• Published 6th Dec 2019
  • 1,147 Views, 23 Comments

I've seen too much (tales of love never forgotten) - Shadowlight Wanderer



A mare is saved by a dragon from the storm. Little does she know that she and her host are linked by mysterious past and more emotions than a heart can fill

  • ...
1
 23
 1,147

Chapter 8: Promise on the Winter Solstice

"Rarity, how much longer ?" Spike shifted his weight from one leg to the other as he stared at the staircase of the Carousel Boutique

"Patience darling, just...some more time" answered the voice from upstairs.

Spike groaned quietly. He always had to remind himself that seeing Rarity after all the dressing and beautifying was always worth the wait. Sadly, he could never remember that while he was waiting.

Yona, segregating the rolls of fabrics, chuckled light-heartedly

"Professor Rarity always going down long. She making pretty face almost as long as yaks building smashing pile !"

Spike smiled

"Let me guess...long time ?"

"MMMHMMM !!!" Yona nodded with energy before returning to work.

The young graduate of the School of Friendship grew very much over the years and didn't seem like stopping for now. Her fur became longer, her horns larger. Even though she was much taller and definitely more massive, Yona gained elegance and grace usually not witnessed in yaks to that extent. She was also always kind and courteous towards others, using the title "professor" for Rarity and others, even though Rarity and her friends stopped teaching her years ago.

After cultures from far started to overlap in Equestria, Spike was shocked that Rarity decided to teach Yona the management in the fashion world and took her in as an apprentice. Said shock didn't come from the fact that Yona wasn't suited for that business, far from it. Rather from doubt that Rarity and Yona, females with completely different values, could get together as co-workers.

But even though it cost some repairs towards the dresses and boutique itself, plus Rarity's nervous breakdowns, Yona became a reliable, skilled fashionista and as graceful as the yak her size could be.

2 years ago, when Rarity entered into a period of travels, she entrusted Yona with Carousel Boutique. It took some time, but Yona with the help of Sandbar managed to mantain Rarity's first shop in good condition and keep it running. Even though Rarity had a couple more shops, plus her winter residence at Yakyakistan, she still had living quarters here.

A slight cough brought Spike's attention to the stairs.

Rarity was striking a pose that showed her beautiful body in the bright light of the indoor lamps. Her coat seemed to shine with her own right, hooves were polished, mane curled to perfection, eyeshadow applied.

Rarity was an epitome of gorgeous, as always. But there was one major difference in her appearance right now

"You...don't wear a dress" Spike muttered, blinking in confusion.

And indeed, except for her fire ruby necklace that she wore on every single one of their dates, Rarity didn't seem to have any clothing on herself, which was honestly quite weird

Rarity shook his head with humorous twinkle in her eye

"No, not today darling ! Tonight's dinner is special and I don't presume I need one"

Spike's was more than puzzled. Special dinner that did NOT require a dress ?

One week after Rarity returned from her trip, she told him to meet her at the Boutique because she had planned a very special surprise for him.

Now he was wondering what in Tartarus did he get himself into.

There was a thunderous THUMP on the outside.

Rarity smiled widely

"Ah, the carriage I ordered ! Splendid, absolutely splendid !"

She went down and extended her hoof to him

"Shall we ?"

Spike took her hoof, lowering himself a little bit

"After you my lady"

Rarity winked at him as they both went to the door

"Darling, please close for the night and take care of Opal for me. I would very much appreciate it" the unicorn addressed her former apprentice

Yona stopped in the middle of her movement and lost her balance, falling on the floor and causing the designs on various models to shake and tremble

Rarity's eye twitched slightly, but she was far too accustomed to it by now to let that bother her more

Yona chuckled awkwardly and started to play with her hair-loop

"Yona knows...but Yona thought that she and Sandbar can sleep here...if Professor Rarity fine with that"

Rarity coughed and blushed a little

"Of course darling...emmm...you have every right to live here, after all I owe you for caring so much about the birthplace of my business...go on and...ahhhh...enjoy yourselves. Just please...don't break too many things...PLEASE"

