• Published 25th Sep 2019
  • 10,119 Views, 40 Comments

The Real You - DivineRoyalty



Twilight tells you how much you mean to her while you sleep.

  • ...
8
 40
 10,119

The Real You

Author's Note:

Short little thing I wrote today. I hope you like it!

The style of this story, in addition to part of its setting, was inspired by an author named BradyBunch, whose page can be found here:

https://www.fimfiction.net/user/308684/BradyBunch

With that said, and without further adieu, here is the story!

Hey, Anon! I’m back from Evening Court! You wouldn’t believe some of the things that got said today, it’s almost as if --

...Oh! Shoot! You’re asleep! Did I wake you?

Phew… how you can sleep that hard, I will never understand.

Hmm. Spike is off with the Crusaders, Starlight is in Fillydelphia at a conference, Sunset is visiting the Griffonian Empire…

...We’re alone?

Oh my goodness. Ha ha! I can finally say what I’ve wanted to for so long that I haven’t mustered the courage to for years! Did I just say that out loud?

Well, that isn’t any matter, ‘cause we’re alone! Wow, that sounded weird…

Anyways. *Ahem.* Anon, I just wanted to tell you…

...Well, I guess I just wanted to say…

...What I’m TRYING to articulate is…

Grrr! This is harder than I thought, even with you asleep!

Alright. C’mon. Focus, Twi.

Anon… over these last couple of years, you have taught me quite a bit about the concept of love.

That sounds too scholarly, doesn’t it?

Shoot. Well, how about like this: “Anon, I just wanted to say I love you with all of my being and would like to court you from now until the end of time.”

No… waaaay too forward.

Oh, Celestia, why is this so hard? Why is it so hard for me to tell you that you’ve been such a great friend to me? Why is it so hard for me to tell you that every time I look at you now, my breath catches in my throat? Why is it so difficult for me to express to you that it breaks my heart when I see you being so hard on yourself for things you don’t need to be hard on yourself for? Why can’t I just tell you that?

...Oh, heh. I guess I just kind of did.

*Sigh.* Anon… I love you. I truly do, from the bottom of my heart. You are one of the kindest, sweetest, most loving individuals I have ever met. You’re funny, smart, hoofsome, and just so great to be around.

...But my oh my how much of a hard time you give yourself.

I took a peak in your journal. Yeah, I know… bad Twilight. I just couldn’t help myself after seeing how... different you had been acting lately.

Some parts were funny, I won’t lie. But, there was this one section…

...Wow, this is hard.

There was this one section where you wrote that you felt like you didn’t deserve me. You wrote that you felt like you were the lowliest creature in the land, undeserving of love or attention of any sort. You started confessing to what I can only guess is everything you’ve done wrong in your entire life, and… it brought a tear to my eye to see a tear-stain on the paper.

Anon… you mean so much to me. When it comes to how I feel about you, do you think I care that you haven’t accomplished the same things academically that I have? Do you think I care that you have made mistakes in your life?

I don’t, Anon! Because that is not what defines you! The you I know is the one who clapped and cheered and encouraged a singer who didn’t do too well the other day at the local Karaoke club! The you I know is the one who strives to become better every single day! The you I know is the one who offered to drop everything he had on his plate for the week to help Bon Bon out in the candy shop when one of her workers quit and she had a seemingly insurmountable number of orders to fill! The you I know gave the last twenty bits he had to an old traveler who didn’t have a place to stay for the night, and then bought him dinner! The you I know, Anon, is so much different than the you you seem to know…

...And the you I know, Anon, is so great. So loved. So precious. So cherished.

I love you, Anon. I love you so very much. I’ll tell you that when you’re awake some day…

Know that you are more beautiful than you know. Know that you are stronger than you let on. Know that you are courageous, wonderful, and oh-so wanted.

I don’t care that you didn’t get the same grades as me in school. I don’t care that you’ve made mistakes -- who doesn’t? I don’t care that you aren’t some superhero who has everything together and his life under complete control. I care about you, Anon. More than you’ll ever know.

Because you are my superhero. I remember quite fondly the day when I had forgotten my speech transcript back here when we were in Ponyville. I panicked, not really knowing what on Equus to do, but then you stood up and took the podium. Right there, you started a mini-speech of your own, right off the cuff with no preparation. You waved me on behind your back to go back to the castle and get the transcript, and that I did. By the time I returned, it had been fifteen minutes. For fifteen minutes did you give this speech about--whatever it was, I didn’t really catch it, but that’s not the point--so that I wouldn’t look the fool. You put yourself in the hole I dug so I wouldn’t have to. You saved me from a situation that I had created by taking the punishment that should have been mine. If that doesn’t spell “hero,” nothing will.

You’ve done this and so much else for me, Anon… please stop beating up my hero. Please… you mean too much to me.

