• Published 20th Sep 2019
  • 1,333 Views, 16 Comments

Wondercolt Weekends - BlueBook



What do Wondercolts get up to on the weekends? An EQG anthology!

  • ...
1
 16
 1,333

Just Us Two Girls Night

"So what’s this about girls' night?” Rainbow Dash crunched into the bell pepper, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, crumbs falling in every direction.

“Oh, um… the girls sent me a text to say they wouldn’t be coming this week.” Fluttershy stroked her long, light pink hair as she spoke.

“What, like, all of them?” Dash raised an eyebrow. She put her sandwich down on the napkin Fluttershy had insisted on giving her at the beginning of lunch.

“Well, um, sort of?” Fluttershy looked down at her phone. “Pinkie says she would've come, only she’s got a birthday party booked tonight.”

Dash rolled her eyes. Pinkie always had some party to go to. But since she’d started work at the cafe, all of them were for six year olds. “What about AJ & Rarity?”

“The fashion show?” Fluttershy frowned, and her eyes narrowed. “They mentioned it yesterday at lunch. Weren’t you paying attention?”

“Heh.” Dash rubbed the back of her head. She hated when Fluttershy gave her 'the look'. “Guess I zoned out? What’s AJ doing there, though?”

“Oh, um, I think she’s working catering?” Fluttershy looked down at her phone again. “Plus, remember what happened the last time Rarity tried to run a fashion show without help?”

Dash shuddered. That weird windowless white room still gave her nightmares. To say nothing of the roller coaster ride. She took a swig from the straw of her soda. “So let me guess, Twilight and Sunset are studying? For a test?”

Fluttershy nodded. “On Monday.”

Dash facepalmed. “On a Friday night! They do know there are like, two more days in the weekend, right?”

Fluttershy sighed. “They said it was for AP Chemistry.”

Dash rolled her eyes. “Yeah… and that’s why I don’t take AP classes!”

“You could.” Fluttershy picked her backpack up, and put it on the seat beside her. “If, um, you really wanted to.”

“Yeah, right.” Dash looked down at her lunch tray, rubbing the back of her head. Awkward. Time to change the subject.“So, uh, do you still want to, maybe like…”

“Um, I suppose? If you aren’t doing anything else, that is.”

“Nah, my schedules pretty open.” Dash took a swig from her drink. Usually, on nights like this, she’d just chill at home and play games. But, hey, it’d be nice to not be alone for once.

“Oh, that’s perfect!” Fluttershy grinned and took her phone from her purse. “Um, do mind if I pick what we do tonight? Usually the girls have already have a few things they want to do.”

Dash snorted. “We could do more things, if you weren't so shy.”

Fluttershy frowned, and turned her attention to her phone.

Damn. Dash bit her lip. You screwed up. Come on, Rainbow, you can fix this. Say something! “Uh, I mean... but I’m, like, cool with doing whatever.”

“Oh. Okay then.” Fluttershy ran her fingers through her hair, brushing it out of her face.

Dash’s face flushed, and she turned her head away. Like, seriously? Does that girl even know how cute she is?

Fluttershy was looking at her now, and put down her phone.

“Well... if you’re alright with it, I’d like check out that new jazz club downtown. Unless that's too fancy?”

“No, uh, t-that’s fine.” Dash laughed nervously, and turned her head. “So, ummm, what time?”

“I’ll pick you up at seven.” Fluttershy leaned over, and threw her arms around Dash. For a moment, she had her friend locked in her hug, but then she drew back slightly. “If, um, that’s ok?”

“Yeah, of course.” Dash nodded. I always forget Shy is a few months older than me. “Man, I wish I had my license.”

Dash winced as the period bell rang loudly. “We’d better get going, ‘Shy.”

“Oh, right!” This time, Fluttershy blushed. She rose to her fee, and tossed her phone in her shoulder bag. Turning her head, she nodded to Dash. “Well, I guess I’ll see you for our Just-Us Girls' Night, then.”