"Yona...will try" came a short reply

Spike was doing what he could to contain his laughter. Years ago, around the time when he was getting use to the life as an ambassador, he was coming back to Ponyville whenever he could to clear his head. Even if he was not living there anymore, it had a tremendous value for him. He usually hung out either with Starlight or Trixie if their duties allowed them to. Starlight, because they always could find a common ground and spend extremely fun time together. Trixie, because they both liked sharing stories from their respective journeys and no one understood the life on the road, that Spike had to live now, than a former Great and Powerful Magician, now turned into a guidance consular

When, he wasn't with anyone, he was sometimes coming under old and burnt remaining of Golden Oak Library. Even though now it was place filled with nostalgia and melancholy, he could collect his thoughts better out there.

On one of those days, he met Sandbar. After an exchange of words, it turned out that the relationship between Sandbar and Yona that first bloomed during Amity Dance, was now something official. They were dating for some time back then and Sandbar even asked Spike a few questions about the potential problems that interspecies couples must face.

Spike understood Rarity's worries. Yona was very intense in expressing her love for Sandbar, which could be later reflected on the state of furniture. This aspect of Sandbar's and Yona's relationship was, according to Sandbar himself, a little bit suffocating, both literally and metaphorically.

"Said hi to Sandbar for us ! Have a good time !" Spike shouted as he and Rarity exited the Boutique

Rarity gave the details to the pegasi pulling the 4 bulky pegasi pulling the carriage. Spike assisted her in getting in and they took off.

Throughout the journey to Canterlot, Spike was thinking what could possibly make Rarity so nervous and excited (or nervoucited, as Pinkie would put it). She was smiling and yet, her hooves where frantically running patterns on her legs, as if she didn't know what to do with them. If she was happy earlier, why was she so also so tense now ? Spike couldn't figure her out.

Before he realized, they were strolling through the streets of Canterlot. Various creatures started to whisper to themselves, some bowed their head in respect. Spike waved to them. Rarity on the other hand was pushing forward, barely keeping track of her surroundings.

When they took their seats at the restaurant, Spike couldn't stand it any longer

"Rarity, please tell me what is going on here "

Rarity, who was checking her mane once more in a small mirror, looked at him

"What do you mean ?"

"You are acting...strange and I don't know why. First, you were rather happy that we are eating together. But the closer we got, the more nervous you became. So please tell me, what's the deal ?"

Rarity sighed and looked into his eyes

"Spikey, I am sorry that I am so...jumpy. It's just that what I planned is a bit hard for me...and suppose that it will be hard for you too...apology in advance"

Spike was now even more confused than before

"If it is a problem for you, why were you so happy ?"

"Well, I thought that doing it earlier rather than later would have a positive effect, but I admit that now I certainly feel a bit stressed."

Spike stared at her in astonishment

"Rarity, what are you-"

"YOOOOHOOOO !!!!" a loud male voice echoed through the restaurant.

Spike and Rarity turned their heads towards the entrance.

A middle aged white unicorn with brown-greyish mane and a moustache wearing a nicely designed polo shirt and a straw hat was looking for something or someone. He was accompanied by a pink mare with a purple mane with a few grey stripes, wearing a pearl necklace.

She looked in Spike's and Rarity's direction and then smiled widely. She tapped her companion on the side and they both started to slowly trot towards the pair by the table

Spike's face twisted in horror

"You invited your parents ?!!!"

Rarity slowly extended one hoof into the air and forced a smile

"How does Pinkie do this darling ? Ta...da !..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike's large body moved as he went to help Iris.

Poor mare chocked on the last of her brew.

After one gentle whack of Spike's claw (he had to make sure not to break anything by doing that) the unicorn coughed and her breathing steadied .

"Are you okay ? " dragon asked with genuine concern

"I am...fine" the mare said with her voice a bit off

Spike didn't look convinced

"You sure ? Cause I think you started to act weird even before last portion of the brew. When I got to telling you about restaurant and Rarity's "surprise" you became pale...emm, more than normally...and then you choke..."

