• Published 14th Aug 2012
  • 7,513 Views, 103 Comments

When I Can Fly - Poppinfresh



Rainbow Dash confronts her own feelings and others about them.

  • ...
6
 103
 7,513

When We Can Fly

When I can fly, I can make things better.

She’s got tears running down her face, just like me.
We must look so stupid, the two of us. Both crying with our red eyes and our heavy frowns, trying to make eye contact with each other but looking away as soon as our sights drift too close.
Rarity and Applejack are looking between both of us, they have no idea what they should say or do.
We’ve all been standing here awkwardly for about thirty seconds. I think I need to say something.

“We need to talk, Twilight.”

She lowers her head more.
“I don’t think that’s a good idea dear.” Rarity says. She’s obviously walking on eggshells here.

“I need to talk to Twilight, Rarity.”

“Ah don’t think she wants to talk ta anyone right now.” Applejack stands up, getting ready to step in if I push the subject.
I get ready for a fight, I need to get this out of the way. After that She and Rarity and Applejack and everypony else can think whatever they want. I’ll leave forever if I have to, I don’t care, just so long as I get a few minutes to say what I have to.

I glare at Applejack.

She glares back.

Rarity awkwardly smiles and steps away a bit.

“It’s ok.”

Everypony in the room jumps a bit. I don’t know why, but She’s the last pony I expected to speak up about the situation. Even though this is Her and mine’s business.

“Rainbow Dash can stay.”

“Are ya sure, sugarcube?” Applejack asks.

“Yeah, it’s ok Applejack. She can talk to me.” She’s still choking back tears.

“Alright then dear, whatever you want. Applejack and I are going to take a short walk over to Sugarcube Corner, if you need us we won’t be far away.”

“Thanks, Rarity.”

Applejack and Rarity head down the stairs and leave intentionally slowly, eyeing me on the way out.

Rarity looks back into the library nervously.
"I don't know what this is about dear, but you two obviously have something to work out.
Don't worry about Spike either, he's at Sugarcube Corner as well, playing with Applebloom."

Applejack leaves me with a warning.

“Listen Dash, you and I are friends, always have been, always will be.” She whispers into my ear. “But you really upset that poor thing today. I don’t know what you said, or what you did, but she’s been crying non-stop for the past two hours and there ain’t been nothin’ either of us can do to calm her down. I don’t know why you need to be here, but don’t you dare hurt that poor filly anymore, or you’ll be answerin’ to me. Ya hear?”

I shrug her off.
Applejack walks out and shuts the door behind her, frustrated.
I don’t mean to be jerk, and I feel kind of bad I guess. But I also don’t care, because it’s not any of her business. I need to talk alone, and she should respect that. And it’s not like I’m not hurt either. I’m the one who laid out my feelings on got laughed at! I stood up and did one of the most difficult things I’ve ever done! And I was the one who was LAUGHED AT for it!
If She hurts me, Applejack and everypony else is gonna have to deal with me!
Ya ‘hear that!?’

I’m brought out of my thoughts by a quiet sniffle.

She’s still crying, even though it’s really soft. She’s still crying.
Those eyes, glistening with tears, and the light in the room is causing them to shine. She’s looking right at me with those beautiful eyes, and her face, oh that face, it’s so sad just to see Her not smile I think I might start sobbing.
All my anger, and all my apathy melts away.

I care.
I can’t NOT care when she’s crying.
I need to do everything I can to fix this.
I’ll pour every last bit of energy I have into helping Her, every last second of my life I’ll use to help Her, I’ll sell my soul and spend the rest of eternity on the moon to help Her.

I just want to see Her smile again.

I just want Her to be happy. I don’t care about what happens to me, I just want to know that She’ll be happy. I can’t live with myself if I know that I made Her sad and I didn’t do everything in my power to make Her happy again.

“Are- Are you gonna just stare at me?”

I snap out of it again.
I’ve been staring, that’s awkward. Hayseeds!

I stumble out the best response I can think of. “Uh… no… I guess not…”

Why do I have to be so bad at this?

“So, are you gonna talk then?”
She’s stopped crying, now she’s just looking at me, she looks kind of mad now.

How do I handle this?

“Uh… yeah… I’ll talk.”

She’s still just staring at me.
I still don’t know what I should say.

“Twilight,” I say sighing, “I- I- I meant what I said.”
Her stare gets a little colder.
“I meant what I said, and- and- well I still mean it!”

Uh oh, I’m not stopping now.

