• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 21,280 Views, 1,681 Comments

Inner Demons - Azure Sandora



On her 21st birthday, Twilight reads a prophesy that starts a downward spiral into her own darkness.

  • ...
129
 1,681
 21,280

Chapter 24

Chapter 24: The Life and Times of Trixie Lulamoon pt. 2

It was getting later in the day, and Twilight was beginning to feel the affects of holding the sun at bay. She needed to become an alicorn soon, otherwise she would risk hurting herself from the strain.

She could still use magic, and she could still fight a bit if she needed to, but in order to hold the sun a lot of concentration was needed. Unfortunately none of her books described how ascension to an alicorn went. She knew it was possible, but how?

"Hm... I guess if it were easy everypony would be an alicorn," Twilight reasoned. She continued to look through the books she had, fully aware of the presence of another pony in the room with her, "Trixie, is that you?" Twilight asked.

"Guess again, Your Majesty," Scootaloo said mockingly behind Twilight. She didn't even need to hear the rest to know what was happening here. Just like she predicted. Scootaloo was planning to...


Trixie was walking down another hallway, thinking more about her past. She looked at herself in a mirror, her eyes going to the hat and cape she wore, and the new pony they symbolized.

It had been ten years since her failure at the school. She didn't go home, instead she decided to fend for herself. It was harder on her own, but anything was better than facing Octavia and Vinyl, telling them that she failed, and having to hear her father's mouth.

It was bad enough that she didn't feel special. She didn't need a constant reminder of it.

Sometime after failing to get into the school, Trixie joined a group of traveling performers, where she began using magic to perform. The cheers from her spells felt good. It gave her the illusion that she was special. That there was something she could do that no one else could. Once she built up enough confidence she left the performers to become her own one mare show.

They were eating it up! She was actually standing out! Everypony loved her now. But it wasn't enough. She was still struggling a bit to live. She needed to present herself as somepony really special.

That opportunity came to her when she was about eighteen. Somepony began to harass her a bit after her show was done.

"So she can use a little bit of fancy magic, lots of ponies can," the pony said, "I bet the students at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns could blow her out of the water."

That was not good to say to Trixie, who got really livid whenever somepony mentioned that school.

"How DARE you compare Trixie to those posers!" Trixie said, referring to herself in the third person (she began doing that as a habit to sound more spectacular), "Trixie is far superior to those average ponies!"

"Oh really?" the stallion harassing her asked, "Name one thing you did that no pony could have ever done."

Now the whole crowd was looking at Trixie. This was bad, she thought, she couldn't lose them now! She was great! She was powerful! She was special! She needed to come up with something fast. Something to hook the crowd-

"I defeated an Ursa Major!" the lie was out before she could even stop it, and everypony looked surprised.

"An Ursa Major?" the stallion asked, "Really?"

"Uh... yeah!" Trixie said. Hey, she was already probably going to Tartarus for that lie, might as well keep going, right? "You remember the Ursa Major that attacked Hoofington, right?" the crowd nodded, "W-well, who do you think saved that town in the first place?"

"So, it was you?" a little filly asked. Celestia, she hated what she was doing, but she was too deep in now. She had to keep it going.

"That's right," Trixie said, "It was me verses the Ursa Major, and Trixie was able to use her magic to send it away." The crowd was amazed hearing that. There was nothing they could do to refute it, so they all began clapping, "It wasn't that big of a deal. After all," Trixie stood up confidently, "Trixie is the strongest pony in Equestria."

Now the crowd was clapping, and the heckler in the audience shut up.

Good know your place.

After that lie came an entire slew of lies, claiming that she was the strongest pony in all of Equestria, saying that even Princess Celestia recognized her greatness, telling ponies that the only reason she wasn't in Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns was because she was too gifted, the list went on and on.

And she loved every second of it. If these tall tales made ponies believe she was special, then she was going to milk it for all it was worth. She spent too many years in the background. It was time for her to be in front for a change.

"I was really pitiful, wasn't I," Trixie said shamefully, "Well, that's not me anymore. Now that I have Twilight..."

CRASH!

