• Published 14th Sep 2019
  • 11,250 Views, 153 Comments

Why does nobody want me? - RadBunny



Silverstream finds out what Grampa Gruff said during the parent teacher conference; she doesn't take it well.

  • ...
4
 153
 11,250

To be wanted.

“Why does nobody want me?”

Silverstream had never seen Gallus cry, not fully. Not when his sides got scratched up on a camping trip or even when being stuck by a dozen bees. Yet tears had been streaming down the usually sarcastic and stoic gryphon’s cheeks as he had passed by Silverstream, heading towards a secluded section of the school gardens a few moments ago.

It was one of the few times in Silverstream’s life she had been rendered speechless and that was an odd moment indeed. She had no words, claws partially outstretched to give Gallus’s shoulder a pat- but he was already out of reach.

It had taken only a bit of asking around to discover the cause; a shouting match between the new school counselor and Grampa Gruff during the parent/guardian conferences a few days ago. Gallus had been distant and distracted the past few days; now she knew why.

As Silverstream trotted along the Ponyville streets towards a figure in the distance, her ears flattened at the previous thought.

Parent and Guardian conferences. Who else in the school doesn’t have parents to visit? A few?

Or just one?


A few hours ago, in their dormitories, Yona had actually backed up slightly after relaying the experience, the yak wincing as Silverstream growled.

“Is friend Silverstream ok?”

“Oh, she’s definitely not ok,” Smolder had chimed in, “I mean, what if somepony said those things about Sandbar?”

“YONA WOULD SMASH THEIR........oooooooooooh,” the yak mused, wincing once again. “Now Yona understand why Ocellus didn’t want to be around Gallus for a few days; bad feelings? But Silverstream and Gallus aren’t like Yona and Sandbar?”

“Not yet, but I had hoped for the upcoming dance…” Silverstream added, taking a few deep breaths. “Look, that’s just not ok! What kind of creature says that to another? One who doesn’t even have parents?”

Yona gestured outside, a familiar gryphon walking around the edges of the school and towards Ponyville.

“That creature?”

As Silverstream zipped out of the dormitory, Smolder smacked a set of claws to her face.

“Uh oh.”


Silverstream tried to breath, genuine anger began to make her claws shake.

Is this what it’s like to really care about someone? How DARE that jerk-

“What are’ya staring at missy?” a familiar gruff gryphon hissed, eyes widening as Silverstream snarled in return.

“A rather lousy gryphon, apparently.”

“What? Who are you?” Grampa Gruff replied with a dismissive wave of his wing.

“Why did you say it?” Silverstream asked, still staring at the older gryphon.

“Say what? I haven’t said two words to you before! I’m just filling out these blasted tax forms for that school of friend…thing.”

“About Gallus. You don’t want to be his guardian, nobody does. Why would you say that?”

The gryphon’s lone eye widened in understanding but he did nothing but wave a set of claws.
“Why wouldn’t I? It’s true. Even with Griffinstone ‘recovering’, nobody cares about some orphan who attends a pony school. I’m the only one with legal experience in that dump! I had no choice in the matter!”

Silverstream’s claws curled into a fist, and she took a few deep breaths to try and calm herself.
“Nobody cares?” she whispered, taking a step forward to poke the gryphon in the chest with a claw. “Nobody CARES? Who are you to say that?” she asked, voice slowly increasing in volume and intensity. It was only now that Grampa Gruff realized his mistake as a few ponies looked his way. If there was one thing gryphons valued as much as bits, it was their own reputation.

“Now hold on, missy, I-”

“Oh no, you don’t get to say anything else!” Silverstream hissed, glaring at the increasingly uncomfortable gryphon. “You think that just because you’re so unlikeable that Gallus is the same? That just because you don’t care about what others say means no-creature does? Who are you to tell Gallus nobody cares!”

“I never said-”

“You said exactly that! Nobody else wanted to be his guardian, so you did it. What made it tolerable? The tax breaks? The reputation? It surely wasn’t out of the good of your heart! You took the first chance on never coming back here and ran with it!” Silverstream growled, her beak now pressed up against the other gryphon’s.

“Plenty of creatures want to hang around Gallus, and how dare you tell the one gryphon I care about that He. Isn’t. Wanted!

