• Published 16th Sep 2019
  • 8,779 Views, 205 Comments

Desperate Devotion - Leafdoggy



Chrysalis hatches a new evil ploy, but it requires her to get close to Twilight. Very close.

  • ...
14
 205
 8,779

The Storm

Everything seemed to slow down as the train came to a stop.

There was a heavy clunk as the brakes clicked on.

The train lurched.

Metallic screeching filled the cabin.

The horn sounded.

Another lurch.

And everything stopped. The world outside stopped moving, the horn stopped blaring, the brakes stopped squealing, and just for a moment, Chrysalis and Twilight’s hearts stopped beating.

There was no turning back now. The Crystal Empire awaited.

Twilight was the first to drag herself off the comfortable seat, groaning and griping the entire way. “I really don’t wanna do this.”

Chrysalis pulled herself up after that and nudged Twilight towards the door. “We have to.”

Twilight let out another pained groan. “I know.”

They stepped out into the midday sun, but it was even colder than it had been in Ponyville. There was no wind, thankfully, but the air was frigid and sharp, and Twilight couldn’t help but shiver as her first lungful of air burned inside her.

Chrysalis, meanwhile, was completely unfazed by the harsh weather, and when Twilight shivered she moved close to share her warmth. It made Twilight smile, but knowing where she was, and who she was here to see, stopped her from getting any closer.

Ponies stared and whispered as the couple walked through the streets. There was no panic, no fleeing, but the sight of Princess Twilight with Chrysalis, whether they recognized her or not, was sure to always turn heads.

“You know,” Twilight mused as they cantered along, “I come here all the time, and it never ceases to amaze me how the crystal ponies seem to relish the cold. It’s almost like they don’t even feel it.”

Chrysalis gave her a puzzled look. “What in the world is a crystal pony?”

Twilight chuckled. “Geez, Chrissy, I thought you were supposed to be old and experienced. What, in all those years you never crossed paths with Sombra? Or came this far north? Or, like, read a book?”

Chrysalis scoffed. “Why would I ever go anywhere near that pompous little boy? I had better uses of my time than dealing with some problem that I knew full well would deal with itself eventually.”

“Well,” Twilight told her, “the crystal ponies were the ponies suffering under his rule. Now they’re back, and Cadence leads them.”

“Convenient word choice there,” Chrysalis commented, “considering both have sat upon the same throne.”

Twilight was about to respond, but a cough from nearby caught her attention. She looked away from Chrysalis to find two guards, clad in crystal armor, standing firmly in front of the doors leading into the castle.

“Oh, we’re here!” Twilight tried her best to grin nonchalantly at the guards, but it just came off as awkward. “How are you two? I’m just, um, here to see my brother!”

The guards whispered back and forth for a moment. Twilight and Chrysalis went through a whole slew of concerned looks in the time it took for them to reach a consensus, but eventually they stood up straight and the guard who had coughed put on the most official voice he could muster.

“Princess Twilight,” he said, “seeing as we are only door guards and are nowhere near trained for this, we are electing to trust you, but I’d like to make clear that our trust does not reflect the entire castle guard.”

With that, the two guards stepped to either side of the door, clanking as they moved in the heavy armor. “I hope you’re able to enjoy your visit,” the other guard said.

Twilight chuckled nervously and motioned for Chrysalis to follow her inside. “Thank you two,” she said as she passed, “I’ll put in a good word for you with my brother.”

“Please don’t,” the first guard said. Then the doors shut with a heavy slam, closing Twilight and Chrysalis into the castle.

“Ominous,” Chrysalis commented.

“Hush,” Twilight said. “Let’s just find one of them and get this over with.”

“I believe,” Chrysalis told her, “one of them has just found us.”

Twilight gulped when she saw what she meant. Clacking loudly as he walked through the huge, empty crystal halls, Shining Armor had just turned the corner. He was fully dressed in his royal guard regalia, albeit somewhat awkwardly, and a particularly ornery piece of cloth had his full attention as he was walking. It wasn’t until he’d closed half the distance when he looked up and his jaw dropped.

Shining Armor’s face went through a full gamut of reactions in a split second as he took in the scene. First the shock, then the anger, then realization, followed by yet more anger.

“Chrysalis!” His furious shout echoed dreadfully through the castle. “Get away from her!” His eyes flashed with an unquenched fury as his horn lit up, and a moment later he was charging forward.

Twilight stumbled forward and put up a quaking hoof. “Shiny, wait!”

