• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 21,280 Views, 1,681 Comments

Inner Demons - Azure Sandora



On her 21st birthday, Twilight reads a prophesy that starts a downward spiral into her own darkness.

  • ...
129
 1,681
 21,280

Chapter 33

Chapter 33: To the Future...

As Apple Bloom came to, she found herself in the hospital in Ponyville. She was back in an adult's body, and she was dead tired, but knew that she wasn't dead. She remembered her dream quite vividly, but then again, it wasn't really a dream, was it? But here she was, alive and well. She looked outside and saw the sun had risen. She must have been out all night or something.

"Apple Bloom?" Sweetie Belle asked from the door. Apple Bloom turned and saw her and Scootaloo standing in the doorway, both of them still adults, but neither one wearing the outfits they wore when they were working with Twilight. Sweetie Belle teared up and galloped over to Apple Bloom and hugged her, "Oh, Apple Bloom! You're alive! I thought you were..."

"Death is a choice," Apple Bloom said happily, "Jus' wasn't mah time yet," Scootaloo walked in trying to be cool, but Apple Bloom could tell she was holding in how happy she really was, "How long 're ya goin ta act like ya ain't happy ta see me?"

Scootaloo chuckled a bit and looked away, "What, ya expecting me to start crying?" but as she said that, she was tearing up. Apple Bloom laughed.

"Naw, that ain't yer style anyway. That's more of Sweetie Belle here," Apple Bloom taunted. Sweetie Belle playfully hit Apple Bloom's foreleg.

"You're one to talk. You're crying too," Sweetie Belle said. They all laughed like they hadn't laughed before in a while.

"Glad to see you are all here," Luna said walking in, "And I'm equally happy to see that you're alive and well, Apple Bloom."

"Luna," Apple Bloom said turning to the princess of the night, "How long have Ah been out."

"Not long," Luna said, "Over night, and then into the afternoon. Everyone was pleased to see that you were breathing when Twilight brought you down from Elysium."

"That's right! Twilight!" Apple Bloom sat up in her bed, "Is she okay? Did we win?"

"Yes, and yes," Luna said raising a hoof calming Apple Bloom, "Twilight is in Canterlot now resting before she stands before the high council."

"High council? Ya mean she's goin ta trial?"

"She still hurt a lot of ponies with her actions," Luna explained, "Although she didn't really mean to, the fact is that she was consciously aware of her actions."

"But nopony even really knows whut happened."

"Sadly, a few do, and the ones that do know want justice. She's going to have a fair trial in three weeks to decide what her punishment should be for her actions."

"It ain't fair though," Apple Bloom looked down. In her eyes, Twilight was just scared and confused. She wasn't a bad pony, so to condemn her was almost proving that shadow right. If they let her go to jail, they were no better than the ponies that turned their flanks on Queen Midnight.

"Hey, I hear Princess Celestia is the leading judge," Scootaloo said, "I don't think she's going to let Twilight be put away after she fought so hard to bring her back."

"Ah hope yer right," Apple Bloom said with a sigh.

"Um, Princess," Sweetie Belle began, stopping when Luna raised an eyebrow, "Oh, sorry, Luna," Luna nodded in acceptance, "You said once Apple Bloom woke up you could help us?"

"Yes, but I had to wait so you could all decide together," Luna said, "I came up with a way to return the three of you to your original ages."

"Seriously?" Scootaloo asked, "I thought we'd be stuck like this forever."

"Not at all," Luna said shaking her head, "Changing you back is relatively easy for me. However, I won't be able to change you back into adults again."

Everyone looked serious when she said that, "You mean, we'll have to stay fillies?" Sweetie Belle asked slowly.

"Until you grow up for real, yes," Luna began pacing around the room, "However, if you choose to stay as you are now, you'll slowly adapt to your lives as adults. When that happens, I won't ever be able to change you into foals again. Apple Bloom here will be the hardest to change, as she's already beginning to have very adult thoughts."