Seeing a raging fire behind the two violet eyes that glared his way, Grampa Gruff struggled to backpedal both literally and figuratively. Accusing gazes from ponies were turned his way, the gryphon starting to sweat bullets.

“I never meant to-”

“Oh, but you did,” Silverstream replied, still glaring at the uncomfortable gryphon. “Gallus doesn’t deserve somecreature like you, and I can’t believe somecreature would act so heartless.”

The fire sputtered to a low simmer behind Silverstream’s gaze, the hippogriff shaking her head almost sadly. “If everygriff was like Gallus I think Griffinstone would be a much better place. Instead, they’re stuck with you.”

Grampa Gruff had no words for the hippogriff that trotted off, leaving him backed against a wall as ponies began to whisper with rather nasty looks sent his way. A certain Yak and Dragon caught his gaze- and the older gryphon thought it wise to leave.

Quickly.


Silverstream made it back to the school before her limbs started to shake, the student sitting against a tree in the gardens as her eyes widened in shock.

“Oh, I just did that,” she whispered. “What in the world was I thinking? I just shouted at a representative from Griffinstone! Oh, I’m in so much trouble.”
And yet I’d do it again.

“I think you’ll get a pass. Most of the teachers like you anyhow.”

Silverstream’s heart skipped a beat, a familiar blue gryphon sitting next to her.
“Gallus?”

“Hey, Silver.”

Her cheeks reddened slightly, and Silverstream tapped her claws together in embarrassment.
“I don’t suppose you totally didn’t hear all of that?”

“Well, when Yona and Smolder dashed out of the school like a pack of Pukwudgies were chasing them, I followed. So, I heard quite a bit.”

Oh.

Silverstream’s wings drooped, the hippogriff shaking her head.
“I’m sorry, I just couldn’t help it! I heard the things that gryphon said about you, and just-”

The fact Gallus reached over and held her talons made Silverstream’s words grind to a halt, the other gryphon looking around briefly to see if anyone was close enough to see or hear them.

“Don’t say you’re sorry, not for that,” he mumbled, not quite looking at Silverstream just yet. “No creature has ever stood up for me like that. Sure, the counselor did, but that’s different. So, thank you.”

Silverstream let out a slight squeak as Gallus gave her claws a squeeze, her cheeks burning.

“I know you’re not really a hugger but...” she whispered, scooting forwards to wrap the gryphon up in a tight embrace.

“I’ll let it slide this one time,” Gallus replied with a chuckle as he returned the gesture, then seeming to fidget nervously. “And…maybe a few times after the dance too? If you’d like to go?”

“I’d r-really like that.”

Silverstream could only smile as the words left her beak, fully enjoying that she was finally able to hug her favorite gryphon without him simply tolerating it.

“Hey, Gallus?” she whispered, the pair separating as the gryphon awkwardly looked over to her with a slight blush on his cheeks.

“Yeah?”

“You are wanted,” Silverstream whispered, a bit of emotion rising in her throat. “By so many creatures. Yona, Smolder, Sandbar, Ocellus, the teachers; lots of creatures want to hang around you, want you to be in their life. Don’t ever doubt that.”

His eyes flickered over to Silverstream’s briefly, a tentative smile starting to slide onto his beak.
“What about you?”

Silverstream let out a snort, darting forwards to wrap the gryphon up in a tighter hug than before with an affectionate grin.

“Especially me.”

Author's Note:

Just a random one-shot idea that popped into my head after viewing the newest episode. There was a rather sad and borderline dark insinuation there which I wanted to add a bit more levity to.
Gallus and Silverstream are also adorable. So I pretty much had to write this.

Did anyone else have the urge to smack a certain Gruff Gryphon? Anyone? Just me?

Comments ( 153 )

Yeah you pretty much had Silver saying what I wanted to say to Gruff when he said those words about Gallus! *big applause*

9832913
Glad I nailed it! That one scene and seeing Gallus's dismal expression the entire time, just....ouch.

Damn, you wasted no time on something like this. Good job.

9832917
I literally watched the episode, and my brain went 'Hey. HEY. You should write something.' A few minutes of brainstorming aaaaaand here we are. :rainbowlaugh: Glad you liked it!