That caught Trixie's attention. It sounded like it was coming from the throne room. That was where Twilight was!

"Twilight!" Trixie called out galloping to the throne room. She wasn't going to let anypony hurt Twilight. Whoever it was, she was going to make them wish they had never turned on Twilight.


"Are you serious?" Spike asked after hearing what Applejack said to him and Fluttershy.

"Ya'll know this has gone too far. Rarity is seriously hurt, an' now Twilight has taken away the sun," Applejack explained, "If the three of us use the chariot from before we can get there in a few hours."

"But without the other elements our only hope is too..." Fluttershy began.

"Can ya really say we got another option at this point?" Applejack asked looking at Fluttershy, who looked away in sadness, "Didn't think so. Twilight has taken this whole thing too far. She told us that this wus gonna happen."

"But..." Spike said strained.

"As the Elements of Harmony we gotta do whut's right fer Equestria," Applejack stated seriously, "Rarity passed on the role of the Element of Generosity to you, Spike, cause she knew you would do whut was right," she turned to Fluttershy, "An' yer Rarity's best friend. Ah know this is buggin ya jus' as much as me."

"But... it was Trixie... who shot... Rarity..." Fluttershy said slowly, as if trying to convince herself.

"But Twilight gave Trixie the order," Applejack said, "Face it, our friend Twilight is gone. She died in that basement an' we're the only ones who can stop her."

"I just think that we should tell the others-" Fluttershy began, but was cut off when Applejack stomped her hoof on the floor.

"Rainbow Dash an' Pinkie Pie ain't with us on this!" Applejack stated harshly, shocking Spike and Fluttershy, "Ah turned ta ya'll cause I knew ya'll were the most affected by all of this. Ah ain't askin ya'll ta fight Twilight. All Ah'm askin ya'll ta do is get me there an' hold off Trixie an' anypony else that tries ta get in the way."

"Remember though, Twilight has Princess Luna on her side as well," Fluttershy said.

"Fluttershy's right," Spike added, "Not to mention she has an entire army. We're just two ponies and a now adolescent dragon."

"We were able ta defeat that demon," Applejack reasoned.

"Only because we worked together," Fluttershy said, "All of us."

"I don't know Applejack, I don't think we should be separated right now. I do agree with you, but Rarity would insist that we use our heads in this situation, and I agree with that more," Spike stated.

"Yeah... I'm sorry Applejack," Fluttershy said sadly, "But my head isn't in the right place right now either. We should all take it easy and come up with a plan together."

With that the two of them walked off. Applejack was so frustrated with everything. No one was taking this seriously enough. Twilight was getting stronger by the second. They needed to make a move. She needed to make a move.

Even if she had to do it on her own.


Twilight ran into the throne room, trying to get away from Scootaloo's assault. When she turned around she saw Scootaloo calmly walking into the throne room after her.

"How the mighty have fallen," Scootaloo taunted, "I thought you were supposed to be the all powerful Queen of Darkness."

Twilight glared at Scootaloo, "You decided to attack me now when I was weakened," she reasoned, "You had this planned for a while, didn't you?"

"From the second I saw you holding Rarity hostage," Scootaloo admitted, "I knew that you were going to take things too far, and that at some point you would have to go."

"So you thought you could use the power that I gave you to kill me?"

"Considering some of the things I learned in your library, yeah, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do."

"You went into my library?!" Twilight asked angrily.

"I know you don't like anypony in your library. Don't worry, I didn't touch the statue, I just looked through a couple of books, and I found something quite interesting," Scootaloo smirked arrogantly.

"Oh? And what did you find?" Twilight asked.

"Information on the pony that's supposed to defeat you."

That caught Twilight's attention. There was a pony out there destined to stop her? She didn't know there was anyone who could.

"You see," Scootaloo continued, "Apparently somepony is supposed to rise to power in response to your darkness, and be the light of Equestria. They call them the "Master of Harmony" or something."

"And let me guess," Twilight said dismissively, "You think that's you?"

"I know it's me," Scootaloo said arrogantly, "Thanks to you, I have power, and I'm going to use that power to destroy you, thus saving Equestria. Once that happens, everypony will turn to me as a hero, and I'll be able to take over as Equestria's new Queen. All of this thanks to you."

