• Published 25th Sep 2019
  • 4,155 Views, 110 Comments

Little Dragon Daycare - TAD2



What do parents do when they need someone to look after thier kids? Simple, they take them to Little Dragon Daycare.

  • ...
5
 110
 4,155

The Plan

When Cadance walked into the apartment, she was dressed in a short sleeve pink shirt and a pair of sweat pants with her hair done up in a ponytail. She walked over to Rainbow to see what she was watching on the TV. "Hey Rainbow, anything good on?" Asked Cadance.

Rainbow nodded as she watched a battle bot getting smashed by a hammer trap. "Shh, robot fighting." Said Rainbow as she barely noticed Cadance.

Cadance giggled at the little girls transfixed attention on the TV. She got up from the couch and walked over to Spike, he was searing the salmon in one pan and simmering a bunch of green beans in another. It smelled wonderful and it just showed that Spike was the perfect guy. Cadance giggled as she pictured seeing Spike cooking dinner for them every night, then they would spend their time together after work curled up on the couch watching TV or a movie, and when it was time for bed, she could cuddle up to him until he asked if she wanted to have some late night fun, and of course she was ready for it when they both felt like they were ready to move on to that kind of relationship.

Spike noticed that Cadance was standing still and giggling like a fool. "Man, I must be doing something right if I can get girls to giggle like that from my cooking alone." Said Spike as he started plating the food. This was enough to snap Cadance out of her giggle fit, and when she noticed that she had been like that for how long she was, she blushed. 'Oh no, he must think I'm weird.' Thought Cadance.

Spike brought three plates over to a little dinner table behind the couch where Rainbow was sitting and placed down the plates. He pulled out the remote and turned off the TV right before the match was over, this made the harpy cry. "No, I need to see who won." She looked at Spike. "Spike, please turn it back on?" Begged Rainbow.

Spike smiled. "Don't worry Dash, I paused it." Said Spike, Rainbow sighed in relief. "But the food is getting cold, so go wash your wings."

Rainbow nodded. "Can I have a soda with dinner?" Asked Rainbow.

"No, you get milk." Said Spike. "You can have a soda with the popcorn." Said Spike.

Rainbow sighed but nodded. 'One soda is better than none.' Thought Rainbow as she walked over to Spike's sink and washed her wings.

Spike looked at Cadance and looked at her. "You too." Said Spike. Cadance nodded as she was raised to wash her hands before a meal, so this was nothing new to her. "And a glass of milk as well." Ok, that was.

Cadance looked at Spike. "I'm not a kid, why do I have to have milk?" Asked Cadance.

Spike laughed. "Because I don't have any nice white wine, and your still underage."

"But I'll be 21 in two months." Said Cadance.

"And I'll be sure to throw a party for you if Pinkie doesn't throw one beforehand. But until you turn 21 you don't get to drink." Said Spike.

Cadance groaned as she really hated that about Spike, but also admired him for it, he was dead set in his rules and never let anything slide. But he still was a buzz kill when he wanted to be.

Spike noticed Cadance's sour face and chuckled. "20 years old in body, 21 in mind, but 6 at heart." Said Spike as he walked over to the fridge, he pulled out the gallon of milk and three glasses. He poured the milk and placed the cups on the table. He walked back and returned the milk, then he walked over to the sink and washed his hands.

Now that everyone was scrubbed it was time for the trio to have a nice dinner. Spike walked over to the table and looked at the dropped jaws of his two dining companions. "Yeah, I know it’s not much but it's the best I had ready on such short notice." Said Spike.

He made a Green Garlic Salmon with zucchini ribbon & mixed green salad and a bowl of roasted green beans.

Making sure to give Rainbow the largest salmon filet he had, because even at 4 years old, Rainbow could out eat a human like Cadance, or a quarter dragon like Spike, who needed to eat more than any human. But his mother was even worse than Spike, she could make a full 20 serving thanksgiving dinner last only two servings. That's why his father started to make 2 20-pound turkeys for the day. Scorpan just called it a healthy appetite, Spike calls it a dragon's appetite.

Spike looked at the little harpy staring at the salmon filet with hunger. "Well, don't just look at it, eat it." Said Spike as he grabbed his fork and started to dig in. Rainbow didn't need to be told twice as she started chowing down on the great meal. Cadance sighed as she couldn't resist the great food as well.


