• Published 16th Sep 2019
  • 8,686 Views, 193 Comments

Desperate Devotion - Leafdoggy



Chrysalis hatches a new evil ploy, but it requires her to get close to Twilight. Very close.

  • ...
14
 193
 8,686

A Surprise Meeting

The cracking of twigs and crunching of leaves filled the air of the Everfree Forest. The air was hot, still and humid, insects buzzing all around. The sun abandoned these depths long ago, leaving only a weak trickle of light falling through the canopy above. The only places that weren’t dense with trees were the spots where powerful forces had razed the land, horrific creatures or devastating weather or other, more unspeakable things. These clearings held the only respite in the forest, but oftentimes, they also held the worst dangers of all.

It was in one of these clearings, or at least something like one, that the three ponies found themselves after following the directions given to them. Had it been empty, this mile wide stretch of land may well have been one of the most peaceful places in the Everfree, bright and sunny and filled with peaceful creatures. Instead it was nearly pitch dark, prompting a spark of magic to light things up, and there were only a few meters around the perimeter that were actually accessible.

In truth, this place was only a clearing in the sense that it didn’t have trees. What it did have, however, was a tree. A single tower of bark and leaves, stretching higher than the eyes can comprehend and wide enough to fill what was likely the largest clearing in the forest. The vast mass of intertwining branches above kept the sun at bay, allowing the trunk to serve as host to all manner of life that dwells in the dark. Long strips of glowing moss wound their way around, illuminating holes bored by birds and nests hung from branches. Here and there some creature had even dug caverns into the trunk, big enough for a bear yet high enough for a hawk. No doubt there were probably even stranger homes up near the treetop.

“Hoo-wee!” Applejack took her hat off to gaze up at the colossal structure. “Ain’t that a sight. Like somepony went and cored a mountain.”

Twilight Sparkle’s mouth was gaping. “Wow. How can we not see this from Ponyville?”

“This place is just weird like that,” Pinkie Pie told her with a shrug. “I say we just don’t worry about it.”

“I dunno, I’m still worried about plenty,” Applejack replied. “Remind me again why we’re even doin this?”

“I wouldn’t be much of a princess if I didn’t at least try,” Twilight said.

“Alright,” Applejack said, “but I still think it’s a bad idea.”

“Noted,” Twilight told her. “Again.

“Why do you think she wanted to meet here?” Pinkie asked, still enraptured by the tree.

“Good place to hide a trap?” Applejack suggested, prompting an eye roll from Twilight.

Pinkie didn’t seem to hear her. “Maybe she just thinks it’s pretty.”

“My, it is so refreshing to see that at least one of you still believes me capable of positive emotion.”

Applejack and Twilight wheeled around to face the voice coming from the forest behind them. Pinkie did the same, but at a far more lazy pace.

A shadowy figure stepped out from the cover of the trees, letting the soft glow from Twilight’s horn wash over her. The purple light did little to lighten her dark features, and it completely failed to mask the radiant green that gleamed from her eyes and seemed almost to wrap around her in a sickly aura. The towering changeling gave a formal bow as she joined the clandestine meeting.

“How nice of you to join us, Chrysalis,” Twilight said dryly.

Queen Chrysalis, my dear,” she corrected. “Surely a princess should strive to be formal with another nation’s queen.”

Former queen,” Twilight corrected back, eliciting a low growl from Chrysalis that she quickly stifled.

“So,” Pinkie spoke up, interrupting their squabbling, “were you just, like, hiding in the woods waiting for a good time for a dramatic entrance?”

Chrysalis glared at her. “Let’s get this meeting underway, yes? You haven’t attacked me, so I assume you’ve decided to hear me out?”

“We’ll see,” Twilight said. “Attacking is still on the table.”

Chrysalis laughed haughtily. “Oh, Twilight.” With a flash of her horn, she teleported to the other side of the ponies to stand against the tree. “You really are no good at threats.”

“I don’t have to be.” Twilight walked up to stand face to face with Chrysalis. “Just tell me what you want.”

Chrysalis laughed again. “Well, dear, that’s the best part! I’ve come to ask you out on a date.”

Twilight and Applejack both recoiled, while Pinkie cooed in interest and bounced up to join the conversation. “Ooh, fun! See Twilight, I told you this was a good idea.”

Applejack narrowed her eyes. “What’s your play here, Chrysalis?”

“Is it really so shocking for me to want somepony to be with?” Chrysalis asked. The question was met with suspicious glares. “You’re right, I suppose it is. Well, that’s the true genius of this new plan. Telling you is part of it.”