"Hmph," Twilight looked away, "You disgust me."

"Oh, I disgust you?" Scootaloo asked.

"All you are is a self righteous fool who thinks that just because you have a little bit of power now your some hero," Twilight said, "Let me tell you something, nopony with your stupid ambitions is even worth the challenge."

"You sure talk big for somepony who right now is only at half of their power," Scootaloo said, "As long as you're holding the sun, you can't use your stronger spells. Also," Scootaloo tapped her visor, "You can't see my eyes through this, meaning that little hypnosis trick you have won't work on me," Scootaloo laughed, "This is too easy! I almost wish this were more of a challenge! Now Twilight," her flamethrower activated, "This won't hurt a-"

A lightning bolt shot Scootaloo to the side away from Twilight. They both turned to the side where it shot from and saw Trixie standing there. She did not look happy.

"You really shouldn't have done that, Scootaloo!" Trixie said.

"Trixie!" Twilight called out happily.

"I told you that you could count on me, Twilight," Trixie said smiling at Twilight, "I'll always fight for you."

Knowing that Trixie was there for her awakened something inside of Twilight. It was something in her heart. A spark of some sort. She felt it the second she saw Trixie come to her aid.

When she realized that Trixie truly was her...

"You really want to do this?" Scootaloo asked getting up, Trixie laughing arrogantly.

"You have the audacity to ask Trixie that?" Trixie asked, Twilight noticing that she sounded like herself from three years ago, "I'd think hard about what you're hoping to do."

"I know exactly what I'm going to do," Scootaloo said getting in a fighting stance, "and I'm not letting anypony get in my way!"

"Then you understand," Trixie said, her entire body charging with electricity, "that the only way you're going to get to Twilight is through Trixie!" she then fired another bolt of lightning at Scootaloo, knocking her through a wall, "Leave this to me Twilight," Trixie said, "I'll teach her a lesson in manners!"

Trixie then ran after Scootaloo. Twilight fell to the floor, unable to comprehend the feeling in her heart right now. Trixie was actually protecting her. Not because she was ordering her to, or out of fear of what would happen otherwise.

She was doing it out of true friendship.

* * * *

Scootaloo fell down into the hallway as Trixie walked over to her. Scootaloo got up and charged at Trixie, who threw her to the side and fired another lighting bolt at her from her horn. Scootaloo flew up in the air away from the attack, and then fired her flamethrower at Trixie, who used a electric shield blocking her attack.

"Why are you defending her?" Scootaloo asked, "You're protecting a monster and dooming all of Equestria!"

"I don't care about Equestria!" Trixie said, "All I care about is Twilight! She's the only pony I need!"

"You act like your in love with her! What's so special about her?"

Trixie looked down and thought about that question. What was Twilight to her?

(AN: The following is all after Boast Busters)

Her trip to Ponyville turned out to be a real bust, mainly because that was where she lost everything. Word spread fast that she wasn't able to send away an Ursa Minor, and that her story of defeating an Ursa Major was a lie. When that happened, ponies did their research and learned that not only had she lied about being Princess Celestia's favorite student, but she hadn't even passed the entrance exam for Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. She lost the cover of her stories, which meant her audience was gone as well.

"Presenting, the GREAT and POWERFUL..." Trixie called out getting on her stage, realizing that no one was in the audience, "Trixie?"

She moved to Canterlot, doing odd jobs to support herself. It wasn't enough to get her a house, but it was enough to get her a room at the Canterlot Inn. She stayed there for a few days to try and recover from her fall from grace, but eventually saved enough to buy a new trailer, which she brought with her in order to relearn why she loved magic.

She couldn't get that purple unicorn out of her mind though. The magic she saw her do was beyond anything she had ever seen. Trixie hoped to learn how to use magic on that level, so she searched for the greatest magic users she could have found, learning everything she could about magic.

But none of them came close to the amount of magic she saw that unicorn in Ponyville use. At the end of her first year she returned to Canterlot, now with a whole slew of spells, but still unable to display half of the power she saw the purple unicorn use.

