• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 20,540 Views, 798 Comments

For Lack of a Better Word - Gunsmith



Human-in-Equestria, 1st-Person present time. A love story.

  • ...
35
 798
 20,540

Chapter Twenty-Four

I slowly open my eyes, blinking a few times to adjust to the blinding light in the room. I notice that I feel especially well-rested this morning, my eyelids not heavy with tiredness, my body not cramped up as it sometimes gets when I sleep for long periods of time. My bed feels perfect, warm enough to be cozy, cool enough to not be uncomfortable. It seems unusually bright in my room this morning; I eventually blink out the blur in my eyes.

I realize it seems unusually bright in my room because this isn't my room. The four white walls reflect most of the sunlight streaming in through two open windows, one on either side of the bedroom. The bed I lie in isn't mine, either; covering me is a thick, purple bedspread, bearing a very familiar symbol that I can just barely make out with how messed up the blankets are. A lump begins to form in my throat as I begin to understand where I am and why I am where I am.

A light snore causes me to look down towards the source. The snore came from a light blue face, chromatic mane spilling down part of it, eyes closed in peaceful sleep, a small smile on the face. Rainbow Dash's breath glances off of my bare chest, feeling cool and soft. Her silk-like mane is very thoroughly mussed, more so than what would be caused from just sleeping. I become conscious of a light touch against my side, what I know without looking to be her foreleg, wrapped over me. My own arms hold her close to my chest, soft, smooth fur on my fingertips. I can feel her steady heartbeat against me, every breath she takes in and lets out.

It takes everything I have not to jump out of my skin at the realization of what I know I have done. Oh, Christ, what the hell was I thinking? How many laws of nature have I disregarded and broken? What if something actually happens, what kind of horrific creatures would--

The pony curled up against me stirs, starting to wake up. I watch her motionlessly, in some state of shock. She opens her eyes revealing tired, friendly, rose-colored irises, amazingly huge. They travel up my chest, meeting my eyes. Rainbow blinks, smiling happily. After a moment, she reaches up towards me, pressing her lips against mine. I start to lose myself within the familiar taste that burns just enough to be spicy, but not so much that it is painful in any way, in the smell of her breath, her soft snout meeting my nose and mouth. We share a long, deep kiss, breaking away reluctantly after some time.

I know exactly what I was thinking. I've done nothing wrong. In fact, I've done everything right. I didn't make love to a pony last night, I made love to Rainbow Dash, someone who I have true, genuine feelings for, who I care about more than anything in the world. She snuggles closer to my chest, closing her eyes again with a blissful sigh. I move my right hand a little farther down her back, running my fingers against the edge of her wing. In response, her wing extends a little, and I continue to stroke it. After a while, my hand leaves her wing, traveling to the spot on her back between her wings. I brush my fingers down the small portion of her spine, smiling to myself as she shivers, humming a little as she sighs again.

"Last night was awesome," she whispers into my chest, her scratchy voice sounding beautiful in the morning air. I continue to smile and rub her back, transferring to her other wing. My gaze drifts lazily around the room, surveying it. To say the least, it's trashed. Pieces of clothing, most mine, are strewn about the place, among spilled books, a fallen poster or two, and a lot of dents in the malleable cloud walls. Wow. I didn't realize we tore her room up that bad. She's definitely passionate, to say the least. Spicy, in all forms of the word, I muse with a smile.

After a few more minutes of cuddling, we decide it's time to get up. I pull Rainbow out of her bed with me, holding her eye-level with me. I look into her bright, warm eyes for a moment, then give her a few quick kisses on her neck and cheek. She giggles happily, then lets me set her down on the cloud floor, where she stretches out her wings, glancing around at the messy room. She chuckles to herself, looking a little proud at having wrecked the room so thoroughly with me. I start picking things up as I see them, slipping on my shirt, pants, socks, and shoes once I find them all, re-organizing the stack of Daring Do novels on the bedside table again, putting away a pair of colorful stockings that I don't quite see the purpose in. The room is soon back in orderly fashion; nothing was broken, thankfully. Dash and I head downstairs together, breakfast assumedly on her mind as it is mine.