“Are you gonna start makin sense any time soon?” Applejack asked.

“Yeah,” Twilight agreed, “I’m really not following.”

Chrysalis sighed. “Yes, well, I was explaining it. As you may have expected, I am hoping to rule Equestria.” She started to pace back and forth as she monologued, gesturing grandly. “I am not, however, naive. I know that you would stop me. So.” She stopped in front of Twilight and leaned forward so their faces were inches apart. “We’re going to fall in love. Then your love will overpower your good nature, and you’ll join me in ruling over this land!” She backed away and stood proudly, an evil grin on her face.

There was a beat of silence before Applejack spoke up. “So, we attack her now, right?”

“Yeah,” Twilight agreed.

“Wait, wait, wait,” Chrysalis said, putting a hoof up to stall them. “Twilight, think about this. You’re the princess of friendship! Think about if my plan fails. Why, we could fall in love only for me to be the one won over by her heart. Surely you can’t pass up this chance to redeem your greatest foe? I know that it's a risk I'm willing to take.”

There was a much longer silence this time before Applejack spoke up. “So… Are we gonna attack her?”

Twilight sighed. “I don’t know, Applejack. I think it might work.”

“Of course it’ll work,” Pinkie told her. “Twilight, you’ll never turn evil. It’s a free redemption!”

Chrysalis chuckled and patted Pinkie’s head. “I think I like you. You’ll make a lovely in-law.” She paused and thought for a moment. “You two are sisters, right?”

Twilight groaned. “At least learn who we all are.”

Without warning, Twilight horn flashed and the world around the group vanished. The darkness and dread of the Everfree Forest was replaced with the bubbly sunshine of Ponyville as Twilight teleported the group back home. Lazy clouds drifted past the town center they found themselves in, filtering the harsh afternoon sun into a pleasant glow.

In the distance, screams could be heard as ponies who recognized the changeling queen ran for their lives.

Twilight looked at her stunned companions, including a dazed Chrysalis, and gave a sly laugh. “Well, here we are. I hope you have a good date planned.” She lowered her voice to a faux whisper. “I have kind of high standards.”

“Wh- now?” Chrysalis took a nervous step back.

“Yes, now,” Twilight said adamantly. “I need to see that you actually mean this.”

Applejack sighed. “Well, ain't no stoppin her now that she's got the idea in her head,” she said. “I guess me and Pinkie oughta go tell the town that Chrysalis is visiting and there’s no need to worry. Have fun with your… Thing.”

“Bye-bye!” Pinkie called out as Applejack dragged her away.

Chrysalis was still stunned, and Twilight got a devious grin. “Just you and me now,” she said. “Have you thought of something to do yet?”

Chrysalis huffed and stood straight up. “Of course I have a date planned out. It’s only a first date, after all. We’ll simply go to a restaurant. Now, if you would… Lead us to your favorite place to eat.”

Twilight laughed and started to walk down a street. “Uh-huh. Let’s go enact this evil plan of yours then.”

The two of them walked side by side through Ponyville, turning heads and sending onlookers running. Twilight smiled sheepishly at the other ponies, trying in vain to convince them that everything was alright, but very few ponies were left outside by the time they reached their destination.

Twilight had brought Chrysalis to a humble little diner at the edge of town. It was small and didn’t serve much, but Twilight knew the owners and they always seemed happy to give her a quiet place to take a break. Most importantly, though, they had outdoor seating. Ponyville was, of course, equipped to serve ponies at least as large as Celestia, but it was a bit of a process. Rather than force awkward last minute preparations on somepony, Twilight waved to the owners through the window and directed Chrysalis to take a seat.

Chrysalis looked down her nose at the tiny table. “This is it? You have nothing more… Grand?”

“This is it,” Twilight told her. “The chairs are a bit small, but Ponyville has remarkably soft ground.” She put a hoof to her mouth and chuckled.

Chrysalis scoffed. “I’m a queen! I will not sit on the ground like a… Like…”

“Like a pony?” Twilight offered before rolling her eyes. “Here,” she said, pushing aside her own chair. Then she sat on the ground herself. Her head barely made it over the edge of the table, so she leaned her chin on it. “Does this make you feel better?”

Chrysalis eyed her. “Not particularly. But…” She let out a heavy sigh and sat down opposite Twilight. “I suppose that after lowering myself enough to ask you out, I’ve no pride left to swallow.”

“I’m sure it’ll grow back,” Twilight said with a grin.