Shining Armor and Twilight made eye contact, and it was like a light was switched off inside him. His horn dimmed, his eyes softened, and his hooves screeched as he skidded to a stop on the polished floors.

He was only feet away when he finally stopped, and he couldn’t take his eyes off Twilight. His wide eyes, moist with the promise of tears, were brimming with all manner of emotions, and Twilight could feel it all.

Then he set his jaw, shook his head, and lit his horn back up. “Prove that you’re Twilight,” he demanded.

Chrysalis almost spoke up, but she caught herself and continued to watch the two of them in silence.

“Look.” Twilight held out the leg that still had the glowing band around it. “You know this spell, Shiny.” Then she pointed to the matching band that Chrysalis was wearing. “Brainwashed ponies don’t make promises, and brainwashers definitely don’t keep promises.”

Shining Armor looked back and forth between them, staring at the bands, then their faces, then back at the bands. Slowly, all the anger drained from his face, only to be replaced by a dull, aching sadness. Finally, he fell back and sat on the floor, completely defeated.

“Twilight…” He was staring up at her from where he sat with a scarring frown. “What did you do?”

Twilight’s ears pulled back in shame as she frowned and took a step away. “I- I just… I mean—” She couldn’t get any thoughts out.

“Twilight, please,” Shining Armor begged, “tell me this isn’t what it looks like.”

“I’m sorry, Shiny,” Twilight squeaked, her voice barely reaching her lips.

“You said you were bringing a new girlfriend,” Shining armor said. “So you’re dating her?” His voice was dripping with vitriol as he glared at Chrysalis.

“I just thought..” Twilight looked away from him and closed her eyes. “I don’t know.”

“Twilight.” Chrysalis put a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder to steady her. “Have faith in yourself. You’ve done nothing to be ashamed of.”

“Really?” Shining Armor snapped at Chrysalis. “Because from where I’m sitting, it sure looks like she did.”

“How it looks to you has no bearing on the matter,” Chrysalis told him.

“No bearing?” Shining Armor swiped a hoof through the air dramatically. “I’m the one who’s been betrayed here, I think I have some say in it.”

“No.” Twilight sniffed her tears away and stepped forward, looking hard at Shining Armor. “No, Shiny, you don’t get to decide what I should be ashamed about. Disagree with me, disown me, whatever, but I will not be ashamed for being happy.”

“How can you be happy with her after what she did to Cadence?” Shining Armor was struggling to hold back his own tears.

“Because I gave her a second chance,” Twilight said. “That’s what I do. You think nopony was ever against it before? Pinkie didn’t talk to me for a week after I took in Starlight! I did it anyway, because I knew I was making her life better, and then she went and made a whole bunch of other ponies’ lives better. It just happened to be that the life Chrysalis made better was mine. I won’t let you tear all of that down just because you think that, because it’s your hurt, she’s different.”

“I-” Shining Armor sighed and looked down at the ground. “I want you to be happy, Twily. I just don’t think I’ll ever be able to forgive her.”

“I don’t expect forgiveness,” Chrysalis told him. “I’m only here because I want Twilight’s decision to be respected.”

Twilight leaned down next to her brother. “You don’t have to like her, Shiny,” she told him, “but I’ll still like her either way. You’re going to have to come to terms with that, because you can’t change it.”

Shining Armor nodded, still not meeting Twilight’s eyes. “You’re right,” he said, “I can’t control you. I’ll… I’ll do my best to keep things good between us.”

“So will I,” Twilight told him.

Twilight stood back up and held out a hoof for Shining Armor, who took it and stood up as well. Then, much to his shock, Twilight gave him a hug, and a second later he hugged her back.

“For what it’s worth,” Chrysalis said after they were done, “I am sorry for any strain I may have put on your relationship with Cadence.”

Shining Armor narrowed his eyes at her. “And for… Brainwashing me?”

Chrysalis thought for a moment. “...No. I can’t apologize for something I don’t regret.”

Chrysalis,” Twilight chided. Shining Armor scowled at her.

“What?” Chrysalis shrugged. “I realize it wasn’t good, but I still believe that, for my goals at the time, it was a sound decision.”

“Okay, time to leave,” Twilight said. She wrapped her magic around Chrysalis and started to tug her down the hallway. “We’re only halfway done.”

“She’s in the throne room,” Shining Armor told them as they left. “I wouldn’t expect her to be as calm as me, though.”

The halls were empty as they walked through the castle. It wasn’t just that the castle wasn’t busy. It was like the castle had been evacuated. There was no clicking from distant hooves, no quiet murmurs from the rooms they passed by. It was just the two of them, their deafening hoofsteps, and the eerie silence between them.

