• Published 6th Dec 2019
  • 1,147 Views, 23 Comments

I've seen too much (tales of love never forgotten) - Shadowlight Wanderer



A mare is saved by a dragon from the storm. Little does she know that she and her host are linked by mysterious past and more emotions than a heart can fill

  • ...
1
 23
 1,147

Chapter 4: Rivals' history

Princess Twilight Sparkle yawned as she scanned her self-made list of royal duties.

Normally, she was helped by some of the scribes or Spike, but it was Sunday and most of her court was dismissed yesterday before morning to go home for their families. As for Spike, he excused himself with some errands of his own, of rather unclear nature, but Twilight was okay with it. Time when she had to protect and take care of her little brother was long gone. Her sisterly love for the dragon reached yet another peak over the years. The regal alicorn simply couldn't believe that she was the one to hatch and partially raise the guy who was now considered as one of the physically strongest and most eligible bachelors in Equestria. It was just a bittersweet reminder of how fast time actually flew...

The throne room was almost empty if not for the single guard.

Gallus was whistling cheerfully, as flew high to the ceiling, polishing some of the ornaments of the representative room. Twilight smiled at him fondly. Blue griffon didn't have any family so he wasn't very eager to go back to the empty house (even though Twilight heard the rumour of him and Silverstream getting together). So even after all of the ponies working in the castle went home, Gallus was spending extra hours in the castle, given that his friends, new generation of the Elements, weren't bonding with him or he wasn't hanging out in some bar of Canterlot

Gallus was Twilight's former student and although they didn't share almost any worldview, Twilight was immensely grateful for his company in the late, dark hours of the night when the weight and pressure of being responsible for half of the world were getting to her the most. His help was nowadays was only outshone by Spike's.

They were both chatting about the recent events in Canterlot when they both witnessed a peculiar scene.

Rarity slowly emerged from one of the passages behind the throne pedestal, yawning and brushing her mane.

Since the summit usually lasted a up to 3-4 days, Twilight allowed Rarity to sleep in one of her royal suites. She had at least 10 large and regal bedrooms so there was no harm in that and she knew how the unicorn loved anything palatial and royalty-related.

The doors to the throne room burst opened and the grey blur of feathers cheerfully landed on the floor.

Rarity and Gabby spoke in the same time

"Twilight darling, could y-"

"Princess mail deliv-"

And then their eyes met.

As on command, they both turned around in a perfect synchronization and dashed back in the direction they came from.

Gallus scratched his head.

"What was THAT about ?"

Twilight smacked her lips

"Rarity and Gabby... they have a..." Twilight made a series of articulate hoof gestures " specific relationship. They are very good friends, but they need...emmm..."

A pause and another set of hoof gestures

"...Mental preparation before they meet. Yes, that's it. You understand, right Gallus ?"

Gallus didn't understand at all but he chose to ignore it. After all, not getting something in presence of the most scholar pony in Equestria was just another normal situation in Canterlot Castle.

*********************************

The small marble table in the gardens and two creatures sitting by it.

Rarity sipped gently her tea from the encrusted teapot. She was dressed in a light, blue dress that matched her eyes. She allowed herself a little bit of fantasy and her usually curly violet locks were now straightened, even if just a bit.

In front of her Gabby was merrily (and painfully loudly) slurping a smoothie she brought with her mail delivery. She, alongside the crusaders, grown into a pretty griffon, with her feathers having more luster than in her younger years. Her baby blue eyes were also shining, but it was rather from the endless excitement, that the mail carrier of Griffinstone was famous for.

At first glance, one could said that there were not many creatures so different. Rarity was rather careful, dignified, well-mannered, sophisticated and famous. Gabby on the other hand was a carefree spirit, energetic, extroverted, talkative and hyperactive, not paying attention to the social ladder or fame at all.

However, they shared deep feelings of loyalty and affection towards one and the same guy.

Long ago, Rarity almost ruined a friendship that Spike was developing with Gabby by manipulating the dragon to spend us much time with the unicorn as possible. She then understood the hard way that you start to value something only when it's taken from you and those experiences made her see Spike as closest of her friends, someone who she loved to spend time with and care about beyond work or just friendly meetings. But Spike's bond with Gabby remained and although there was a ceasefire between two females, the tension caused by Spike's assumed indecisiveness and their own intense feelings for him started to get unbearable.