Apple Bloom looked down again, this time thinking really hard what she wanted to do, "Where's Lezard?" Apple Bloom asked softly.

"He said he was going to wait for you at your house," Luna said, "I told him of the choice I would give you, but he said he wanted to wait to see the results. I guess he didn't want to influence your decision."

Apple Bloom knew better though. He was the whole reason this was so hard for her. She knew that he loved her as much as she loved him, and that he probably didn't want to set himself up for disappointment.

"Well, what do you two want to do?" Scootaloo asked, "I mean, I can fly now. I might be able to join Dash in the Wonderbolts."

"True," Sweetie Belle said, "but we really let these powers go to our heads. Also, I kind of miss being a kid. There were a few things I still wanted to do that I can't do as an adult."

"I hear your point," Scootaloo said, "Also, it would be kind of weird having to suddenly start our lives as adults. According to Luna we'd adjust over time, but..." Scootaloo looked at Luna, "Will we remember everything that happened if we turn into foals again?"

"Not only will you have full memory, but all of the feelings you have will stay with you as well. The good news is that you get to keep your Cutie Marks, because I hear you three spent quite a lot of time trying to get them."

"Yeah, but Apple Bloom was the only one who truly earned her Cutie Mark," Scootaloo turned to look at Apple Bloom, "Speaking of which, you've been really quiet this whole time."

"Yeah, what do you think?" Sweetie Belle asked. Apple Bloom got out of her bed and walked over to the window, still unable to give them an answer. On one hoof, she knew that her sister Applejack really wanted her to be a kid again, and it was true that she was supposed to be a kid. Those were years she would never get back if she stayed a grown mare. On the other hoof though, if she went back to being a kid, she wouldn't be able to be with Lezard. She knew that her feelings for him were real, and she so wanted to be his, but was it time?

Go back to her life as a little filly and give up her future with Lezard...

Start a new life as a grown mare and turn her flank on the life she can only have as a filly...

Tough choices.

"The window is closing for you, Apple Bloom," Luna said sadly, "I don't want to push you to make a decision, but if I don't cast this spell for you soon, you won't be able to ever change back."

"I'm not going back to being a filly if she's stuck as a grown up," Scootaloo said, "I say whatever she decides to do, we all do together."

"I agree," Sweetie Belle said, "It wouldn't be fair for her to have to live life like this by herself."

"So, your call, Apple Bloom," Scootaloo said, "Continue as we are, or go back to as we were?"

"You'll make the right choice Apple Bloom," Sweetie Belle said sweetly, "You always do."

This was it. It was all riding on her. Both sides sounded good, but both sides meant a sacrifice. Either way, she'd have to lose something dear to her. Apple Bloom took a deep breath, cleared her head, and made the choice she felt was the right one.

"Between stayin an adult, or bein a kid again," Apple Bloom said, "Ah choose..."


Since there wasn't anything they could do for her at the hospital, Rarity was moved back to her house. Spike was actually prepared to go be with Twilight, but after the fight Twilight insisted that he stay with Rarity instead. He didn't leave her side for anything.

"You know, I should thank you," Spike said to Rarity, "It's thanks to you that I became the dragon I was meant to be. I always thought I was in the way before, but this time I actually helped, and it's thanks to you. I don't know if you can hear this, Rarity, but I learned a few things about myself in Tartarus. Apparently, I'm what's called an Amethyst Dragon. We're a rare breed of dragon, that can grow in two ways. One is the normal way, which... as you know very well, isn't the best way to mature. The other way is through the love of a pony. Princess Celestia wanted that pony to be Twilight, but I grew up to see Twilight as a sister. The love I needed, well, it was a different kind of love.