I come into the kitchen a second after she does, and find her greeting her pet tortoise, Tank. She grins at him, pressing her nose against his with a little laugh. The reptile smiles back to her, using the helicopter-like contraption strapped to his shell to hover over to the low-sitting cloud table, where he settles down. The sky-blue mare trots over to a counter, jumping into the air and hovering for a moment to reach a cupboard. She grabs a yellow apple in her teeth, tossing it back and kicking it with her hind leg. I catch the projectile apple, grinning at her. Grabbing her own apple plus one more, she sits down at the table, joined by me. Rainbow Dash rolls the extra apple over to Tank, then begins working on her own apple.

By the time the Pegasus and I core our apples, the tortoise is about a fourth of the way through his. I idly watch him take impossibly slow bites, not helped by the fact he isn't very big; very slow, small bites.

"What was the word Twilight used? 'Ironic'? Yeah. She said it was pretty ironic that I have a tortoise as my pet. I guess I can see it." I give her a lopsided smile, looking between her and the ridiculously slow reptile. I find myself losing focus, my thoughts drifting elsewhere.

"Hey," Rainbow Dash says, causing me to look up at her. Her cerise eyes look at me with concern. "Are you alright?" I nod my head, glancing down. "C'mon, don't lie. What's wrong?" I don't know what's wrong, that's the problem. "It's me, isn't it? Last night?" Frowning to myself, I sigh, nodding lightly. "Was it...bad, or something? Did I do something wrong?" I hold up my hand, shaking my head to stop her. I lean back so I can fit my hand into my pocket, and bring out a crumpled piece of paper, smoothing it out on the table.

No, that was amazing. You were amazing. I'm just I don't There's a lot on my mind. Last night was very fast. Maybe we rushed it, in the heat of emotion.

She frowns, passing the paper back to me. "I..." She sighs, looking me in the eyes. "Maybe you're right. You're right a lot," Dash says with a small smile. "I just...I've always wanted you to like me the way I like you. And last night, you did. I saw it in your eyes." She pauses, giving a quick snort of laughter. "That sounds really creepy, doesn't it?" I smile, chuckling a little. "But I did. And I knew you liked me back. And I guess things just...kind of went from there. I dunno'." I hold her gaze for a few more seconds, then begin writing again.

I do like you, a lot, more than a lot, as much as you like me, maybe more. And I think I always have, but I just didn't want to admit it. But maybe we should figure some things out before doing what we did again.

She nods. "I guess. But...you do like me, like me like me? I didn't do anything wrong?" I smile to her, then decide I know a better way to get her to stop worrying. I lean forward over the small table, meeting her face with a kiss. She makes a little hum of surprise, then wraps her forelegs around my neck. When I pull away from her lips, I open my eyes again, seeing a satisfied look on her face and her wings flared out. She giggles happily to me, pleased with my response. I scribble out a new note.

No, you didn't do anything wrong, and yes, I like you like you. But we do need to think some things through. Like, what will everyone else think? I don't want you to be shunned because of me.

"Who cares what everypony else thinks? If they have something to say, they can deal with me," Rainbow says, placing a hoof against her chest and flashing that confident grin. I frown, not convinced. "I don't care, Mark. And if anypony else cares, they'll just have to deal with it. You're just like the rest of us, on the inside. And it's not like you're, I dunno', a dragon or anything. In fact, you go around helping people all day!" she exclaims. "Believe it or not, a lot of ponies actually like you a lot. I don't think they'll give a pony's flank about you and me."

I smile to her, nodding lightly in agreement. I write down the next thing on my mind.

What about kids? You know if you're with me, we can't have any. I hope we can't have any.

She grimaces at that mental image. "Maybe I should ask Twilight about that...or Fluttershy. She might faint, though," she says with a chuckle. "I dunno'. I haven't ever really thought about that. I mean, I always figured kids would just hold me back, keep me from being a Wonderbolt. But then again, I thought that about having a coltfriend, too." A warm smile to me. "I guess if I ever do want a kid, we could just adopt one. There's more orphaned foals out there than you think. Scoots told me about it." Dash frowns in thought. "Poor kid. I feel her pain...still, I dunno'. I don't think I'd make a good mom." I smile to her. Probably not, but you've got me to keep you in line. My pencil scrawls out the last thing bothering me.

What we did last night still seems taboo

"What's a 'taboo'?" Rainbow Dash questions, interrupting me. I cross out the word, continuing.

like it would be frowned upon by society. I don't know if I'm okay with it. It was fun, and awesome, but maybe we should slow down before going that far again.

