• Published 11th Sep 2019
  • 524 Views, 2 Comments

Zealous Breeze : Shadow Of The Shy - Bittercup



Zealous Breeze, a young pegasus must contend with living in the shadow of her older sister.

  • ...
 2
 524

Uncertainty

Zealous Breeze slowly undid the ribbons tying her mane into pigtails. Waves of golden locks cascading down her backside gently, large bouncy curls shading over both her violet eyes. Using a tiny teal-colored hoof the filly brushed back her bangs with a feminine smile.

Her reflection in the bedroom mirror that of a petite pegasus nearly hidden by her mane. Most would see a child in this situation, yet if she focused really hard, glimpses of a beautiful mare shined through.

“Ahem.” Fluttershy stood at her bedroom door smiling warmly.

Long pink waves of mane framing her face in an elegant manner. Her yellow coat neatly brushed after a nice warm bath, the older pegasus fluttering over to the filly giggling. Zealous could just blush a light pink over her cheeks, stuttering in embarrassment.

“I was just using your mirror.” Zealous gazed down to her hooves.

“Perfectly fine, where are your pigtails?” Fluttershy unraveled a large wing, hugging her baby sister in a pegasi embrace.

“Pigtails are for babies! I'm trying the grown-out look!” Zealous suddenly flashed an adorable pout towards her older sister, just to have her bangs topple over her eyes again.

“Heehee, like me?” Fluttershy gently pushed a lock of mane behind the filly's ear.

“Ever since you grew out your mane…” Zealous gave a scrunch of her tiny muzzle.

“Hmm?” Fluttershy arched a thin brow.

“Mom and Dad, have treated you like a mare!” Zealous crossed both her hooves huffing.

“Hahaha! Oh, Breezie!” Fluttershy leaned in nuzzling the child's cheek tenderly.

“I want to be a mare too!” The filly pushed her older sister away.

“The mane doesn't make the mare.” Fluttershy flaunted a hoof.

“Bet it helps.” Zealous snorted.

“Breezie, don't be in such a hurry to grow up.” Fluttershy searched her vanity desk carefully with bright turquoise eyes.

“But it's boring here!” The filly locked gazes with the childish reflection before her.

“Trust me, it's far more stressful out there.” Fluttershy plucked a pink butterfly hair-clip off the vanity.

“I see the way mom treats you, so proud.” Zealous pursed her lips into a frown.

Her older sister twisting and bunching up her mane with the softest of touches. Twirling the golden mane into a lovely feminine bun, leaving a few bouncy ringlets of mane to frame her angelic features.

“They're proud of you too!” Fluttershy placed the clip in her sister's mane lovingly.

Zealous tilted her head off to the side in complete awe. She looked so different with a few extra feminine touches as if her sister gave her a piece of her glow. The inner light that seemed to guide her older Sister's actions, one of kindness and compassion.

“You think so?” Zealous beamed with a large joyous smile.

“I know so!” Fluttershy giggled playfully hugging her little sister.

The filly letting a squeal of delight escape her lips. Quickly lunging forward as the tiny teal pony tackled her older sister to the floor, Fluttershy giggling as they both rolled across her room in a playful mess.

Zealous giving a mighty yelp as she easily rolled the larger pegasus onto her side. The filly gasping for air, only to have Fluttershy suddenly glomp over her and pinning her to the ground.

“No fair, you're too fat!” Zealous poked her head out from underneath her sister deflated.

“Nope, you're just too tiny!” Fluttershy placed a kiss on the filly's forehead.

Zealous groaned with sarcasm. Kicking her little limbs until she pushed herself free, pouncing back on to her sister. Soon pinning her down, sitting proudly on top of her chest.

“Gotcha!” Zealous fluffed out her chest proudly.

“Mm-hmm.” Fluttershy smiled.

“Flutter Butter!?” Zealous curled her frail frame into a ball atop her sister.

“Breezie?” Fluttershy replied calmly.

“We'll always be friends right?” Zealous smirked smugly.

“Forever and ever!” The larger pegasus winked.

“You promise to always be there too?” Zealous felt herself squee.

Fluttershy gently cupped her sister's cheek with a tender hoof.

“If you ever need me, I'll be close.” Fluttershy let her smile linger a few seconds.

“Where though?” The filly bit her lower lip, both ears folding back slightly.

Fluttershy silently took the filly by the hoof. Placing it softly over her own heart, the child nodding in place with a teary gaze of understanding.

Both sisters' laid on the floor in a calming silence of the moment. For the first time in a long while, Zealous was perfectly fine with time slowing down.

If only for a moment.


Lunch couldn't come quick enough. Zealous was beyond hungry at the current moment, zooming down the stairs on teal colored wings. The filly a blur of fluff as she lifted her extra stacked oat sandwich to her mouth, taking a large bite.

Fluttershy calmly cantered downstairs daintily sliding into her seat at the kitchen table, the epitome of politeness. The yellow pegasus smiling down to her bowl of fresh garden salad. The girl's mother flashing her daughters a curious smile.

“Oh my, what were you girls up to?” Their mother spoke in the softest of whispers, loving eyes hidden behind turquoise-colored glasses.

“Just chatting about the future.” Fluttershy giggled.

“That, and I opened up a can of whoop flank on Flutters!” Zealous laughed with a muzzle full of food.

“Breeze, table manners.” Their mother pursed her lips.

“What it's true!” The filly stuffed a whole half sandwich into her mouth.

“I'm honestly a bit nervous about moving out.” Fluttershy quipped sweetly, knowing in her heart moving to Ponyville was a wonderful decision.

Though no less scary, being so far from the comfort of home.

“I just know you'll make us proud, dear.” The older pegasus cooed near the kitchen counter.

“Oi, mom! Check out my mane!?” Zealous giggled flashing a confident smile.

“The cottage is very cozy, with a great view of the sky,” Fluttershy replied poking at her salad in a dreamy gaze.

“I'm thinking of maybe getting into mane styling!” Zealous let her tail swish excitedly.

“If you ever get frightened, we'll keep your room tidy.” Their mother held back a few tears, the two older pegasi off in their own little world.

Zealous could feel her muzzle scrunch and tighten. Listening to her family chatting away in front of her, nothing she could do that'd ever outshine Fluttershy.

She was just a baby, a shadow in her sister's glowing radiance.

But with a little charm and some luck.

Perhaps she could one day be more?

After all, she was Zealous.