"I am telling you, it was just the spice in the brew" Iris blurted out, looking out in the direction of the entrance to the cave " Oh, look, I think the storm is ending"

"I think the real storm is just beginning, Iris..." Spike thought to himself grimly before returning to his long story

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHY didn't you tell me ? This is the amazing surprise ?" Spike hissed to Rarity's ear, as her parents made their way through the vast dining hall.

Rarity let out a rather unladylike groan

"Spikey, I don't perceive this as pleasant either. Me and my parents have...a delicate relationship at the times. But they are my family and they were bound to know that I am dating someone so close to me. This may be your chance to present yourself in your marvellous, natural light in front of them. After that, we're just going to forget it for a time being. Agreed ?"

Spike didn't know how to respond to that. He wasn't mad, he was just taken off guard. He thought that Rarity's parents could indeed by interested in her future so meeting them was only the matter of time.

He only ever saw them two times and managed to say hello once.

At least he knew them just a little bit. The other time, HE insisted on meeting Gabby's parents. It didn't go all that well, at least in Spike's opinion.

Gabby's dad was a harsh and always irritated at everything. Her mother welcomed Spike with full honours, some of the energy and passion that her daughter always presented was there in plain sight. At least until the time she charged him for every service and hospitality.

They weren't entirely at fault, each culture developed in a specific manner for a long time. Griffons placed material possessions before anything else and fought only for each other for centuries. Even though some individuals who managed to break from this love-less society on their own, like Gabby and Gallus, were trying to change it, old habits were still dying hard. Painfully hard.

Those were the thoughts that flew through Spike's head as he observed the approaching unicorn couple. He was specifically searching for their reactions at his sight.

Hondo Flanks, the former player in the hoofball representation of Equestria, locked eyes with him. His face changed from calm into a confusion, irritation and calm again.

No, Spike didn't know what to make of that

Cookie Crumbles on the other hand only blinked in shock upon seeing the muscular dragon sitting by the table, but quickly lightened up, even flashing a small smile.

Rarity got up and trotted to meet her parents

"Mother !" she said, kissing the pink mares cheeks as she did the same.

She then hugged the white stallion

"Hello father"

Spike continued with his observation. Twilight passed on him a bit of her knowledge about the reading from other creatures behaviour. On his diplomatic journeys, that ability could even save life.

"They all seem to be genuinely expressing their feelings, but some movements are forced. Sometimes there is no eye contact and physical contact lasts only as long as necessary, especially with Hondo. Rarity mentioned that she and her parents were arguing fiercely about something. I knew I heard about it. What was it ?

"Spike ?

He realized that the trio of unicorns were staring at him

He quickly got up and began to introduce himself

"I am sorry, I got distracted. It's nice to meet you, my name is Spike" he bowed lightly

Rarity's mom waved a hoof lightly

"Now now dearie, no need to be so formal, although I appreciate the gesture. My name is Cookie Crumbles, but you can just call me Cookie. Every friend of our little gem is also friend of ours...except of a few...less than reasonable choices of our daughter".

In the corner of his vision, Spike noticed that corner of Rarity's lips twitched slightly in a short, almost invisible spasm of anger.

Hondo looked at Spike stroking his moustache

"Say" he said after a moment " name Spike...I think I heard it before. What do you do for a living, dear dragon ?"

"Well, not that many creatures knows what I specifically do" Spike said awkwardly " But I am the Ambassador of Peace and the Royal Advisor to the Prin-"

Hondo lightened up

"Oh, I remember now. You were that runt that was helping with serving deserts at the Hearstwarming Eve in Princess Twilight's castle !"

Spike's jaw dropped.

Hondo patted him with his foreleg, which was still strong and muscular, even if stallion was middle-aged.

"Don't worry about the "runt" part. I just can't believe that you are the same dragon, that's all. If anything, it's good that you won't be seen as a weakling"

"Well, I am really curious too" Cookie eyed him slowly " Our Rarity can be a bit picky and to think that she would date again, with a dragon nonetheless...that was quite a shock. But after all, you are the dragon we heard from Sweetie."