Dash smiled, and waved off her friend as she trudged to her sixth period class. “Yeah, see’ya round! Don’t be ‘shy!”

~~~

Is this the only fancy dress I own? Dash admired her best dress, the one she’d worn to the gala, in the mirror. I hate to admit it, but I really gotta get more outfits. Kinda embarrassing to only have one really good one.

She ran her hands down her sides. Eh, it’ll have to do.

Her phone vibrated, waltzing gracefully across the smooth black surface of the vanity. The doorbell echoed through the house. She’s here, she’s here, grab everything and go, now!

Dash rushed down the stairs, purse and boots in hand. “Com~ing!”

She fumbled with the lock, and opened the door. Fluttershy stood on the stoop, frozen mid knock. Dash teetered, struggling to pull on her right boot while her coach bag slid down her arm.

Fluttershy giggled, hand held in front of mouth. “I’m sorry, Dashie, I didn’t mean to rush you.”

“Huh?” Dash looked up. “Nah, it’s, um, I must have missed yer text.”

“Oh, I see.” Fluttershy motioned to Dash’s purse. “Do you want me to hold that for you?”

“Huh? Oh yeah, sure.” Dash sheepishly handed the bag to her friend, and freed of its encumbrance finally succeeded in pulling on her boot. As she bent over to zip it up, her unruly mane fell forward. She muttered under her breath. “No, bad hair!”

“Hmm?” Fluttershy cocked her head to the side, and leaned forward slightly. “Is something wrong?”

“It's fine, just…gah! Hair!” Dash stuttered, blowing strands of her rainbow mane from her face. Ugh, I must seem like I just rolled out of bed. So much for all that preening earlier.

“Oh, here.” Fluttershy rummage through her purse, and produced a plastic aquamarine hairbrush, and handed it to Dash. “You can use this on the way.”

Dash took the brush, and followed Fluttershy to her car. She opened the passenger door, and sank into the black leather seat. She cleared her throat. “T~thanks, ‘shy. You’re a life saver.”

Fluttershy smiled, and she pulled her seatbelt across her chest. “Buckle up, now!”

“'K.” Dash smirked as she put on her belt. Fluttershy was such a 'Safety-First' driver.

Her friend adjusted the mirrors, and slid the car into reverse. The sedan slipped gracefully out into the street.

Dash flipped down the vanity mirror, and combed her hair back into place. She stole a glance at Fluttershy, face furrowed with concentration. Wow, she looks like I do when I'm running...

Ahead, a stoplight shone red. Fluttershy eased the car to a halt, and turned towards Dash. Her face flushed red, and she looked away. I'm staring at her. Say something. “I, uh, you look nice.”

Fluttershy smiled. “Oh. Um, you too?”

Dash turned away. “T-thanks. Sorry, I'm just, uh.”

Fluttershy bit her lip. “Nervous?”

Dash ran the comb through her hair again. “Dunno. I guess?”

“It's okay.” Fluttershy laid her hand on Dash's arm. “Unlike a certain bunny, I don't bite.”

Dash bit her lip. “Uh, 'Shy?”

“Hm?” Fluttershy smiled at Dash, her eyes have open. “What is it, Dashie?”

The car behind them blared it's horn.

“We can go now. The light is green.”

“Oh.”

~~~

The club was in a old corner storefront: the two-story, brick-built kind from the previous century. It's faded red and green paint gave it a subdued look, that blended into the gloom of the city night. Only the warm orange neon sign in the window proclaiming “Louie’s Jazz” made the building stand out amongst the other, equally ancient buildings in the trendy part of the downtown.

Fluttershy brought the car smoothly to a stop in front of the club, and hopped out onto the curb. Dash cracked her door open, and awkwardly slid out, sticking close to the car as traffic whizzed past on the busy city street.

“So this is the place?” Dash scanned the clubs facade. It revealed nothing extraordinary, simply the softly lit interior of a average looking restaurant.

“Shall we?” Fluttershy deposited her last quarter in the parking meter, and nodded her head towards the club's front door. She held out her hand to her friend. Dash gave her right hand, and stepped up onto the sidewalk. Fluttershy pulled her close as she strode into the club.

Dash stared at the ground as they walked. Gah! 'Shy...you're too close!

A smartly dressed waiter greeted them, and ushered them towards a small round table in the front corner of the club. It was one of many identical, mostly empty tables in the room, which stood before a worn wooden dance floor and the dimly lit stage. The waiter handed them their menus, and with a nod departed for the front desk.