9832915
Indeed, despite her flaws I'm glad Trixie told him off in the episode.

9832921
I agree. She'd be a horrible Vice-Headmare....but fantastic on telling a certain gryphon to brush off!

That was fantastic. The idea of Silverstream getting so angry and telling someone off sounds out of character, but not the way you wrote it. It was entirely believable, and such a beautiful gesture. The bit at the end nearly made me tear up.

Wonderful job :twilightsmile:

9832941
I'm so glad it felt so! :twilightsmile:I wanted to capture that Silverstream is just excitable/emotional- and we just haven't seen that emotion directed in defense of somecreature yet!

9832994
That's fantastic :rainbowlaugh: PREACH TRIXIE!

A certain Yak and Dragon caught his gaze- and the older gryphon thought it wise to leave.

Quickly.

Very quickly. As in don't walk, run. :trixieshiftleft:

Y'know, thinking about it, the ship featured here is nice and all, it truly is...but not necessarily required. By which I mean that I could see pretty much all of Gallus's friends doing this, or something much like it, if given the chance, romance or no. But then all that says is that Gallus has some pretty great friends across the board anyway. :twilightsmile:

9833079
Don't mess with the Yak or Dragon! :rainbowlaugh:

Hmm. A fair point, and I agree; it would be possible for any of his friends to do so, depending on the circumstance. I am obviously biased though :twilightblush:

Reminds me of when she told off the illusion of the storm king. Great job.

9833131
HIPPOGRIFF POWER! :pinkiehappy: Glad you liked it!

9832994
I like it. Nice addition to the shipping.

The story was totally worth reading. Now I need to see that episode..

That was cute.

This was nicely cathartic.
I haven't even seen the latest seasons but that didn't take away from this story and these characters, it was great seeing Silverstream stand up for her friend, especially for something so personal, and so painful.

Finally! Gallus still owes her Hug Time. Back in the cave, he said, and I quote: "Hug time later!".

Well, it's later now. Prepare to be hugged, Frowny Blue Catbirb of Happiness. With interest.

Spike's not the only one who gets a birb waifu. Birb's need birbs too. Adorable

9833507
:rainbowlaugh: Yup!

9833461
That is true. You may want to check out Stream of Silver Heart of Gold....:moustache: That phrase makes an appearance actually.

9833413
I'm so glad! The goal was to have it flow naturally and seem like a possible extension of the show itself, if anything.

9833396
:yay:

Silverstream/Gallus seems to be a popular ship. Yona/Sandbar gained popularity once it was cannonized and it is cannon they not only date but end up together in the end the pairings feel good together, though I think the Young six don't all pair off, Ocelleus and Smolder just don't fit together, I could see Ocelleus being bi(what is gender to a shapeshifter?) maybe even Smolder too( though less likely) just not with each other. But as said I can see Silverstream pairing with Gallus and giving Gruff a piece of her mind about hurting her man!

9833529
I don't know about the spoiler part; but I've always seen Gallus and Silverstream ending up together. There's multiple hints here and there, and even if it's never really confirmed it just seems natural character-wise. But other than that, I see it as a fairly open ended thing.

Did anyone else have the urge to smack a certain Gruff Gryphon? Anyone?

A sea of hands, hooves, wings and paws raise into the air

Just me?

Did anyone else have the urge to smack a certain Gruff Gryphon? Anyone? Just me?

Oh, yeah! I most certainly did. That's why, even if Trixie didn't handle the situation "diplomatically", I pretty much stood up and applauded when Trixie told him off. Arguably her best moment in the episode, in my opinion.

Well... That was sweet. (Note to self, don’t stay in Ponyville if I ever end up in Equestria: they’re too emotional.)

Loved this short! And aside from Yona X Sandbar, this is probably the best ship in the School of Friendship.

9833959
I agree! They're just adorable.
9833893
The fact Gallus looks so despondent the entire time was just a 'ouch' moment. Go Trixie!
9833707
:rainbowlaugh:

This was really well-done, I got a real kick out of it! Good for you, Silverstream! :twilightsmile:

I will always support this ship, it's been hinted at a bit. Gallus should move in with Silverstream on Mount Aris since there's really nothing for him back at Griffonstone, and based on her love for stairs I'm sure she prefers to live on land.

