• Published 19th Sep 2019
  • 851 Views, 17 Comments

A Magical Issue - My Little Epona



Rainbow Dash asks Twilight for help when she doesn't know how to raise her twin foals.

  • ...
2
 17
 851

An Unexpected Occurrence

Author's Note:

Quick note: this is mostly a one-shot, so sorry if the writing isn't great :twilightsmile:. Also, all children are my own Ocs and if they resemble yours in any way I am so sorry and promise it is a total coincidence.

Chapter 1

An Unexpected Occurrence




Princess Twilight Sparkle gave a leisurely yawn.

It was early morning, and the sleepy town of Ponyville began to rub it’s eyes and awake. The sun’s pale golden light, veiled by hazy cloud cover, washed over the land, sweeping through the large windows of Twilight’s castle. She unfurled her wings, reveling in the warmth. She was reclining on a large cushion next to the dining table, waiting for her assistant, Spike, to finish making breakfast.

“It’s ready!” Spike’s cheerful voice echoed through the room as he trotted through the doors, carrying a silver platter.

“Thanks so much.” Twilight said gratefully. “It was a rough night.”

“Oh, of course.” Spike chuckled, setting the tray down in front of Twilight.

“Now, lets see….” Twilight’s horn lit up with a sparkling magenta aura, and she used her magic to lift the cover off. “Oh, you made french toast! Thanks so much—honestly, I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“Um, scream? Go insane?” Spike offered.

“Most likely.” Twilight chuckled. “Could you read today’s schedule to me?”

Spike plucked a gem from a bowl in the center of the table and tossed it into his mouth. “Fshure.” He said, spitting shards of ruby. After swallowing, he picked up a scroll from the table and unrolled it.

“Let’s see...” He mused. “Well, after breakfast you have a meeting with Mayor Mare to discuss the upcoming Ciderfest.”

“Right.” Twilight took a sip of tea. “What’s next?”

“After that, you open the newly remodeled Ponyville schoolhouse….”

“Okay, good. And then?”

“Then….oh yeah, you have it marked here for you to visit Rainbow Dash.”

“Oh, that’s right!” Twilight cried. “I want to see how she and her new foal are getting along...its her and Soarin’s first child, you see. I feel so guilty that I couldn’t see her in the hospital…..”

“It’s okay, Twilight.” Spike patted her hoof sympathetically. “You’re a busy mare, what with your royal duties and--”

“TWILIGHT!” A sudden voice called. “Watch out!”

“What?” Twilight turned to face the door, the direction in which the voice had come from. “What is--”

Something collided sharply with her head. Something hurtling towards her at a velocity that should’ve been illegal.

She let out a loud yelp, bright starbursts of pain exploding in her head, and fell over.

“Twilight!” Now she recognized the voice—it belonged to her husband, Flash Sentry. “Oh my gosh, are you okay?”

“Wha?” She said groggily. “Oh, hi. What was that?” Flash bent over her, hooking a foreleg over hers and pulling her back onto her hooves.

“It was Star Streak, of course.” He sighed. He suddenly dropped her hoof, leaping around her.

“COME HERE--” He yelled, then was cut off with a loud thunk.

Twilight turned out, slightly dizzy, and her gaze fell on Flash, who was now lying on the floor, clutching his head.

“Ow.” He said.

“Tell me about it.” Twilight agreed. “Where’d she go?”

Before Flash had a chance to answer, a loud buzzing of wings attracted her ear, and she spun around to see a little purple blur speeding for her.

“No you don’t.” She growled, and her horn lit up with a flash of magic. Now, a translucent magenta bubble hovered before her, with a little filly inside.

“Got her.” She sighed.

Star Streak was a little baby, only a few months old, but already knew how to fly. She’d mastered her wings incredibly early, and spent most of her time zigging and zagging around the castle.

The bubble popped when Twilight poked it with her horn, and Star fell into her outstretched hooves.

“You little rascal.” She half-smiled, tickling the infant’s stomach. She brushed a hoof over the tiny blue mane, trying to set it to rights. “Did you fly away from daddy again?”

“And then some.” Flash groaned, coming up next to her. “Are you sure your not related to Pinkie Pie? It was like watching a pinball machine.”

Twilight laughed, and Star gave a high-pitched baby giggle.

“Well.” Spike said, poking his head out from underneath the table. “That was certainly….exciting.”

“Interesting way to start a morning.” Flash agreed. “Want me to take her, Twi?”