"But you probably already know that. I mean, I felt you. In all of my fights, I felt you right there beside me. I think you were with me. Not only that, you chose me to use the Element of Generosity in your place, when you could have chosen anyone else. That really means a lot to me. It shows me that you really trust me," Spike laughed a bit, "You know, it's funny, I never really understood your answer that day, when I tried to tell you that I had a crush on you. I didn't know if you were crying, or if the fact that we falling to our deaths at high speed had your eyes watering. I sort of gave up that day though. Well, I wouldn't say I gave up, but I didn't feel like I needed to pursue you actively anymore. You knew my feeling, and I could just imagine the answer in my head. I was happy with that. But... I don't think that's enough anymore.

"What am I saying? I'm saying that my feelings aren't a little kid crush, at least not anymore. I can't live my life without you Rarity," Spike looked down at his knees and cried a bit, "I love you. I always have, from the moment I first saw you. I know you'll wake up one day, and when you do, I'll be right here waiting for you."

He looked at her again, unsure if any of that reached her. He didn't care though, he finally got it out. If she was meant for someone else, then that was fine. He would always protect her.

Spike got up, and kissed her, this time on the mouth. As their lips touched, he felt a surge of some sort. Like something left him. He also noticed Rarity twitched. He stepped back and looked at her in silent amazement...

As her eyes slowly fluttered open...

"Spike..." she said softly with a loving smile.

"Y-you're... okay..." he asked, shaking he was so happy.

Rarity nodded, "I knew you could do it..."

For a few seconds they just looked into each others eyes, Spike unable to say anything.

"Um," Spike began once he found his voice, "I have to know. D-did you happen to hear me... when I said that I-" just like that day last year, she held her hoof to his mouth, stopping him instantly. This time however, as she smiled, Spike could clearly tell.

She was crying.

Spike smiled too, and he slowly leaned in closer, elegantly holding her up to him. Rarity put her forelegs around Spike's neck, and pulled him closer to her...

Embracing each other lovingly, they finally kissed... for real.


"Glad that's over," Rainbow Dash said to Pinkie Pie flexing her wings, "I thought it would never end." They were walking though the park near Sugar Cube Corner, which was starting to get rebuilt, thankfully.

"It's a shame that Twilight isn't here though," Pinkie Pie said sadly.

"Hey, don't worry. Once those boneheads in Canterlot realize that Twilight was possessed by some dark... whatever the hell that was, I'm sure they'll let her come back to Ponyville."

"Even though she's still an alicorn?"

"I don't really think that matters. She's still a pony, just like you and me. Sure she's going to live longer now, and she's a lot stronger, but who knows, maybe this was meant to happen. I'd like to think that somehow, all of this was a part of Princess Celestia's master plan."

"Yeah, you're right Dashie," Pinkie Pie said hopping happily now. Rainbow Dash felt better seeing Pinkie Pie happy again. She always breathed easier when she was happy.

"Pinkie Pie," Rainbow Dash said, "Promise me that you won't ever stop smiling."

"Dashie?"

"I mean it, Pinkie Pie. Your happiness means everything to me. When you stopped smiling that time, I felt lost. I didn't know what to do. As long as you're smiling, I can fly higher than any pegasus in Equestria, I know it. Promise me, Pinkie Pie-"

When Rainbow Dash turned to Pinkie Pie, she was blind sighted by a kiss right on the mouth. Pinkie Pie stepped away from Rainbow Dash smiling.

"I can promise that easily," she said brightly, "As... long as you promise to never leave my side."

"You know what," Rainbow Dash said standing in front of Pinkie Pie, "It's a Pinkie Promise."

The two of them stood on their hind legs and did their usual ritual, "Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!" they said together, followed by a fit of laughter. They held each other laughing and fell over onto the grass. As the laughter died, they look into each others eyes, but this time, Rainbow Dash didn't run away. This time, she held Pinkie Pie closer to her, silently promising to protect her and her smile no matter what.


Fluttershy looked in her closet at some of the outfits she had stowed away. So many of them she never wore, mainly because she didn't have the courage to wear them. They attracted so much attention, she wasn't sure she wanted that kind of attention. Who was she kidding, of course she wanted that attention. It was high time to let the inner wild filly out.

She looked at a leather piece she had in her closet, eyes WIDE. When did she get this?