Well, I guess it’s getting kind of late. Good night, my Prince. Yes, you are the Prince of my heart. You will be Prince over more in due time, my hero.

...But for now, we both must rest.

Good night, Anon. Sleep well.

...I love you.

Comments ( 40 )

Ooh! This is really similar to a story I wrote about Fluttershy saying those things. Is this inspired by that?

9850702
Yes indeed! I credited you as an inspiration in the author’s notes. The only reason I didn’t do it earlier was because I published this story in between classes, and was in a time crunch that made me leave out a few things initially that have been righted now.

9850895
I can't believe I missed that the first time. Thank you so much!

9850899
You didn’t. I didn’t include it in the initial publication because I had to make it to class, but I recently went back and included it when classes got out

9850900
You, sir, are awesome. I'm so glad I was an inspiration.

plot twist, Anon was awake this whole time

9850974
jokes aside, this is really sweet. I don't follow anon and his adventures around the FIMfiction community, but that didn't take away from this story at all. nice work.

9851005
Thanks so much! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

9851416
Can we have sequel pwease?

9855211
What kind of a sequel would you like? Same style? Same character? Different style and different character?

9855237
We were thinking a sequel where Anon tells Twilight what he's thinks of her and himself while she pretends to be asleep till he goes to walk out the room at which point Twilight hugs him and confesses her own feelings to stop him from leaving forever

9855265
Hmm! You, my friend, have given me an idea!

9855267 we thank you and we hope that idea blossoms into a wonderful story

Is there going to be a sequel? Cause I’m loving this story.

This was beautiful. Poetic, even.
If only I was as worthy as Anon of such praise.

9860816
Oh, my friend.

You are. Never let anyone say you aren't. I don't care what mistakes you have made. Where you've been. What you've done. You are worthy of love just as much as anyone, no matter the circumstance. You are worthful. You are treasured. You, yes, you are loved. Let not your mistakes define your future, for it is through mistakes and failures that we stride onward toward that horizon we call "success." Perfection is not attainable, but it can be striven for. We can only come closer to perfection, but we can never achieve it.

If ever there is a time you feel worthless, terrible, or nothing but a mistake, know this: You are not the sum total of your sins. You are more valuable than anything this world could ever offer.

And, because I'm a nerd, I present to you two of my favorite quotes on this subject:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
- Winston Churchill

"If a person does their best, what else is there?"
- George S. Patton Jr.

Stand tall, my friend. Peace be with you.

This story was made for me. Anon's feelings towards himself perfectly mirror my own, and having my favorite pony as the one confessing just makes this story even better. You've earned a like.

9860845
Many thanks, my friend! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

This is great. Really enjoyed it. Its earned a favourite and a spot on my Twilight book shelf. :twilightsmile:

9856738
There is one ^^

9850974
And Twilight knew it cause he normaly snores! Double plot twist!! :trollestia:

Holy Twilight this is gold and you have no idea how much I relate to and need this.


Amazing piece.

A very nice comfort story. I think we all need some comfort every now and again. :twilightsmile:

What poor homely failure wouldn't love to hear something like this, and from Equestria's hawtest nerd at that (though Sci-Twi is hawter).

This one was really sweet

I took a peak in your journal.

..."Peek". It's not a mountain or anything. Why do people mess these two up?

I reed this one every time before I go to work or I love you to improve morale so I always have a smile on my face when I get to thank you for giving me a life time direction

I absolutely LOVE this story. Its hard sometimes to find really warm and wholesome human x pony stories and I think you have a real gem on your hands :) I'll admit though I didn't actually read this one right from the get go. I heard it from Straighttohepointstudios first / :3 (amazing guy. I love his narrations) amazing work though! I love it to bits! :D

Hey Agent Fluffy, you should totally do a reading for this one-shot. Your voice is perfect and Twily-riffic for it. :twilightblush::twilightblush::twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

This was so heart warming.

I’m still here reading it once before I go to work I’m a little bit jealous how do you make this sound so beautiful

10388801
I am glad beyond words that this story has resonated with you so much!! It truly makes me happy to hear, especially in these rather... well, unhappy times. I hope it continues to give you the same kind of comfort!!

Hi I haven’t been able to sleep for almost 3 days I think it’s stress related last month I had to work 2 to 3 hours extra I even had to go work a little on the weekend and reading this story and hugging my daki is that what’s it call um a adult size pillow with fluttershy on it I finally managed to fall asleep for 7 hours so Thank you for writing such a masterpiece

here i go again reading this fic its never gets old i havnt read many of your newer fics so are there any fics like this one

Comment posted by Ambientsonar7 deleted Feb 25th, 2022

To day is one of the 2 most stressful and busy days of the year so I’m reading this once again before I go to work

Login or register to comment