The front door to the diner opened as a stout blue stallion came out to greet them, levitating a notepad beside himself. “It’s, um, lovely to see you, Princess,” He said to Twilight. “I’m afraid I’m not acquainted with your… Guest.”

“I am Queen Chrysalis,” she told him with her head held high. A mischievous look flashed in her eyes, and she reached over to pat Twilight’s head playfully. “Twily and I are forging an everlasting bond.”

Twilight glared at her. “Former queen,” she corrected.

Chrysalis sighed. “How about we compromise and say future queen? Oh, I do like the sound of that.”

Chrysalis laughed as the waiter looked awkwardly between the two. “Well, um, I hope your date goes well,” he said. “What can I get you?”

“Ah.” Chrysalis hummed in thought. “Right. I don’t actually need to eat, so I’ll pass.”

“Nonsense,” Twilight said. “You can’t take a date out to eat and then not eat. Bring us a milkshake to share, that’s always romantic.”

Chrysalis looked slightly horrified, but the stallion nodded and wrote down the order. “Got it, Princess,” he said. “Be back in a jiffy.”

The stallion left to fill their order. As the door clicked shut, Twilight let out a long held breath before staring daggers at Chrysalis. “Do not call me Twily.”

Chrysalis pouted. “Why ever not? It’s such a cute nickname.”

“You know why,” Twilight said angrily. “The banter is one thing, but if you think I’m just going to forget what you did to my brother and Cadence, you’re out of your mind.”

“Fine,” Chrysalis whined. “No nicknames then.”

Twilight sighed and put her head in her hooves. “Chrysalis, what exactly are you hoping to accomplish here? You can’t just annoy me into loving you.”

“Well, it’s only the first date,” Chrysalis replied. “I can’t expect you to see how glorious I am right away. Can’t I have some fun while I wait?”

“That’s not how dating works!”

“What, am I just supposed to pretend I’m some average, boring changeling?” Chrysalis asked.

“That’s not- I-” Twilight growled in frustration. “You’re supposed to try. These feelings don’t just happen out of nowhere, they take work.” She pointed sharply at Chrysalis. “You have to actually be interested in me, not just how you can use me.”

“I’m interested in you,” Chrysalis objected. “I said we would rule together.”

“Some future me you have in your head isn’t me, though. Can you name even one thing you like about me?”

"Of course I can." Chrysalis thought for a moment. “Well… I suppose I admire your strength.”

Twilight leaned back and crossed her legs in front of her chest. “Elaborate.”

“I don’t know,” Chrysalis said defensively. “You’re just the first pony who’s thought they’re my equal and been able to back it up. Listen, I don’t exactly see you falling head over hooves in attraction to me.”

“No, but I’m at least trying. I can imagine finding things I like in you.” She gestured vaguely at Chrysalis. “You still look at me like I’m dirt.”

“I do not. I-” Chrysalis stammered to a stop as the waiter that neither of them had noticed put a drink on the table between them.

“Uhhh,” the waiter muttered, “this one’s on the house, Princess. Just, um, try to enjoy the rest of your night.”

He awkwardly scurried back inside, leaving the couple staring at the milkshake in a stunned silence. A cold wind blew past them, billowing their manes and sending a chill down their spines.

After a minute, Twilight sighed and leaned hard on the table. “Okay, look. The plain fact is that we don’t like each other. This isn’t going to work unless that changes, and it won’t change if we’re both antagonizing each other at every opportunity. Like I said, banter if fine, but… Chrysalis, I’m not evil. There’s a limit, and you’re going to have to find it.”

Chrysalis was silent for a long moment, her eyes locked onto Twilight. She found herself staring at the pony’s mane as it was flowing in the breeze, the rhythmic waves seemingly in tune with her thoughts, until she finally spoke up. "I suppose I was being a touch... Flippant. As you said, this will take work. We'll both have to be mindful of that going forward."

Twilight’s head sagged in relief. “Thank you,” she breathed out. Then she looked back up and forced a smile. “So. How about that milkshake?”

Chrysalis leaned back nervously. “You were serious about that?”

“Of course.” Twilight leaned forward and drank from one of the straws. “At least try it.”

Chrysalis groaned and leaned down to take a drink. Her face contorted as she did, first with disgust, then relaxing back to something neutral, before returning to disgust as she fought to swallow it.

“I’m assuming you didn’t like it?” Twilight asked.

“It was…” She thought for a moment to find the words. “Better than most pony food I’ve eaten. Not that that's a high bar.” She made a show of sticking her tongue out and trying to scrape the taste off.

