• Published 12th Sep 2019
  • 2,794 Views, 70 Comments

Kerfuffle's Lower Left Limb Kerfuffles - BronyWriter



Ever wonder how Kerfuffle lost her leg? The Mane Six are curious as well.

  • ...
8
 70
 2,794

Hope Hollow

Rarity hummed to herself as she made her way through the crowd. If she knew her friends, and she liked to think that she did, they'd likely congregate in the middle of the town square so as to have an easy meeting spot. Sure enough, the other five were already there. They smiled when they saw Rarity approach and waved at her.

"So sorry if I'm late, girls. I ran into Kerfuffle on the way over here and we had the most fascinating discussion!"

"Oh, so did she tell you about how she lost her leg?" Twilight asked.

Rarity grimaced and nodded. "She did. Poor dear. I can't imagine being betrayed by a pony you were working to save."

The smiles on the other five instantly fell, only to be replaced by looks of confusion.

"Uh... what?" Rainbow asked.

"Oh, did she not tell you the story?" Rarity replied. "You know, the one about her being a secret agent? She saved a mare she believed to be a hostage, but the mare betrayed her and cut her with a poisoned knife!"

"Poisoned knife?" Rainbow scoffed in disbelief. "Is that, like, code or something? She told me that she had a nasty accident during a hoofball game, and she cut it off to go back to the game!"

"Well that's just silly," Applejack said with a frown. "She told me that she got in an accident while hiking and had ta cut it off to survive."

"So... she didn't save any bunnies from timberwolves?"

"Bunnies?" Twilight raised an eyebrow. "I thought she got it in a lab accident."

"Maybe she did and she was drunk like in my story!" Pinkie said. She frowned in thought and tapped her jaw. "Wait. She told me that she crashed into a china cabinet that landed on her."

"Ah." Rarity grimaced. "It would appear that we have all been had." She chuckled quietly to herself. "Though maybe she should stop fashion and get into fiction. She has the talent for it."

"Maybe she told somepony the real story," Twilight said. She spotted Sunny Skies in the crowd and waved at him. "Mayor Skies? Can we talk to you for a second?"

"Sure thing, Princess Twilight!" Sunny Skies said, walking over with Petunia. "What do you want to talk about?"

"We were kind of wondering about Kerfuffle's missing leg," Twilight said.

Sunny Skies' smile faded and he flattened his ears. "Yeah. Real shame about that. Must have been a real nasty carriage accident to take her leg."

"Carriage accident? What are you talking about?" Petunia replied. "It was a blood clot when she was a foal. That's what she told me."

"Hmm. Yes, that would make more sense than the story she told me about being captured by a serial killer and needing to saw it off to appreciate life more," Mister Hoofington said.

"She gave you that ghastly story?" Missus Hoofington replied. "She said it was during a crash in the middle of Tour de Prance!"

"She told me that it was a disease that was going to spread if they didn't operate!" another stallion said.

"Well she told me that it was it never actually grew in right, and the prosthetic is just attached to what did develop," a mare chimed in.

"She said my Mommy had to give me permission to hear the story because the monster in it was too scary!" a filly said.

"Wow, so, yeah," Twilight said, shaking her head as the townsponies gathered around them. "So has anypony actually heard any overlap in the stories we brought up that she's told?"

Twilight heard various noises of negative and several shaken heads. She tapped her jaw in thought. "Huh. I guess she really doesn't want ponies knowing."

"Or the real story was told to one of us," Rarity pointed out.

"Not likely," Twilight replied. "I don't see why she'd come up with all of this only to put the truth in there somewhere."

"Maybe ta make it seem less plausible?" Applejack guessed.

"Maybe," Twilight muttered.

Before anypony could say anything else, they were all broken out of their thoughts by the sound of Kerfuffle herself humming and walking into the town square. She stopped in her tracks when she saw everypony looking at her, but her smile didn't falter an inch.

"Hi. Whatcha all talkin' about?"

Author's Note:

If I was missing a limb or an eye or something like that, this is exactly what I would do.

Comments ( 36 )

I think the real reason is that Hasbro wanted it to be a way of saying that while Equestria is great, there are somethings magic cannot fix or help with.

I think they did great in showing that with Kerfuffle. Even though it didn't impact her.

Lovely little story, and I do like all of the conflicting stories. Anyone of them or none could be the truth. But it doesn't seem to be bothering Kerfuffle much.

Meanwhile outside of town

Changeling 1:"Okay... I'm back from... OH FOR SISTER'S STAKE STEVE!"

Steve: Don't get mad at me, I told you I didn't want to go with that wall eyed dope unless you played her daughter!

Changeling 3: Seriously guys. I know I sent that memo damn it!

Well, that's quite the kerfuffle she's managed to make ther-

Waaaaait a second.

a commotion or fuss, especially one caused by conflicting views.