“I mean it! All my life whenever I felt this way I hid myself! I’d go and fly, and I’d fly and I’d fly and I’d fly! …I’d fly until I couldn’t think anymore, ‘till I couldn’t feel anymore, ‘till there was nothing left in world and it was just me and the clouds and everypony else was just gone. Then I’d fly some more. It worked really well too, I’ve managed to be happy and enjoy my friends. I’ve hung out with and saved my heroes’ lives. I’ve become an Element of Harmony, and I’ve been to the end of the world and back with all of my friends. And every time I’d start to feel like somepony was becoming more than a friend to me… I’d just fly some more.
I can’t let that happen with you, Twilight. I’ve tried to outfly my feelings for you, I’ve done everything I can to try and move on and get over you, but I can’t do it. You’re too- too special to me Twilight!”

Here come the tears.

“No matter what! I just want you to be happy! I want you to have the most amazing life and meet the most amazing ponies! And I want you to feel like somepony the way I feel about you! And I don’t care what I have to do to give you that! I’ll leave Ponyville forever! I’ll leave Equestria forever! I’ll fly right up and live on the moon forever if I have to! Just promise me that you’ll be happy.”

I’m crying really hard now. I’m an emotional wreck, but I already feel better.
I said what I had to, and now that I’ve said what I needed, I can leave.
I can heal now.

I start to stumble out the door, struggling to see past my tears.

“Dashy, wait.” The tiniest voice squeaks out behind me.

That can’t be Her, that voice seems so small.

“I don’t want you to leave. Please, I promise it won’t make me happy if you leave.”

I turn around. I’m really confused.

I fight past a sob. “You want… me?”

“I want you to stay, Dashy.”

“I…”

I start to walk back in really slowly.

“It wouldn’t make me happy if you left. I don’t want you to go. I just, well when you said… I didn’t want to let myself believe it.”

Now she’s gonna cry. I’m making up for a lifetime of unexpressed emotion in one night.

“I just thought you might be dazed from my spell, or that maybe you were just joking. I was worried that if I took you seriously you might laugh at me like ‘What!? You’re serious?! Take it easy Twi, I’m just fooling around! Can’t take a joke, egghead?’ I didn’t want to let myself think I could ever have you.”

I can’t believe what I’m hearing. “You feel that way about me?”
She nods quietly.

This is hard for me to handle. Two seconds ago I was willing to condemn myself to a life of loneliness and sadness. Now I’m listening to Her- listening to Twilight, and fireworks are going off in my head.

Twilight gives me an awkward smile.
I’m grinning from ear to ear.

“Come here ya egghead!” I jump and fly clear across the room and grab her, tackling her onto her bed in a giant hug.

She squeals a little out of surprise.
She’s so adorable.

I’m on top of her, looking into Twilight’s eyes.
“Twilight?” I ask.
“Yeah?” She’s smiling back at me.
“Can we stop being just friends?”
“What do you mean?”
I laugh a little, “Like, can we be fillyfriends, ya egghead.”
Twilight smiles at me.
I love it when she smiles, so much.
“I’d like that, Dashy.”

Lights explode in my head. WOW! This just happened!
Twilight Sparkle, my fillyfriend!
This is happening way too fast. What’s going on? This morning I was trying to forget everything and move on with my life. Now I’m smiling and looking into the eyes of the pony I want most.
How should I feel?
How should act?
What should I do?

I’m kissing her.

Wait, I’m kissing her?
I’m kissing Twilight Sparkle!
I’m kissing the greatest pony in the world!
This. Is. So. Awesome!

It’s everything I want it to be. It’s deep, it’s passionate, it’s fun and cute, but it’s also beautiful and perfect.
How do I get this much emotion from one kiss!?
I pull back. We’re both reeling from sharing that moment with each other.

Twilight laughs a little, “That was…” She laughs a little more.

I kiss her again.
I could do this forever, she’s so perfect.

“Hey Twi.” I whisper gently to her.
“Yeah?”
“I wanna show you something.”
“What is it?”
“Here.” I stand up and open a large window. “Get on my back.”

Twilight gets on my back, she’s already holding on tight.
She’s so perfect.

We take off out the window.
The storm is over, and the other weather ponies have moved the clouds out of the way. It’s just a fantastic, starry night. I want to show Twilight what life is like in the sky, I want to share my world with her.
It’s a little more difficult to fly with her on my back, but I can do it. I can do anything now, anything.

“This is amazing!” Twilight is amazed at what she sees.
It’s pretty awesome. Down below Ponyville is letting off a small, warm glow. In the distance, Canterlot is a glowing star. Up this high, we’re completely surrounded by bright sparkling stars.

“You see this every day?” She asks in wonder.
“Yup, every day. I’ve always loved being in the air.”
“I can see why! This is simply incredible! I need to work on a flight spell as soon as possible now! The maps I could draw, the observations I could make! I never realized how wonderful this is! Rainbow Dash, promise me you’ll take me up here more often?”

