• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 1,114 Views, 45 Comments

In and Out of Phase - Vic Fontaine



A life remembered is a life well lived. But what happens when the memories begin to disappear? *A Sunset Shipping Contest Entry*

  • ...
4
 45
 1,114

Chapter 9

“Oh for god’s sake. I’m sorry I forgot to check the bag for extra wasabi, okay? You still have two whole things of it there, so ration it for once.”

“I’m not getting snippy. I’m annoyed too you know. This isn’t the first time this has happened either, so it’s not my fault.”

“Yes, I know, Twi. This sushi place is way closer to us than my work, but the staff’s not as attentive. We’ve been over this already. Many times!”

“Last time I tried bringing take out home from work you complained it was cold when I got home! So I go here instead, remember? Maybe we wouldn’t have to use this half-assed place so often if you’d just meet me for dinner now and then. Of course, that’d require you to leave the office for more than five minutes.”

“Yes I know. And as soon as you finish that tuna roll you’ll be holed up in that home office of yours for the rest of the night too! And when I wake up tomorrow you’ll already be back on campus!”

“Look! I’m sorry that my job as a service manager at a restaurant isn’t enough to pay the bills, but it’s what I went to school for! It’s what I want to do.”

“I’m working hard too! Both of us are! But that’s no reason to fly off the handle at me over something stupid like some missing wasabi! I’m not one of your half-wit lab assistants!”

“If you want less takeout, be home more often so we can cook more! You do live here, remember? With me, your wife? This is a home, not a crash pad between lab sessions!”

“Fine! Go eat in the lab then! Hopefully you can find your dirty plate later before it gets lost beneath a stack of papers again like last time!”

“Save the lectures, Twi! I’ve heard enough of them! And while you’re at it, use that fancy laptop to look up sushi joints in Seattle! Maybe you’ll find one more to your liking there instead!”