This was fun.

Helix Splice gallops in, with Tommy Lee Jones Pony hot on his heels, "THAT'S THE 3-LEGGED CHANGELING THAT MURDERED MY WIFE AND FRAMNED ME FOR IT!!"

Kerfluffle rut-rows and exits stage right!

Scooby-Doo chase scene ensues.

She's then arrested and revealed to be Queen Chrysalis' (more) evil half-sister, who wanted to get Helix off his land for the oil.

"And I woulda gotten away with it, if not fer you meddlin' bronies!"

:trollestia:

Delightful reverse-Rashomon. I do love how Kerfuffle tailored each story to her audience. Creativity's a must for both fashion and fiction, after all. Thank you for a delightful read.

While not as interesting as missing a leg, I do tell a some-what fictional story about how I got a scar on the back of my hand. I tell people who ask I got impaled by an Icicle that nearly went through my hand when I was younger. I do love all of her different stories.

9829656
Well, the whole 'Harmony Powers' thing was just a fan concept that gained a bit of traction in the community. I don't think Applejack has ever been shown as a living lie detector, and the elements of harmony don't bestow any additional powers except for when they are being used for friendship lasers. Or unstoning.

9829613
Don't forget about Stellar Eclipse - sure, he was an OC that got in because of Make-A-Wish, but it's still a pony in the show that had a physical impairment.

:moustache: Broke her hoof off in a dragons butt?. . . Not buying it.
:raritystarry::facehoof:


:rainbowlaugh:

That was delightful. I went into it expecting a simple story about what happened to her, and I'll admit that her story to Twilight got me thinking, "Hey, this seems a bit out of place." Then when I read the next one and saw what was going on, I was smiling the rest of the time.

9829769
She hasn't technically been shown to be a lie detector, but she's been shown to be scary accurate when it comes to sussing out whether or not she's being lied to. Like she can tell, or notices the subtle tics people have when they lie more easily. Everyone has a tell and it takes a LOT of practice to not let it show.

9830106
Which, given that she's given an entire town a different story, I can imagine she has that practice.

9830106
That's fair. It's better to view it that Applejack is generally better than the average pony at realizing somepony's lying to her, but it's not a magic harmony-given ability that's imperfect. She can miss things sometimes. And BW also has a good point, Kerfuffle clearly has a lot of practice in writing many different stories about her leg.

For the entire story, I couldn't help but be reminded of this...

sarahlochelt.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/tumblr_m7wuj0p5zq1rzxlsyo1_500.jpg?w=620

If I ever lost a limb, my answer to that question would be one word, that word being “Leopard”.

I pretty much guessed from the tags and the formatting what was going to happen.

Dan

If I was missing a limb or an eye or something like that, this is exactly what I would do.

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/Category:My_Hobby

I'm a little sad there was no groaner of a "just pulling your leg" feghoot ending here.

9831917 Or if you're me and you know everything, so it's obvious the pony is lying from the start. (Dark secret: Alondro does NOT actually know everything... he's just a P12 telepath in the Psycore)

:trollestia:

9829862
That one I know was based entirely on the condition his creator has. Kerfuffle had more impact in her time I feel.

An interesting take on things, but I can't help but feel that if she is uncomfortable with the truth, then she should just say so most ponies would respect that (sure I'd still be curious, but I would do my utmost not to let it impact my interactions around her). Here's hoping that Kerfuffle is brought back in the future, and perhaps the show staff might tweet or facebook some input on her.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Perfect. :D

9829613
Actually, the fact that it's treated as something that doesn't warrant any kind of special mention is interesting in itself. It makes her a fashion designer who's inherently asymmetrical and even that part somehow never comes up in conversation.

So now that the jig is up and everypony knows she's been (Pulling thier legs :rainbowlaugh:) will she tell them the real truth?

If I was missing a limb or an eye or something like that, this is exactly what I would do.

Remind me to never trust anything you say.


Oh, wait.

10291067
Oh I get the feeling the Mane 6 were wondering what happened to her leg. But they're also not insensitive assholes who would just blatently ask Kerfuffle about it.

Now if she brought her leg and what happened up, then they might say something to the effect that they were wondering.

This is brilliant, and has just won a spot in my Hall of Famous Favourites. Have an upvote too

This is a god damn masterpiece.

So apparently she told a lot of different stories to the town people as well and none of them don't know what really happened to her I guess she doesn't want to talk about it because well I guess she doesn't want to make it too complicated and basically just to keep it herself but that should not stop her what she loves to do this was a pretty interesting story keep up the good work

If its ok with you. I would like to write a fun little sequel to this story.

I absolutely love the fact there is no real answer here, and I think it works really well. Plus, it's a lot more fun to have a bunch of different scenarios for how she could have lost her leg; leave it up to the imagination of course. :raritywink:

Login or register to comment