Gabby waved a claw in front of Rarity's face

Rarity !!!! Yoooooo-hoooo !!!! Are you in there ?!!!!" she shouted and Rarity winced from the shrill.

"Y-yes darling...I just spaced out for a moment." She slightly caressed a hoof through her own mane, trying to collect her thoughts once more.

She focused on Gabby. Throughout the years, their meetings were underlined deep rivalry despite the fact that Rarity and Gabby were doing just fine as friends.

They were exchanging glances, scanning bodies and trying to read their motivation through the simple look.

Rarity sighed. She still remembered the night when she and Gabby made an agreement that was creating a fragile peace between two girls:

Five years earlier... (one month after Twilight's coronation)

Rarity opened her bloodshot eyes and slowly turned on her back to look at the clock.

2 AM

She groaned and rolled over in her spacious canopy bed.

5 hours. 5 hours of trying and still, not even a minute of sleep.

She got up and started pacing around the room.

She knew the reason of her insomnia far too well.

But even though...

"Oh sweet merciful Luna, this is ridiculous !!!" she wailed.

Rarity took a pillow from her bed and let out a scream into it.

"This is so immature ! Surely he will come back anytime...why does it even bother me so much...oh dear me, whatever will I-"

"Rarity..."

The fashionista and her cheeks quickly heated up from embarrassment when she saw Sweetie Belle, rubbing her eyes with her hooves. Throwing a tantrum, she forget that her sister was sleeping in the other room.

"Rarity, is everything alright ? You sounded super angry, loud and all...and it's the middle of the night..."

"Oh, I am so terribly sorry darling, I didn't mean to wake you up. I suppose I overacted once again. Please forgive me...I just have a lot on my mind lately..."

Sweetie Belle waved her hoof

"I am fine sis. I live with you for some time now, I am kinda use to it. But can you tell me what is bothering you ? Maybe I can help ?"

Rarity smiled, trotting to Sweetie Belle's side.

She ruffled her mane, earning a small giggle from the younger unicorn, and softly pecked her cheek.

"I love you Sweetums, but you don't have to worry about me. I think I will go on a night stroll to clear my head..."

*******************

Rarity started blankly at her empty glass.

Not that she was drinking. She didn't even order anything.

She walked across all town before stopping in an only night club in Ponyville. Rarity wasn't the biggest fan of it but now it didn't really matter to her.

Berry Punch shot her a glance but didn't say anything.

Unknowingly for Rarity, Gabby walked to the bar and sat by the counter. She decided to stay in Ponyville for the night when her journey to deliver a package delayed to the point that she arrived there near midnight. Now, she wanted to have a snack to recover her strength.

Grey feathered crusader sat down with a bored look on her face.

She and Rarity took a deep breath

And in the same moment they said

"I want him back with me !"

Recognizing each other's voices, they turned towards each other. In their weary, emotional breakdown state they didn't even notice each other until then.

Rarity's eyes narrowed

"Gabby..."

Gabby rolled her own eyes and sighed

"Rarity..."

After an awkward moment of silence, Rarity blurted

"What do you mean you want him back ?! As far as I know, and I have been keeping record, you managed to spend much more time with him recently than me."

Gabby ruffled her feathers and shot a rare, icy glare towards the unicorn

"But I want qua-li-ty TIME !" she exclaimed, waving her claws in a usual hyperactive manner "Yeah I may see him more often, but that's just it. It is just a few words and it's gone. When you manage to see him, you spend more time together and in a quality way. I want that too"

Rarity felt some pride in hearing that but the thought that Gabby was spending much time with Spike irritated her a little. Even so, she tried to act civil in this situation.

"Darling, I am just trying to point out that Spike likes...both of us. He values us for different reasons and doesn't want to severe a bond with each of us. That's why he is just spending time with us and didn't take more...intimate approach. But I miss not seeing him for a long time. This is actually the second sleepless night I have because of him. The first one was during our first conflict some time ago. I sneaked into Spike's bedroom and..."