She reads the page, then holds my eyes with hers. "You know I hate going slow," Rainbow says seductively. I smile, chuckling softly. "You're probably right, though. Maybe when we're not crying our eyes out next time," she says with a playful grin. I laugh, nodding in agreement. Tank finally finishes his apple, grabbing the core in his tiny jaws and lifting off of the table, traveling over to what appears to be a trash bin--made of clouds, of course. Dash and I watch Tank return to the table, the whirring rotor on his back shutting down once he lands.

"How about we take Tank for a walk, go see what everypony else is doing today? Maybe we can get everypony together for a picnic or something," she suggests. I smile happily, nodding. We stand from the table, stretching. "Come on, Tank, wanna' go for a walk?" The tortoise hovers up eagerly, joining us as we head out the door.

***

We walk together--well, I walk; Tank and Rainbow Dash both hover to my side, the tortoise aviator between the Pegasus and me--through the streets of Ponyville, the day coming to a close as we aim for Rainbow's house. All in all, it was a good day. We had walked with Tank for a while, going around to each of her friends' homes to see what they were doing. It turned out nobody was really doing anything, so Twilight helped arrange a nice picnic for lunch.

Dash made it obvious to her friends that her and I are an item, now. They were a little surprised when she flat-out French kissed me during conversation, but I suppose that's Rainbow Dash at her usual. The others actually took quite well to it, congratulating us and commenting on how happy we seemed together. Rarity about lost her mind, babbling for about five minutes straight about 'forbidden love' or something like that. She ended up having to be silenced by all of her friends at once; the way she sort of snapped back into reality was pretty comical.

After leaving the picnic, we decided to go spend the day out by Luna Lake, in the field. She and Tank had a blast flying around in the nice weather of the day, and I had an excellent time watching them. I only wish I could fly with her, but watching her from atop a cloud and having her blast by me every once in a while will more than suffice. Just watching her fly is an experience like no other; the grace, yet the ferocity, with which she flies makes for a beautiful display, every time.

I feel a sudden impact on my back, causing me to stumble forward a little. Sky-blue legs wrap over my neck and around my waist, grabbing on to the front of my torso. I glance back, and receive a nuzzling on the cheek from Dash. Smiling, I turn forward again, carrying her piggy-back style for a ways. I catch many a questioning look from passersby, but I don't care, and neither does the Pegasus on my back. Every so often, a soft, light blue snout will rub against my neck or cheek. We walk through the darkening roads, approaching her house in the sky.

I slow to a stop, releasing the grip on her hind legs. She lets herself fall off of my back, going into a hover again and coming around to my side. I look over at her, then at Tank, smiling at them.

"Do you think, maybe...you could sleep with me for tonight? I mean, just sleeping, with me, in my bed, nothing else," she says quickly, smiling with some embarrassment. I smile back, deciding my house can take care of itself for another day. I nod to her, and she grins happily. "Awesome! C'mon, I'll go get a cloud." She streaks off, followed by a trail of color that glows brilliantly in the late afternoon sky. I wait patiently until she returns with a small cloud, then hop on to the makeshift elevator.

We are soon back atop the cloud that supports her floating house, and walk inside. The three of us trek up the long, winding stairs, eventually reaching her bedroom on the top floor. Tank hovers over to a small blanket on the floor, setting down and slinking into his shell. I walk over to one side of the bed, pulling off my shoes, socks, and upon a little thought, just my shirt. Pulling the covers back, I watch as Dash jumps into her bed, smiling happily to me. I clamber in next to her, pulling the blankets up again. She wiggles over towards me, still smiling. I lift my arms, letting her curl up against my chest, then lay my arms over her protectively, stroking her wings and back idly.

"G'night, Mark. Thanks for staying another night," she says softly. I smile down at her, brushing a hand through her mane. I lean down towards her, closing my eyes. A welcome spicy taste enters my mouth once more, warming me all the way through. She smells so nice, like ozone mixed with the faintest hint of chili peppers. We reluctantly pull away after what feels like an eternity. Rainbow Dash sighs happily, burying her head in my chest and closing her eyes.

I lay my head back against the soft pillow, closing my eyes while my mind continues to run. I make a silent promise to the small, soft, warm pony starting to fall asleep against me, to never let anything happen to her, to always be there for her, to never let her down. Maybe it's a promise I can't keep, but I'm going to try as hard as I possibly can to keep it.

Satisfied with itself, my mind begins going over the events of this day and the last, trying to figure out where I go from here.