The mature mare giggled lightly like a little filly

""Oh, sis always says, that if she was younger or he was older, this would be a perfect love", "She thinks that she can't reincorporate the feelings for the one that-"

"CAN WE PLEASE GET TO THE TABLE AND EAT" Rarity said a little louder than usual, with quickly reddening face.

**********************************

Dinner was most exquisite, as to be expected. From time to time someone started talking and the discussion was beginning only to dwindle after the couple of minutes.

Spike decided to add a compliment in conversation. It was almost always causing a positive effect.

"It is nice to see from who Rarity's beauty came from, Miss Crumbles"

It wasn't that far of an overstatement. Although she was a more than a bit chubby here and there, Cookie had the still visible signs of stunning beauty of her prime and marvellous silhouette, just like her two daughters had now.

Rarity's mother blushed a little and turned to her daughter

"Such a charmer ! I may understand why did you come to like him so much"

Rarity felt a sense of pride but kept an eye on her father who locked his gaze on Spike, slowly munching his oat and lettuce salad

"So you two are dating, huh ?" he question with a blank look

"Yes, father, for a few months now" Rarity exclaimed happily" Spike is proving himself as nothing but a fine gentledrake."

"Hmm, yes, we shall see" Hondo said deep in thought

He addressed Spike directly

"Dragon...I mean, Spike...what was that in Rarity that made you want to be with her ?"

Spike bit his lip. Hondo was clearly less opened to the potential relationship of his older daughter. Maybe that distrust wasn't directed at him specifically...but either way, he had to be weary

"She is...radiant. She shines through the boring and mundane world like a star. Rarity tries so hard for others to see their hidden beauty and has many amazing talents. It is hard not to fall in love with her. She is so determined and passionate about her goals that I would do anything to support her".

Hondo humped under his moustache

"Not for her beauty ? I thought it was a tendency with all of Rarity's dates"

Spike allowed himself to smirk slyly

"Does one starts describing the sunrise by mentioning that it includes a rising sun ? Rarity's beauty is obvious for all to see and without it, the world would truly lost meaning".

On the other edge of the table Rarity covered her mouth in very theatrical gasp, hot blush appearing on her cheeks.

Hondo let out a boisterous laugh

"You have a sharp tongue kid. I like that you have a sense of humour. But you won't sweet talk me like my wife. Say, if you two ever start a family, what would you bring to it?"

Spike felt sweat forming on his brow as Rarity shrilled

"Father, it is way too early !!!! We still didn't decide-"

"Young dragon, what you want to offer my daughter ?" pressed Hondo Flanks.

Spike gulped and relaxed a little, before answering

"I will be honest with you sir, and you, miss Cookie. My job is not an easy one. I have to travel a lot and there is never a guarantee that I will return safely. However, I don't like to say it often, but I am the second most powerful figure in this country. I know that Rarity has her needs and I will do everything I can to satisfy them, make her happy and safe. And also..."

Cookie gasped shortly as Spike bowed, so his head practically touched the table.

"I will do all I can to make feel every little bit of affection I feel for her. You may not know this, but Rarity and I have long history as co-workers, fellow world rescuers and most importantly, friends. We shared our dreams with each other, supported each other, saved each other from your nightmares. For years, I tried to get her attention like a fool, but only our mistakes ultimately allowed us to be happy. Your daughter is more precious to me than entire wealth and riches of the world and I will make sure she gets the love she deserves, even if I will fall trying !!!"

There was a moment of silence as the entire family was stunned into a shock. Hondo opened his mouth to say something, but he was interrupted by the siren-like wave of squeals coming from Rarity and Cookie. The fashionista scooted closer to Spike and planted gracious kiss on his cheek.

The elder stallion sighed and smiled lightly

"When they get like that, I can never oppose them in any way " he chuckled, giving Spike a welcoming look " Needless to say, I will be keeping an eye on you. But I can say without a doubt that your resolve is strong and what is most important, you want Rarity's happiness for far more than prestige."

He eyed the ladies, who were whispering to each other, still touched by Spike's little speech.

"Being a single stallion in a company of 3 mares can be quite...hard. I won't mind some manly company. Are you into fishing ? Or hoofball ?"

