• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 2,168 Views, 156 Comments

Proximity - paperhearts



Smolder and Ocellus find hundreds of reasons to be close to one another, and hundreds of ways of making it happen. These are just a few of them.

  • ...
6
 156
 2,168

Study Aid

Smolder dropped the quill onto her desk and leaned back, watching the wedge of amber light steal her essay from the paper it was written on. Her neck hurt, her wrist hurt, her brain hurt. But it was done. Somehow, she had survived.

She glanced sidelong at the open window, unwilling to give the stupid essay another moment inside of her head. The sun was barely visible above the Everfree, heavy clouds masking its retreat, and the breeze carried with it the promise of rain.

The day was over, of that there was no doubt. The others had by now finished their swim at the lake, picked up some records from that shop on Saltlick Lane, and were now probably eating their body weight in cookies at Sugarcube Corner. For a moment Smolder debated the idea of joining them, but the thought quickly soured. Tapping in at the end had never been her thing; it was selfish, she knew, but you either got her company for the whole experience, or not at all. It was definitely not because she hated the sense of having to play catch up, or of feeling silly about the whole situation.

Stupid essay.

The warmth of the dorm room suddenly increased, became more complete, as Smolder felt a pair of forelegs wrap around her shoulders and neck.

"You're an idiot," she said, though there was no malice in her voice. After a moment she leaned back and felt her head brush against Ocellus' cheek.

"I'm a caring girlfriend," the changeling corrected her. "You used the wrong synonym. I think you might be grammar drunk."

"I wish I was a different drunk,' Smolder replied with a laugh. She exhaled, pushing out her frustration and allowing Ocellus' comfort and affection to fill the resulting void. "Really, though, you should have gone too."

"I've had lots of fun today." Ocellus squeezed Smolder tighter. "I got to nap, I read almost an entire book on the politics of plant life, and I got to plan my week ahead."

"Damn, and I thought I had it bad." Smolder waited a moment before angling her head and placing a kiss on the underside of Ocellus' snout. "Thank you, though. You didn't have to do this, but I... I'm glad that you were here. It felt nice not doing this alone."

Ocellus hummed, her body seeming to be taken by a nervous energy. Even from her seated position Smolder could feel the changeling's wings fluttering.

"Hey, seeing as you didn't mind spending the day indoors, how about you join me at the desk next time? You know, we could write together."

Ocellus laughed, though Smolder was sure she could feel the roll of her eyes through her embrace.

"Or maybe you could not leave it to the last minute next time? Do you want to see if we can find and join the others?"

Smolder returned her smile. "Sure, why not? We can tell them about the awesome day they missed."

And, just in case Ocellus had missed the point, she turned around and hugged her.