• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 1,113 Views, 45 Comments

In and Out of Phase - Vic Fontaine



A life remembered is a life well lived. But what happens when the memories begin to disappear? *A Sunset Shipping Contest Entry*

  • ...
4
 45
 1,113

Chapter 14

Dear Princess Twilight,

I’m sorry for the delayed reply to your last message. Between doctor’s appointments, more doctor’s appointments, and still trying to go to work in between, I’ve barely had time to sleep much less get the journal out. I’m sorry about that.

But, we finally have an answer to what’s been afflicting Twilight all this time.

Did you know that less than five percent of all Alzheimer's cases manifest before the victim reaches age sixty-five? Sure, five percent of an estimated thirty billion cases worldwide is still a big number. But still. Less than five percent. You’d have to be really unlucky to fall into such a small fraction of an immeasurably big pool.

Yet here we are. Here Twilight is. Fifty-three years old, physically healthy, still as sharp as a tack, and still at the pinnacle of her career as the head of research at the University and an acclaimed expert in multiple industries.

And it’s all about to be stolen from her.

We got a second opinion. Then a third. Unsurprisingly, Twilight even re-ran some of their tests on herself. But it all lines up. As it turns out, nearly everything we had chalked up to work stress, or a lack of sleep, or too little vacation time used, or just getting old and gray - they were symptoms, Twilight. Early ones, but symptoms all the same. And we missed them.

I should have known something was wrong when she began forgetting her lunch more often than not. Or mixing up her to-do lists. Or getting lost just driving to the store without the GPS turned on. Twi kept ignoring it, or making excuses, or both. Dammit I should have pushed harder. I should have made her go to the doctor sooner. If I had, maybe they could have done something sooner.

Maybe we could have avoided this altogether. I just… just…

Why, Princess? Why her? Why us? Tartarus, why anyone at all?

-Sunset

P.S. – I don’t know if this disease has an equivalent in Equestria, or something even kind of similar. But if so, I’d appreciate any research or information you can find. Pony minds aren’t human minds, but I have to try everything. If not for me, then for her.