“You just said you were gonna learn a flying spell you crazy pony.”

Twilight nuzzles against me more, “Yeah, but I want you take me up here too.”

She’s so perfect.

“Twilight, I’ll take you up here any time you want. You just ask.
When I can fly, I can clear out my head, and I can fix any problem. And when I’m with you, I don’t have any problems. I’ve never been able to share this with anypony before, and I want to share this with you again and again and again.”

“Please do.” She says, drifting off a little.

I smirk a little. “Alright sleepyhead. But first let’s get you in bed, it’s been a long day.”
“It has been, hasn’t it…”

I fly back down to her library, landing as softly as I can in the window. I set her down gently in her bed, I can’t resist climbing in after her and holding her close to me.

It’s been a crazy day, and it all catches up with me as I realize how tired I am.
There’s a lot to do, and a lot to talk about. I wanna talk to Twilight forever, and listen to her talk. I want to know everything about her that I didn’t already know. I want to spend the rest of my life with her, I want do more amazing things with her as we create memories that grow sweeter with age.
But for now, there’s just tomorrow. We’ll sort everything out with Rarity and Applejack, and I’ll apologize for scaring everypony in town by almost killing myself.
Looking back on it now, I think flew next to a lightning bolt when I exited the clouds. Ponies must have thought I was struck before I glided down.

Today was a crazy day.

But now I’m here. I’m holding the love of my life in my arms as she peacefully falls asleep. I’m really looking forward to everything I’m going to do in my life now. I know that no matter what, me and Twilight are gonna make it.
I know that it sounds crazy. Me and Twi only just started sharing our feelings for each other, but I feel something between us, and it’s more than anything I’ve ever felt. It’s absolutely magical. It would gross me out and I’d normally make fun of myself if it didn’t feel so perfect.
But it does.
It’s absolutely perfect.
She’s absolutely perfect.

Boy am I sleepy.
I’m almost completely out.

“Twilight Sparkle?”

“Yeah?” She’s almost asleep too.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too, Rainbow Dash.”

Comments ( 57 )

D'AAAAAAWWWWWW! SOO cuuuuute! :rainbowkiss:

I think I just got diabetes from reading that.

1097075
The good kind, right?

1097079
Is there any other kind after reading something like this?

1097096
I suppose not.
Thanks for reading!

1097079 well heres my medical bill i ecpect you to pay for it
insulin for diabetes
heart transplant for heart exploding
anti-DAWWWW attack medication
heart transplant for second heart exploding <those are not cheap>
that rounds up to about
15 :scootangel:'s
and
5:moustache:'s



it was that good

Diabetes… gah… it's so… adorable… *has heart attack*

SO MUCH D'AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

That was really just...so cute. I loved it. I would like to see everyone's reactions though.

I'll be honest, I've never seen a first person style writing quite like yours. I like it! Nice work!

I can only hope for maybe a continuation of this. You nailed RD perfectly!

I can't get enough of these good first person fics!

who the hell would downvote this!!?

I love this! :heart: :rainbowlaugh::twilightblush:

This is one of the best writings I've ever heard. The style of writing is absolutely fabulous, darling! c:

1097358
Those who have loved... and lost.
They never allowed themselves to get past their own first chapter.

I usually don't like stories where one of the mane 6 is in love with another mane 6. But I love the emotion from RD and your take on her constant flying. :rainbowkiss::twilightsmile:

A few glaring errors aside -Mostly spelling errors and left out words that make a sentence incomplete- this was a really nice story, with on of my all time favorite pairings. It would be so awesome if you made a sequel.

So full of D'awwww.

And it's unique enough to add some points from it into my notes! :twilightsmile:
Most stories have the same thing, but this one has a few unique parts that I can use that I don't already have.

So, thank you! :twilightsheepish:

Well you guys are all great. I'm glad I decided to start posting my fanfiction here.
Some of you asked for a sequel or continuation of some sort, of which I am more than happy to provide (seriously, you guys are going to inflate my ego to dangerous levels, you're all awesome).

I'm already working on a sequel in fact. So if all goes well that should be up no later than two or three days from now.

Once again, thanks for reading!

P.S. With a little more proofreading, do you guys think this could make it onto EqD? You all have made me kind of proud of my story and getting onto EqD would be pretty awesome so I might give it a shot.

There are almost too many feels for me to hit the like button.
Almost too many.
I think I have to read something that's dark or has less feels than average just to decrease the seriousness of my diabetes.

Awwwwwww... okay. Another twidash. Not bad at all, though.

:rainbowdetermined2: :twilightsheepish:

1100955
I think the sequel will surprise you.

1102137 Threesome with a Diamond Dog?

... I'm messed up on so many levels.

