• Published 5th Oct 2019
  • 1,219 Views, 15 Comments

Shivering entrance - Hkh4



an odd tall being appears on the outskirts of the crystal empire

  • ...
15
 15
 1,219

Chap 2

.Brent was escorted to the library as he added to his mental map of this place.

i Always was best at mapping buildings. He thought to himself before arriving at some smaller than the dining halls but equally as elegant doors. When Brent walked in he was awed at the sheer quantity of books not even his local library had as many as here. He turned.

"Thank you. What's your name?" Brent said to the guard.

"Oh, my name is Lacey." She answered before turning to stand outside the room.

Brent pulled the doors closed before going into the library looking for a history or geography book. After a while he found one of each and sat by a stained glass window for natural light. Pulled out his phone booted up his headphones put his music on shuffle then began to read. The first song was Cohen's masterpiece. And with it playing apparently caused enough of a spike in Brents ambient chaos magic it caused both Cadence and Flurry to jolt. Despite the amount still being low. Brent unaware of this began reading. Up first was geography. He was not aware when in came Flurry Heart.

Who decided to simply watch him as he read, well more watch his magic it would spike and decrease with each song that played depending on the nature or associated memories of them. After a few hours Brent had finished reading the books powered down his headphones put the books in his satchel then went to put the books away when he noticed the watching alicorn and was a bit spooked.

"What the hell?!" He shouted at Flurry. Who fell out the chair she was on at this outburst. She had gotten so focused on his magic that she didn't notice him moving.

"Why are you watching me?" Brent aggressively asked.

She stammered a bit as he approached. "W-w-well we noticed a spike in chaos magic coming from you so i came to see what was happening. what were you listening to that caused that?" She said.

"Well several songs of mine could be considered chaotic in a way two that spring to mind the most are cohen's masterpiece, and Kandinsky's quandary." Brent calmly said.

"I have no clue what either of those are." Flurry replied.

"Allow me to show you." Brent searched through his library before beginning to play Cohen's masterpiece. It was an impossibly complex song to Flurry. While it played Brent explained it was intended to be torture to the player.

"Who would create such a song?" She asked.

"Garry Schyman." Brent replied then went quiet to listen. Flurry did the same.

After it finished, Brent went to put the books away as well as grab a few for later reading. Flurry offered to help but Brent refused

"I'm about twice your height sure your a bit taller than the normal ponies still nothin on me. Sure you got magic but want to owe you all as little as possible." Brent said the last few words with a slightly hostile tone.

"Sorry not a people person." Brent quickly said noticing his prior tone.

"It's fine. Though a tad odd." Flurry replied. He's very untrusting and doesn't like getting help even with the disabilities he has. Seems to be a kind of living contradiction though actually it may just be his will or some conditioning from his past. Flurry thought to herself then noticed Brent was leaving.

Without saying a word or hesitating he pushed the door open and started walking back to his room using his mental map.

Theoretically it should be around lunch but I’m not hungry in the slightest. Eh got plenty of fat to use as fuel. He mentally dialogued before becoming aware of hoof steps behind him he turned as fast as he could without throwing his balance. "Why are you following me?" He irritatedly asked Flurry Heart.

"Well to be entirely honest, I'm curious about a few aspects of yours." Flurry calmly said.

Brent just sighed and kept walking.

"Like how do you know where you're going? You've only been here a day."

"Data retention is my brains specialty well what's left of it at least." Brent said still sounding irritated at her. "Audio and visual especially." He continued.

Flurry hummed slightly at this and continued to follow Brent much to his dismay.

She is kind of cute but still don't really want to interact with her currently. Can't exactly tell her to go away either. Don't know this place well enough to try losing her plus im too slow realistically speaking. Wonder where Lacey went.

"Could you do me a favor Flurry Heart. right? Ask your mom if I could go to get some clothes feel weird without a shirt." Brent said looking back at her before almost losing his balance and looking back forward as a result.

"Sure." Flurry said before running off. Brent sighed with slight relief and came to his room a moment later. Went in plugged his headphones into his battery since they had started beeping at him while he was reading. laid the battery so it would get light from the ceiling light. Laid down and turned his music back on then started to read a fiction book he picked up from the library. He found it funny reading fiction in a world that felt like fiction.

Author's Note:

Music links
Cohens: https://youtu.be/nlu2z2gkhhI