"You what ?!!!!" Gabby screamed

"The point is, I know what you feel !!!" Rarity whined " Spike is going to be away for some time because he went on his first mission as an official ambassador of Equestria and we are both left here without him. And I know he will be back but it has been weeks and I am starting to feel really sad..."

"Yeah, that's lame. Life is super dull without him" Gabby added, forgetting about her earlier outburst.

"Precisely my point. You see Gabby, through this time I really got to know you and I have to say you are a really nice griffon, the nicest I've ever met. You have some psychological attributes which I, under certain conditions, would like to possess. But when it comes to Spike...you remember how you were mad at me when I tried to have Spike all to myself? I am just starting to fear that you are repeating my mistakes. Remember a tantrum you threw over me playing a game with him ?"

"That was because you used Spike ! I just wanted to spend time with him, I was innocent" Gabby huffed angrily.

"You wanted him to be by your side day by day, not giving him a choice to word his preferences. You were just as possessive and guilty as I was back then !! Innocent my ass !!!" Rarity yelled and covered her mouth.

It's been years since she loose her cool like that and even more time had passed since she lowered herself to the level of vulgarity.

She breathed deeply and fanned herself with her hoof to calm down

The unicorn opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted

"I am sorry" Gabby muttered sorrowfully

Rarity blinked. That was unexpected

"I like spending time with Spike, but I know that your relationship with him had some history behind it. I probably got into not my business...I tend to do that"

Despite her earlier irritation, Rarity felt bad for Gabby. She put a hoof on her claw and now it was Gabby's turn to look at her in shock

"Darling, it is not like you to be so down. That situation is hard for both of us. We both need Spikey-Whikey in our lives. And I admit that I am a bit accustomed to have any guy I want. That's why I acted the way I did and it was horrid, I should be the one apologizing. And that is why we have to stop with the arguing. Let's...make an agreement. All this fighting is ruining our lives and does a horrid job for our complexions."

Gabby slowly smiled at her

"Yeah...let's do that !!! Sounds awesome !!! But...we are still two girls spending time with one guy. Is this even possible to make this good for us all ?"

Rarity bit her lip

"I am afraid there will always be uncertainties here and there but it will establish some trust between us and I am sure Spikey will be glad. Now, here is what we shall do...

Back in the present (5th year after coronation)

Rarity exhaled and looked at Gabby

"Since you are here, I have a matter to discuss with you. I want to spend time with Spike...a longer period of time. Are you okay with that ?"

Gabby smiled and nodded

"Yeah, sure thing !!! But I have a condition"

Rarity felt relief. Gabby was staying positive as usual, that was good

"After that period of time "the mail carrier continued" you will give me and Spike the same amount of time, with no interruption. And then..."

She suddenly grabbed Rarity in front and shaken her out front.

"We will make him finally decide which one of us he wants the most !!!"

Rarity was dizzy after the shaking and muttered only

"Thahadzzz ghaghareat aaaa..."

Then her mind cleared and the meaning of the last part hit her

"Wait...darling, what was that last part ?"

Gabby grabbed her mailbag and hugged Rarity tightly before saying

"It was really cool talking to you after such a long time. But I have letters to deliver and lots of creatures just can't wait to read them ! Bye!"

Rarity tried to object

"Darling, please wait..."

But Gabby already spread her wings and took off, flying high above the castle.

Rarity stood motionless, analyzing Gabby's words.

Gabby was one of the kindest, cheerful and enthusiastic creatures she knew, maybe except Pinkie. Surely she couldn't challenge her just now...

Surely, they were rivals when it came to Spike's attention but Gabby was always very nice towards her, even if they were occasionally arguing. She was always smiling and kind...even if she loved to invade other's personal space

'No' Rarity thought, shaking her head 'she is probably tired of all the uncertainty and wants to deal with it. Who knows, maybe she sensed the similar intent coming from me. After all, what I want comes dangerously close to breaking our agreement. But why she decided to do this now, after five years ?"

She will need to get to the bottom of this. But for now...she wanted to talk to Spike about all of this.

She could spend some of her free time with him now. What a pleasant turn of events.

And if that time will be threatened...

A true lady never runs away from her fated rival.