9834212
I'm glad! And go Silverstream go! :rainbowlaugh:

9834221
Yeah, there's been a lot of hints. Quite frankly it just makes sense character-wise. Even if never confirmed (or if the 'writers' blatantly try and sink it...) I will refuse to canonize such a decision. :rainbowlaugh: *looks at other stories* Then again, I'm also severely biased!
Something about rejecting their reality and substituting my own....:trixieshiftright:

I cried. Bravo on all counts. This was fabulous!

Wanderer D
Moderator

Cute, but I really don't see Grandpa Gruff just being intimidated by Silverstream's righteous anger. The dude is used to stuff like that. He's from Griffonstone. Silverstream might scream all she wants (for good reason, granted) but the chances of him backing down or being walked over and then scurrying away are closer to zero if he's in character.

9834427
Hmm, that's a very good point, and I'd agree. Perhaps I didn't portray that aspect as fully as I should have. I wanted to show that he's more concerned about his reputation- not necessarily just Silverstream, but somewhat. Only then maybe seeing that he's the focus of a good deal of negative attention would he possibly scurry away.

9834378
Hopefully good tears!:twilightsmile:

9834455
It was ALL the good tears. As an adoptive mom myself, I just wanted to scoop Gallus up, hug him, and tell him that somebody will always want him and that Grampa Gruff doesn't know what he's missing!

9834458
Awwww. Yeah, Gallus's expression during the whole conference was just a very 'ow...' moment.

9834460
My heart was bleeding for him. I couldn't stop crying and had to call my daughter to tell her I loved her because I was so at my maximum.

9834532
Poor Gallus. HE IS SO WANTED BY EVERYBODY IN THIS FANDOM!

9834652
I KNOW! Hopefully he ends up happy....


9834673
:yay:

Silverstream let out a slight squeak as Gallon gave her claws a squeeze, her cheeks burning.

That should say Gallus, not Gallon.

I'm going to echo what 9834427 said. Grandpa Gruff wouldn't have been intimidated in that situation. It was OOC for him to get put in his place so easily.

But hey, that's not a deal-breaker. I'm always down for Gallstream shipping, and you delivered the goods. Bless.

9834730
And now that I think about it, I agree; Perhaps I should have pushed more the 'concerned about his reputation' rather than Silverstream. But then again, we don't have TOO much to draw on for him. I appreciate the feedback; hindsight is 20/20!

9834713
:trixieshiftleft: :trixieshiftright: No idea what you're talking about.
Thank you!

ANW

If weren't for the fact that his claws are still sharp, I would pluck his feathers off.
Right after plucking a certain griffion tour guide, who would leave someone in trouble behind if they didn't have any bits to pay her.

Haven't had a new Gallstream Fic in a while, this was a nice read that was also uplifting and cute.

9835105
True, the ship kind of sailed, but then lurked. (I certainly crafted my own flagship and sent it sailing with a LONG series on it...that I need to clean up actually, :trixieshiftright: ) But I'm glad you like it! The ship is still sailing for many!

9835097
:rainbowlaugh: Well, gryphons be gryphons. I thought in this case it was especially cruel...and if you see how Gallus looks during the entire exchange....:fluttercry:

Oh man, this was so good. The ending was so sweet my eyes nearly leaked liquid manliness. :pinkiesad2:

Unfortunately for Grampa Gruff, he was flammable.

Unfortunately for the readers there was a complete lack of fire.


And extreme lack of death.

9834753
I don't think he'd care about reputation either. Gruff lives in an area where people regularly would cheat and do anything for money. Including watch people die if they didn't pay them for their time along with the fact that high apathy towards fellow griffons and others is a standard ideal outside of "What can they do to enhance my life?". Why would he care about what ponies think? He's already apparently a high ranking (if not the highest) of that area and the ponies can't change that in the least. The fact that he's actually doing this without payment (despite being an asshole) still makes him out to be one of the surprisingly better Griffons from that area. Having to deal with someone potentially far worse in that area would actually only be a problem for Ponies.

Login or register to comment