Once the little family was finished eating, Spike plopped Rainbow and Cadance on the couch so he could clean up the kitchen and go to his room to change out of his work clothes. Cadance looked at Rainbow, she was nowhere near as full as she could be, but that was fine, she could get filled on the popcorn. But Rainbows stomach wasn't her biggest concern right now. "Hey Rainbow, can you do me a favor?" Asked Cadance.

Rainbow looked up from Battle Bots and nodded. "Sure Cadance, what do you need?"

Cadance shook her head. "I need you to promise me that you won't tell any of the girls, and I need a Pinkie Promise."

Rainbow gulped. A Pinkie Promise was no joke, if you broke one, you had to face the wrath of an angry slime girl. "I promise, cross my slime, hope to fly, stick a cup cake in my slime eye." Said Rainbow, there was no going back now.

Cadance took a deep breath. "I have a crush on Spike." Said Cadance.

Rainbow gave Cadance a dead pan look, and for a 4-year-old that was impressive. "Really, is that it?" Asked Rainbow.

"What do you mean is that it?"

Rainbow shrugged. "What, everyone at the daycare knows you have a crush on Spike, well maybe not Rarity, but me, AJ, Pinkie, Twi, and Flutters, knew, and I bet even Celestia and Moondancer know, you don't hide it that well."

Cadance dropped her jaw at the fact that she was that open. She looked at Rainbow. "Rainbow, I'm planning to ask Spike out tonight, and I'm kinda nervous, can you help me?" Asked Cadance, completely forgetting that Rainbow was a 4-year-old and she was 20. But in her defense, they had the same amount of experience.

Rainbow nodded. "Well, when dad wants to take mom out for dinner, he always brings home a clam, and not just any clam a really big clam from the ocean. That might work for you." Said Rainbow, she was completely unaware that the clam was always just the dinner they ate at home, what made it special, was clam is Windy's favorite meal, after Rainbow was asleep and their cove had been covered, they would go out to enjoy each other's company.

Cadance sighed. 'Right she's a harpy and the real big detail, she's 4.' Thought Cadance. "That won't work, we're 100 miles from the beach." Said Cadance.

Rainbow hummed. "Well, I know a few chicks my age that gave the boys one of their feathers because they liked them." Said Rainbow.

Cadance nodded. 'Ok, better.' Thought Cadance. Harpy courtship was something Scorpan had learned long ago, it had 5 stages, the first was feathers, if you liked a harpy, you gave them one of your feathers. Two was preening each other. Third was the jump, where both Harpies tie one of their wings and link together, then jump off a cliff, if they both fly, than their pretty much married in the eyes of the harpy world, if they plummet, it pretty much means its not going to work out. Something about supporting each other. Thankfully this was always held over the ocean, so no one dropped to their death. After the jump, there was build a nest or find a cove, and lastly have an egg. There were a few other steps, but those were shared between all races. "Ok, but I don't exactly have any feathers." Said Cadance.

Rainbow sighed. "Right, and we just ate dinner, so cooking for him is not a good idea."

Cadance groaned. "How do I tell him that I think he's a great guy, someone I want to get to know outside of work, a great cook, smart, kind, cute, a playful idiot, great with kids, and a hundred other things that I don't know the words to?" Cadance sighed as she just wanted to unload her feelings. "I know how great he is, and it's plain to anyone who's met him for a second that he's someone out of a lot of leagues, especially mine. What would he say if I even get the nerve to ask him out, and if he said yes, I don't know if I could even make him happy, I'm just a normal 20-year-old, living with her parents."

Spike chuckled. "Yeah, your right on most of that, but calling you normal, that's where I draw the line." Said Spike.

Cadance gasped as she slowly turned around to look at Spike. "Um, how much of that did you hear?"

Spike smirked. "The acoustics in my place are really great, but needing a Pinkie Promise, isn't that a little overkill?" Said Spike as he took a seat on the couch with Rainbow and Cadance.

Cadance blushed hard at hearing that Spike had heard the whole thing. "But again, you, normal, that's funny." Said Spike laughing. "The only woman to stare down a Demon like it was nothing, the only woman to hold down a sharp Rainbow..." This made Rainbow blush in embarrassment. "The only woman to just accept what we do as life, I hardly call that normal. Besides, you're just as smart as me, probably even smarter, you're great with the kids and they love you just as much as they love you. You're kind, not as great a cook, but I'll teach you if you want, and 1000 other things that I don't know the word for. But normal is definitely not one of them. But there is one little problem."

"And that is?" Asked Cadance fearing the worst.

"I don't know where to take you for our date." Said Spike.