As they approached the door to the throne room, Chrysalis put a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder to stop her. “Are you ready for this?”

“No,” Twilight told her, “but I’m never going to be.”

“Do we have a plan?”

“I have no idea what she’s going to say,” Twilight said. “I think we should walk in at the same time so that she sees us together, but the plan ends there.”

“If you need to take a step back, just tap me on the shoulder and I’ll take over the talking,” Chrysalis said.

“Thank you, Chrissy.”

There was nothing else to do. They both stepped up behind one of the large, heavy doors, and Twilight wrapped them in her magic. They opened agonizingly slowly, inch by inch, but the first thing they revealed was the daunting throne, and with it—

A bolt of magic scorched the floor by their hooves before the doors were even open.

With a final push, Twilight flung open the doors and the couple stepped inside. There they saw her. Standing tall on the raised platform that held her throne, her horn lit brilliantly, her wings outstretched in a show of dominance, her mane billowing as if the force of her magic was washing over it, Princess Cadence glared at them.

Her voice was cold and quiet when she spoke. “I was really, really hoping you two weren’t going to walk through that door together.”

“Expecting me?” Chrysalis asked.

Cadence responded with another blast of magic that collided with a wall of green flames. “Do you think I don’t have guards? Or that I wouldn’t make absolutely certain they all knew the face of the woman who nearly took everything from me?”

“Cadence, please,” Twilight pleaded, “it isn’t what it looks like.”

There was another volley of magic, and another spout of flames.

“It’s exactly what it looks like!” Cadence snapped.

“I’m not in any danger,” Twilight said. “She isn’t doing anything wrong.”

“What, do you think I’m blind?” Cadence stomped a hoof on the ground. “I know this is real. I’m the Envoy of Love in Equestria, I’m perfectly capable of seeing when one of my best friends is falling in love. Why would that make it better?”

Twilight took a step back in shock. Chrysalis stepped in front of her to keep her safe. “C-Cadence, please,” Twilight begged. “Just hear us out!”

“I know what you’ll say!” Cadence fired another bolt at Chrysalis. “I don’t care. You can do whatever you want at home, but you do not bring that woman into my castle and expect her to leave unscathed.”

Tears were streaming down Twilight’s face now. “Cadence, no! Please, don’t do this.”

“I’m sorry, Twilight.” A brilliant spark started to grow in Cadence’s horn. “I hope you’re okay with dating a statue.”

Cadence reared back as her horn became almost unbearably bright. Then she slammed back onto the ground, aimed her horn at Chrysalis, and let loose.

There was a deafening boom as a massive beam flew across the room. The colors flowing through it seemed jagged with the speed they were going, a rainbow of force headed their way.

Chrysalis crouched defensively. There was no way she could block that, so her only option would be to dodge out of the way, but she hesitated. She glanced back over her shoulder, to what the beam would hit if she moved, to—

Nothing.

In that instant after Cadence fired, Twilight started moving. She ran at full speed forward, charging her magic up as she did, and skidded to a stop in a defensive position in front of Chrysalis. Then she blasted back, fighting back Cadence’s magic with her own.

A shower of sparks were raining over Twilight as she strained to fight back. She clenched her eyes tight as tears cascaded down her cheeks. Then, with a final, monumental shove, she put all her might behind the spell and screamed out in despair.

I will not let you hurt her!

Cadence’s blast was eviscerated. The lance of purple light flew over her head, just barely missing her, and she and Twilight both crumpled to the floor in exhaustion.

Chrysalis leaned down and put a tender hoof on Twilight’s side. Then her attention turned to Cadence, and her eyes narrowed into a nasty glare. She stood up, tall and proud, and used her own magic to levitate Twilight up onto her back. Twilight latched onto her immediately, burying her face to hide her tears.

Chrysalis looked down her nose at Cadence. “I hope you’re happy, Princess.”

Cadence was panting hard, but she pushed herself shakily to her hooves and glared back at Chrysalis. Her voice fell to almost a whisper. “Leave my castle.”

Chrysalis didn’t say anything else. She just turned around, carried Twilight out into the hall, and shut the doors quietly behind her.

Shining Armor caught up to them as they were walking to the exit. “That bad, huh?” he asked.

Twilight sniffed, but she couldn’t bring herself to look at her brother.

Chrysalis stopped and turned to look down at Shining Armor. She stared at him, searching for something to say, some quip or scolding remark, but eventually she settled on just turning and walking away in silence.