“Yeah, sure.” Twilight handed off the little Pegasus to Flash. “Spike, was there anything on the schedule after Rainbow--?”

She was cut off as a burst of green fire erupted from Spike’s mouth, and a scroll spun out of the flames. Twilight caught it with her magic, breaking the seal and unfurling it.

“Oh, that’s funny.” She said, skimming the top lines. “It’s from Rainbow Dash herself. ‘We need to talk I’m coming over immediately’--wait, what? Why? Talk about what?”

She was cut off by the sound of breaking glass and a loud thud, punctuated by yells from a raspy, familiar voice.

“Rainbow!” Twilight called, distressed. “We talked about this!”

Leaving Spike, Flash, and Star in the dining room, she galloped out of the door, screeching to a stop in the hallway. Rainbow Dash sat on the floor, shaking bits of colored glass out of her mane. Behind her, one of the stained glass windows was smashed to pieces, showing the sky beyond.

“Oh. Right, sorry.” Rainbow chuckled awkwardly. “Yeah…..but you can fix it easily.”

Twilight groaned. “What did you need to talk about?” She asked.

“Oh. Right.” Rainbow’s expression changed from a sheepish smile to a look of utter terror. “I need serious help.”

“What’s going on? Is it something with your foal?”

“Yes!” Rainbow leapt lightly over the broken shards on the floor, gazing pleadingly at Twilight. “Help me!”

“I still don’t understand, Rainbow.” Twilight sighed. “Calm down and tell me what it is you need help with.”

“Okay, can we go somewhere other than the hallway?” Rainbow Dash asked, glancing around. “This...uh….isn’t a child-safe area.”

“Oh, isn’t that strange.” Twilight said sarcastically, trotting down the hallway. “I wonder why.”

“Hah. Very funny.” Rainbow rolled her eyes, following her friend.

“Hang on a second.” Twilight poked her head in the door to the dining room. Flash and Spike were both standing where she left them, but Star had gotten bored of being held and was zipping in circles over the table.

“Spike? There’s a broken window over here….” She said. “Think you could clean it up?”

“Of course.” Spike sighed. “But really, Rainbow?”

“Heh. Sorry.” Rainbow chuckled sheepishly. “Old habits die hard.”

“So I see.” Spike said in an unamused tone, trotting off to find a broom. Flash began to chase Star around, trying to catch her.

“Okay, lets talk about this problem of yours.” Twilight said, guiding Rainbow into the lounge. “What’s going on?”

“Okay, check this out.” Rainbow Dash craned her neck over, reaching for the saddlebags that Twilight suddenly noticed she was wearing.

But then, she recognized them not as saddlebags, but as special pouches designed for carrying foals. They were made with extra padding on the inside, as well as a breathable fabric that made it so that the little ones didn’t suffocate. It buckled on with an extremely secure harness which was difficult for anypony but a Unicorn to put on.

“Wait…..” Twilight said slowly. “You crashed through a window….carrying your child?”

“Um….maybe?” Rainbow looked puzzled. “Was that wrong?”

“Was….it….” Twilight struggled not to explode. “Was it…..wrong.

“Woah, calm down, Twi.” Rainbow eased her saddlebags very gently onto the floor. “I need your help.”
“Fine.” Twilight exhaled. “But this conversation isn’t over. Now what’s wrong?”

“Well….this.” Rainbow flipped open one of the bags with a hoof. A little colt tumbled out, yawning. He stretched his tiny, pale blue wings, shaking out his rainbow mane.

“Awww.” In spite of her annoyance, Twilight couldn’t help but coo over him. “He has Soarin’s coat, but your mane and eyes!”

“This is Thunder.” Rainbow slid a wing under his tiny body, lifting him gently. “But I opened the wrong saddlebag.” She flipped open the other one.

After a few second, the tiny head of a filly poked out. She had a dark blue coat and sky blue mane.

“Twins?” Twilight guessed as Rainbow lifted the filly as well. “Congratulations!”

“Thanks a lot.” Rainbow managed a wan smile, folding her wings in front of her chest to create a sort of cradle. “That’s Rainshine. But I need serious help.”

“With what, Rainbow?” Twilight groaned. “Please just tell me already.”

“With...her.” Rainbow nosed Rainshine’s mane it to shift.

“What am I….” Twilight trailed off.

Protruding from the filly’s head was a tiny, stubby horn.