Well, we’re here. Now what? Rainbow Dash plopped herself down in the chair as Fluttershy eased herself into her own spot up against the wall. Behind them, the band shuffled onstage, and began to softly play.

Dash sighed as she unfolded her napkin and arranged her silverware. Everything here is so chill. Not too many people, soft music. No wonder Shy likes this place.

Fluttershy took off her jacket, laying it across the back of the chair, and sat down with her leg demurely crossed.

“This place is nice…”

“I’m so glad you like it…” Fluttershy smiled sheepishly. “I, uh, was afraid you’d think it wasn’t cool enough.”

Dash looked around the room. This wasn’t exactly the kind of place she’d pick. But it was a Fluttershy kind of place, so she didn’t mind. “Well, it’s more like... Zen, I guess? But that’s totally cool.”

“Zen. Hmm.” Fluttershy leaned forward slightly and smiled. “Yes, I suppose it is.”

“Yeah.” Dash turned her head away, tossing her hair. “So, like, what do you wanna get?” She gestured to a menu.

“Let’s see.”

Fluttershy silently flipped through her menu. Dash hesitated, then squinted down at her own. This place has way too much stuff on the menu. Maybe I’ll just go with whatever’s cheapest?

“Do you... do you want to share?”

“Huh?” Dash looked up to see Fluttershy pointing at a picture of a large salad on one of her menu’s pages.

“Uh, sure, let’s split the bill. This place is kinda pricey for me.”

“Me too. Sorry, I've never been here before, I had no...”

“Eh, it’s fine 'Shy. We just came for the vibe anyways, right?”

Just then, waiter reappeared, guiding another party. Fluttershy cleared her throat. “We’ll split the Waldorf salad.”

The waiter extended his hand. “An excellent choice.” The girls handed him the menus, and he was off again, heading toward the kitchen.

Dash looked back at her friend across the table, and bit her lower lip. Crud. We’re always talking at lunch. Usually about the other girls. What are we even going to talk about?

“Isn’t it romantic?” Fluttershy looked towards the stage.

“Jazz?”

“Yes.”

“That’s weird.”

“Why?” Fluttershy pouted, as if the words were a bee sting. “There's plenty of Jazz music about people in love.”

Oh no, that was a mistake. Dash grimaced, but continued. “Well, ‘cause, for me Jazz always makes me think of, like, those old detective movies Rarity likes to watch? Like some sad saxophone music or something.”

Fluttershy leaned back in her chair, and mimed pulling a fedora down over her face. In her best deep and growling voice, she muttered “I knew the dame was trouble the moment I saw her. She had rainbow hair, and looks that could kill.”

Dash clamped her hand over mouth, and doubled over in laughter. She gasped for air, and wiping tears from her eyes. “Yeah, yeah, just like that!”

Fluttershy beamed. “We have to watch Casablanca sometime. It’s a love story... but also kinda like those other movies too. I think you’d like it.”

Dash cracked a grin. “Sure, that sounds great.”

The waiter reappeared, and wordlessly deposited the girls' salad between them, before scurrying once more.

Fluttershy sighed contentedly, prodding the salad with her fork absent-mindedly.

Gotta get her talking again. Dash looked down at their salad, glistening seductively in the low light. But what to say?

“So, uh, played any good video games lately?” Dash winced at her own question. Of course she hasn't, you dummy! That's so not her thing.

“Oh! Funny you should ask,” Fluttershy laid her fork aside, “Lately, I've been borrowing some retro games from Sunset. They're so much more wholesome than modern games, you know?”

“Oh, yeah, didn't you play Sunset on that livestream that one time?” Dash rubbed the back of her head. How could I forget that?

“Mmmhm,” Fluttershy cracked a wry smile. “And I kicked her butt.”

“I remember that!” Dash guffawed, half choking on her food. Why was I so angsty? ‘Shy’s awesome as ever!

The band struck up a new number, dulcet tones flowing across the room like a gentle wave.

“Want to dance?” Fluttershy whispered, bending forewords over the table.

“Dance?” Dash froze, eyes wide. What? “I mean, I can dance but like, not that kind of...”

Please?” Fluttershy laid her hand on top of Dash’s. “Don’t worry, I’ll lead. You just have to follow my steps.”

