldn't come to her aid. It was too late for her anyway. She couldn't run anymore. She couldn't hide. All she could do was fall.

"Why was I running again?" Twilight asked herself, "All of a sudden... it seems... pointless..."

You're the strongest pony in Equestria!

Trixie's voice ran in her head. Was that true? Could she really be that strong? She had never seen a pony who was as strong as her. She went up against Night Mare Moon, and if it had been a fair fight, she might have even been able to take on Discord. Not only that, but she was the Element of Magic, the strongest of the Elements of Harmony.

The more she thought about it... the more it made sense...

Princess Celestia, she was afraid of her. That was why she kept the truth from her, and why she tried to keep her in the light. Her light. She was afraid that Twilight would challenge her rule. She never had any plans for her. She never saw her as an equal. She never loved her...

And she was so sure. She was so sure that Princess Celestia loved her. If that love was fake, the what could be said about her friends?

It was you, wasn't it? You turned Princess Celestia into stone, right?

Applejack accused her. She didn't ask what happened, she was directly accused! Why would she accuse her like that?! Weren't they supposed to be friends?! She thought about the dream she had, and remembered how ALL of them were trying to kill her. The look that Applejack had that day when she accused her, it was the same look she had in the dream.

They weren't her friends. None of them. They were just as phony as Celestia! Applejack didn't even have any reservations in imprisoning her! Fluttershy and Rarity even helped her! Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie didn't help, but they didn't stop them either. In the end, they abandoned her too.

It was beginning. They would try and kill her just like in the dream.

No... she wouldn't let it get that far. She would kill them first. All of the love she had for them, and for Celestia, it was all gone. All of it, replaced with pure hatred. As she let the dark thoughts take over her mind, she felt herself fall faster and faster. In the end, she did open her eyes, and at the bottom she saw a red light. That was her destination. That light. She let that light envelope her, empower her, until she once again found herself in the basement of her library.

Now that she was awake, she reevaluated her situation. She moved her legs a bit, her feet restricted by a cold metal brace. So, that wasn't a dream. She shed tears of deep sadness and betrayal thinking of her situation. She was trembling uncontrollably. She was a fool! Thinking of trying to protect them, she made herself their prisoner. She even rigged the room so she couldn't teleport out! They could do anything they wanted to her now. Only if they could get close enough to her.

No, if that was the case then sure they wouldn't touch her, but she would still be trapped here. She needed to build up her strength so she could break out herself. But how could she do that? She couldn't leave the library right now, and all of the books she needed were upstairs.

Wait, she could do something. There was a way to get out of the library. Sure, she couldn't do it physically, but she could leave.

After all, she didn't need her body ALL the time.

She lied down on her straw bed, and took a few deep breaths, and let her body relax. After a few minutes, she felt her body vibrate with energy, she saw a large door take form in front of her. She walked through the door, and on the other side was the library basement. She turned around to confirm that it worked, and sure enough, she saw her body lying down, asleep.

Twilight nodded, and jumped into the air, flying out of the basement like a spirit. That was what she was right now, actually. By doing Astral Projection, Twilight could exit her body and fly around in the form of a spirit. In this form, she was invisible to most ponies, but dragons and highly spiritual ponies could still perceive her. She still needed to be careful.

Okay, so she was out of the library, good. But she couldn't do anything from where she was. She needed a body, but hers was trapped in the library. She flew around for a while, trying to see if there was anything she could do to fix this situation, but none of the ponies who were out and about (not many at this hour) could see her.

She then passed Trixie's trailer. She remembered how badly Trixie wanted to be her pupil. Maybe she could...

This was a huge risk. She was assuming that Trixie had just enough magic in her necessary for them to make a connection. If Trixie was serious about her potential, then this would work, but if Trixie was in fact still all talk...

It's a risk I have to take.

Twilight went into her trailer and saw Trixie inside sleeping. This could work, Twilight thought. Astral Form allowed her to enter dreams. If she could use magic still, she could actually take control of her dreams and use that to communicate with her.

Even if she isn't worthy as a pupil, she would make a good pawn. After all, blind loyalty is the best loyalty.

Twilight floated over to Trixie and allowed her horn to glow, pleased to see her magic still worked. She then pointed her horn to Trixie's head, focusing on the images she wanted to send to Trixie.


Trixie didn't know how this was, but she somehow ended up in Ponyville. There was something wrong though. The sky was dark, the streets were deserted, the whole atmosphere was wrong.

"What the hell..." Trixie said to herself as she looked around. Up ahead she saw what looked like a crowd of ponies gathered by the town square. Was there some sort of show going on? She trotted over to the crowd, immediately noticing the dark atmosphere.

"This pony has been charged with practicing dark artes here in Ponyville!" the mayor proclaimed, "We allowed her into our home, but the Elements of Harmony revealed her for the monster she is and were proud to deliver her to us! Such a vile creature mustn't be allowed to live, so it is up to us to destroy this beast ourselves!"

"Beast?" Trixie asked. She had to see this for herself, so she forced herself through the crowd. What kind of mare actually earned the title of monster.

That was when she saw it. Forced onto her hind legs by two ropes tied to her forelegs, her horn chiseled off, and standing on top of a pile of wood...

... was Twilight Sparkle...

Trixie was horrified! They were going to execute her!