"Who are you?" Trixie asked sitting in her room one night, "You can't be a normal pony by any standards."

Trixie felt a need to take a walk through Canterlot, and saw a party going on in the castle. Or at least, it looked like there was a party. She looked through the window of the ballroom and saw a huge commotion. Are all parties in Canterlot this crazy? Then she walked into the ballroom, the purple pony. She was wearing a really nice dress, but that wasn't the thing that struck Trixie as odd.

She saw her walking next to Princess Celestia!

Before Trixie could respond to that shock though, she saw garden animals running into the ballroom, and another pony chasing them. This pony looked absolutely insane.

"You're... going... to LOVE ME!" the pony shouted. Now Trixie knew she was insane. The Princess whispered something to the purple pony, and then she, the insane pony, and four others all ran out of the ballroom (aside from the purple pony, Trixie recognized three of the ponies there as well).

Trixie followed them all the way to the donut shop. She was about to walk in, but she stopped and hid when she saw Princess Celestia walk into the shop. Trixie watched them from a distance and heard the seven of them laughing and having fun, Princess Celestia included. Were they all friends?

She heard the purple pony's name from a distance. Twilight Sparkle. So that was her name. Trixie walked back to her trailer, resolving to get that pony to recognize her. She had to have been special. Not only did she know the Princess, but as far as Trixie knew, she might have been on a first name basis with her.

Trixie's next year was spent helping ponies in Equestria with her magic. She still tried to learn more about magic, but something was missing. She knew she could get stronger. At the end of her year, she used her new found magic to drive away an Ursa Minor from Hoofington, the same way Twilight did so a year ago.

"Thank you Trixie," the mayor said to Trixie, "You truly are the strongest pony in Equestria."

That meant a lot to Trixie, hearing that somepony thought she was powerful. She could have let it go to her head, but not this time. She knew better now.

"I appreciate the statement," Trixie said with a bow, "But I am not as powerful as you think."

"Surly there's no one-"

"There is one greater than I," Trixie admitted quickly, "And she's the one I need to see," Trixie then ran out of Hoofington, going to her trailer. With renewed spirits, Trixie looked to the sky thinking of where she needed to be.

"No one else will give me what I need," Trixie said, "The only pony who can show me the magic I want to learn is you Twilight. You have to be the one Twilight."

She spent the whole of two years obsessing over her, and in doing so, she was reminded of the pony she was as a foal. She loved magic, that was what her Cutie Mark represented. That was what made her...

Special...

"Twilight reminded me of who I am," Trixie said looking down, "She saved my life. You say that Twilight is darkness, but she's my light!" Trixie looked at Scootaloo seriously, "I'll defend that light with my life if I have to!"

"Friendship, loyalty, what a joke!" Scootaloo spat, "I threw away all of my bonds the second my best friend betrayed me and I'm better for it! Having bonds make you weak! It makes you vulnerable! I'll never be vulnerable again!"

"You may be in an adults body, but you have a lot to learn, kid," Trixie stated, making Scootaloo wince a bit, "Nopony can go far on their own! I understand that now!" she looked down shedding a few tears, "If I could see Vinyl and Octavia again, I'd tell them how much their friendship meant to me. They didn't let me be alone, but the second I threw those bonds away I became weak. Well, the bond I now have with Twilight I'll never let go of! STORM AVATAR!" Trixie shouted activating what was now her best spell, "I'll drive you out with the very power you so despise!"

"Bring it then!" Scootaloo shouted, "Let's see who's stronger, friendship, or solitude!"

The two of them charged at each other, and began their battle, both with strong opinions, and determined to prove the other wrong.


Twilight walked around trying to find Trixie and Scootaloo. She knew Trixie could beat her, but she still felt a need to be there. Unfortunately though, when she walked into the library, the pony she found waiting for her wasn't Trixie, or Scootaloo.

"Howdy, Twilight," Applejack said seriously. Twilight wasn't worried in the slightest. In fact, this was a joyful occasion.

"The Element of Honesty... come to die?" Twilight asked with an evil smile.

"Ah've come... ta end this!"

Those confused with how Applejack got there so fast, tune in to the next chapter.