“But...” Dash gulped. 'Shy was making her 'eyes' at her. Nobody could resist those eyes. “Won’t it be weird, ‘cause we’re both girls?”

“Oh, no. We do it all the time in swing class. And besides...” She gestured to the few older people seated in the rest of the restaurant. “I’m the best partner for you.”

“Uh, ok then.” Dash found herself standing up now. What am I doing!? She held out her hand. “Sure. Let’s dance.”

Fluttershy took her hand, and they walked together to the dance floor.

'Crazy, I'm crazy for feeling so lonely...'

Time was moving as slowly as the song that was playing, the world seemed blurry to Dash. When it snapped into focus, Fluttershy had her in a dancing position, and they were swaying rhythmically back and forth.

'I'm crazy, crazy for feeling so blue...'

The song made speech; thought unnecessary. She was close, too close to Fluttershy now and they were both blushing, but she didn’t really care. She was thinking only about matching her feet’s movements with her partners.

'Worry, why do I let myself worry?'

I think I like this. Rainbow beamed at her partner.

'Wondering what in the world did I do?'

Fluttershy closed her eyes, and sighed. Their movements were becoming more closely linked, and she squeezed her partners waist tightly.

“I really like this, ‘Shy.” The words poured from Dash's mouth, without thought. She felt as is she were overflowing. Taking a deep breath, she haltingly continued. “Dancing, I mean. Can you... can you teach me some of your moves later?”

“I'd love to!” Fluttershy spun the pair around.

Dash pressed closer to her partner. “So, what do we want to do after dinner?”

“Do you want to spend tonight at my place?” Fluttershy blushed, and bit her lip. “Gaming, I mean?”

Dash smiled. “I thought you'd never ask.”

~~~

Dash leaned her head against Fluttershy shoulder. Her friend was transfixed by the game on the TV screen, but pulled the blanket wrapped around them closer.

“Hey, ‘Shy?”

“Mmm?”

“Can we... do this more often?”

“Oh?” Fluttershy laid the joy stick on the coffee table, and turned to face her.

Dash could feel a lump growing in her throat. But she felt her friend squeeze her hand, and somehow that made things better. “I mean, we still hang out.” She sighed, and sank deeper into the couch. “But only when we’re with the other girls, lately. And we used to hang, like, all the time.”

“Oh, Dashie, it’s not like it doesn’t count just because we’re with the girls.”

“Yeah, but, I mean, then there’s nights like tonight...”

“What about them?”

“Well, I kinda keep to myself when the girls aren’t around...” Dash looked at her feet. Her eyes were starting to water. “But it doesn’t mean I want to be alone, ya’know? Sometimes, I just want to spend time with you.”

“Oh, Dashie.” Fluttershy wrapped her arms around Dash. “I’m sorry. If I’d known, I would have...”

“No, I’m sorry.” Dash wriggled free of her friends hug. “Should’ve said something forever ago. I’m not supposed to be the shy one, ya know?”

Fluttershy pulled her legs on to the couch.

“Ugh. I’m super bad with all that touchy-feely stuff.” Dash moaned and threw her head back.

“Rainbow?”

Dash turned her head. Fluttershy rarely called her by her full first name; that wasn’t good. Darn it, why’d I go and ruin a perfectly good night out with being honest. Who am I, AJ?

“Will you promise that, um, the next time you feel lonely you’ll just text me?”

“Uh, yeah, sure?” Dash blushed. “But like, if you wanna hang, just the two of us, will you text me too?”

“Of course.” Fluttershy wrapped her arms around Dash. “I’d like that a lot, Dashie.”

Dash sighed, tension melting away into exhaustion. What a relief. Glad we cleared that up, another victory for friendship. Everything’s back to normal. Wait, no, better than that. Sooo much better. Hang on though. Does this? Are we?

“Hey, uh, ‘Shy?” She intertwined her fingers with Fluttershy’s.

Fluttershy gently kissed Dash’s cheek. “Mhmm?”

"We’re, uh, dating now, right?”

“Yes, dear.”

“Cool.”

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed this latest installment of Wondercolt Weekends! It's been a long time in the making, so I hope you'll find it worth your wait!