"Um..." Fluttershy said looking at it in shock before putting it back in the closet, "Baby steps, Fluttershy. Baby steps," and she closed the closet, resolving that there was no rush to change that fast. She went to her dresser and open a drawer, taking out a pack of eye shadow. She had told herself that one day she was going to put that on. She knew how. Rarity taught her a technique that even earth ponies could use to put on make up.

Well, now was as good of a time as any.

When she was done, she looked at herself in the mirror. Spike may have said that she didn't need make up, but it certainly didn't hurt her. All she put on was dark pink eye shadow, and that pushed her from cute to hot. She posed a bit in the mirror, giving her reflection a few sultry looks, feeling more and more like the bad filly she saw in her dreams.

She looked at the door and saw Angel, who was looking at her like she grew a horn. Instantly she screamed, flew over to her bed, and held up a pillow to hide.

"Angel," Fluttershy said smiling awkwardly, "Um, what are you doing here?" he made a few noises pointing downstairs, "Oh, someone came to visit? Who is it?" Angel's response was to raise his eyebrows up and down smiling, making Fluttershy blush. She knew exactly who that meant.

She trotted downstairs, her heart racing more and more as she got closer to the living room. Macintosh was standing in the middle of her living room waiting for her, and he did a double take when he saw her.

"Wow," he said, "Ah always thought you were pretty, but Ah gotta say, right now..."

"Th-thanks," Fluttershy said turning away and blushing. Damn it, she thought, this ruined the sexy look!

"So, ya'll did it?" Macintosh asked. Fluttershy nodded.

"Did Applejack tell you that Apple Bloom is alive?" she asked.

"Eeeyup," Macintosh said with a nod. He then walked over to Fluttershy and elegantly held her hoof, "Ah wanted ta wait till everything calmed down 'fore Ah asked ya this. Remember when Ah mentioned us spendin the rest of our lives together?"

"Uh huh..." Fluttershy said. Her heart threatened to jump out of her chest she was so excited. He wasn't about to do what she thought he was about to do. He wasn't.

He knelt down in front of her. Oh God... he was.

"Fluttershy, Ah thought about ya all while ya were out there fightin, an' Ah realized that Ah don't wanna just be a coatfriend. What Ah really wanna be, is yours, completely," oh god, here it comes, "Fluttershy," he's about to ask it, HE'S ABOUT TO ASK! "Will you marry me?"

"YES!" Fluttershy shouted happily, not even second guessing herself this time, "Yes yes yes yes yes yes YES! I'll marry you!"

Macintosh's eyes were wide, "So um... Ah'm guess that's a yes?"

Rather than repeat herself (which she could have) she pushed him onto the floor and kissed him passionately. Angel would take care of things around the house for her. Right now, she wanted to be with her stallion.


Lezard waited on the porch of the Apple Family's house, looking down the path he knew Apple Bloom would be walking down. He didn't move from that spot all day. He needed to see what her answer was before he left back for Canterlot.

"Ya sure ya don't wanna come inside?" Applejack asked stepping outside, "She may be a while still."

"When you practice Chronomancy, you get accustomed to waiting," Lezard stated, "Are you sure you'll be okay if she chooses to remain an adult?"

"Are ya sure you'll be okay if she chooses ta go back ta bein a kid?"

Lezard chuckled, "Touche, m'lady."

Applejack sat down next to Lezard, "Ya know, Ah could see it in that last kiss she gave ya," Applejack said, "She's dead serious about her feelins."

"You doubted her?" Lezard asked.

"Ah guess Ah can't git over seein her as a little filly. Opposite ta you, cause ya only see her as an adult."

"Don't get me wrong, I can sort of see the child in her," Lezard admitted, "There's an innocence in her eyes that's only present in little kids. I was never proud of the way I felt about her, and I'm not going to lie and say to you that I didn't have to control myself a few times, but I won't deny my feelings for your sister. I do love her, and I don't think I will ever stop loving her."

