• Published 8th Sep 2019
  • 508 Views, 7 Comments

Oh, don't you worry about me - S Olin S



Golden Delicious has always been a very selfless pony, helping others whenever needed. But what about when he needs it?

  • ...
0
 7
 508

Always Happy to Help

Author's Note:

Yeah, this one's a day late. But I didn't have the chance yesterday.
Anyways, here's a story about how Dels's having an internal struggle and refuses to tell anypony about it!

Golden Delicious, Del, Goldie, or whatever else anypony wanted to call him that day was among the most selfless ponies anypony knew.
Thanks in part to him being raised on the farm where he was taught to be hard working and do whatever needed to be done, he always had an 'Always happy to help' mentality.
Whether it was helping Starburst, Twilight's daughter, practice her fighting skills by sectioning off some of Sweet Apple Acres for her, or when Nidra Luna's daughter, needed help after a breakup, Del was always happy to help.

But nopony ever asked: Does Del ever need help?
Well, yes. Yes, he does.


Sweet Apple Acres

Star was at the farm, doing a whole lot of different fighting moves which Del didn't understand one bit of. But still, he loved to watch her do it. With this section of the farm sectioned off, as well as the infrequency of ponies to ever go out this far, save for apple-bucking day, Star was allowed to do nearly whatever she pleased, as long as it didn't damage the trees. For that, he had hay bales set up around for her to mutilate as much as she desired.

And she was doing this all while Del's thoughts tormented him.
You see, for the past month, Del had noticed that Star and Prism Bolt Dash's son, had been getting along a bit more than he preferred.
He wasn't against Star having other friends, oh heavens no he'd heard the stories of when Discord and Rarity had those very same problems.
No, it wasn't that Star had made other friends. It was simply that it seemed that Star was getting comfortable with those other friends.
TL;DR, Del presumed correctly that Star had grown a crush for Prism.
You see, that wasn't acceptable. Why? Well, because Del had already grown one for Star.
Del wasn't exactly sure why he had done so. Perhaps it was Star's looks, which I wouldn't blame him for, or maybe it was the valuable time they had spent together. But no matter the reason, Star liked Prism. Why? I don't know I guess he's got wings and that's all you need.
But of course, as with all things you try and keep a secret from your closest friends, they tend to show themselves.
An example perhaps being today, at the farm.

Star obliterated a hay bale with a single hit and then decided that it was time for a break.
She sat down next to Del, and grabbed a mug of cider.
"Man, this is all hard work," She commented.

"Oh, yeah. Ah can only imagine. Seems like your second favourite thing to do on the weekends, too." Del replied, knowing full well that the first was.

"Second? Now I'm curious what you think the first is."

Del didn't plan for that question... He couldn't say Prism because that would just cause problems.
"...uh, Well... I imagine that you enjoy reading up on the royal guard..." Del terribly lied. You know that's a big difference between Star and her mom, Del!

"Oh Celestia no," Star shot back. "That's the only part I don't like. Fighting? Like now? The best. Actaully learning from a royal guard themselves nearly tied. But reading about them? I wish I could just pass on that."

"Oh... Well... Ah would've..." Think, Del! You've dug yourself this far! "...That, since ya aspire to be the captain, then you would enjoy reading about the responsibilities and... conditions to become one." Ah yes, perfection.

"Sadly, I do have to read about that. At least it's the only thing I need to read about."

Oh, but if Prism wrote a book then you'd be all over that.
"Ah guess I was wrong in that case. But I'm sure that there's somethin' else." Del assumed.

Star thought for a moment. "Uhh, nothing I can think of off the top of my head. You know how I like to practice."

"That is true, you do often go until you pass out," Del cited, remembering how many times Star would some out and practice her fighting skills so much that she would just collapse. It's happened so many times now that it's not surprising when it happens, and Del just brings her inside.

"Yeah," Star laughed, a rare occurrence. "I still remember being dazed when I first woke up in your bedroom after that happened."

"Oh yeah, you hadn't quite gotten it all back yet and thought ah had kidnapped you," Del liked remembering those times. The times when Star valued Del as he did her.

"Oh yeah, and I 'escaped' out your window after several tries..." Star looked up at the sky and noticed that it was noon. "Well, I'd better get going, mom always wants me to be home before 1:30 for homework."

Ah yes, her great escape. Of course, after she gets done with that she can go and spend more time with Prism...
"Oh, of course. Ah know what it's like when you're late for things like that. I can speak from personal experience."

"Well, bye, Del. I'm looking forward to coming back here tomorrow," She said as she packed up and flew off to Canterlot.

But, of course, she wasn't looking forward to it. After all, it was time spent not with Prism.
Del wasn't mad at Star, but he internally expressed it that way. He wasn't furious, he was depressed at the fact.
Was it unfair? No, of course not. Star can do whatever she well pleases with Prism. Especially since she doesn't know, of course. But Del couldn't get over the fact that Star probably definitely had a crush on Prism.
He can't express this to anypony of course. If he did they'd just think he was irrationally angry with Star and jealous of Prism.
Only half of that was really true.
Del knew that, objectively, there was nothing wrong with this. Star can be attracted to whoever she wants. That doesn't change Del's feelings, but it just makes him feel worse since he feels like he's lost something he never had.
Will Star and he remain great friends? Of course. Will Star and Prism become better friends? Of course...
Del will always play second fiddle, and de's not excited for it.