Twilight let out a soft giggle and grabbed the glass, pulling it closer. “I figured you’d hate it,” she said. “You don’t have to have any more. I just wanted to see if you’d try it, and I am pleased to say that you impressed me.”

Chrysalis huffed and leaned on the table as Twilight sipped more. “Are you going to test me often, princess?”

"Hmm." Twilight thought as she drank her dessert. "I suppose that is what I did, isn’t it? I’m sorry. I’ll try not to make a habit of it.”

Chrysalis gave her a puzzled look. “Sorry? I’m your arch nemesis, some tests are to be expected.”

Twilight shook her head. “Not if we’re dating. I need to learn to trust you, at least a bit.”

Chrysalis watched her in silent thought as Twilight finished off the milkshake. She slurped loudly as she sucked up the last little bits, and when she sat back again she brought a dollop of whipped cream with her, stuck to her nose. Absentmindedly, Chrysalis reached forward and wiped it off.

Twilight was stunned for a moment. “That was… Intimate.”

“Was it?” Chrysalis looked at her questioningly. “You ponies find the strangest things to be meaningful.”

“No, really, it is,” Twilight insisted. “Here, watch.” She levitated a bit of whipped cream up out of the glass and dropped it on Chrysalis’ nose, making the changeling recoil in shock. Then Twilight leaned forward, and… couldn’t quite reach Chrysalis. She wound up having to climb halfway up onto the table before she could reach her date’s nose, picking up the dessert with a quick flick and licking it off her hoof before settling back down at her seat.

Chrysalis was wide-eyed, and Twilight thought she could almost see a hint of red in her cheeks. “Ah. I see.” A cloud blotted out the sun as she coughed awkwardly. “Oh, look at that, it’s dark,” she said suddenly. “I suppose we must bring this date to a close.”

Twilight laughed and grinned. “You’re not escaping that easily,” she told Chrysalis. “Not when we finally started having fun. Come on, there’s something I want to show you.”

“What are you—” Chrysalis was cut off by a flash of Twilight’s horn as she teleported them away. The world around vanished, replaced by a vast darkness. The whistling wind was gone, and now the sound of a distant waterfall filled the air.

Slowly, Chrysalis’ eyes adjusted to the dark, and she took in where they were. They were sitting on a cliff overlooking a vast cave, easily the size of Ponyville. On the far end, water streamed from the wall and into a river that ran past the crags and stalagmites on the cave floor. It should have been pitch dark, but the massive crystals lodged into the walls of the cave reflected a light that seemed to emanate from below the water, giving the world a flickering glow.

Twilight scooted herself closer to Chrysalis. “Like it?” she whispered.

“I—” Chrysalis stared out over the abyss, gazing in wonder, until her eyes stopped to rest on Twilight’s expectant grin. “Yes, Twilight. I do like it.”

Twilight giggled and clapped her hooves together. “I’ve wanted to bring a date here for ages. It’s just incredible, isn’t it?” She looked out wistfully over the landscape. “From up here, it hardly looks real. It’s even better if you’ve been up close. Like, see that stalagmite over there?” She pointed to a little spire of rock near a bend in the river. “It’s bigger than Rarity’s house.”

Chrysalis looked at it in silence for a moment. “Twilight,” she said eventually, “I have no idea how big Rarity’s house is.”

Twilight laughed. “Right. Well, it’s big, is the point.” Casually, Twilight wrapped a leg around one of Chrysalis’. “It really puts into perspective how small we are, and how big Equestria is.”

“You know,” Chrysalis said, “if we ruled Equestria together, you’d be able to see all the places like this in Equestria.”

Twilight sighed. “See, I don’t believe that. You know why? Because you’ve been here before.”

“What?” Chrysalis looked at Twilight. “I have not.”

Twilight nodded. “You have. We’re below Canterlot. Those caves down on the ground are where you dumped me and Cadence.”

Chrysalis looked in wonderment at the caves. “You must be mistaken.”

“I know I’m not. I didn’t think you would recognize it. You got so caught up in the idea of ruling Equestria, you never stopped to look at the place you wanted to rule.”

“I suppose I didn’t,” Chrysalis said. She looked down at Twilight, watching the little pony as she gazed out into the cave.

“You know,” Twilight said without turning her head, “I think this is the part where we’re supposed to kiss.”

“Wh— It—” Chrysalis stammered.

Twilight turned to her and grinned. “Kidding.” She got closer to Chrysalis and leaned up against her. “Maybe next time.”

“Maybe,” Chrysalis agreed, and they fell into a comfortable quiet, just watching the beauty together.