Spike grinned awkwardly

"No...I don't think so"

Hondo laughed

"That can be arranged"

************************************

Three unicorns and Spike didn't notice an ominous hooded figure who was watching them from the top of the tree outside the restaurant.

The hooded creature growled a little as she saw everyone laughing and Rarity kissing Spike's cheek

"She is far smarter than I anticipated" the voice muttered under the hood "But no matter ! Just you wait Rarity ! I will definitely uncover your hideous truth and Spike will know what you are really up to.

There was a slight flash of green from beneath the hood as some of the light from the restaurant reflected on the face of the observer.

With the flick of her robe, silhouette vanished in the night.

************************************

"Oh, this absolutely priceless" Cookie Crumbles laughed as the another story from Spike and Rarity concluded. "So Princess Celestia set out the paintball field on fire ?!! That's a riot !"

"Yeah ! Celestia said that she never expected the retirement to be...so dull." Spike explained

"Princess Luna doesn't seem to mind. Although Princess Celestia had to forbid her from entering the post office since she kept mailing letters to her sister...who lives in the same room"

Cookie smiled at the younger pair

"There is one thing I've been curious about darlings. When you first took Rarity out, how was it ? Your first date ?"

Spike wanted to reply but the phrase "took her out" triggered a memory inside his mind

Huge razor sharp claws, gigantic body, a never ending waves of urges and desire to have everything. His own enormous claws going inside the Boutique and Rarity's ear piercing scream

He had to use all of his willpower to stifle hysterical giggle, as he imagined the answer:

"When I first took Rarity out, it was out through the window. I wanted to possess your daughter so badly that I wanted to get her into the cave in the mountains after complete obliteration of our town "

Rarity noticed Spike's distress and quickly told her mother the story instead of him.

***************************

"Well, it was a really lovely evening." Cookie exclaimed as she hugged Spike " Please visit us someday"

"I will try " Spike replied politely

He and Rarity decided to stay in the restaurant for a moment longer but Cookie and Hondo were already departing

"Spike, you are a really nice guy " Hondo nodded in approval " I wasn't convinced at first but I wish you good luck. But..."

The murderous aura appeared around the stallion who whispered

"Make my sweet diamond cry and I will end you"

"U-Understood" Spike whispered back

Hondo smiled lightly and shook Spike's hoof

"Well then, I will see you on a fishing excursion."

Well, Spike thought, at least I know from where Rarity's moodiness came from

"But don't be away from Rarity for too long. It is always important for the head of the family to be close to the ones he cares about"

Spike noticed that Rarity's eyes narrowed and the glare she sent her dad was colder than the coldest ice. Thanks to his superior dragon hearing, he heard her mutter:

"How dare you..."

Finally, both Hondo and Cookie disappeared behind the door.

In that moment, Rarity started to sob a little bit and Spike finally remembered the cause of rift between her and her parents.

Both Hondo and Cookie had luxurious professions, thus they had quite a lot of free time. Their wealth helped their gorgeous daughters bloom in the world of fame but also put a terrible strain on their relationship.

Ever since Sweetie Belle was born, Rarity's parents kept travelling and using their holidays to the fullest extent, while Rarity had to take care of her younger sister. The fashionista loved her parents but she couldn't easily forgive the feeling of constant neglect and putting so much pressure on her. That's why Hondo's word hurt her so much.

Spike hugged Rarity, who slowly regained his composure

"I must apologize for my father Spikey. He tends to be overprotective when it comes to me and Sweetie since many ruffians were drooling at our very sight since we were little. That's why he was so suspicious" she said to him.

They hugged each other in silence, comforting each other before Rarity asked quietly

"Spike, I was wondering...Gabby is an amazing girl, I admire her truly...and when you were saying all the marvellous and beautiful things about our shared history, I couldn't help...that history of Gabby and you could be just as amazing and beautiful. So, I am not jealous or angry or anything of this sort. Just tell me darling: Did you always love me ? Didn't you ever lose faith ?"

Spike's lips stretched into nostalgic smile as he gave her the answer...