"No! NO!" Trixie screamed. She then ran over to save her, but Twilight's friends actually galloped in front of her blocking her way, "What are you doing?! She's your friend!" Trixie cried out.

"That monster... isn't our friend," Rainbow Dash said sadly.

"What?" Trixie asked stepping back.

"She killed Princess Celestia," Rarity stated.

"And she planned on doing the same to us next," Fluttershy continued. Both of them barely sounded like themselves.

"We were just doing our jobs as the Elements of Harmony," Pinkie Pie said.

"I can't believe I'm hearing this!" Trixie said shaking her head, "You really think she's a monster?"

"Not think, know," Applejack stated, "We don't like this anymore than you do, but this has to be done."

This was too much for Trixie. Her friends were willing to kill her, and because she was supposed to be a monster? This didn't make any sense. Why were they doing this?! WHY?!

"TRIXIE!" Twilight cried out. Trixie looked over to her and saw the flames rising now, "HELP ME!"

"Twilight... TWILIGHT!" Trixie screamed, now trying to force her way to her, but her "friends" were blocking her, "Get OUT of my way!"

"Can't do that, Trixie!" Applejack shouted, "We can't let this monster live!"

"Stop calling her that!" Trixie shouted, "She's not a monster!"

Still Trixie pushed forward. She had to save Twilight. Even if she was the only one who cared.

"TWILIGHT! NO!" in the end though, she couldn't get to her in time. The flames rose too high. It was too late. Twilight was...


Trixie woke up with a start. For a few seconds she just sat there taking in what she just saw. Her hooves were shaking from the nightmare she just had. But it felt so real. What was that?

She looked up and almost had a heart attack. She saw a ghost! No, a spirit. But why was...

The spirit tilted its head, as if confused, but then floated to Trixie's door. It stopped and looked at Trixie. Did it want her to follow it? Trixie slowly got out of her bed, and approached the door. Sure enough, the spirit began flying off again. Was this related to that dream?

She followed the spirit back to Ponyville. Eventually it stopped by Twilight's library. Okay, now Trixie knew that it was related to her nightmare. It was pointing to the mattress in front of the door. Was there something there? Using telekinesis, she moved the mattress aside and saw a small key.

"Is this a spare key?" Trixie asked the spirit, who nodded, "You want me to go inside, don't you?"

The spirit nodded again, this time faster (was it happy?) and floated into the library. Trixie used the spare key and opened the door. Once inside, she saw the spirit making its way to the basement. This was getting scary, but Trixie had to see this through. She knew a warning when she saw it, and that's exactly what this was.

What she saw in the basement would stay with her forever. It was Twilight, lying on the floor, but all four of her legs were in shackles. Trixie watched in shock as the spirit slowly made its way to Twilight, and actually went inside her. Her eyes opened immediately and she looked up at Trixie with a saddened smile.

"Trixie," she said, "You saw me."

"That spirit... was you?" Trixie asked walking down the stairs to Twilight.

"Astral Projection," Twilight explained, "It took me a whole year to master, but it allows me to move outside of my body."

"What the hell is all of this? Why are you chained to the wall?"

"My... friends..." Twilight began.

"They did this to you?" Trixie asked. Why did they do this?

"They found out... that I was the one who petrified Princess Celestia..."

"Wait, WHAT? That was you?"

"She called me a monster! Everyone thinks I'm a monster! That's why I'm in chains now! Even my own friends!"

"You... were able to turn Princess Celestia into stone?" Trixie asked, actually amazed. Not even Princess Celestia was a match for her...

"I understand if you want me dead too, but I was hoping I could count on you to help me..." Twilight looked away.

"What do you need me to do?" Trixie asked suddenly. Twilight looked up at Trixie shocked.

"You'll... help me?" she asked, as if it were hard to believe.

"Of course! I'll never see you as a monster. I'll do anything you need me to do."

Twilight looked down for a second, but then stood up looking at Trixie, "In my room, there's a golden chest. Inside it are a number of books. I need you to get books on alchemy, conjuration, necromancy, and illusion magic. It should be obvious which books are for what."

"That sounds like... dark magic..." Trixie said slowly.

"True magic is neither light nor dark," Twilight explained, "It's just how you use it. I also am going to need to borrow your body every other day, starting in the morning."

"My... body?" Trixie asked.

"In my astral form I can possess a pony by entering their body when they're asleep, but only if that pony allows me to. You won't have any memory of the days when I'm in control, but I promise that I won't do anything to harm you, and I'll keep you posted on what happens."

"That's fine," Trixie said, clearly shocking Twilight, "I trust you. If it'll help you get out of here, then use my body as you see fit, please."

"Trixie..." Twilight said, tearing up. Trixie walked over to Twilight and hugged her.

"I'll save you, Twilight, I promise."

Trixie turned and was about to leave, but Twilight called out to her.

"Trixie, wait!" Trixie stopped and turned to Twilight, "You should leave the spare key where you found it. Just in case my friends come. I can't let them know that I let you in."

"I understand," Trixie said nodding. She then walked out of the basement, on her way to get the books she needed.


That was too PERFECT, Twilight thought when Trixie left. She didn't expect Trixie to go this far. As long as things went in the direction she needed them to go, she would be out of here in a matter of days.

"I just need to get stronger," Twilight said, "Then I can get out of here." She moved her legs again, reminding herself of her predicament, "I'll get you too... Elements of Harmony," she said allowing her eyes to glow a sinister red.