1102144
Well... now that you put it that way...
No, I promise it won't turn into a clopfic (I'm not personally a fan of those at all).
But it'll be different from this story in it's own way.

1102154 A sequel - great. Not a clopfic - awesome. :moustache:

So much smiles.
We need someone who sounds like RD to read this... Now ༠༨ ༠
\__/

D'awww. Faving this story. Very cute, and very warm. Great job.

Well written. I still don't like F/F shipping overall, but I just tell my brain to replace Rainbow Dash with Rainbow Blitz (or some similar Rule 63 analog) and things sort of work themselves out. :rainbowlaugh:

1119010
No matter the gender I find shipping to be really adorable.
If you stick around though, I'm gonna be working on a M/M shipfic soon.

1119438
Well, I can't say I like M/M shipping either. If you get my meaning. :twilightsheepish:

1119774
haha Well, unfortunately I'm not really a big fan of straight shipping. I find it a lot easier to relate to homosexuality if you get my meaning:rainbowwild:

1119889
I think I get your meaning. :derpytongue2:

I didn't know Rainbow was a POET!

Take everything I have, because this was just a masterpiece!
Dude, seriously, this was amazing³ !
Love it
so much
Take 5/5 hearts
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Cheers,
Galicorn

that was a really good ending to a good fic :pinkiehappy:

Dude, all my d'aww, you have them. Seriously, this story is so awesome! :twilightsmile:

This fic ... it is pure genius.

My favorite part was in chapter 2 between the CRACK and CRACK CRACK CRACK. I actually speed up my reading during it.

Great Emotions. Great fic.

1097362
ll, you sound like Rarity, 'Darling' .

One word: rushed. I felt like everything was happening much faster than it should've. There were many places where you could've put more actions in between the dialogue. (That was one of the main problems with my TwiDash. It was kinda rushed. I know how tiring it can be to write in such detail, but it's necessary.)
In addition, Twilight's feelings were only found until the very end, making it slightly unrealistic. (This could've also been remedied with more content.)
Last thing: "her" and "she" are only capital at the beginning of a sentence. Even though they are talking about a pony, it's lowercase.

Sorry if that was a bit excessive, just trying to help.

The ending was an absolute cuteness overload. Kudos for doing such a good job. Have a thumb. :twilightsmile:

1216686

Thanks for the feedback!
True, this story does come across as a little rushed. I won't lie either, part of the reason for that is that I am a terribly lazy person. However, another reason for the quicker pace in this story is that TL;DR is a big problem for readers on the internet. I know that this is a site for people who actually want to read, but even then I have to consider their attention span. After all, how many stories have you ever passed up because even though it sounded really good, you weren't sure you were ready to invest that many hours of reading into a fanfic?

I really do appreciate the feedback though, and I really enjoy this site because it makes for great practice. I'm going to start working on an original project soon (not pony related), and the feedback on my fanfiction has been really helping me fine tune my writing, so thank you.

1218970 Sure thing. I know what you mean, I've got long stories on my Read it Later list that I'm waiting on more time for. Just my two bits. :twilightsheepish:

"Some feelings you can't outfly."
I was just thinking about this line recently... Do you watch family guy?

"You can't catch me gay thoughts!"

I was so pissed at Applejack partway through this chapter.

This was amazing, not my OTP but you really sold the emotion in this. It's definitely going in my favorites.

Thank you

ohmygodohmygodohmygod Yes! so much d'awwww! So sad in the middle but with a lovely happy ending, this is as perfect as a Creme Egg! And you should feel special, I don't take creme eggs lightly!

While fairly well written, it seems as though you could easily flesh this story out a lot more. I would recommend pushing yourself; it seems as though you have a lot of talent, but don't put as much effort into it as you should. I would love it if you were to flesh out the tension between Twilight and Rainbow, and especially between Twi, Dash, AJ and Rarity, since you brought those ponies in. I was hoping you would, and it felt a little too rushed. You've got a pretty good start right here, but it's time to expand.

Test your wings, take a leap.

Fly.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

It’s just a fantastic, starry night. I want to show Twilight what life is like in the sky, I want to share my world with her.

What I instantly thought

Then the rest of the mane six walks in in the middle of a make-out session. *starts choking up* Oh gosh... Diabetes... no... Mediceme... Ggakkk...*dies*

Very nice, short, sweet, and to the point. Many said it felt rushed, I didn't have that problem. Regardless, a nice read if nothing else

1218970 This needs an Epilog where there rest of their friends get clued in on what happened. Reading and imagining the look of shock on their faces would be priceless.

Have a like, a fav, and a few derps for all the d'aaaaawwwws! :derpytongue2::derpytongue2::derpytongue2::derpytongue2::derpytongue2::derpytongue2:

Login or register to comment