"Even if ya saw her as a filly?" Applejack asked.

"You know what? Even if I saw her as a filly," he looked away, "Sick, I know."

"Meh," Applejack shrugged her shoulders, "Ya know who ya love. If she does choose ta go with you, ya better take care of mah little sistur."

Lexard laughed, "I will, but you better promise me that you'll take care of her if she stays with you, and give her the space she needs."

Applejack laughed too, "Yeah, Ah guess Ah do smother her a bit," she looked up at the sky, "Hey, do ya think Twilight is gonna be safe?"

"Princess Celestia assured me that Twilight would be given a fair trial. I believe it's in her favor if that's the case. The only real casualty is Miss Lulamoon, and we can argue that her death was an accident. She was only trying to protect Twilight after all."

"Yeah..." Applejack looked down, "If Ah hadn't turned mah flank on Twilight, none of this would've happened."

"We can't say that for certain," Lezard said, "She spent her entire life turning away from her darkness. The reason it turned into such a strong monster is because she resisted for so long. It was bound to explode at some point, and you yourself saw signs that it was happening."

"So ya really think that whut happened wus inevitable?"

"The longer you ignore your inner demons, the stronger they become. This whole month has been a testament of that."

Applejack nodded, and the two of them left it at that. All they could do now was wait for Apple Bloom.


"Are you sure you made the right choice?" Silver Spoon said as she walked Apple Bloom to her house, "I mean, not that I'm not happy to have you back, but you really love him."

"Ah do," Apple Bloom said seriously, "But that's eleven birthdays that Ah missed, Silver Spoon. Ah would've missed so much of mah life. This journey taught me ta really appreciate the time Ah have now, cause ya never know whut could happen to ya in the future."

"True. Hey, at least I don't have to look up at you anymore."

Apple Bloom laughed, "Yeah, that wus gettin weird actually. So, did things work out with Diamond Tiara?"

"Get this, she apologized for being such a bad friend."

"Hold up," Apple Bloom raised an eyebrow, "Diamond Tiara, apologized?" Silver Spoon nodded, "Ah think hell froze over or somethin, either that or that ain't Diamond Tiara."

"I told her that you guys got your Cutie Marks too," Silver Spoon said, "She actually looked sort of happy. Of course she turned her nose up in the air and said "it's about time", but I could tell she was happy for you."

"Maybe now we can stop hangin out in secret."

"Definitely. Do you think your friends would mind if I played with you guys sometimes?"

"Sweetie Belle said she'd even be okay hangin out with Diamond Tiara."

"Hell did freeze over," Silver Spoon looked really taken aback, but the two friends laughed afterwards. They were now close enough to see Apple Bloom's house in the distance, Lezard and Applejack sitting outside.

"Well, here Ah go," Apple Bloom said taking a deep breath.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?"

"Ah... need ta do this on mah own. Ah appreciate it though," Apple Bloom turned to Silver Spoon, "Thanks Silver Spoon. Yer a really good friend."

"You're an even better friend," Silver Spoon said, "See you tomorrow?"

"Definitely," Apple Bloom said smiling. She and Silver Spoon hugged, and then walked their separate ways. About halfway to her house, she stopped and just met Lezard's eyes from a distance. Sure enough, even as a filly, her heart still raced looking at him. Now though, there was a sadness present in her heart. She knew that this meant she and Lezard couldn't be together, and deep down, it hurt. Judging from the expression on Lezard's face, he felt the same way.

He said something to Applejack, who got up and walked inside. He then walked over to Apple Bloom. They were silent for a long time, Apple Bloom unable to look at him.

"So... this is... what you look like as a filly," Lezard said slowly. All Apple Bloom could do was nod, "I have to say, you're really cute," Apple Bloom laughed a bit, but she still wouldn't look at him, she couldn't, otherwise she'd regret her decision. She was already starting to regret it.

"Are... ya mad at me?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Not at all," Lezard said, "In fact, deep down I sort of knew you'd choose this. It's not time for you to be an adult yet. You have your whole life ahead of you."

