• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 2,168 Views, 156 Comments

Proximity - paperhearts



Smolder and Ocellus find hundreds of reasons to be close to one another, and hundreds of ways of making it happen. These are just a few of them.

  • ...
6
 156
 2,168

L—

(i)

Smolder had only cried once before in her life; the memory of letting her first hoard—a collection of basalt rocks that had been flecked like the night sky—being taken by another dragon still made her toes curl from embarrassment. But as her brother had advised her, after he had finished pummelling her for the stones and again for her moment of weakness, if someone steals something from you, you just hit them hard and steal it back.

And that had proved to be a simple solution to a simple problem.

Smolder knew though, the moment that they had forced her to abandon her flight, that these tears would not be solved so quickly and effectively. As she skulked in a tree like a fearful whelp, it felt as though her whole body was being ripped in two—the pony side and the dragon side—and the fragile stitches that had bound them together were unravelling under the strain. Her heart ached exactly like she knew it would, even though a dragon's really shouldn't. She could barely draw breath, her regrets and frustrations spat into the cooling air in ragged bursts. Her eyes burned, the dull pain alien and unnerving.

She had blown it. She had blown it big time. Not with Ocellus, maybe, but with herself. She couldn't say it, she couldn't even admit it, own it, despite how much she had tried. At the end of everything, she was still a dragon, still a hard, tough, uncompromising force of nature. But Ocellus had slowly made her feel something, had made her feel as though she could be something a little different, as though she didn't have to be hard and tough and uncompromising, but caring and honest and vulnerable.

And as she sat in the tree, watching the breeze harass the branches, the scent of pine taking the opportunity to escape, Smolder realised how much she wanted to be different. How much she wanted that caring and honest and vulnerable skin to be as comfortable and as natural as her own.

She straightened, ripping the nearby branches free and throwing pine cones at passing birds and squirrels, but such spiteful defences were easily scaled by the rising, frothing emotions within her. She could suddenly feel the sensation of Ocellus leaning against her, their bodies fitting together in ways that shouldn't really have worked; she could hear the wild staccato of her girlfriend's giggles, the intakes of breath whenever she discovered something new and wonderful.

And it had been she who had made Ocellus laugh, she who had discovered those things with her. Those memories, those feelings, it had been those which had bound her competing pieces together, and which, now exposed, were instead becoming the thinnest of blades. They slipped beneath her scales, jabbing and slicing in time with every heartbeat, every ragged breath.

For a few moments her blood raged against such traitorous things. She pulled back her hand and struck the trunk of the tree again and again, her claws turning it into a mass of scar tissue and oozing wounds. She continued to strike it long after her hand had become numb.

And then her fire went out.

Smolder pawed at her eyes, leaning her horns against the forgiving strength of the tree. Her lips tried to rediscover the shape of the word she had wanted to say, but it remained a stranger to them. Every time it crept close, jagged icicles formed in the pit of her stomach, and panic surged between her scales.

She was scared. By Cinderfoot's hoard, she was so scared.

Tears escaped her eyes, huddling into beads across her scales and turning the evening sunlight into something savage. Sensing an opening, Smolder's darkest fears moved to consume her.

Maybe she had changed. Maybe the terrible reality wasn't that she couldn't change, but that she would never be able to change enough.

(ii)

Ocellus had lost track of the number of times in her life that she had cried. It wasn't an act she was particularly ashamed of—sad or scary things happened, and you cried. It was simple cause and effect. Sometimes she was ashamed of the things that made her cry though. Things that no doubt seemed quite trivial to her friends, things like not having the energy to climb out of bed to face the day, or feeling so anxious about presenting her poetry to the rest of the class that she would throw up. It was still a source of shame for Ocellus just how easily she could fall apart, and how easily falling apart made her cry until her chest burned and her throat felt full of glass.

Ocellus knew though, the moment she had tried to explain to the others at the camp what had happened, that she was not going to let this become one of those moments. With barely an explanation chittered to Headmare Twilight and her friends, Ocellus pulled herself apart and into the familiar frame of a dragon, and soared above the forest in pursuit of her girlfriend.

It felt like her head had been turned into one of the battlefields that so fascinated her during history class. A part of her, desperate, unyielding and unwilling to become a single entity again now that she had tasted a union more potent than the distant echoes of her life as part of the old Changeling hive. Opposing it, the part of her that was tempered by and anchored to the world of ponies and friendship, the part of her that knew that Smolder was hurting and confused.

Because she was in love. For the first time, Smolder was in love—with her.

Ocellus scanned the treeline beneath her, a giddy flush spreading across her face. Smolder loved her. Smolder loved her. She allowed the memory of that delicious sensation to soak into her being, suddenly afraid that she would otherwise forget or reimagine it into something less genuine.

Smolder loved her. Smolder loved her. Smolder loved her.

For a moment she could feel the sensation of Smolder leaning against her, their bodies fitting together in ways that shouldn't really have worked; she could the hesitant rasp of her voice as they took turns reading the pages of novels during sunny afternoons, and she could see the flames in her eyes whenever they were separated by a chessboard.

And for the first time, Ocellus felt her own flames grow in earnest, consuming both her body and mind. She felt the determination within her that Smolder had helped to nurse into existence, and silently demanded it to grow further still.

She loved Smolder. She loved Smolder with all of her heart, and even if her girlfriend could never reciprocate those words, Ocellus wanted to be able tell her that.

A tremor passed through her body as she swooped lower, the tips of the trees tickling her feet.

She had changed—they both had. Ocellus just hoped that they hadn't changed too much.

Author's Note:

I'm busy doing literary festival stuff this weekend, but particularly during tomorrow. So this chapter is the Sunday update coming one day early.

This one went a little better than the last, in creation if not in quality, so I'm taking that as a win.

One more to go!