• Published 21st Nov 2019
  • 2,414 Views, 35 Comments

Crushes - James Pwyll



What if Spike grew fond of somepony other than Rarity when he came to Ponyville?

  • ...
6
 35
 2,414

Fluttershy

"...Oooooookay, it was nice talking with you," Twilight said with some uncertainty as she slowly backed away from the timid mare before her. Fluttershy had been so quiet, and so obviously struggling with the interaction, that Twilight silently decided that it'd probably be for the best if she left her alone. Fortunately, this was the moment when Spike finally arrived onto the scene, walking out from behind a nearby bush, and so she walked over to meet with her assistant.

But Fluttershy, seeing this small figure arrive, widened her eyes to the sight, and she flew a few feet into the air, looking completely ecstatic at this sight. "A BABY DRAGON!!!" She darted forward, not even aware of the fact that she completely knocked Twilight out of the way when she landed right next to Spike. But all she really cared about right now was that an adorable little critter was in front of her, and she was sure to let him know it. "Oh, he's so cute!"

Spike, who was always willing to let his ego be stroked every now and again, cast a smug look back to Twilight. "Well, well, well!"

Fluttershy smiled enthusiastically to this unexpected moment in her life. "Oh my, he talks! I didn't know dragons could talk. That's just so incredibly wonderful I...I just don't even know what to say!" She took his claw, giving it a gentle shake. "I'm Fluttershy! What's your name?"

Spike smiled back to her. "Oh. It's Spike. But you can call me Spiky if you like."

Twilight slapped her own forehead. "Really?!"

Spike frowned to her, but was taken aback at just how interested Fluttershy was in speaking to him. "I never seen a dragon before. I never knew they could be so...so...so... oh my!" She whisked him up, cradling him and holding him like he was the most cuddly teddy bear in the world. "I've been around so many wonderful creatures in my life, but I've never been around one as wonderful as you!"

Spike, though having been hugged by several ponies in his life, had never seen this level of affection directed to him, and so started to blush in the embrace of this mare. "Er...hehe...I try."

Fluttershy giggled, responding to that by giving him a quick boop on the nose. "Aren't you just the most precious little guy?"

Spike chuckled nervously, then glanced back to Twilight. "Can we maybe stay here and talk with her a bit longer? The party can wait, right?"

Twilight hung her head, groaning. "Note to self, never underestimate ponies' ability to be taken in by cuteness."

Author's Note:

Okay, confession time, I actually remember when the first episode came out and how odd it seemed to me that Fluttershy, the one mare who actually had a real interest in Spike, wasn't the one he developed a crush on. But hey, that's what fics like these are for, right? :raritywink:

Comments ( 16 )

Now that you mention it, it is a bit surprising that Spike never seemed to have a crush on Fluttershy given how starstruck she was on first meeting him. :yay: Though I suppose that there it was more her being struck that he was a dragon rather than anything more specific. *shrugs* Who knows how the heart works?

Thank you for the story. It was a fun and cute exercise to see these four alternate possibilities. :twilightsmile:

Not to mention a dragons ability to also be taken in by cuteness.
And now that you mention it, Spikes obsession with Rarity probably was somewhat a hindrance to the show. Fluttershy was arguably a better fit, but it could go further. He could have had multiple crushes throughout the show. I wonder if there's a fic retelling of there whole series like that. I'm definitely not ambitious enough to write it.

Spike gets all the ladies :moustache:

REALLY good job on this short series of "What Ifs". I am most impressed by how ALL of them kept the characters IN-character.

Though, of course, Spike will probably have a great deal of competition from Discord a couple years down the road in this scenario (and, considering the power advantage Discord has over Spike, it would probably be a Comically Lopsided Rivalry because there wouldn't be ONE thing Spike could do for Fluttershy that Discord couldn't do literally a thousand times better).

Wait?

Crushes...

Pinkie Pie.
Applejack.
Rainbow Dash.
Fliuttershy.



... SPIKE HAS A BETTER LOVE LIFE THAN I HAVE!

What if Spike had a crush on somepony else... hmmm...

"Oh Granny Smith!!"

(collective projectile vomiting) :rainbowlaugh:

Delightful little what-if scenarios. I almost wish you'd done one for Rarity where Spike wasn't head over heels for her, just for the sense of completion. Still, thank you for some wonderful bits of surreal nostalgia. The Season 1 vibes are strong with this fic.

If I recall correctly, Fluttershy was actually meant to be Spike's crush at some point, but they quickly dropped that idea. Later on, they needed a way to point out that Rarity was distinctly attractive (seeing as the Mane Six's vector models were and still are all the same), so they had Spike make a few remarks about how beautiful she was. Having that scene in mind, they ended up revisiting the old idea of giving Spike a crush, and we wound up with eight-and-a-half seasons of a certain little dragon fawning over a certain unicorn seamstress.

...This is all just a really long-winded way of saying I like all these vignettes you've made. Good job!
:)

Kind of comes off as the precursor to any given Spike harem story.

Daww what a cute little collection of "what-if's"/stories exploring just a little bit of what if Spike fell for somepony else that wasn't Rarity^^ <3 All in character, pretty well written:) My only complaint is that it was too shortXD I want more, lolXD I hope we get some form of a sequel to this:) While I would love full separate stories for each concept introduced in this collection, I have a feeling that the more realistic plan, I can imagine for you, is to tackle one of these ideas. AKA just explore one what if with one more. While I love all these ideas and all are interesting in their own right, I would love it if you explored the What if with Fluttershy. It would make sense for the story of FIM for Spike's crush to go on too long as it did because Fluttershy is too shy and too kind to hurt Spike's feelings. Plus, she would see no harm in this little crush until she sees clearly that Spike actually sees potential in their relationship. It would make sense for Spike in this scenario to see potential in their relationship from his perspective because Fluttershy is so kind and sweet to him all the time, spoiling him with love and just keeps calling him cute. With the help of her friends, animals, and Discord (another reason why I would love to explore this story idea is because the fun rivalry and conflict that would arise between Spike and Discord. Plus, you can slowly develop their friendship from this rivalry. And perhaps explore the slow progression of Discord having feelings for Flutters if you ship Fluttercord too:3 But you don't have to explore that aspect if you don't want toXD Lol! Sorry, I ship FluttercordXD) Fluttershy can reasonably break the news to the little guy without being too shy about it and do it in a clear way. Then, we can finally have a story about Spike learning how to move on from a childhood crush:)

Damn cute!:moustache:

So is each chapter a separate AU respectively or is all of this with Spike crushing on somepony happening on the same day?

I think this is the best one out of the four.

Login or register to comment