"It's weird though. Ah still feel the same. All of the feelins Ah gained bein in an adult's body, they're still there. Why is that?"

"You didn't just grow up physically," Lezard explained, "You also grew up mentally, and spiritually. The body is just a body. True growth happens within. I'm afraid there's no spell that will fix that."

"But whut should Ah do now?" Apple Bloom asked, unable to not look at him any longer, but unable to hold in the tears either.

"Live," Lezard said kneeling down to her level, "Live your life to the fullest. You've been given a second chance, not just because you were changed back from being an adult, but you survived where you should have died. Life has gone back to normal, just like you wanted. Best of all, you're a hero. Apple Bloom, you saved Equestria. You deserve all the happiness in the world right now, and as a child, you can get the most out of that happiness."

"None of that matters ta me," Apple Bloom sobbed, "Not if Ah can't be with you. Ah still love you, Lezard. Ah don't think Ah'll ever get over you."

"Hm," Lezard looked like he was thinking, "You're... how old again? Ten, right?" Apple Bloom nodded, "Huh, ten years. I think I can handle it."

Apple Bloom stopped crying and looked at Lezard in shock, "Wait, whut 're ya-"

"I'll come up with something to make the wait more bearable. Perhaps there's a spell that stops aging for a set time. In ten years, if you still feel the same way, come to the fountain in Canterlot's town square."

"Yer... willin ta wait fer me?" Apple Bloom asked.

"When I rescued you from the stream that day, I knew that you were the one for me. I feel that there's a reason I'm a Chronomancer, and there's such a large age gap between us. I don't know how I'll do it, but I'll use my magic to either halt my aging, or go forward through time."

"Ah heard Princess Luna was talkin about time travel."

"Then I guess that's my first stop. I promise, one day if you still desire it, we will be together."

Apple Bloom didn't care about their ages at the moment. She walked over to him and kissed him, surprisingly he did not pull away, "Ah'll always want you, Lezard. Yer the only stallion for me."

"In that case, I'll see you in ten years," Lezard said getting up. He gave Apple Bloom one last smile before he walked off. As she watched him leave Ponyville, Applejack walked up to her and put a hoof on her back.

"Ya really feel fer him, don't ya?" Applejack asked, getting a nod from Apple Bloom.

"Applejack, Ah'm sorry Ah wus so harsh on ya. You were jus' bein a good sis," Apple Bloom said.

"Naw, you were right. Ah wus tryin too hard ta be a mother ta ya, an' Ah'm sorry. Yer not a little filly anymore. I can see that after all the crap ya went through, all jus ta save all of us," Applejack took off her hat and put it on Apple Bloom's head (it was a little big for her now, but the gesture meant a lot), "Ya did great, Apple Bloom. Ah'm proud of ya."

"Thanks Applejack," Apple Bloom said looking up at her big sister. They walked inside the house together, closing the door on an adventure they'd all never forget.


"So, that's what happened," Shining Armor said as Twilight explained to him everything that happened, "Twilight, I'm sorry that things turned out the way they did."

"It's okay," Twilight said, looking down, "It's not so bad. I'm completely free as long as I don't leave the castle, and the guards have been really nice to me."

"That's good," Shining Armor nuzzled Twilight lovingly, "I promise, in three weeks everything will be okay."

"I don't want to be selfish, but can you stay with me?"

"I already told Cadence that I'm staying. I'm sorry, Twilight. I hurt you, but I promise that I'll never turn away from you again."

"Oh Shining Armor," Twilight said softly, "I'm the one who should apologize. I hurt you and Cadence. I don't deserve a second chance."

"We'll let the council be the judge of that in three weeks, but it it were up to me, you'd be free right now."

Twilight leaned into her brother and closed her eyes. She missed her friends dearly, but at least she had her BBBFF with her. As she fell into a peaceful slumber, for the first time in ages...

Her sleep was nightmare free.