Cadance blushed at how her planned confession turned into a confessional with a 4-year-old harpy, but beggars can't be choosers. She looked at Spike. "Um... How about we go to the Tasty Treat, I kinda got free food from there for a while."

Spike shrugged. "That sounds great, but seems a little too normal for a weird pair as us. I'll talk to a friend of mine before we open, he owes me one and can probably get us a table at his place in Equestria, you good with that?" Asked Spike.

Cadance smiled as she nodded. "How fancy are we talking?" Asked Cadance.

"Just make sure you bring your A game, because I'll bring mine."

Cadance giggled. "Oh, too bad. My A game is at the cleaners, I'll just have to bring my A+ game and really knock your socks off."

Spike laughed. "It's a date then."

Cadance nodded, but then she thought of something. 'What, I was going to ask him out, how did it turn into him asking me out?' Thought Cadance as she was trying to wrap her head around that.

This earned a laugh from Spike. "And there is the Cadance I know." Said Spike as he looked down at the little Harpy who was a little bored at watching the adults talk. "Sorry for being so boring Rainbow. But I know the perfect way to make up for that." Said Spike as he turned the TV onto something that he knew Rainbow loved to watch.

"Today on MythBusters, the gang see if a water heater can be a rocket." Said The announcer.

Rainbow gasped as she looked at the TV in anticipation.

Spike smirked as he looked at Cadance. "Rule number 7, distractions are a useful tool when something comes up."

Cadance sighed as she looked at Spike. "Do you just pull these rules numbers at random?" Asked Cadance.

Spike shrugged. "I'll tell you during our date. Let’s watch until Rainbow see's something explode and then we can watch the Talonbolts video." Said Spike as he placed the little girl in his lap and pulled Cadance closer to him.

Cadance blushed at being so close to Spike, but she had known him for almost a year now. She snuggled closer to him out of instinct and smiled at the fact he was cool with it. 'Holy Cow, I have a date with him!' Thought Cadance as the group watched the show.


Three hours later, Spike was sitting at the table drinking a cup of coffee, while Cadance and Rainbow were passed out on the floor. The projector was off because they didn't even get halfway through the movie before Rainbow and Cadance fell asleep. Spike smiled at seeing how much his life had changed since taking over the place. Then the bell to the daycare rang. "Spike?" Yelled Bow.

Spike smiled at seeing that Bow was here, he walked over to the door and waved the male harpy into his home. Bow nodded and walked into the apartment. There he saw Cadance and Rainbow laying on the floor. Bow walked over to Spike, who had made another cup of coffee. Spike handed the coffee to the harpy. "Here." Said Spike. Bow took the coffee and took a sip. "How's Windy doing?"

Bow sighed. "She is not happy about getting darted, but when the docs looked at her wing, she quickly changed her tone. She's grounded for a week." Said Bow.

Spike sighed. "Man, that sucks, but now I'm glad I darted her." Said Spike, he rarely cursed, and when he did, he never said it in front of the kids.

Bow nodded. "Yeah, it does, but it's better than her needing to be splinted for a month."

Spike nodded. "Rainbow was a great girl tonight, but she might have a little problem with the fact that she fell asleep before the movie was done. So be ready for that."

Bow nodded. "Yeah, I'm ready for it." Said Bow as he walked over to pick up his daughter.

Bow picked up his little girl and smiled at her as he walked back to the daycare. Spike following behind. Spike looked at Bow and Rainbow. "Have a good night Bow." Said Spike as he opened the door for Bow.

"Will do Spike, have a good one." Said Bow as he carefully grabbed Rainbow in his talons and started to fly back to his cove.

Spike smiled as he watched his friend fly away. But the harpy world was cold, so he closed the door. Spike locked the door to the daycare and sighed as he walked back to his apartment and closed the door. Spike sighed as he looked at the asleep woman in his living room. She was too tired to drive back to her place. Spike walked over to his living room and carefully picked up Cadance, he walked over to his room and placed her in his bed. Spike sighed as he walked to his closet and pulled out his spare pillow, and a blanket. He brought both back to the living room and got cozy on the couch. Spike sighed. 'I hope I don't get any crap from Fancy Pants and Fleur tomorrow.' Thought Spike as he closed his eyes to go to sleep.

Author's Note:

THERE IT IS, THE FIRST DAY OF THE LITTLE DRAGON HAS COME TO AN END. Just took me 58K words and 6 months. I also know I had said i would touch upon Safron, but I decided to leave that to tomorrows pre kid freakout.