Shining Armor walked with them. “Listen,” he said, “I’ll talk to her. I can’t promise it’ll be quick, but she and Twilight will be back on good terms someday. I’ll make sure of it.”

Chrysalis still said nothing to him.

He scratched behind an ear awkwardly. “Be good to her,” he said after a moment, “okay? Twilight wouldn’t do this for just anypony.”

“That’s the thing,” Chrysalis said. She still didn’t look at him. “I think that she would.”

Then they were outside, back to the icy cold. The chill biting into them felt infinitely more hostile than it had earlier that day.

“You may want to check on those two,” Chrysalis said, gesturing at the door guards as they passed by. “I may have been a touch too rough with them, but they didn’t leave me much choice.” Then, without waiting for any sort of response or goodbye, she walked away.

Chrysalis carried Twilight back to the train station and set her gently on a bench before sitting down herself and gently rubbing Twilight’s back.

“Are you alright?” Chrysalis asked after a minute.

Twilight pried her eyes open and looked up at Chrysalis, at her face, sharp and malicious, yet still somehow soft and caring. “Not really,” she said.

“Your brother was right,” Chrysalis told her. “They’ll forgive you.”

Twilight sniffed and frowned. “I’m not going to apologize.”

“They’ll forgive you anyway,” Chrysalis said.

“I guess…” Twilight reached out to place her hoof on one of Chrysalis’. “Thank you for everything you said in there.”

“I only said what I felt I had to.”

Twilight looked at her with a weak smile. “You really care about me, huh?”

“Of course I do. You’re the only princess in this nation I respect.”

Twilight chuckled quietly. “You don’t even know Luna.”

Chrysalis stroked Twilight’s mane. “I’m sorry it had to go this way.”

Twilight shook her head. “It had to happen regardless. I’m just glad that it’s—”

She was cut off by the sudden sound of glass shattering. They both looked around frantically, searching for the source, before realizing that they knew what it was.

With a frown, Twilight raised up her leg and looked it over, and there was nothing to see. No cuts, no scrapes, and most notably, no glowing band of magic.

“But why…” Twilight rubbed her leg where the sign of their promise should have been.

Suddenly, Chrysalis started to laugh. “Oh, wow.” Twilight gave her a puzzled look. “I really never imagined it would be you who broke the promise.”

“Me?” Twilight asked. “I don’t understand, how did I—“ Her eyes went wide as the realization struck her.

“You saved my life, Twilight,” Chrysalis said.

“Oh…” Twilight was still staring at her leg. “I’m… Sorry?”

The sudden apology made Chrysalis start laughing again, and then Twilight was laughing with her. Her eyes were still damp, and the laughing drew out a few more tears, but Twilight was smiling, and Chrysalis was smiling back.

A few minutes later, Twilight sighed and leaned heavily against Chrysalis. “I guess this means our vacation is over,” she said. “That’s kind of a shame.”

Chrysalis squeezed Twilight tight. “Well, it doesn’t have to be.”

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked.

“Well, we’re the only ones who know the promise was broken. We could just make another one.”

“I don’t know,” Twilight said. “I would feel bad if I kept making excuses to not be a good guy.”

“Then don’t,” Chrysalis said. “I’m not going to stop you. Equestria’s full of heroes now, though. They don’t need you for everything, and if you have an excuse to not do the small stuff, you can use that time to help on a larger scale as a princess.”

“Hmm…” Twilight thought hard about it. “It does sound kind of nice… What would we promise, though?”

“I have an idea,” Chrysalis said. She held her hoof out and looked into Twilight’s eyes. “I can promise to never stop loving you.”

Twilight lit up with a grin and put her own hoof on top of Chrysalis’. “I think I can promise that too.”

Both their horns lit up, and they kissed as they cast the spell. As their lips locked together, so did their magic, making a brilliant stream of twisting and swirling green and purple light that wrapped around their legs. Then there was a flash of light, and they pulled away from each other to see their intricate new bands. Chrysalis had a bright, neon purple one, while Twilight’s was a glowing green.

Twilight practically pounced on Chrysalis, pulling her into a tight hug. Chrysalis laughed and squeezed her back, and then they kissed once again.


Later, on the train home, a thought hit Twilight. “You know,” she said, “I’m not actually sure if this promise spell is reversible. We might have these for a while.”

“That’s alright,” Chrysalis told her. “I don’t mind ponies knowing that you’re mine.”

“Please. Everypony knows I’m in charge. I am the Princess, after all.”